Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya – 10 (END) »« Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya – 08

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya – 09

Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   01 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   02 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   03
Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   04 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   05 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   06
Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   07 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   08 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   09
Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   10 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   11 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   12
Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   13 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   14 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   15
Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   16 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   17 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   18
Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   19 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   20 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   21
Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   22 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   23 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   24
Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   25 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   26 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   27
Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   28 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   29 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   30
Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   31 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   32 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   33
Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   34 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   35 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   36

「ここで終わらせる」 (Koko de Owaraseru)
“I’ll End It Here”

Miyu’s desperate battle juxtaposed with Illya’s conflicted decision. If only Berserker would just die!

Mama Iri the Wise

Irisviel (Oohara Sayaka) is back! It’s hard to know exactly how much Iri knows about Illya’s whole situation, and at first blush it seems convenient that her advice just happens to fit Illya’s situation so perfectly (& her arrival comes at just the right time), when a normal parent would be going “My daughter sounds like she’s doing something dangerous? Forbid it immediately! PROTEEECT!!”

Then you remember that Iri is not a normal parent. Long-time Fate fans (or anyone who has watched Fate/Zero) will know why, but even new fans can see that Illya’s massive latent magical potential hints that she’s more than a normal girl, and everything Iri does so reeks of “I know what’s going on” that it actually stops feeling convenient and makes her just seem very wise and knowing. I think that avoids making her arrival annoyingly convenient, so it works well.

Then again, maybe I’m just happy to see her again. Seeing these characters who once were so mired in death and tragedy all alive and happy again…well, it feels good. It feels damn good.

Berserker: Finally the Badass End Boss

In most of the routes of the original Fate/stay night, Berserker seemed to get a bad rap. He suffered badly from the Worf effect (trope!), in that his main role was to be super strong, but get the shit kicked out of him to show that the other, less obviously strong characters (i.e. the ones that weren’t rippling with muscles) were badasses too.

No longer. Berserker is finally getting to be the super powerful, dangerous, and badass end boss he deserves to be. So strong Miyu can’t afford to get hit, dies three times during this episode and keeps on trucking, begins resisting Miyu’s attacks…he’s a terror, and I’ve always been glad that he was the end boss rather than Saber…not the least because that gives rise to Saber Miyu.

Yes, the needlessly skimpy chest area of the outfit is completely unnecessary, and isn’t as stylish as Archer Illya. If that’s the only mistake they make, I’ll let it pass. Largely that has been the case.

When In Doubt, Do What You Will Regret Least

As I’ve said in previous posts, Illya’s fear is totally understandable. She could absolutely die for the benefit of some jackass mages off in London, and where is the fun in that? The problem is that Miyu is still fighting. If it was experienced people like then Illya could probably leave them alone – perhaps assuming that Ruby had left her alone and gone with them – but not Miyu.

Then thing I took away from Iri’s advice to Illya is that she should do what she’ll end up regretting the least. Here I’ll invoke Jeff Bezos’ Regret Minimization Framework, which (stated loosely) is as follows: Imagine you’re at the end of your life looking back. Ask yourself, which choice minimizes the amount of regret I have? Take that option, even if you fail.

To me, Iri put the choice in stark relief for Illya. Yes, she was scared, but what would be worse: to go and be scared, or to not go and let Miyu shoulder it all alone? The choice was obvious once she thought about it.

Looking Ahead – The Finale

First of all, let me just say that I loved the partial cliffhanger they left us on. They could have cut it off right as Miyu was getting maybe-hit, but they didn’t do that, instead giving us the heartwarming moment of Illya coming to the rescue, while still leaving the whole what-we-gunna-do-about-Berserker thing up in the air. Which means that next time is–the finale!? Yes, this is only a ten episode series, so the next one is the last one. Expect amazing happenings then, as well as my final impressions. Until then!

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Iri reminds Illya of what’s important as Miyu fights for her life & friend. Berserker, you’re going down! #prismaillya 09

Random thoughts:

• I liked Ruby’s little bath, but I didn’t find it cute exactly. Probably because I know she’s trolling everyone. Trolls get the water!
  • Yeah, I don’t know either, Shirou.
  • An Excalibur yell worthy of the real Saber, that.
  • Never has a magical girl been more badass. It’s at least in the Top 10, that’s for sure.
  • They changed the ED sequence (if not the song) to fit the mood! Glad to hear they’re finally listening to me. Keep up the good work, Silver Link.

