Macross Frontier – 01 (Normal Broadcast Version) »

Macross Frontier – 01

Macross Frontier   01   01 Macross Frontier   01   02 Macross Frontier   01   03
Macross Frontier   01   04 Macross Frontier   01   05 Macross Frontier   01   06
Macross Frontier   01   07 Macross Frontier   01   08 Macross Frontier   01   09
Macross Frontier   01   10 Macross Frontier   01   11 Macross Frontier   01   12
Macross Frontier   01   13 Macross Frontier   01   14 Macross Frontier   01   15
Macross Frontier   01   16 Macross Frontier   01   17 Macross Frontier   01   18
Macross Frontier   01   19 Macross Frontier   01   20 Macross Frontier   01   21
Macross Frontier   01   22 Macross Frontier   01   23 Macross Frontier   01   24
Macross Frontier   01   25 Macross Frontier   01   26 Macross Frontier   01   27
Macross Frontier   01   28 Macross Frontier   01   29 Macross Frontier   01   30
Macross Frontier   01   31 Macross Frontier   01   32 Macross Frontier   01   33
Macross Frontier   01   34 Macross Frontier   01   35 Macross Frontier   01   36
Macross Frontier   01   37 Macross Frontier   01   38 Macross Frontier   01   39

Summary:

In humanity’s past, there was a war with a race of giants called the Zentradi. With this first fight against extraterrestrial life, the human race experienced a crisis that put them close to extinction, so they entrusted their future to the advancement towards the cosmos. In search of a new world, they began a journey to every part of the galaxy. Now, in the year 2059AD, the gigantic 25th Immigrant Fleet known as Macross Frontier is headed for the center of the galaxy. On this particular day, the famous idol Sheryl Nome arrives on the Macross Frontier for a concert, and five guys who are going to be participating in the show are getting ready. One of them, a teen named Alto, wishes he could pilot a Valkyrie instead of an EXGear suit even though the EXGears are the same as those of the military. As he’s getting dressed by the concert hall, Alto encounters a girl named Ranka Lee who had gotten lost while trying to find her way to the concert after having gotten a ticket through her brother. Even though he’s angry with her for initially thinking that he’s a girl, Alto helps dry her wet clothes with the rockets on his EXGear and then shows her the way to the hall. To show her gratitude, Ranka invites Alto to the Chinese restaurant where she works, but for now, she rushes off to see the concert.

Unbeknownst to them, an emergency situation is developing outside the Macross Frontier: an enemy force has appeared and is taking out everything the military sends at it. The situation becomes so dire that military command contacts the Frontier President about it, and when an emergency message is broadcast across the fleet telling everyone to find shelter, it interrupts the concert too. Ranka’s brother Ozma, an ace pilot of the private military provider group S.M.S, is scrambled into action and soon finds himself in a heated battle against the enemy fighters. Though he and his wingmen fare decently and manage to take out some of their opponents, the other pilots aren’t so lucky. The larger enemies quickly blow their way through the defense fleet and head straight for the ship where the civilian population is. Alto meanwhile tries to confront Sheryl – who’s being whisked away to safety under heavy guard – for escaping while others are being left behind. Since arguing there accomplishes nothing, he flies up in his EXGear suit and watches as an alien creature lands and starts wreaking havoc. It soon notices him though and shoots at him, clipping the wing of his suit and sending him falling. Alto is saved when a Valkyrie VF-25 flies in and begins battling with the alien.

Unfortunately, the alien creature grabs onto the Valkyrie and forces its pilot to eject in his EXGear. Unfazed by the pilot’s rifle fire, the creature grabs and kills him by crushing him. It then turns its sights on Ranka who had fallen in the streets earlier and was slow to get back up. Realizing that his EXGear can work with the damaged Valkyrie, Alto jumps in and starts it up. Before the creature can do anything to Ranka, Alto saves her by distracting the alien with the Valkyrie’s guns.

ED Sequence

Macross Frontier   ED   01 Macross Frontier   ED   02 Macross Frontier   ED   03

ED: 「愛・おぼえていますか」 (Ai – Oboeteimasuka) by 中島愛 (Nakajima Megumi)
The ED is a modern version of the title song from the Macross movie (see the original here).

Macross Frontier   01   Preview 01 Macross Frontier   01   Preview 02 Macross Frontier   01   Preview 03

You’ll have to pardon my language, but holy shit that was amazing. The music (by Yoko Kanno), the animation, the battles – everything was so incredible, and I can’t begin to fathom how much money was spent on this. It was movie-level quality. The first half did a good job introducing the story and characters (even for someone like me who’s not intimately familiar with the franchise, this was very easy to get into), but it was the entire second half that had me on the edge of my seat. I don’t think a single episode has hooked me as quickly as this did in a long while – at least not since RXJ anyway. And from the look of the preview, there doesn’t seem to be a distinct drop of quality for the second episode either. I’d say Macross Frontier has easily shot up to the top of my list of most anticipated shows for the Spring 2008 – maybe even more than GEASS.

