« Summer 2019 Schedule

Enen no Shouboutai
25:25 MBS (07/05)
Val x Love
23:00 ATX (10/05)
Babylon
24:00 Prime (10/06)
Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!
23:30 ATX (10/07)
Chihayafuru 3
25:29 NTV (10/22)
Haatage! Kemono Michi
22:00 ATX (10/02)
Choujin Koukousei-tachi wa Isekai demo Yoyuu de Ikinuku you desu!
21:30 ATX (10/03)
Hoshiai no Sora
25:58 TBS (10/10)
PSYCHO-PASS 3
CX (10/24)
Legend: 2 2* 1 1 3
2* 1 2 0 Not covering

Now that every show has had a few episodes to make its case, it’s time to tell you what we’ll be blogging this season. This is Random Curiosity’s Fall 2019 blogging schedule.

As always, this is a tentative overview of our plans for the new season . . . is what we used to say, but with oodles episodes under our belts, we’re pretty confident in our picks. Will some of them lead to despair and regret? Probably. This is what we’re going with for now.

In staff news, Stars is otherwise occupied in the material realm, so she won’t be blogging. And for those who don’t remember last season, and are curious why there’s an asterisk by Zai-chan’s and Enzonon’s blogging totals? That’s because they’re still both writing about Vinland Saga. Yay! Oh, and also I guess some lazy fool named Stilts is blogging a show again. Though really, all credit goes to Pancakes for helping to cap HeroAca, which is what gives me the time to write about it. Thanks Pan-chan <3

(Usual reminder: writer applications are always open, and anyone is allowed to send me a RC-style example post at stilts(at)randomc(dot)net at any time.)

In show news, we’re clocking in at 14 shows, which is about where we like to be. Of course, that’s not all we’re watching, so be on the lookout for finale posts later in the season as well.

That’s all for now. Thank you all for reading, commenting, sharing, discording, and spending time with us however it manifests. Let’s enjoy another season of great anime together.

• 11/3: Choya will no longer be covering Kandagawa Jet Girls.
October 26, 2019 at 1:26 pm
  • October 26, 2019 at 3:20 pmDamrod

Huh, no shokugeki this time? No foodgasms?

• October 27, 2019 at 1:13 pmLyfe

I can’t imagine some people being overly eager to cover the series dropping off in a cliff in terms of quality towards the end.

• October 26, 2019 at 3:38 pmShrubbery

Kinda surprised Kono Oto Tomare isn’t being covered. I remember sticking to the show in the first cour because of Guardian Enzo’s posts. I’m now hooked on the show but might have dropped it if not for the blog posts. Glad I didn’t in the end. Eitherway, I’ll be looking forward to a finale post ;)

• October 26, 2019 at 5:45 pmsealouse

Not covering No Gun’s Life eh?

• October 26, 2019 at 6:56 pmAtsu

Good thing enzo is covering hi-score girl.
    A bit saddened that no one is blogging ahiru no sora. That anime has some real potential, gave some of those haikyuu vibes

• October 26, 2019 at 10:06 pmIncognito

Sad it’s not getting coverage:

- No Guns Life – Gorgeous visuals, an interesting story/setting, and it’s confirmed to get 24 episodes. What’s not to like? In any case, a season finale post would be nice.
    - Shinchou Yuusha – Honestly, the show’s getting funnier despite the one-week delay between episodes 2 and 3, but if you’re finding Seiya’s collateral property damage via “no kill like overkill” cringy…I guess I can feel ya on that front. Glad to have Listarte as the tsukkomi to Seiya’s boke, though.
    - Shin Chuuka Ichiban – I was hoping to see it get covered if only to see the reactions of the younger ones to an old-school cooking battle anime that didn’t rely too much on fanservice (unless it’s the actual food). But instead of being a full-on reboot or a sequel to the old anime, it’s more of a soft reboot of the arc after the Super Chef exams, which feels like a compromise for the old fans and newcomers picking this show up for the first time.

(Somewhat) Understandable it’s not getting coverage:

- Shokugeki no Soma: Shin no Sara – I’m pretty sure a lot of manga readers are looking forward to the conclusion of the Central arc in anime form, which is pretty awesome, to put it bluntly. It’s what comes after that that makes the same manga readers uneasy (or downright uninterested in continuing to watch).

Happy it’s still being covered:

- OreSuki – From (cursed “off-brand manga” number) joke to an actually entertaining romcom. Who knew?

Sad you’re gonna skip on some potentially good shows, but if you’re not too overloaded as a result (or want to watch some anime with no blogging pressure), that’s fine too.

Thanks for your hard work. o7

• October 27, 2019 at 3:09 amAngelus

To which I might add:

Amazed that someone has so much time to spare that they can think up something meaningful to write about it when there are other far better shows not being covered:

Assassin’s Pride
      Kandagawa Jet Girls

• October 31, 2019 at 8:44 pmafre

Gets views and has many comments, though the latter is dropping.

• November 2, 2019 at 7:12 amLyfe

@afre

Commenters only make up a tiny fraction of any articles views. Ask anyone who runs a successful website, they could easily get 10k-100k if not more views and only a small amount of comments. Some people just don’t feel like commenting on things, and thats fine.

