Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! – 11 »« Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! – 09

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! – 10

Watamote   10   01 Watamote   10   02 Watamote   10   03
Watamote   10   04 Watamote   10   05 Watamote   10   06
Watamote   10   07 Watamote   10   08 Watamote   10   09
Watamote   10   10 Watamote   10   11 Watamote   10   12
Watamote   10   13 Watamote   10   14 Watamote   10   15
Watamote   10   16 Watamote   10   17 Watamote   10   18
Watamote   10   19 Watamote   10   20 Watamote   10   21
Watamote   10   22 Watamote   10   23 Watamote   10   24
Watamote   10   25 Watamote   10   26 Watamote   10   27
Watamote   10   28 Watamote   10   29 Watamote   10   30
Watamote   10   31 Watamote   10   32 Watamote   10   33
Watamote   10   34 Watamote   10   35 Watamote   10   36

「モテないし、二学期が始まる」 (Motenai shi, Ni-gakki ga Hajimaru)
“Since I’m Not Popular, Second Term is Starting”

I’ll just be over there in the corner, silently weeping…

Before I even begin this post about Watamote I’m going to hijack it for a bit. I’ve tried a few times during these write-ups to explain what it’s like to live with a person like Tomoko, and why this series isn’t simply a matter of standard anime teenage angst and she just needs to “suck it up”, and all that. I’m a huge fan of Stephen Fry – the fantastically eloquent and compassionate writer/actor/comedian/tech blogger/diarist – and about a million other things, one of them being a manic depressive. He’s attempted suicide twice, and did a documentary about people living with bipolar disorders. Not surprisingly he manages to capture the experience – both for the victim and their loved ones – far more concisely and keenly than I ever could in this video, taken from a one-man show (actually the Q & A that followed) he did at the Sydney Opera House. Now, what Stephen suffers from may not be the precise condition Tomoko likely does, but the larger description is on-the-money. The relevant portion begins at about 3:25:

Impossibly, with this episode Watamote seems to have upped the ante on bleakness and despair. The reason, I think, is because it’s by far the least outrageous episode so far. There’s not much comedy, really, and there are really no developments that are remotely unrealistic. There are no victims of Tomoko’s selfish anger, either – it’s just 22 minutes of Tomoko alone in her misery. And what seems to be happening as the series progresses is that Tomoko is becoming increasingly aware of just how alone and desperate she is. The darkness is almost literally closing in on her – she’s aware of it and we’re aware of it, but we seem equally powerless to stop it.

Several things stand out as I look back on these two chapters in one unhappy life. We start with Tomoko returning for the new semester, only to find that the seating chart has been rearranged (which seems to be a standard practice in Japan, as shocked as she is) and she’s been dumped in the second row, surrounded by the full flock of gabby social gadflies in her class. What do we see here? In fact, there’s an attempt to include Tomoko in their conversation initially – irreverent, yes, but not savage or outright mocking in any way. This is an opportunity for Tomoko in fact, though when presented with it, she can only see it as a curse. She retreats – first to a bunker she makes for herself among disused desks at the top of the stairs – and mutters to herself about how “annoying” all those normals are. And she’s blissfully happy for her lunch breaks at least, playing games on her phone and reading manga, until the desks are removed and she’s left homeless.

Here’s the dirty little secret – when Tomoko isn’t despairing over how lonely she is, she’s happier when she’s alone. Why? Well, partly because when you’re a smart and unusual person most people are annoying a lot of the time, especially in high school. Other people are a lot of work. But of course there’s also the fact that Tomoko is under extreme stress every moment she’s around those people, dreading the moment when they might break into the loneliness she also dreads, and try to include her. It’s the trap of someone in Tomoko’s position – she’s caught between two possibilities, and they’re always “bad” and “worse”. There are no escapes for her, no happy places. It’s so bad, in fact, that with her lunchtime womb deprived her she doesn’t even eat, and passes out in gym class. It’s only at the end of the day after everyone else has left that she’s able to relax – and she arranges the desks in the empty classroom to resemble the disorder of her hideaway so she can relax enough to eat her lunch.

