Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA – 02 »

Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA – 01

Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   01 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   02 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   03
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   04 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   05 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   06
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   07 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   08 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   09
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   10 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   11 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   12
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   13 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   14 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   15
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   16 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   17 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   18
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   19 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   20 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   21
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   22 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   23 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   24
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   25 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   26 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   27
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   28 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   29 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   30
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   31 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   32 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   33
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   34 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   35 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   36
Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   37 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   38 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   01   39

Summary:

Amami Haruka attends an Idolmaster Project audition in January and receives a letter the following month notifying her that she passed. Included with the letter is a shiny key-like object, but she accidentally loses it in a train station on her way to Tokyo. Fortunately, another girl picks it up and returns it to her on the train. Coincidentally, this girl – named Hagiwara Yukiho – is also someone who passed an audition, has the same shiny object, and is going to live at the same company dormitory. When they arrive at Tokyo, they end up not waiting to get picked up and instead get lost. Haruka remains upbeat and then gets to witness the launch of an iDOL into space from the middle of the city. However, the strong wind that blows back causes one of the kids nearby to notice that Haruka is wearing penguin panties. She gets so embarrassed by this that she hides behind Yukiho until they manage to find their way closer to the dormitory. Meanwhile, in space, Kikuchi Makoto pilots the Nebula iDOL to punch and destroy a large meteoroid. Each of the small fragments then fall to Earth, causing a beautiful meteor shower that Haruka and Yukiho are able to view from the Tokyo waterfront.

Haruka then notices that the object she’s carrying is shining again, but she turns her attention back to how cool that iDOL was. Unbeknownst to her, everything she says is being monitored by an iDOL that suddenly springs to life on that last comment. At the same time, a young girl jumps onto the railing in front of the two girls. She claims to know where Haruka is going and insists that Haruka go with her. Before Haruka can react, this young girl grabs her and jumps down towards the water, but a large iDOL emerges from the ground and sends them flying back into the air. A long, dark-haired woman nearby recognizes this iDOL as the Imber. She also has one of the shiny objects and when she clutches it, another iDOL – the Nubilum – activates from underwater. While this is going on, the Imber’s eyes glow red, and it allows Haruka to fall into its cockpit where she sees video of herself played back on the many monitors in front of her. The Nubilum soon arrives, and after it knocks down the Imber, the woman named Chihaya who called it out gets on board.

ED Sequence:

Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   ED   01 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   ED   02 Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA   ED   03

ED: 「悠久の旅人~Dear boy」 (Yuukyuu no Tabibito~Dear boy) by Snow*
Watch the ED! Mirror 1
The ending feels rather plain to me in all respects (song and the animation that went with it), so my initial impression is that it’s nothing really special.

First things first: For those of you who may not know, The Idolm@ster is a popular game about raising a pop idol. What XENOGLOSSIA does it is that it takes those characters and makes them mecha pilots – the mecha are known as iDOLs and their pilots are Idolmasters. Add to that the fact that Sunrise’s Mai-HiME/Otome team is working on this, and I think you have a fairly good recipe for success. Or so I thought…

Officially, Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA doesn’t start airing until April 2nd. However, the Japanese website @nifty is holding a special web preview of the first episode for 1000 lucky people, and that became available today. I could only find the low quality version, so that’s what’s reflected in the screenshots – in other words, the raw was pretty bad. If you download the ED I uploaded, you’ll notice that it’s a higher quality, and that’s because it was ripped by someone off 2ch.

As for the episode itself, I was a bit disappointed because it ended up being a bit on the boring side. We get introduced to several of the characters, including the ones voiced by Yukana (R.I.F.F.A.), Horie Yui (Yukiho), Tamura Yukari (Iori), Koshimizu Ami (Yayoi), and Noto Mamiko (Naze). The voice talent is thus top notch and I felt that they fit their respective characters very well, though I do admit that Iguchi Yuka voicing Haruka had to take a little getting used to.

But anyway, I think the problem was that the episode didn’t really get going until the final few minutes when the R.I.F.F.A and the iDOLs show up. In comparison to Sunrise’s other recent popular works, this was had relatively less action than both the first episode of CODE GEASS and the first episode of Mai-Otome. Still, I can see a lot of potential in the series, so it’s way too early to write this show off. Plus, it’s very possible that the low quality raw soured me on the other aspects like the story, meaning that my feelings might change when I see a higher quality version of the first episode come April 2nd when it officially starts airing.

