Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu. – 01 »« Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road – 01

SHIROBAKO – 01

“An Exodus Toward Tomorrow!”

「明日に向かって、えくそだすっ!」 (Ashita ni Mukatte, Ekusodasu!)

It’s nice when you have moderate expectations for a series and it manages to catch you by surprise. SHIROBAKO was never a show I was actively looking forward to this season considering the sheer number of popular new anime and sequels. It kind of just got lost in the pile, but it really managed to catch me off guard.

I should start by saying that this anime won’t be for everyone. You could say that this first episode was pretty dry – which I wouldn’t really disagree with – but as a whole, if you are at all interested in how anime is made, then you will find some enjoyment in SHIROBAKO.

It starts with a red herring of sorts, setting up for what to seems to be a school series about five aspiring girls of the Animation Club. They’re working hard on their own original animation – Shinbatsu Konkou: The Seven Lucky Battle Gods. Their work pays off – as evident by the satisfied faces upon them seeing their work in motion. But then… high school is over! Flash forward two and half years and our main character, Miyamori Aoi (Kimura Juri), is working at Musashino Animation and it just so happens that the fall anime season is underway for them as well with their one-cour (thirteen episode) anime, Exodus, airing that night!

But before that, a road race. Yep. With none other than Production I.G. J.C Staff G.I Staff. I, for one, was laughing at how absurd yet enjoyable this moment was. If I ever thought we were gonna get a full-blown road race this season, SHIROBAKO might have been my last guess. Regardless, Miyamori wins and so begins the introduction of all the characters as most of the studio gathers together to watch the first episode of Exodus!

And when I say all the characters, I mean it. We have:

Now, this is the part of the episode that doesn’t work as well as it could. Introducing 23 characters in the first episode simply isn’t going to work. We may remember one or two faces, but as of right now we have yet to dive into who these characters are besides their job title; though there does seem to be a few slackers and those with different creative approaches, so we’re bound to see the connections between these characters come together in future episodes. But even if this is by P.A. Works, I wouldn’t bet on there being a tremendous amount of character drama like you see in most of their anime. SHIROBAKO will be technical drama – things like focusing on deadlines, planning schedules, having Miyamori driving around like a madwoman, as well as facing the consequences of overworking. And that’s just in one episode!

In a single episode SHIROBAKO proves that making anime is not easy. Animation is hard, after all. As an animation student myself I know that, but being part of the industry with it’s ridiculous schedules and deadlines is something else entirely. Will that sort of drama work for the length of the series? I hope so. We have two-cours here after all so P.A. Works must be planning something. After Exodus are we going to see them working on more anime? Will there be successes and failures? Job troubles? A re-union of all five of the Animation Club so they can fulfil their dream of making an anime together? All I can say for now is that this premiere surprised me, intrigued me, and essentially promised me that I’m going to enjoy watching this every week to see where this goes!

Information Digest:

OP Sequence

OP: 「Colorful Box」by (Yoko Ishida)

October 9, 2014 at 6:22 pm
  • October 9, 2014 at 7:22 pmKF

Great as an educational anime.

If you approach it from the perspective of learning this anime might be for you.

• October 10, 2014 at 9:13 amGermanguy

They are lucky to have Computer to help their work. Imagine, the Old School one done it with Hand, and if they mess the colors, they need to redraw again…

Horray for Computer-tan

• October 9, 2014 at 7:34 pmKuntzy

Despite having a passion for anime, Aoi’s skill set seems more tuned towards being a getaway driver for a crime syndicate. Those were some pretty boss drifts.

Anyways, looks good so far. I was kind of hesitant about this because, while I’d like to see how the animation process is layed out, I was worried that they’d glorify the anime industry and not really get into all the bad things that come with being a part of it. (Tight deadlines, low pay, high stress, overwork, etc.) Thankfully, those worries were allayed in the very first episode.

Looking forward to more.

• October 9, 2014 at 8:15 pmApa

Yeah definitely reminds me of Bakuman.

• October 9, 2014 at 8:15 pmStilts

Agreed Samucchi, a surprising first episode. It’s almost like P.A. Works remembered how to make anime! Plus it really felt like a work crisis, except they’re actually doing work they’re passionate about instead of the drudgery I do for a living.

• October 9, 2014 at 9:01 pms_w

In spite of the problem I had with remembering any of the 500-odd names fired at me 30 minutes later (let alone the mains), it’s a pretty good debut IMO. It’s nice to see P.A. Works get back on the horse again after Glasslip.