And the, there’s what follows – which is even more depressing. It’s so cutting because we realize that for all her delusions of grandeur, even Tomoko’s fantasies are mostly setting their sights incredibly low. She thinks back to the middle-school past and imagines a club that didn’t exist, and there’s nothing glamorous about her imagined memory – it’s just a group of unpopular kids who sit around and do nothing, but at least they’re not alone in doing it. In a rare moment of decisiveness she grabs a new club application form and after much cogitating and trial-and-error at home, comes up with a proposal for a Nichijou-bu - a “Daily Life Club” for “Doing fun things and finding happiness in everyday life”. I confess I was surprised when she actually summoned the courage to submit the form the next day, and the fantasy she concocts around this club is even more modest – just Tomoko and two other kids, who barely seem to speak to each other. But at least they’re not alone in doing it. The reality, in fact, is that Tomoko isn’t silently drinking tea with this boy and girl but silently drinking tea in her room with her two plushies, fantasizing about silently drinking tea with that boy and girl. And when she returns to school the application has been denied because of “Club description unclear“.

I know I’ve said this before, but if you can’t feel anything for Tomoko here, well… I mean, really? Here we see her perform an act which, for her, is one of great courage – all to an incredibly modest hoped-for end – and she gets nothing for it but more loneliness. I know it will shock – shock! – longtime readers of my posts, but I’m not a huge fan of moe and what it’s done to anime. Yet as odd as it might sound, I think Tomoko is practically an icon of a side of moe that’s pretty close to how I first came to understand the term – someone who inspires an urge to protect and comfort. My heart absolutely shatters for Tomoko because I know how hard the road ahead of her is, and how unlikely it is she’ll ever truly escape the prison she’s trapped inside. I’m hard-pressed to think of many anime that have so effectively portrayed the pain of loneliness in the way Watamote has, without resorting to cheap comedy or cheaper dramatics – as outrageous as this series can be, it’s at its most remarkable when it quietly lets Tomoko’s life speak for itself.

Omake

Watamote   10   End Card 01
September 10, 2013 at 6:14 am
  • September 10, 2013 at 6:25 amTragedy’s Princess

I swear if I didn’t know any better, I say that this show is about my life.

• September 10, 2013 at 2:34 pmGrahav

Mine too.

Seems to be more common than I thought.

But people like us don’t find each other.

• September 10, 2013 at 5:01 pmDan

Sad but true.

• September 10, 2013 at 6:44 amusama-kun

oh this anime hard to see :( .
    poor Tomoko !

• September 10, 2013 at 6:51 amewok40k

Watching all those “fun-doing-nothing” clubs being deconstructed makes me cringe… yup in reality neither SOS brigade nor Neighbours club would ever came to life at all!
    And Tomoko finds herself unhappy both being alone and when overwhelmed by social activity around her. Truly a hopeless situation!
    Sorry, but commenting on this loneliness is making me want to go crawl under the blanket and try to fall asleep, just to avoid my own unhappy thoughts about how much my own life resembles Tomoko’s…
    The irony? Today is my birthday. No phone calls, no visitors. Just some computer games, anime and net surfing.

• September 10, 2013 at 7:04 amGuardian Enzo

Tanjoubi omedettou! Remember – it’s just a TV show…

• September 10, 2013 at 7:58 amBeorn4200

It may just be a TV show, but Tomoko’s life is so very much like what, I would assume, a lot of us are going though. In my case I lived like her for about five to six years while I was home school for high school. Missing out on all the things being a teen in america means. I came out of it about three years ago and still retain a lot of the problems Tomoko has.
        I have stopped watching this show because it’s a reminder of time I want to forget.

TLDR: This show is depressing because some of us are in the same situation.

• September 10, 2013 at 8:56 am✞Dai san Wakusei ☆ Kurīmī Croos-kun-chan✞

@Beorn4200
        This show almost shows almost everything what our egos would want to go.
        Whoever made this, knows it well.
        Near same situation but different circumstances.

• September 10, 2013 at 1:56 pmMegas

I’m watching this show from the other side of the fence. My teenage years in school was mostly a blur. I have hardly any memory of it save for a few ridiculous events. I blame my old man prepping me to take over his CO, which I was able to sell off a decade ago :-) But that sort of thing can crush any teen’s dreams if they had any.