I just reached a pretty big milestone in the book I’ve been writing! You can read more on my blog at stiltsoutloud.com.

ED Sequence

Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   ED2   01 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   ED2   02 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   ED2   03

ED: 「Prisma Sympathy」by StylipS

Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   Preview 01 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   Preview 02 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   Preview 03

End Card

Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   09   End Card
September 7, 2013 at 1:39 am
  • September 7, 2013 at 1:53 amBeedle

I just had a thought o_o Stilts, grab your blood packs and prepare to get your mind blown!

• September 7, 2013 at 2:54 amn0216332

Or you just get loli head with berserker body.

• September 7, 2013 at 10:52 amStilts

I think that we wouldn’t see anything untoward :P That would be a little too flagrant, not to mention illegal for all sorts of reasons.

• September 7, 2013 at 7:04 pmMasterDragonKnight

Another thing that will blow your mind is this scene, if you imagine Berserker holding Sapphire and becoming a magical girl.

Mahou Shoujo ☆ Berserker ~

• September 7, 2013 at 9:35 pmKariudo

you mean this?

• September 7, 2013 at 1:54 amRadiosonde

Nooo. The next episode is the final one. Season 2 please! Zwei and Drei are even more exciting than the first arc!

• September 7, 2013 at 2:30 ambelatkuro

I think it’s less of the skimpy chest area and more of the midriff area being forced to be exposed is what’s the issue with Saber Miyu’s outfit. Saber’s outfit without the armor is like that, minus the exposed belly button.
    No matter, delicious midriff is delicious. Though they need to at least be consistent with Miyu’s chest size.

• September 7, 2013 at 10:51 amStilts

Where are you looking!?

No, but seriously, clearly the magical girl outfit provides extra support, because reasons? I dunno, I’m in this for the plot.

(The actual plot, people!)

• September 7, 2013 at 11:50 ambelatkuro

I…just have a keen eye for these things :3

Or maybe they’re pads? I dunno how that works, I’m not a magical girl. Or a girl.

• September 7, 2013 at 2:43 amgawrshness

You know I really appreciate how they connect this series to the more serious Fate Stay Night by having similar things happen under similar circumstances, it’s a nostalgic throwback, like Miyu turning into Saber to fight Berserker which like the original Saber vs Berserker fight went wrong and ended with Miyu kneeling onto her sword exhausted. Rin getting shocked to find out Berserker doesn’t die just once, And just as Miyu is about to die Illya came to her rescue just as Shirou did Saber though this time Berserker was the one who got sliced in half instead. Looking forward to seeing how they’ll manage to kill Berserker 9 more times.

• September 7, 2013 at 2:46 amMasterDragonKnight

They changed a bit of the Irisviel conversation in this adaptation. Just like how they took out the scene earlier with Sella and Lysritt discussing Illya’s powers, this time they did not hint that Irisviel knows more about what is happening than she is letting on. Also, they did not show what Irisviel and Kiritsugu are doing behind the scenes regarding the Holy Grail War.

Instead of the original “Are you afraid of your own power?”, the topic was changed to “Do you want to help your friend?”

Not a bad scene, mind you, but without those scenes the origin of Illya’s power will be very confusing to those who have not scene other Fate series.

• September 7, 2013 at 2:47 amGermanguy

The Mother well known, what is happen with Illiya… “You okay to let her go out at tis Time?” “Mmm” So she must know more then we think

• September 7, 2013 at 10:56 amStilts

Yeah, I don’t see it. Like I said in my post, everything Iri did so reeked of “I know what’s going on” that I think it was easy to see. Though then again, I’m not exactly a typical viewer, so I could be wrong.

• September 7, 2013 at 6:48 pmMasterDragonKnight

Here are the original scenes from the manga.

1, 2, 3

It is a lot more explicitly stated that Irisviel knows the inner workings of Illya’s power.