I came into this with -0- expectations, so I think that helped me a bit. And such a cliffhanger!

Looking forward to next week.

Main takeaways: Initial D and the D is for Donuts. Oh, and making animation is really freakin’ hard, especially when one of your PAs is an idiot. (Way to go haircut guy.)

• October 9, 2014 at 9:04 pmcruiser2710

Looks interesting and Seriously…. G. I. Staff? Is that a foreshadowing or some sort?

Anyway,

Jamie Hazaford? I thought you’re fine tuning Argevollen? Or is this about your past before you got yourself involved in Argevollen?

• October 9, 2014 at 11:08 pmTassadar

Jamie Hazaford(o)!! <3

• October 9, 2014 at 9:10 pmDualash

SHIROBAKO actually met my expectations. Seeing the varied people that were making the Exodus anime, it was interesting seeing a glimpse on how an anime was made and the different personalities of the people there. I especially handled how they introduced the episode, with the animation club and that wicked race (thank goodness there was no traffic), and it looks like this anime is going to be enjoyable.

• October 9, 2014 at 9:13 pmgawrshness

I think they made this anime to make the viewers appreciate just how much hard work really goes into making these things. Nothing seemed to be exaggerated here, I am almost sure that’s exactly how tense production is.

• October 9, 2014 at 9:21 pmGermanguy

In the Car Racing scene, enjoy it with Queen – I want it all music :)

• October 9, 2014 at 9:50 pmRyuuzaki

Im in for the cute girls!

• October 9, 2014 at 10:52 pmKaka

This definitely exceeded my expectations! So glad they just skimmed through the high school years and get the real deal going. I have always wanted to learn more about the making; this is just perfect!

• October 9, 2014 at 11:42 pmGinobi47

Ah yes, the world of chasing deadlines. I once worked in a company like that, but in my country, you cant do an Initial D type of driving due to the incredibly small roads. I was forced to teach myself the fine arts of parkour just to get from point A to point B…. The good old days…

I initially had no interest in Shirobako, but it seems to be a gem so I’ll keep watching

• October 9, 2014 at 11:43 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Even if it probably won’t show every little detail that goes into making an anime, it should at least give some idea on how difficult it really can be.

• October 9, 2014 at 11:47 pmHakunamatata

Think about this is Satirical version of J.C Staff
    and

that’s look familiar…uh…I can’t tell anyway!

• October 10, 2014 at 12:35 amechykr

A mix of JC Staff and Production IG, I think.

• October 10, 2014 at 12:45 amYause

Yep, Production I.G. and J.C. Staff are the two giants within Musashino, which is a historic hub for anime production (there are a number of former greats too, such as Tatsunoko, Gainax, and Artland, which have faded into the background a little. We can probably view the fictional Musashino Animation as an older studio that’s trying to re-enter the limelight as a main contractor).

The satire is all in good fun though given the close relationships the producers have with those studios – Production I.G. with P.A. Works, and J.C. Staff with Warner Bros.

• October 10, 2014 at 6:35 amewok40k

nothing like anime indstry poking fun at itself!

• October 10, 2014 at 12:35 amechykr

That is sure some ensemble cast introduced. Probably far more than your standard epic mecha anime.

Whether it’s delivering tofu or animation shorts, basic drifting skills is a prerequisite job requirement.

You know Musashino Animation has a potential winner when their character designer is a cute goth loli cosplayer. <3

• October 10, 2014 at 1:32 amDop

I was kind of pleased they breezed through the entire high school animation thing in a few minutes and moved on to the real deal.
    Largely because it’s good to see a show that’s not set in a high school and which features working adults.
    Like the whole behind the scenes aspect of the show too.

So far, it’s very promising.

• October 10, 2014 at 2:41 amJuan

Girl’s got Takumi level Drift Skills she wasn’t even paying attention to the road hahahaha! I’m glad this is turning out well unlike the one from last season which was a complete train wreck

• October 10, 2014 at 5:14 amSeedStriker

Never, AND THE ROCK MEANS, NEVER underestimate a work directed by Tsutomu Mizushima, since the man has shown us that a seemingly low-ranking premise can be a giant killer, and this could be easily the next Girls und Panzer in the dark horse department. Clean presentation, characters which one can identify and honestly, it’s a breath of fresh air.
    Power drifting at 60 kph in FWD hatchbacks make me lol.