I never had the opportunity to be alone, whether it be mentally or physically. My life even now is interdependent of those events. The grass isn’t any greener on this side of the fence. Every year SOMEONE bursts into my den with the same whipped strawberry cake. 30 years of that SAME cake. I can even guess who & when they’ll do it. I’ve been right for the past 14 years! I’d probably die if they bought a different cake & THEY know that. Talk about a rut.

Heck, I even watch anime as an escape tool, but it really just keeps my life in perspective for what its worth. A show like this tends to glorify all those useless “JUST LEAVE ME ALONE” feelings I’ve had for so long. You just can’t fight life. It deals you a hand & that’s it.

If I was suddenly dropped in a situation where I was alone all the time, I probably couldn’t handle it – even if I do take the most pleasure in those bleak times of solitude. I think the opposite situation would hold credence as well.

• September 10, 2013 at 2:42 pmtsukioniisan

You have my feels, bro. Makes me wonder if a change of pace is necessary in such an isolated daily life. I still find it reassuring that I’d go home, with my laptop waiting for me, a fresh can of Coke out of the fridge, and a book ready to be read on top of my bed. Funny, the arcade is just a block away from where I work. Maybe I should try and have a break with some crane games.

• September 10, 2013 at 3:06 pmdeathtogeneric/formulaicshows

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• September 10, 2013 at 3:51 pmWatamote

Quoting “instead of some random anonymous internet posters”

Sadly you’re one of those, and don’t judge people who you don’t personally know and nothing you have connection with, since you only sound like an arrogant bastard. If I’m not mistaken people here are saying they experienced what Tomoko is currently experiencing, means it’s in the past ok? Who knows maybe they’re more successful than you are right now.

Bakayaro..

• September 10, 2013 at 5:33 pmMockingSam

Watamote,

“Bakayaro”? That’s a good one. Anglicization is never cool, you hear. It makes you look like a loser. Either say in Japanese or don’t say it at all.

Also nice going on your hijacking and distorting the above poster’s intention, you fool.

• September 10, 2013 at 5:46 pmasdasd

Bashing another bashing and another one, you are all idiots I think, better not to post here rather than that.

And get your life guys, it’s not that you’re personally affected by them aren’t you.? You are all sound silly to be honest.

• September 10, 2013 at 5:48 pmtsukioniisan

“…you need to get out more and stop watching so many darn anime shows!”

Hold it right there, good sir! You’re basically telling me to ditch my hobby I’m loving since Mazinger Z, Shin-chan, Magic Knight Rayearth, etc. aired?! I’d rather watch a couple episodes of anime or flip a few pages of manga than consult a psychologist even though I know I’m perfectly sane – heck, even my boss thinks I’m doing great (even asked me for a drink, which I politely declined). There’s nothing wrong with sympathizing how miserable your life is, be it with your irl otaku friend/annoying sister or some “anonymous internet poster”. It’s even better than keeping the stress to yourself (but, ofc, not all the time).

I love this show. It’s definitely targeted towards those people who’s experiencing the same thing as Tomoki does. It’s like a laughter of medicine. What’s more better than making an introvert laugh at someone who’s basically like him? In the end it’ll make you think, “This Tomoki girl is so like me – lame, idiotic. Maybe I should try changing, it looks uncool in somebody’s eyes”. Makes me wonder, what if Tomoki watched an anime something similar to Watamote?

Anyways, you’re not my mom. Thanks for giving us a heads-up though. We’re doing fine. How about you, good sir?

• September 10, 2013 at 6:13 pmJust a grapefarmer

tsukioniisan, Obviously you who say to have no major social issue nor a shut-in nor unhappy being so weren’t the ones he was addressing here. But nice ribbing nonetheless. Finishing touch with the good old mommy comment.

Increasingly many people are coming here with their own baggage though, I noticed, too. Real heavy, downer stuff at times casually thrown here and there. And if someone says anything other than “sorry to hear” or “let me hold your hands, there, there”, you get someone like “Watamote” going all crazy and throw a temper tantrum. Funny shit all around.

P.S. asdasd you sound silly, too!! Everyone talking out of their asses! hooray! …At least put more effort on writing your name next time, will ya? haha!