So when you see a staff member here posting about a show and have seen they only average a few comments. I’d imagine the view count for that article in question is significantly higher.

• November 2, 2019 at 10:14 amafre

@Lyfe Be that as it may, the number and quality of the comments matter.

Of course this is overshadowed by the authors’ willingness to write about the anime. An anime or manga could have a large audience, but if no one wants to write about it, then no one will write about it, until we find someone who will.

• November 2, 2019 at 12:31 pmLyfe

No website of note cares about how many comments their articles get. As long as people are reading the articles that’s all that matters. No author is going to agonize that they only have a few comments lol. Views > Comments everytime.

• October 27, 2019 at 1:15 pmLyfe

I think the problem with some Shonen shows is that the creators are pretty much milking what starts as an interesting idea until it loses all meaning and becomes a chore to read/watch. Lots of huge franchises decline heavily in quality the longer they’re around. Which makes me wish some creators just ended sooner rather than later.

• October 27, 2019 at 1:22 pmLyfe

For example Fairy Tail

The conclusions to the Zeref/Acnologia fights were shockingly poor. Almost as if the author had no idea how to wrap up insanely powered villains in a satisfying way.

• October 26, 2019 at 11:32 pmArchaon

Kinda sad that no one covered Iruma!kun. It’s pretty great and charming.

• October 27, 2019 at 9:09 ammac65

That’s also a favorite of mine, Mairimashita! Iruma-kun.
      Clever without taking itself too seriously (last episode had a pretty good
      hook with the unexpected healing power of his blood). Lovin’ it!
      Honzuki no Gekokujou is a very charming, nice watch, too.
      No Guns Life is pretty good as well.
      Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! is iffy,
      I’ll give it another 2. The last episode didn’t seem to really go anywhere…

Haatage! Kemono Michi, why? Is there an actual story going on that
      I missed other than he’s irresponsibly collecting and caging monsters?

• October 27, 2019 at 1:20 amDewey

Shocked Beastars isn’t getting covered.

• October 27, 2019 at 3:14 amAngelus

Me too. TBH I though it would just be furryshit when I saw it listed for this season, but that would be to do it a very great injustice.

• November 1, 2019 at 2:20 amcvb

Probably the wonky 3d animations is to blame, but frankly, this is my first time seriously questioning the decisions to cover certain shows here.

Beastars is a ride and a sleeper hit on manga. The fact Kandagawa Jet Girls is covered over Beastars blows my mind.

• November 1, 2019 at 2:24 amcvb

Even Kono Oto Tomare deserves to be before Kandagawa.

• October 27, 2019 at 7:48 amstarss

Iruma-kun I am not surprised didn’t get picked up. I AM surprised you dropped Beastars though! Unless you were just reviewing the early-released first episode and don’t want to check out the unofficial fansubs.

• October 27, 2019 at 8:20 amSherris

Too bad nobody was interested in covering Babylon…

• October 27, 2019 at 10:02 amgrayne

I never usually comment on these posts on what’s getting blogged.

But I am very suprised Ascendence of a Bookworm isn’t being covered – classic blogging material I felt…

P.S Anyone not watching it – check it out. I am the last person to have thought I would enjoy it, but it is surprisingly good.

• October 27, 2019 at 1:19 pmLyfe

Not surprising that PSO2 wasn’t covered. I think you’d need a staff writer who actively plays the game to really appreciate the material enough to just fanboy/girl over. Such a person would probably be more vocal in support or against the direction the show takes and some of the little details.

• October 28, 2019 at 4:06 pmKisaChan

Surprised no one is covering Babylon, Hoshiai no Sora and Beastars those are possibly the best shows this season in my opinion, just a shock TBH.

• October 29, 2019 at 6:13 amPokeNirvash

I’ll be frank, I’m a little disappointed Kabukicho Sherlock isn’t being covered, but between its controversial subject matter (read: the transvestites) and my inability to handle constructive criticism without feeling the need to ad hominem the critic, perhaps its for the best.

I’m honestly surprised Kandagawa Jet Girls got picked up, though. I’d have thought that was a pass for sure!

• November 1, 2019 at 11:05 amSherris

Yeah, I wish someone bothered with Kabukicho Sherlock. It gets hate it doesn’t deserve.

• October 30, 2019 at 11:13 pmDavid

Would it be too much to ask to provide the English translations for the titles in the chart? With obnoxiously long light novel titles becoming the norm, I barely bother remembering key words from the English title, never mind the Japanese title, so the chart ends up largely meaningless (other than the fact that very little is being covered).

• October 31, 2019 at 8:41 amstarss

Is it me or has there been a ton more two-cour seasonal anime that there has been like 5 years ago.

• November 3, 2019 at 7:27 amFlowerDawn

Why Kandagawa Jet Girls when there are so many other series to write about? I mean, it’s got okay visuals, and the story isn’t bad, but I don’t understand why this series gets weekly coverage. Unless you’re doing it for the views?

• November 16, 2019 at 1:00 pmPokeNirvash

Apparently they didn’t understand either, because they just dropped it.