• October 10, 2014 at 7:01 amWanderer

I fuckin loved this premiere. I don’t care about memorizing characters’ names, just seeing their faces is enough. If this was a novel it would be a serious mess but with a visual media it’s not very hard to at least remember faces. Oh and I love the character design, can’t wait to see more of the blonde stoic gothic girl.
    This is two-cour? I couldn’t be more overjoyed! Definitely one of the series I’ll wait for with the least patience this season, hope it gets covered till the end!

• October 10, 2014 at 7:43 amSoliloquy

Oh, I don’t know as busy as the introduction scene was, as a guy who is very interested in anime production, I was very fascinated. I have already got a few impressions from some of the production staff due to their personality quirks other than the main girl.

• October 10, 2014 at 8:08 amGermanguy

Nice Easter Egg, too:
    When the Girl came home and take some Beer? out of the Fridge…

“Salty Dog”, Hello Captain Earth? :)

• October 10, 2014 at 1:49 pmFatrobo

Also Salty Dog could be a stand in for Sea Dog. It is a delicious beer from Florida with that very familiar white dog on blue label.

• October 10, 2014 at 8:54 amFabio

Loved the first episode.
    Worth the wait. :)

• October 10, 2014 at 1:20 pmJ_the_Man

I looked forward to this. I think everything but the slamming of 23 characters in my face at the same time worked out really well. I kept trying to find Miyamori’s classmates amongst the sea of humanity, and the one we do see plays no role in the episode outside the first five minutes. I’m gonna have to re-watch this episode so I can properly digest all the info.

• October 10, 2014 at 2:35 pmPetit Orenji

I shivered when I saw After Effects.

• October 11, 2014 at 1:52 amGermanguy

I can not Help it, when i see this Picture:
    Always the Imagine of Hayao Miyazaki cooking for his Crew, that i saw in a Video Interview long ago

• October 11, 2014 at 1:55 amGermanguy

If my Braincells not fail me, then it was in someone Interview about Ponyo (i have the Blu-Ray SE)
      I have many Blu-Ray of this Studio. Well, i grown up with their Films. This “little” Studio reached many many Children hearts, as they think.

Here again. I bow in deep respect for your passion to bring us Stories, Studio Ghibli

• October 11, 2014 at 1:56 amGermanguy

and this Film’s are my Basement of my Lighthouse today. Well enough of Private talk of me

• October 11, 2014 at 2:00 amGermanguy

“Learning from the Past, to have a better Future!, and try to Lite the Darkness of the Future Path for the Young Ones, to take their Fear and loneliness”

Is a conclusion that born from that Emotion, deep inside me

“Respect is for Knowing, Trust for Friendship. Love born from Heart” Thats my own

• October 12, 2014 at 4:27 pmAnonymous

Are those Ayahi Takagaki, Aki Toyosaki, and Minako Kotobuki? I know those three girls ddn’t invent these hairstyles but I still can’t help but associate them with this picture.

• October 13, 2014 at 11:32 pmdrezinka

This anime has such a “Hataraki man” feel to it! I absolutely love it! It combines the excitement and satisfaction in getting your work done on time and all the little things that make you feel significant and accomplished in the workplace.

• October 16, 2014 at 9:41 amGermanguy

Ep 02:

Alone the “Breath Life into the Figure!” from the Director, is totally worth watching. As if the Voice actor of this Anime figure is a Soul buddy.

This Show really have Soul. Yes, i think i want to watch this path

• October 16, 2014 at 9:48 amGermanguy

Well, at they discussing inside the Crew this Important matter and with Respect to each other.

• October 16, 2014 at 10:02 amGermanguy

I really like the Directors dreams and enthusiasm of the Crew. But above all Dreams and Hope, the big bad Money Budget is flying like a Grim reaper of Dreams.

