« Reader’s Choice – Best Anime 2012 Poll

Reader’s Choice – Best Anime 2013 Poll

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio Ars Nova   OP   01 Kakumeiki Valvrave   ED   02 Shin Sekai Yori   01   07
Suisei no Gargantia   OP1.02   02 Shingeki no Kyojin   OP   01 Fate kaleid liner Prisma Illya   OP   01

The end of the year is here and it’s time for the Eighth Annual Reader’s Choice poll! Do you have a favorite series you’d like to see win? Are you just curious to see what everyone else enjoyed this year? Either way, the microphone’s in your hands now. Make your vote count.

As per the usual, there will be two polls for you to vote on this year – one for regularly broadcast TV series, and another for OVA/movies. We’re asking you for your top 5 picks in each poll, which should stop the results from being heavily skewed towards the mega-popular shows. This year we have an astounding 160~ TV series (shorts are included this year) and 120~ OVA/movies/specials for you to choose from, so make sure you look over the entire list before deciding. Keep in mind that like all entertainment, anime is subjective. There is no one size fits all here. Please respect the opinions of others, even if you may disagree vehemently with them.

Criteria-wise, the following is what was used to decide what shows did (or did not) make it onto these lists:

• For a regular broadcast TV series to be considered, it has to have finished airing in 2013. The idea is that you can’t truly judge a series until it’s over, so shows such as Golden Time, Kill la Kill, Space Bros, and Log Horizon. will appear on next year’s poll. Series with a second season coming but a clear stopping point in the one we’ve already seen are included.
  • For OVA/movies, it has to have been released on Blu-ray/DVD in 2013 to qualify, ensuring that viewers outside of Japan have had a chance to watch it. This mostly pertains to theatrical offerings. The difference from TV series is that they don’t necessarily have to be complete to be included, since it can take several years for an OVA series to finish. That’s why Gundam Unicorn is appearing again this year.

As far as we’re aware, the anime series list is complete, barring a handful of shows that are animated but unlike “typical” anime. The OVA/movie list is less so, but this is by design; there are lot of really niche OVAs that aren’t really worth considering. However, if you feel there’s something that deserves consideration, please leave a comment or send me (Zephyr) or Stilts an email (email works best) and one of one will add it.

With that said, vote away. Time’s ticking.

Note: The polls will close at midnight PST on Thursday, January 2nd. This means the morning of the 3rd, or 8:00 AM GMT on the 3rd. Results will be posted in the Best of Anime 2013 post, which will be written by myself and Stilts (the two active writers who have watched the most anime this year).

December 29, 2013 at 10:23 am

3. Zetsuen no Tempest
    4. Little Busters + Refrain
    5. White Album 2

• January 2, 2014 at 2:01 ambrajt

Some people here obviously don’t like Sakurasou. :P

• January 2, 2014 at 9:24 ammy taste > you’re taste

I assume most of the downvotes come from people who are butthurt that their favorite show is not included on the list.

• January 3, 2014 at 2:15 pmxmn

>my taste > you’re taste
        Your statement is correct, but it doesn’t correspond with your action.

Going around the comments calling animes that you don’t enjoy overrated, or telling other that your taste is better and therefore their opinion is wrong.

Even on my comment, I was disappointed at myself that I totally forgot to put the Monogatari series on my list, and that I realized that after I voted, but then you come over and tell me that “it is better than anything else on my list”.

Now who is the, “people who are butthurt that their favorite show is not included on the list”?

I don’t really want to attack you or anything, but I just can’t understand why your action and this statement, that I am responding to, doesn’t correspond.

• January 3, 2014 at 4:35 pmmy taste > you’re taste

I’m not butthurt at all though, and I don’t downvote lists just because I disagree with them or because they are missing my favorite shows. I just posted my opinion. Why? Because I felt like it/because I was bored. There’s no need to take everything that is posted on the internet so serious.

You were wondering what to remove from your list in favor of Monogatari, and I replied that it doesn’t really matter because it is better than anything from your list anyway (obviously, that’s just my opinion). I didn’t mean to attack you or your taste, in fact I think your list is decent enough and I enjoyed the shows even though my list looks completely different than yours.

• January 3, 2014 at 5:38 pmxmn

Alright, just be careful, even if you are not serious, because some people will interpret you as a hater, especially in blogs like these where peaceful discussions are generally promoted.

• January 1, 2014 at 10:37 pmFumbal

1. Shingeki no Kyojin
    2. Psycho Pass
    3. Coppelion
    4. Chihayafuru 2
    5. Gin no Saji

• January 2, 2014 at 1:01 amKai.