Not sure why the anime decided to remove the scenes that reference Illya’s power or past.

• September 8, 2013 at 1:46 amNitro

it’s probably just so that they can finish off the anime adaptation of the first season without leaving a big plot hole of people discussing Ilya’s powers uncovered, just in case season 2 and 3 don’t come.

• September 7, 2013 at 6:05 pmmac65

Hmmm…

I agree “are you afraid of your own power” would have been a much better struggle
      and I wish the story followed that original course. It does seem like the “help
      your friend” has been played before in other series.

Still, very sad that only 10 episodes. Hope they’ll do a second season…

• September 7, 2013 at 2:46 amGermanguy

Well, this Final has is good ways. So there is only Miyu and Iilya. And Miyu is run dry on Mana. If you can guard her, then Iilya can go all out with her Mana Blast or something, not afraid to kill Allys with her Power. If they someone secure Miyu of course

Mu guess. It is the Gear that Berseker is wearing that grant him this Resurrection

• September 7, 2013 at 2:50 amGermanguy

and btw, Iliya is Stronger then Miyu. Because we dont saw a Lock get open, when she turn into this Hero Spirit. in Ilyas case, they took the time to animate that. Why her not too? So… there must be a reason to it

• September 7, 2013 at 2:59 amGermanguy

say, is here a Way to “install” one of these Cards on both of them, so they somehow end in One Body Hero Spirit? How to make that? Well, both holds the Cards and enchant the spell in Synchrony. Double Power?

• September 7, 2013 at 1:12 pminanis

dunno if stronger … but Illya got more mana reserves than Miyu (Miyu went OOM: “Out Of Mana” after a few hits .. and a excaliblast)

… then again Illya got a seal (lock) on her mana reserves.. if this Illya was supposed to be used as the “grail container” of the “fate” timelines … then she had mana storing for about 10 years? .. wonder how much mana she got left from the release of her lock.

• September 7, 2013 at 2:52 amewok40k

2 words:
    Saber Miyu!
    she is on my desktop wallpaper now!

Irisviel being the wise, supportive mom was Crowning MOMent of Heartwarming (Trope, and incredibly lame pun!)

• September 7, 2013 at 3:00 amMasterDragonKnight

I will share this little scene with you from Nanoha the Movie 2nd A’s.

Very similar badass save by Fate-chan. ^^

• September 7, 2013 at 3:20 amMightnare

you don’t have to have parents with involvements in magic to have magic potential.

Example: Nanoha, then again, her parents were ninjas.

• September 7, 2013 at 3:29 ambaseone

Wait… not a full-length??.

• September 7, 2013 at 10:54 amStilts

Sorry, the winds were kind of a pain in the ass during that scene, and I also I just finished editing my book, so I was a bit distracted as I cap’d

• September 7, 2013 at 5:30 amechykr

Yay at Irisviel making her appearance, but bit disappointed at Kiritsugu’s no-show. Your daughter needs you, man!

W00t at Miyu-Saber. What’s with the girls showing off their midriff when installing their Heroic Spirit forms?

(And installing Berserker won’t be just baring their midriff, I suppose? :) )

• September 7, 2013 at 6:06 amGermanguy

imagine, Berserker Muscle Body on a Loli? You Know Dragons Crown? You know the Female Amazon/Warrior? Some kind of that… Ugly

• September 7, 2013 at 11:02 amStilts

I like to imagine they’d just end up with a six-pack like Mikasa. Athletic girls are hot too!

• September 7, 2013 at 6:05 amSeorori

From the changes in the conversation, I’m guessing that they’re still undecided on making the second season. All these “left out” scenes seems to lead me to that conclusion.

That aside, Miyu-saber is amazing. Waiting to watch that final episode tonight :D

• September 7, 2013 at 1:14 pminanis

oh? there are a lot of “left out” scenes that appear only on the manga?

• September 8, 2013 at 1:06 amStilts

Some. They modified the story at points as well. They’re 90% the same, but there are some differences.