March 23, 2007 at 8:53 pm
  • March 23, 2007 at 9:18 pmShiro

So this hasn’t aired yet on Japanese TV? Interesting what they did with the first episode and the website — i wonder if thats a sign of things to come in the future.

• March 23, 2007 at 9:49 pmjaalin

stay tuned for sanity graph #2, where i mercilessly and shamelessly ridicule omni’s choice for best anime of 2007

• March 23, 2007 at 10:13 pmChanin

OMG It’s Code geass season 2!!!!

• March 23, 2007 at 10:14 pmkigg

I like cheese

• March 23, 2007 at 10:18 pmDarr3n

It’s more like Code Geass + Mai Otome.

• March 23, 2007 at 10:28 pmpsychohare

looks interesting… too soon to conclude whether it’s good or not… will stay tuned to more of Omni’s reviews!

• March 23, 2007 at 10:45 pmRednights

Damn …. I honestly thought when I saw the title on first impression …

Xenogears ……. if you don’t know what that is … oh well … /cry

• March 23, 2007 at 10:59 pmShokkeru

Looks promising…
    I wonder if they will make any references to the game at all (other than the characters).
    Well at least it’s a mecha show and so I shall watch it. ^^

• March 23, 2007 at 11:11 pmGStrike-

this looks aright i’m going to watch a couple episodes before deciding to keep watching or not…

• March 23, 2007 at 11:58 pmshuffee

..I want it so bad!!! I do hope it turns out to be as good as (or better) than Mai-HiME :D
    Hopefully the second episode will turn out better.

• March 24, 2007 at 12:35 amGil

Never a fan of the Mai-Otome style character drawings.

• March 24, 2007 at 12:58 amTokki

Awesome, if it’s by the Mai-Hime staff then I might keep up with it.But if a hot guy is involved then I will without a dobut. I knew the character designs look fimilar. XD

• March 24, 2007 at 1:06 amZzz…

…um…hey…that train seems to be going a little too fast…shouldn’t it be slowing…

…wha…

…OMG…ITS GOING TO CRASH!!!

…RUNNNN!!!!!!!

• March 24, 2007 at 2:44 amkaplan

code geass+mai otome ? dont make me laugh. geass far better kind than this crap. this somethin like mai otome mobile suit edition. i hate girl heroes it makes me sick. idiotic girl pilots. go and save the world from bad guys. hah ! there is a line in my book:bleach+geass and the others.

• March 24, 2007 at 2:57 amSakabato

Kaplan, if you don’t like it, just don’t watch, where is the problem?

• March 24, 2007 at 3:05 ambd_

No insert songs :(

Though, I loled when I saw the laser hacksaw.

• March 24, 2007 at 5:03 amMutio

Ah remembers me a bit of good old Suzumiya:
    Don’t know if I’ll watch it. I’m a big Mai Otome fan but I had far enough from Mecha stuff. After Code Geass I don’t want to see mechas for at least 6 months..
    @Omni: Low quality version can do a huge difference. I remember myself watching Kanon on DVD yesterday and god, that’s a another dimension O_o.

• March 24, 2007 at 6:53 amBaka-Kun

Which ones the lesbian? ’cause every Sunrise show has at least one lesbian in it.
    Which is cool don’t get me wrong.

kaplan
    “i hate girl heroes it makes me sick”

I love girl heros, can’t get enough of them, would rather watch girls than some stick-like over-emoing bishounen any day.
    In fact if I ruled the world, I’d outlaw men and ugly people from appearing on any visual medium period, but that’s probably ’cause I’m a heterosexual man.

• March 24, 2007 at 9:14 amkaplan

@sakabato

of course i dont watch this. problem is someone says this shows smiliar with geass omg. come on
    we r talking about GEASS .

• March 24, 2007 at 10:25 amtyllon

kinda like eva – shinji + KAWAII shoujo(s)… the more the merrier
    by the way, the iDOL audition is looking for pilot or idol? or both???

• March 24, 2007 at 10:48 amChiu^2

so does this mean that I/we’ll have to wait till April 2nd when it officially airs? Not that I’m complaining or anything, but it looks interesting….
    I guess I’ll have to wait till then.