I didn’t see “K” anywhere on the poll…

• January 2, 2014 at 7:12 amCherrie

I’m so sure that K finished in 2012. It would’ve been part of last year’s poll.

• January 2, 2014 at 11:45 amKai.

lol woops.
        Thanks for the correction. :)

• January 3, 2014 at 8:22 amMatroid

K won the 18th place in 2012 with 500 out of 29,917 votes.

• January 2, 2014 at 9:40 amHimJL

My personal picks would be:
    1. Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova (best SciFi)
    2. Hataraku Maou-Sama (best comedy)
    3. Monogatari Series: Second Season (best fantasy)
    4. Shinsekai Yori (best thriller)
    5. Attack on Titan (best action)

Honorable mentions category:
    White Album 2 (best romance/slice of life)
    Suisei no Gargantia (2nd best SciFi)
    PSYCHO-PASS (2nd best thriller)
    Outbreak Company (2nd best comedy)

Of course, these are only my personal picks and I have not seen nearly all of the anime from this past year.

• January 2, 2014 at 9:57 amHimJL

I forgot to mention Oreimo 2 in the honorable mention category for best incest anime. (wincest)

• January 2, 2014 at 1:48 pmDoxa

When do you post the top 2013? I really wanna see it

• January 2, 2014 at 1:56 pmZephyr

Should be up in a few days. Finishing it up as week speak actually.

• January 2, 2014 at 4:05 pmmianghuei

Best Anime: Hataraku Maou-Sama (Comedy)
    Psycho Pass (Thriller)
    Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio -Ars Nova- (Sci-fi) Honorable: Suisei no Gargantia
    Chihayafuru 2(Drama)
    Gin no Saji (SoL)
    Henneko (RomCom)
    Railgun S (Action)

Best OP: Coppelion
    Best ED: Free!

Best Song: angela – angel

• January 2, 2014 at 5:19 pmSeorori

It’s been a good year with lots of good anime. Sigh … now for the hard part. :(
    Best anime for me would be …
    Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru
    Ginga kikoutai majestic prince
    Outbreak company
    Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya
    Hataraku Maou-Sama

Sakurasou, Gin no Saji, Monogatari and Railgun S is also on my top ten list too. :)

• January 2, 2014 at 6:10 pmJose Cruz

Voted on two series: Psycho Pass and From The New World, because I haven’t watched enough 2013 anime to be an accurate judge for 5 great series. Same for movies: voted on one only.

• January 2, 2014 at 6:18 pmRamil Ronquillo

Only ones I’ve seen are Shingeki no Kyogin, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S (FAVORITE), Kami Nomi Zo Shiru Sekai, Oreimo, and Kyoukai no Kanata. And I loved all of them, so voting for them :)

• January 3, 2014 at 12:55 ambrajt

As the poll is closed, here are some predictions according to the comments. It’s only about 2% of the last year’s votes, so official results may still be completely different:

1. Shinsekai Yori (61)
    2. Shingeki no Kyoujin (51)
    3. Monogatari 2 (41)
    4. Hataraku (39)
    5. Psycho-Pass (38)
    6. Zetsuen no Tempest (36)
    7. Oregairu (28)
    8. Sakurasou (23)
    9. Chihayafuru 2 (21)
    9. Gargantia (21)

and…

Railgun (19), Uchouten (19), Arpeggio (17), Kyosougiga (13), JoJo (13), White Album 2 (12), LB+Refrain (12), The World God Only Knows (11), Gin no Saiji (10)

• January 3, 2014 at 3:39 amBluth

Really happy to see Shinsekai Yori leading, a masterpiece that I would put on the same level as something like Serei no Moribito. It’s a great example of what anime can be when you aren’t simply trying to make a product that is mindless fun, which can be fun, but I love it when an anime tries to be something more.

• January 3, 2014 at 3:49 ambrajt

Being quite new to anime, I haven’t heard about Seirei no Moribito yet, but now I’ll check it out, thanks! :)

• January 3, 2014 at 3:59 amBluth

Serei is a bit different, less horror, but it has some similar elements in that there are strong charactersm and there are some similar supernatural elements. Personally I would say that Serei is the better anime, but I think that’s due to my preference for the main character (Balsa is probably one of the better female protagonists in the last 5 or so years of anime)

• January 3, 2014 at 6:00 amGuardian Enzo

Seirei no Moribito is my favorite anime of all-time, and I would argue the best. It’s not much like SSY apart from that they’re both non-commercial and brilliant, but if you admire great writing and gorgeous animation, art and music it’s hard to go wrong.

• January 3, 2014 at 6:20 amtsukioniisan

Agreed. SSY and SnM (no Seitokai pun here) are both a masterpiece. Watching them is comparable to the feeling you get after reading a hellavu good book.