December 25, 2007 at 12:40 am
  • December 26, 2007 at 10:20 amfugue

i for one never fully understood the GEASS craze, but this series has be crawling on my knees and wishing it were April already!

also, is it me or does the voice that comes on to announce the emergency situation sound suspiciously like the “generic low-pitched voice” in Lucky Star? (the scene where Ranka’s brother spits his drink out cause he’s shocked he saw Ranka on tv)

• December 26, 2007 at 12:04 pmAkiraman

Looks like it has what a macross anime should have

• December 26, 2007 at 12:09 pmkaisis

wotta animation—
    this shud be interesting..

• December 26, 2007 at 3:17 pmjeremyocm

This one episode is starting to make me think of becoming a Macross fan.

What does “Gundam Jack” mean (my ability to google is pathetic)?

Ok, so my first anime series was Gundam Wing (There are still aspects of that series that leave me scratching my head).
    And as much as I enjoyed anime, few have left me with an immense sense of enjoyment at the beginning and at the end, though a lot of other anime have been quite pleasurable to watch.

The few that have:
    Gundam Wing, Black Lagoon, Gundam Project 0083, Ghost in the Shell

The recent ones:
    Project Geass: started out real well, but as it near the end, the rigour slipped (I’m not talking about the arcs), in episode 23 before Lelouch’s curse activated, his cave-in to Euphemia was so contrived, it went totally against the simple understanding that the Empire would crush all obstacles, even Euphemia, if an alternative center of power ever became viable.

Gundam 00: Not that I don’t appreciate the character development, or the turn to a timeline that I can relate to and a political situation that draw parallels. But it detracts from the one simple fact that Gundam pilots are the absolute benchmark in mobile suit battle. They can be fighting for different sides, beliefs, (madness) even in different suits, but locked in a fight, the survival instincts of the Gundam pilot comes out supreme, only the very best (maybe one to two) can rival the innate desire for victory.

Actually, my real question: Is the Macross series worth watching?

• December 26, 2007 at 4:42 pmMe

This episodes reminds us all of just why we love Macross so much really. The Itano Circus looks just as beautiful as ever.

However, from first appearances, I do not like Sheryl at all. The songs she’s done in episode 1 are okay, but she’s no Fire Bomber, and certainly no Minmei so far (Minmei will always be the best in my opinion; the character pretty much launched Mari Iijima’s career). Her off stage personality is far from likable, reeking of arrogance and apathy for those around her. Sure she’s going to have some ridiculous flop down the road, but still, not a good first start. The ED being a cover of Do You Remember Love just goes to show how lasting Minmei’s presence is and how memorable her songs were to the series as a whole- liked the original better, but was still a nice nostalgic fangasm.

I don’t see any Zentradi though, which is disappointing- they’ve been highly integrated into humanity since the ending arcs of the first Macross show, so it feels almost out of place to me to not see any dark green hair and pointed ears. Last time I checked, just about all of the colony fleets had large numbers of regular Zentradi ships to act as escorts (Megaroad 1 having an entire fleet escorting it) and even the Battle 7 had Zentradi staffing (Exedol probably being about as veteran as you could get aside from Vrlitwhai himself). Then again, it’s only episode 1, there’s still time for them to show up.

I’m also still hoping a Jenius will enter the series sooner or later. There were like, 7 Jenius daughters and one adoption and we’ve only seen three of those 7 daughters in series iirc (Komilia, Emilia, and Mylene).

• December 26, 2007 at 5:22 pmHeiae

@Jeremyocm

The original Macross is definitely a great watch. Don’t go near 7 though. Macross 7 just isn’t right..

• December 26, 2007 at 5:54 pmfoot

I was wondering will I need to watch macross 7 to understand whats going on in this new show?

• December 26, 2007 at 8:12 pmKyonne

I’m desapointed… A lot

• December 26, 2007 at 8:32 pmSlade

dear god… another Macross…. only my favorite series of all time…

• December 26, 2007 at 8:41 pmqwertypoiuy

wow great episode

• December 26, 2007 at 10:57 pmHeiae

@Foot

No. You won’t need to watch 7. It barely makes any sense – it’s a bunch of singing (“LISTEN TO MY SONG!”) and has space whales.

Be safe. Stay far away.

• December 26, 2007 at 11:40 pmanne

Geass? A pile of contrived shit that fell apart in the middle and now is sure to pander to fans. Macross F? Epic and full of awesome.

• December 26, 2007 at 11:59 pmjeremyocm

I will seek out Macross and avoid 7.