• September 7, 2013 at 6:30 amJ_the_Man

Best anime of the season is only 10 episodes long? Darn…

• September 7, 2013 at 5:17 pmOma

do the class cards even serve a purpose in the story? or are they just plot devices?

• September 7, 2013 at 11:55 pmFlareKnight

Well they aren’t likely to have a major reveal before this series is over. But there are two sequel mangas coming after this so maybe.

For now I’d say their purpose is for the story to exist. No cards, no Rin and Luvia visiting Japan, no series.

• September 7, 2013 at 8:09 pmPlummage

Iri showing up automatically makes any situation five times better, as well as a little awkward. Anyone who’s read 2wei knows what I mean. xD

• September 7, 2013 at 11:57 pmFlareKnight

Will say Miyu’s struggle against Berserker was pretty awesome. That was a pretty dangerous fight and a difficult one. Berserker just has a lot balanced against her in that fight. Unbelievable durability means her normal attacks are useless, and even if you kill him he can revive a certain number of times and it’s hard to kill him the same way twice. Definitely good last boss material.

Illya’s save was pretty sweet though.

• September 8, 2013 at 3:08 amGinobi666

Zwei or we riot!

• September 8, 2013 at 4:02 pmflap

Watching this episode again, two things come to mind.

1. Irisviel, squeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    2. Given that Ruby & Saphire are basically Kohaku & Hisui, you’d figure they can just summon Shiki to deal with Berserker.

• September 8, 2013 at 7:00 pmCecil Alcott

I was under the impression that Irisviel is “dead” after Fate/Zero.

I guess this show is somewhere between Fate/Zero (4th Holy Grail) Fight) and Fate/Stay (5th Holy Grail).

so who is this Irisviel?

• September 8, 2013 at 9:01 pmKinza Datteri

It’s an alternate world or a follow-up of a different route that doesn’t actually exist. À propos, I’ve just finished Unlimited Bladeworks.

⊙▂⊙

OTL

• September 11, 2013 at 12:22 amtakashid

Remember in Fate Zero how there was a point where Kiritsugu talked about wanting to ditch the whole grail war and run away with Iri and Ilya?

Prisma Ilya is an AU where basically Kiritsugu and Iri both decided to ditch the war (and the Enizbern family) MUCH earlier, and they basically wrecked things, and got the hell out of there. Apparently things went down with the Enizberns, and the end result is that the 4th grail war never happened, and these “class cards” are the leftovers of that system.

From what we know, Kiritsugu and Iri took Ilya, Sella and Lyserit and hid them in Japan. Somehow, despite the 4th war not happening, Shirou was still adopted by Kiritsugu and so they left the kids with Sella and Lys while they have been traveling and dealing with mage stuff.

So basically its a different world where Fate Zero didnt happen and this current battle is happening instead of the grail war that would have been Fate Stay Night.

• September 11, 2013 at 12:30 pmAnnyms

Wait…didn’t the ending song change? I heard the second track from the Prism Sympathy release.

My thoughts exactly on Irisviel’s appearance and wisdom. They slyly hinted at the fact that she knew exactly what was going on, but made it vague enough to make us think they were trolling.

Also, if only Illya knew how Shirou wanted to cheer her up with a grand dinner. She would have passed out from blood loss. Luckily she has meido Miyu to keep her spirits up.

• September 13, 2013 at 11:52 amGermanguy

Episode 10 is out:

And to be honest…

the Part, after the Fight…. Well i got Lost somehow. i could not follow it. Feel like unpolished. As if they where forced to press stuff into these Minutes

And the Important thing…

We get a 2nd Season!!!!!!!! Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei

• September 13, 2013 at 11:53 amGermanguy

Looks like my Speculation Bullet hits. We get a …. Well you see for yourself… install. But a downgrade… No Cloth changes.. Boooooooooooo!!!!!!

• September 13, 2013 at 11:55 amGermanguy

Offtopic:

Why is it that? Many Animes in this Season that live only 10 Episodes long.. Budget stuff? or did they sell their Airtime for Money?

• September 23, 2013 at 8:57 amiron2000

Man, I like the design of those 3 shampoo/shower cream bottles.
    Looks similar to those they sell in real life and not some unreal cartoony version.