• September 10, 2013 at 6:16 pmMegas

These comments are exactly how this show is – w/o the “life” analysis. The show is still a mess though, since it cranks out these comments.

• September 10, 2013 at 6:26 pmtsukioniisan

@Just a grapefarmer

Nah, anyone who knows me irl can compare me to Satou from Welcome to the NHK, another dark comedy themed anime that highlights the life of a shut-in (Thus, the profile picture. That’s Misaki cosplaying).

• September 10, 2013 at 7:49 pmBaKaYaRou

The only thing I can say here, if you wanted to change something it really depend on the person’s guts and determination.

…..

Pointing what’s wrong.

* Generic said don’t watch too many animes right? mehhh this is a hobby and a past time in such a busy world.

Pointing what’s right.

* Generic said that talk to some real person, ignore the psychiatrist part >_<, but correct about the relative's part. About the anonymous internet posters it's funny since we're all anonymous here in our part, you know what there are some social media forum/sites out there where you can start to make friends in real life, talk with similar interests and the happy part a gathering with everyone (convention).

Only one thing I can say, raise your guts a notch to talk to people irl.

• September 10, 2013 at 11:33 pmewok40k

@Deathto… Well, what purpose is to get out and be alone in the crowd, sit in the darkest corner of a night club to avoid dangerous attentions of peoples, lay on the beach and avoid the sights around? Because thats what “getting out” means for some of us. Truly, you dont seem to understand Watamote at all…

• September 11, 2013 at 6:08 amKitsu

Anime helped me to make new friends who also like to watch it. They are special people who are different and posses a certain level of culture and intelligence to be interested in anime and japanese culture. So I’m still watching it, and have no regrets.
        I think most people who mention who WataMote resemble their school lifes, probably are not lonely anymore. In school years you might have little social skills and high school isn’t a place to gather individual with same interests – that’s what college is for. Or even work. You choose your own enviroment and earn your own money to attend places that help you grow and meet new people.
        Even though WataMote is really good at descrbing this lonely school life, I wish series would resolve with Tomoko finding a way out, and this would give us, viewers, a piece of advice. They only show how she’s doing everything wrong (like neglecting a chance to socialize a bit with classmates that now sit aroud her, or join an actual club – ads noted you don’t need any skils). With latest episode paced like this, I look forward to final episode to give us a little bit of real resolution, be it manga-based or not.

• September 10, 2013 at 8:13 pmstarss

Do something for your birthday, even if it’s belated. Everyone needs something to make them content, if not happy. You have yourself a happy birthday now.

… I love how this show is making these replies into therapy sessions.

• September 11, 2013 at 7:55 amJ_the_Man

Well then, a belated happy birthday to you.

• September 13, 2013 at 9:14 pmmingus

Happy belated birthday, ewok40k, like others have said, treat yourself, you deserve it!

• September 10, 2013 at 8:00 amBaKaYaRou

Lol, I know that feeling…. specially when you’re a transfer student, you wished you were in the back and near at the window. >_<

• September 10, 2013 at 8:08 amJ_the_Man

That hurt… That really hurt… The one moment of bleak hope you get before everything crashes down into darkness… That’s the most painful feeling there is…

• September 10, 2013 at 8:50 am✞Dai san Wakusei ☆ Kurīmī Croos-kun-chan✞

I this episode I learned:

Life almost never goes what you want them to be.

• September 10, 2013 at 10:18 amRyuuzaki

a silent ambience episode.

i really felt sorry for her dreaming about having non-existing friends on a non-existing club and only to get hit hard by reality, “objective too vague, REJECTED!”.

• September 10, 2013 at 11:39 amLaughingMan

This is hands down the most depressing episode of the series.

• September 10, 2013 at 7:43 pmJani

Tell me about it, when she got moved I was like yay she’s gonna start making friends!! But then she just isolated herself again… sigh.

• September 10, 2013 at 12:22 pmLord of Fire

I’ve been secretly thinking this for quite some time, Tomoko is the most moe anime character in this season or in any of the past seasons that I’ve seen. Though I’m not opposed to the ‘moe’ culture, I do think the term is being grossly overused to mean insanely cute girls who do silly things.