Even Gundam G, is bind bye this Rule

• October 16, 2014 at 10:06 amGermanguy

I wished the General Manager, Yuka Okitsu should fill the role of the supervisor of the Budget in her kind of way. She is the Person with both Feet on on the Ground, called Finances reality

• October 16, 2014 at 10:10 amGermanguy

as you already guessed, this Show fan my Anime flame

Gome-ne, mina-san

• November 20, 2014 at 10:59 amGermanguy

Ep 07:

I only say The Fear of to fall short (fail to attain)

They even touch this “Dark side” in the Anime Production industry. i am still watching this

• November 27, 2014 at 11:27 amGermanguy

Ep 08:

i loved how they handle the Blockade of the Animator. Some Persons try to open some doors for her, and looks like she walked through it

I really loved, how the “old Senpai” helped her out.

it is nothing wrong in copying other Senpais. With this you begin to learn how to Walk. When you got good at it, then you can step out of His/her Senpai’s shadow, and begin to walk your own Way.

it is like in the school. technical, all Schoolers are copying letters and how to write them. With age you begin to give your writings your personal touch, am i not right?

i only say personal Autograph

See, there is nothing bad in copying to learn how to Walk. See this as the basement for your own Path (and do not sell the copying for your own. Thats awful)

In Short? Shirobako sill has it’s touch. Sure it is different then the other Animes. but for me (an Adult) it is entertainment, and let me wait for every week of a New Episode

• November 27, 2014 at 11:30 amGermanguy

note from me:

I suggest that RandomC Blogers, do not follow this Show. let it be of lack of time or no interest. So i try to bring the Fans of this, some Hints how the Story unfolds. Thats because i use these Appetizer.

I try to be as spoiler free as possible. But sometimes i need to use a little bit spoilers, like Salt in a soup.

So, Gome-ne Mina-san

• December 4, 2014 at 10:56 amGermanguy

Ep 09:
    this time the Episode open the Knot for the Finale

See sometimes, even the best Director has a “Blank out”. Perhaps this is the time like they done in Ep 8 with Ema.
    He or She could surf some Blogs knowing for Fanfiction or other external sources. To see his kind of Work from a Fan eye or other perspective

Gome-ne, but i think my Favorite Manga-ka of Claymore had done the same. Or the Land outside Claymore was never uncovered. Well in the Manga we only saw a glimp. But gave the hole story a reason

And my experience is tingling, and we will see our CG Girl in action… “Horses, hundred of them” i only say Madan no Ou to Vanadis

CG can work with hand-drawn Animations. But when both styles are on the same time on screen, then Uncandy Valley is your greatest enemy, or CG Budgets…

Do not see CG as Enemy. it do not make automatic some newbie into a Pro. They still need their Skills to drawn the Figures, the Soul. if it comes to Animes. Soulless things is easier then give Figures a Soul

Emotions = How can i display the Char Emotions? Visuals? Audio? Do i need the Background Theme for that? Like Rain, Sunlight, Spring and so on
    movement = do not forget the difference of hand drawn Animations (Frames per Seconds) and CG (Thats 1 part of the Uncandy Valley
    proportion = Have an Eye for deep in field heights. aka 2.5D Animations. sure with Computer-tan you just move the camera.
    Gamma = Well i call it gamma. have a eye for the intense of the Sunlight or darkness, like in Ronja. There is heavy uncandy valley, if the background suggest you midday or dawn, but the CG Sunlight says High-noon. You do not need to drawn to much realistic shadows, in the old Hand drawn time, they was also not 100% accurate. You know, in the end it is important how our Mind-cinema see it

Okay, Ghost in the Shell is an expectation. But fantasy and so on.. do you really need to measure the Sun position exact to the Figure to draw the Shadow? It worked in Knight of Sidonia. They have a artificial Sun inside the Life-ship and in Space there is no Atmosphere..so here the Sun is always on the same Spot, unlike Nature/Earth Landscapes (*hint*)

As you can see, if empty minded Directors or his Helpers, surf from time to time some Fan-fictions Blogs, we both can help us out

They perhaps get some important Mind Spark, that evolved into a SuperNova, and we fans get our Daily Animes

CG is not an Enemy, it can be your helper. in Workload or Budget. Dont fear it

• January 8, 2015 at 4:34 pmWorldwideDepp

Ep 13:

We got a new OP and ED

I want to talk a bit about the new OP

The Plane sequemce. Sure the Planes was CGI but i do not saw any “uncandy valley” in this. Well made. You get me this for you.

And if there was background CGI animation when the two of them talked about research. Also an
    from me

Only the car at the beginning could use more FPS. if there are no hand drawn animation on the screen, you can go full CGI. The eye do not have comparison effect. So Uncandy Valley not working.

Shirobako, Ganbare. And Desk-neesan, too :)

• January 8, 2015 at 5:06 pmWorldwideDepp

after re watching 2nd time, i found a Uncandy valley scene

When they was visiting the Airplanes Museum. When they was talking about her Research Friend, a Plane behind a Window class was landing on a runway….