• January 3, 2014 at 3:01 pmmy taste > you’re taste

In my opinion SSY falls slightly short of being a masterpiece (inconsistent style, quality issues, pacing issues around the middle). It would have been if A1 put more effort into it. It was still very good though.

• January 3, 2014 at 3:43 pmZephyr

It has to be noted that SSY had little to no budget allocated to it. So be sure to take that into account.

• January 3, 2014 at 4:18 pmmy taste > you’re taste

I know, but flaws are flaws.

• January 3, 2014 at 5:36 pmGuardian Enzo

Yes, the lack of budget is quite apparent on SSY. But bear in mind A-1 gave two cours to a series they lost a bundle on (sales were atrocious) and I suspect they feared that would happen. In that sense it feels wrong to me to complain because I’m grateful they produced it at all. Also, if you look past the animation to things like art direction, cinematography and such – things that don’t cost anything but require talent – the show actually has a very distinctive and stylish quality. I think they did remarkably well visually given the money they had to work with.

• January 3, 2014 at 5:55 pmmy taste > you’re taste

I’m not complaining. Just stating why I think it’s not quite a masterpiece.

>Yes, the lack of budget is quite apparent on SSY. But bear in mind A-1 gave two cours to a series they lost a bundle on (sales were atrocious) and I suspect they feared that would happen.
        Well, maybe it would have sold more if it didn’t have massive quality jumps (especially around the middle, episode 13 iirc was atrocious). Then again I doubt it would be much more anyway. It’s sad that such a good show sells so badly.

>the show actually has a very distinctive and stylish quality. I think they did remarkably well visually given the money they had to work with.
        I agree.

• January 3, 2014 at 7:59 pmZephyr

Yeah, sadly that’s the thing. Even the initial episodes didn’t sell for anything worth a darn, so wouldn’t have made much of a difference.

• January 3, 2014 at 8:35 pmTre

As Zephyr says, better animation quality wouldn’t have made a difference in sales. Anime producers are very risk averse nowadays, so anything that that breaks outside the specific, high-selling otaku mold will be handicapped before production has even started.

• January 3, 2014 at 8:19 amMatroid

Thanks for the effort to tally up all the votes in the comments! That’s a very interesting observation.

Predicting (postdicting?) from last year’s comments alone, Hyouka would have been a very likely winner of Reader’s Choice 2012. But it ended up winning the third spot. It remains to be seen whether the comments are representative of the general opinions.

• January 3, 2014 at 9:11 ambrajt

No problem. :)

My assumption is that those who cared to write their vote in a comment are (generally speaking) the more active ones, what would possibly make them to watch more anime during the year. This would mean that some less popular shows like Shinsekai Yori (in comparison to Shingeki no Kyoujin) have bigger representation here than at the overall list. But I can be wrong about it, it’s only guessing.

• January 3, 2014 at 9:49 pmBear

If you think of it, it might be interesting to repost your list when the poll is announced comparing it with how they officially polled.

• January 3, 2014 at 10:08 pmZephyr

I’ve already compared it for ya guys and have it ready for a quick copy and paste if ya guys want.

I’ll either post it here or in the comments in the actual post once it’s up. Though, I may forget, so someone just send me a tweet or email whenever they see the post up.

• January 3, 2014 at 10:50 pmbrajt

Hmm I also think the comparizon would be more user friendly in the comments for official poll, without directing people to the old post. I’ll remind you Zephyr when we’ll talk about your personal top 10. :)

• January 3, 2014 at 10:28 amCaticia

When will the best of anime 2013 be posted?

• January 3, 2014 at 10:53 amZephyr

Soon.

• January 3, 2014 at 11:19 amSela

I’ve been waiting a whole year for this post. Can’t wait! :)

• January 3, 2014 at 11:13 amluto

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• January 3, 2014 at 2:33 pmActus

I am sure anyone would think it is boring if they have “never seen” chihayafuru. Those who have would think otherwise.

• January 3, 2014 at 3:21 pmMatroid

What you called “melodramatic rubbish” is for mature people who appreciate subtle feelings. If you need “direct” stimuli, go watch Sekai De Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! I suspect that a few spanking may actually alleviate your boredom.

• January 5, 2014 at 11:11 pmKingofLemons

Chihayafuru was a really good Anime, it had something that not a lot of Animes have anymore, “Maturity”.

• January 5, 2014 at 11:09 pmKingofLemons

Kakumeiki Valvrave / Valvrave the Liberator

I personally thought it was a great Anime. Took me on such a wildly emotional roller coaster. So, I would like to mention it, since it ended in 2013.

• « Older Comments