Anyway, I loved the transition to the OP in this episode. And this is one of the few shows where I really notice the BGM. Normally, I don’t care much about that, but I’ve noticed that this show has a very good soundtrack I can’t stop listening to.

With each episode, Tomoko seems to go deeper and deeper into the pit of despair. It’s amazing that she still has some fighting spirit left in her, after all those let-downs.

• September 10, 2013 at 12:51 pmcensored

That transition caught me off guard, but was super well utilized. Tomoko has the fighting spirit like Eren from Shingeki no Kyojin…Except instead of fighting giants Tomoko is fighting life…

• September 11, 2013 at 1:28 pmRagefat

Actually, she is fighting herself.

• September 10, 2013 at 2:17 pmDomo-kun

It’s almost like the whole OP was done for the purpose of being used in this transition…

• September 13, 2013 at 12:30 pmTheWalker

@LordofFire and Guardian Enzo

Yes! This precisely! I have been ruminating on that very concept of moe since about episode three or four. Since moe is supposed to evoke this sense of protection, I do feel that Tomoko qualifies. Long rant cut short, I feel that the concept of moe is now some HD ‘shopped-to-death manufactured creation that takes the female form (most of the time) and gives them a checklist of ‘cute faults’ with little to no demonstration of their logical conclusions extreme or otherwise. Tomoko is probably one of the roughest unrefined moe characters I can currently think of. The scene that got me the most (and most people already touched on it) was when her imagine spot fantasy was over, it was her alone in her room sharing tea with her plushies. As soon as I saw the club sequence, I knew it was fake. That’s the kind of show this is, so there was no creeping sense of dread that it was going to crash and burn, because I was just waiting for her to wake up from the dream. But, when I saw her there with the two plushies, it was just…sad. There honestly is no other way to put it. Looking at her experiencing this new low made me feel numb in a way. I couldn’t feel any worse than I already did for her. All I could think was ‘This is how the rest of her life will be, but I pray it isn’t’. This episode just further exemplifies the Catch 22 that is Tomoko’s life: She wants social interaction and to feel love and attention, but any social interaction and attention (outside family and her ‘bitch friend’) causes anxiety to the point of physical pain and results in an aura of creepy, standoffish, or whatever else. Also, I’m sure there’s something profound to be said about how she only found solace not just in being alone, but with disarray around her.

TL;DR Tomoko may be the old/new school moe, her life is textbook sad and pitiful, and she lives a social catch 22.

• September 10, 2013 at 12:46 pmcensored

Just when Tomoko finally steps out of her shell BAM! Rejection! My heart broke at that scene knowing that something that could have changed the course of her sad life was snatched away by a heartless reality. Don’t give up though Tomoko, highschool always sucks, but college is always a lot more fun!! Actually, I wonder how she and Hikigaya from Oregairu would interact…I’m sure they’d be the best of friends, sorta. On a side note Tomoko’s relationship with her brother reminds me of the relationship my sister and I had in highschool. Best frienfs during childhood, but embittered rivals who couldnt stand each other in highschool. She was like Tomoki, a year younger and crazy popular. I was like Tomoko, a loner, otaku…God this anime brings up too many sad memories :(

• September 10, 2013 at 1:02 pmTaiakun

I noticed 3 different Kyoani parodies in this episode: Nichijou (which Tomoko used in the club name), Haruhi (SOS brigade mentioned a few times) and Chuunibyou (the guy and girl who Tomoko fantadized as being in her club had a striking resemblance to the main two characters of Chuunibyou). Anyone spotted anything else?

• September 10, 2013 at 1:31 pmBear

My God, is this show going to end with a shadow on the wall of Tomoko’s room of a girl hanging from a noose?

• September 10, 2013 at 6:38 pmbillng

I dont think they would do that, that would be WAAAAY too dark

• September 10, 2013 at 9:30 pmerhyka

My god I got shivers reading that. If that’s how the manga ends and the anime actually uses it, that’s daring and no matter how depressing of an ending that is, I got to give them respect to end it that bold.