Please watch these scene again, and perhaps you will find it out yourself

Yes, you forgotten the 3D effect. The Plane shadow on the runway ground. Without this shadow we get a flip book effect. Perhaps you inserted this scene in a hurry. But while continue the talking, we saw a AWACS Plane behind a Class of Orange Juice?, this time it had his 3D Shadow effect.

• January 8, 2015 at 6:12 pmWorldwideDepp

Black out on a Pilot:
      When the Brain get his Blood pressed out, because of the G-Force. Mostly on the Top of a looping

Red out:
      When the Brain gain to much Blood, there is a Risk of Brain Damage. Also because of the G-Force. Mostly on the bottom of a looping

But Whit-out?
      Gome-ne. But if you rub your eyes with a little pressure, do you not begin to see White Lights? I think it has something to do with the optical nerve and eye ball pressure. but this is only my guessing

But Flight suits, are there to help the Blood pressure to prevent this all

• January 8, 2015 at 6:21 pmWorldwideDepp

argh damm, i mean red out. the Blood rush into your brain. of course on a Top of a looping and Blackout when the G-force want to pull you through the floor :)

• January 9, 2015 at 3:27 amWorldwideDepp

i have a question to our fans here.
    in Episode 12, when She is visiting Kano, is this an “easter egg” of I-401 Submarine model behind him?

• January 22, 2015 at 9:53 amWorldwideDepp

Ep 14:

There was this Seiju meeting in this episode. And what they talked about singing and Opais and such…

You know, i saw lately Witch Craft Works. And i found some things..

Seiju’s able of singing. This 5 Witches in the ED, was only build in for this. Singing and Music CD pushes. I mean, what point was for them in the Anime?
    And in the ED they have the full screen-time. Rosario + Vampire the Female MC done the sining. That was okay. So this 5 subclass Witches was only for “music-cd” cast here

And this “Kissing on the lips is to embarrassing” play is so old.. is he a mice lower as a Mouse? Is he not men enough to kiss her on the Lips? And all Witches are after his White Stuff?..
    Then the push the Plot. We real saw it, after the Episode where he cast his first Big familiar..

• January 22, 2015 at 1:33 pmWorldwideDepp

btw, this forced summoning of the Familiar… Naruto Style…

• January 29, 2015 at 10:23 amWorldwideDepp

Ep 16:

Again a very good episode for me

And the Scene when they Drive to the Editor to get him, was the best :)

• January 29, 2015 at 10:26 amWorldwideDepp

and the Angel Dance, it was worth the Animation. It was awesome

And i did not know that they know to count to 8 in different languages, the last one was it Portuguese?

The Baseball Pitcher and Hitter Animation, *Naruto Gay Thumb Up Double*

• February 26, 2015 at 11:01 amWorldwideDepp

Ep 20:

I think these many Sidetracking in this Episode do not helped at all. The Anime team searching for an original Anime Ending, the sidetrack of Employers, the Girl start to write Dialog’s and so on.. i think these are became now a bit to much. To many “lose Ends” created. or i am not a fan of this. I dunno. It do not feel right for me. To many Cooks, destroy the meal for me

and yes, i feel like a supporter, hey i can dream

• February 26, 2015 at 11:03 amWorldwideDepp

i mean, i can life and handle with 3-4 Main course running parallel to the Main Story, but this Episode do not gave me the “good vibes”…

• March 11, 2015 at 9:00 amWorldwideDepp

Shirobako – Special:

Our Anime Director love Clint Eastwood. Now “Dirty Harry” SFPD Inspector has an cameo appearance

• March 19, 2015 at 11:37 amWorldwideDepp

Ep 23:

It get 9/10 from me. Alone for the Directors Fighting Scenes, it is alone for this worth watching

And yes our “Funny Story” Person get what he deserver

If you love Shriobako, you should not miss this Episode. Trust me

• March 20, 2015 at 8:11 amWorldwideDepp

I found this:

Miyamori Aoi when She is married and have Children drive to school.

• March 20, 2015 at 12:02 pmWorldwideDepp

btw, i admit it.

Even i could not hold back my Manly Tears, when Miyamori began to cry in the end. I could feel the same emotion like her. An Anime that transport Emotions to his Viewer, it’s the best. Do i need anything more to say?

Director, you were awesome. But you should also be happy to have such an Amazing Team, and a very Trustful President