• March 24, 2007 at 12:20 pmdward

Idolmaster….I thought this anime has something to do with idol…ing…..but instead I see mecha!? Now that’s interesting…..

• March 24, 2007 at 12:21 pmMr.P

After 1st episode, Idolmaster XENOGLOSSIA = EVA + Mai Otome + Stratos 4 + Lovely Idol

• March 24, 2007 at 12:22 pmGil

However, Horie Yui & big-breasted girl does seem…interesting…hmm

• March 24, 2007 at 12:24 pmGil

Someone wake me up when they do a Hotspring episode….

• March 24, 2007 at 1:11 pmMentar

You know what was sorely missing in ep1? A good soundtrack. Extremely few pieces, and even them relatively low-key. Not remotely anything like the emotional impact when a Yuki Kajiura fires off something like “Mezame” or “Materialize”. For someone like me who WANTS to like this show, and who EXPECTS to like this show, this deficiency was very very tangible.

As for the rest: Hellooooo, EVA. We have Gendo, we have NERV, we have Misato, we have EVA-1 on spirit link with Shinji – he only switched genders. Or did he? I was never completely sure in Evangelion…

It’s exactly like Omni said. The first episode decided nothing. This can turn great or this can fall completely McFlat. We’ll have to see. But if I had to be honest, I’ve seen much better first episodes from Sunrise lately…

• March 24, 2007 at 2:56 pmEleutheria

So…narcolepsy is the new moe?

• March 24, 2007 at 3:22 pmbrooklyn otaku

hahahaha! that friggin mech looks like bram stokers dracula!! **SNORE**

• March 24, 2007 at 3:59 pmMimsy

A bit off subject. But what are you going to blog. The new season starts soon. And you ususally put up a list of what you are going to watch. SD JW

• March 24, 2007 at 4:01 pmOmni

The new season also features almost 50 shows. I’ve written up previews for half of them, but it’ll take me at least another 10-15 work hours to finish the preview.

• March 24, 2007 at 6:37 pmSom1

So is this a second season? If so then what’s 1st season called?

• March 24, 2007 at 10:03 pmZzz…

…1st season was called Jinki: Extend…

..hehehe…

…okay I’m kidding…don’t kill me…

• March 25, 2007 at 2:28 amEl Even

Definitely Mai-Otome if you ask me. I don’t know if you can see it(or perhaps I’m hallucinating), but the character faces are very similar to Mai-Otome characters.

Nina on the right:

Arika:

Which makes sense for Sunrise anyway; it would be foolhardy to use human capital to develop new designs.

• March 25, 2007 at 3:12 amwontaek

Yukiho reminds me of Siesta in Zero no Tsukaima in many ways.

• March 25, 2007 at 8:26 amXYz

got yuri/shojou-ai touch here and there…nice

• March 25, 2007 at 8:28 amOrphen

she looks like Misato in that angle O_o

@Gil
    i just hope they show something in the Onsen ep and its not censored XD

• March 25, 2007 at 1:06 pmMusouka

Another 2 weeks until the 2nd episode, I guess. Well, things can be worse. I think the ending songs is pretty good, eventhough the pictures that goes with it is rather plain, as you said.

• March 26, 2007 at 4:16 amKaioshin_Sama

Wow we managed to go a whole 37 comments without somebody bringing up that godforsaken myth about the “Sunrise Trainwreck”. Thank God, and good on everybody here for keeping that crap off this this blog entry.

• March 26, 2007 at 5:33 amJin , Masked Wizard

Aww man, what the heck are Sunrise do with this series?
    I was interested in idolmaster from the community of akibakko (akibako.net) I searching for information and hope that anime version will be satisfying. But when I see that Sunrise making in to Robot-anime with Mai-hime chara-drawing eas disappointing me.

But I will looking forward to watch some full episode , hoping that it should be good work.

P.S. I like Makoto but look like she don’t appearance in first Ep.

• March 29, 2007 at 6:49 pmShoujoGirl

My two cents on it.

• May 20, 2007 at 1:02 pmRage

Brooklyn Shit head

• June 7, 2007 at 1:53 pmphossil

I like a lot IdolMaster Xenoglossia. It is so cool and awesome!!!
    It really rocks!!!

^_^

• June 7, 2007 at 1:53 pmphossil

I like a lot IdolMaster Xenoglossia. It is so cool and awesome!!!
    It really rocks!!!