• September 10, 2013 at 5:21 pmJimhawk

With Tomoko’s increasing realization of her own loneliness and depression, I really hope that she talks to someone–anyone–about it before the show ends. Mom, Dad, Tomoki, Yuu, anyone will do. When you’re not aware of your own problems, it’s so difficult to extricate yourself from them. But when you’ve fully realized your barriers, sometimes you need to find help to break through them.

I know that Tomoko is reserved and would find it difficult to express herself to others, but I still really want her to try. It’s been a long time since I wanted something so badly for an anime character.

• September 10, 2013 at 5:44 pmMgMaster

Holy!Watamote was just too merciless this week…However I did like how Tomoko was quite modest with what she wanted,as well as her increasing realization on how alone she is yet not lashing out on others(in her mind) as much as before.She might continue being a loner but this episode gave me the impression that she’s starting to accept that fact which is still some form of progress if you ask me – she might reach Hachiman level that way.

• September 10, 2013 at 6:00 pmDvalinn

Watching this show is like getting gutpunched every week, heh. This episode probably hit closest to home for me, because it was like I was looking at a mirror. Those aimless years of high school, where reality slaps down any big amibition (in relative terms to you, of course) you have (in Tomoko’s case, because those clubs in anime are wish-fullfillment for a reason) and where life is stuck in an endless rut. Though I guess I should call myself lucky, because despite being socially awkward I actually like being alone. So I pretty much did the same thing as her – sneak off to have lunch by myself in some dark corner – and I always got miffed whenever something stole my chairs and whatnot. But hey, those were calming, nice experiences. At least until the teachers caught me, send me to the school shrink and wanted to put me on group therapy, because being a loner obviously meant that I was a sick weirdo who was going to shoot up the school or something. God, high school sucked. Personally I’m expecting teachers to start bothering Tomoko too when they find out.

But I digress. Loved the art direction this episode, especially that transition into the opening, and it did have a few lighter points (had to laugh at Tomoko thinking ‘kill steal!’ when she got the doll). For the rest, it really was one of the most down to earth episodes. I wonder if the author is speaking from experience, really, because it pretty much nails it. I do wonder if there’ll ever be a happy ending for Tomoko, for one, though it would be nice if the show ended with another of her little victories, at least.

• September 10, 2013 at 6:16 pmKJ

Tomoko fears that if she breaks the shell and asks for help, she fears further isolation and rejection from those that surround her if things go wrong.

Right now, she is stuck in a quagmire. If she tells people what she really feels, she fears that people who do nothing to her now will start to reject her because she is “kimoi.”

Hence, despite that she wants company and a friend, she is stuck in that state where she won’t do anything so as to keep the way things are. If she does nothing, she is just air – a person who no one cares if she is there or not. If she does something and it backfires, now she goes down one rank and becomes an outcast. In her view, that is worse because everyone thinking she is “kimoi” > no one caring about her existence.

This is a common mindset for introverts with low self esteem. They think negatively, never positively. Asking a friend (i.e. Yuu-chan) for help is usually the positive mindset. Positive thinkers look at if Yuu-chan is Tomoko’s friend, she’ll never shun her off. But introverts with low self esteem like Tomoko, only sees things negatively where asking a friend for help means defeat (low self-esteem pride) and a potential for disaster (negative view) where instead of looking at Yuu-chan helping her, Tomoko thinks Yuu-chan will not be her friend anymore, leaving her with no friend at all.

• September 10, 2013 at 8:03 pmstarss

I was expecting the club story to be in this episode and so I THOUGHT I had gathered myself before starting to watch it animated, and with audio. I thought I was prepared!

….AND THEN THEY PLAYED THE SONG. ;_____; WHY??? WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?!

• September 10, 2013 at 8:38 pmMagoiichi

I’m starting to get bored of this formula, Tomoko either screws up the opportunities she’s given or avoids them completely.

Where is the progress?! The only form of progress I’ve seen so far was Tomoko reconnecting with her busty ex-megane friend.

• September 10, 2013 at 8:54 pmstarss

The point of the show is figuring out how Tomoko’s going to spectacularly fail at her next genius plan to become more social. So if you expecting progress, it’s not going to be here. Also, the manga is on-going so this anime won’t even have a real ending.

• September 11, 2013 at 6:11 amKitsu

And that’s the bad part. This show is unique because they depict a lonely lifestyle like this, so would also be nice to show a way out. Unless the way out is when you understand what Tamoko is actually doing wrong, like neglecting opportunities.

• September 10, 2013 at 8:58 pmTez

This ep was pretty “meh” until that Forever Alone face… I laughed out loud.

• September 10, 2013 at 9:12 pmdowcraw

new class term for tomoko but now in seat in front middle row area give going why me yet after some break wonder found her own area to do her things.

then days later give lack of food & etc got wasted then see her area got cleaned & moved well move on give take advantage of arcade doll prize yet still more lonely.

school fest coming give tomoko don’t want to give horror hair doll from middle school was flop then go around see club making idea so try make own club.

yet with imagine doing having own club & not doing school stuff well reality kick in yet her club got denied.

• September 10, 2013 at 9:28 pmMi-Chan

While I can’t stand someone like her calling probably the only friend that cares about her “b1tch” is kind of irritating to me, I think Tomoko needs to realize that her problem isnt the others around her, but herself. She kind of isolates herself in an aura she created, she has many chances to step out of her cage, but she hasn’t. I don’t feel bad for her, and I might be mean to say that I am only watching to show to see her stupidity, and have the same reaction as her brother. I want to see how far she’s going to go before she realizes her own problems, before blaming others. Cheers for your review, M.

• September 10, 2013 at 9:29 pmMi-Chan

just a side note, didn’t she mention “Kazehaya” from Kimi no todoke as well? Cheers.

• September 11, 2013 at 9:45 pmTez

I with you, man. I feel that’s where the true comedy in this show lies.

• September 10, 2013 at 11:14 pmagr0n

That transition into the opening song was amazing!

I hate that feeling when you find your place and someone uproots it :(

That intro song they played during her fantasy was just way to happy I was just waiting for reality to smack her in the face and it smacked way harder than I expected.

• September 11, 2013 at 1:40 amstardf29

As for what Tomoko’s imagined club looks like… in the words of the legendary philosopher Billy Joel, “they’re sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it’s better than drinking alone.”

Unfortunately for Tomoko, she doesn’t even get to share the drink of loneliness…

• September 11, 2013 at 11:41 amshigokun

~The Boredom of Kuroki Tomoko~. Omg I just feel so sorry for tomoko :( it can’t end like this. 2 episodes left right?

• September 11, 2013 at 12:00 pmshigokun

is it me? but the scene where tomoko runs to get the application sounded like detective conan for a moment (the way she ran too)idk lol

• September 13, 2013 at 8:22 amxdiesp

Hey Guardian Enzo, I appreciate your reviews for being lively and opinionated, but you are also making a mistake when you turn it all in a psychiatrist’s diagnosis. Which is, in the end, wishful thinking: Tomoko’s case is a known one, it can be cured, it will be – not so different from the common commentary that is just a phase which Tomoko will eventually grow out from (only, with meds). There’s a reason if physicians don’t hold a monopoly over fiction commentary: their perspective is intrinsecally limited to their professional goal; and their abilities are not a magic wand that can fix anything wrong with anyone. Of course you don’t agree that you hold such a mindset (pathologize, hope for a cure) but try entertaining this thought: Tomoko is not sick, that’s how she will always be like. Commenters routinely report being discouraged into approaching the series by this crushing notion.

• September 13, 2013 at 11:05 pmGinobi47

This show has been nothing but a painful biatch slap of reality for me. It hurts when I can relate to the poor girl’s agony

• September 14, 2013 at 4:35 pmcoolasj19

I was this same way in high school. Luckily being in band forced me into scenarios where I just couldn’t ignore people no matter how hard I tried. After HS and before college I realized that that’s what I wanted when I was watching anime in much too large of a capacity. I almost pulled the same shit in college but, I went out to a fraternity recruiting event and found other people that shared my obsessive love of the medium while also being insanely outreaching. If you are truly and utterly in the same situation as Tomoko, and you want to not be. You have to have to speak words to people. Any words. Lots of people are nice, and they ARE aware of “That Kid In The Corner”. To quote Yang from RWBY

” You have friends all around you. You just haven’t met them yet. “