Oh, and Cowboy Bebop.
    So far its only a top 5 list for me.

Thanks :-)

• December 27, 2007 at 12:43 amoriondorado

Mmmm, Amazing!!

• December 27, 2007 at 2:25 amTensai Otaku

Merry christmas and a HAPPY NEW YEAR for randomc comunity!! And you omni for more one year from keeping a nice and fabulous updated anime blog!!

I really have to say something about macross:
    I am a very good fan of this series for a long time, but this MOVIE like quality has put me on a paralized-laughable state while watching this pearl!! SATTELITE no mina san you already had me hocked up with aquarion and other wonderfull projects from your studio….but….this time I am out of words to express my feelings….even animes like Hellsing OVA from geneon and the last naruto shippuden movie…are beaten very very easyly with MACROSS FRONTIER…I am serious talking here….I have 31 years old(more than 23 watching animes)also I live in Brazil….and I´VE NEVER SEEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS…even from my beloved companies like Kyoto animation , production I.G or from Geneon….this is a pure state of art that blends 2D animation with a 3D CG that sometimes gives you the impression that they created the 2X3D…AMAZING…JUST AMAZING…you want to hear more ok….AMAZING, WONDERFULL, INCREDIBLE, STUNNING, I LOVE YOU GUYS FROM SATTELITE YOU GAVE ME THE FEELING THAT I WAS WATCHING THE ” NEXTGEN ANIMATION “(I thought: I have a PS3 and I am dribbling with an anime that is not even in a High definition format)!!
    SATTELITE NO MINA SAN , IMA WA WATASHI WA ANATA TACHI NO DAI FAN DESU!!!
    IF YOUR GUYS MAKE A WHOLE SERIES WITH THIS QUALITY , FOR SURE YOUR COMPANY IS GOING TO BE THE TOP ONE FOR THE NEXT YEAR!!
    GAMBATE KUDASAI!!!!

• December 27, 2007 at 2:29 amTensai Otaku

PS: omni I am sorry but cold geass Has been passed in animation quality a long time ago…and compare this nextgen movie ( MACROSS FRONTIER )with a series that doesn´t beat even aquarion is nonsense!!But I know your just protecting your next season with a nice plot….and also the fans here… ^_^( I am also one of them)

• December 27, 2007 at 4:42 amSketch

If you’re new to the franchise and are interested in some back-story without a massive time investment you could watch the following:

Macross: Do You Remember Love (Excellent film retelling of the original TV series story)

Macross Plus (4 Part OAV, it’s a side story, but definitely worth watching if you haven’t already)

Macross Zero (5 Part OAV prequel, there is a lot of speculation on Macrossworld that Frontier is going to tie into the open ending of this series)

Macross Dynamite 7 (4 Part OAV, it’s a Macross 7 side story. Lighthearted and fun, good if you want a taste of Macross 7′s *ahem*… uniqueness without having to sit through 50 episodes)

If you have a bit more time on your hands, I highly recommend the original TV series; it’s fasntastic! Just make sure to avoid the Robotech butchery.

• December 27, 2007 at 4:46 amjubeihimura

Well ou have to give Macross series credits, they animations by leaps and bouns ever since they made Macross Plus (which was in 1994), one of the best mecha anime OVA’s ever, you just gotta love Isamu Alva Dyson! Although Macross 7 didn’t have the anime quality as the latter it still was a great storyline. Macross Zero made a unprecedented leaps and bounds in CGI upon it’s release and now we have Macross Frontier, it’s destined to be another good one.

Some comments on the actual episode… was it me or did the map clearly showed Eden (god i really hope there is a Dyson in this series)?

Second did Alto and his group tried to pull Isamu’s patented “Pertrosaur Swoop”?

• December 27, 2007 at 8:30 amragnez

yup that was planet EDEN were macross plus took place plus that was isamu’s move that they were about to do

• December 27, 2007 at 5:29 pmkiyoheha

i just watch this and i am still speechless all i can say is WOW and this must have cause a shit load of money because it is so awesome

• December 27, 2007 at 10:48 pmOnizuka-GTO

@mikemil828 & Maglor debate:

lol! Thanks for keeping me entertained. ;)

I’m one of those old hands, and i have to say that their is a lot of valid points of the “Jaded Macross Fan”. But while I agree with his points, doesn’t stop me from re-watching the episode eight times (and still counting).

That after all this time, and after all these criticism, the episode is still entertaining, gripping and really really makes me tear up and scream in excitement.

My head tells me it has problems, but my hearts loves it.

My point is that sometimes, when something touch you so much like macross, especially when you can remember exactly what you were doing at the time when you watched the various series, it adds to the dimension of Macross.

So please you two, please continue to debate the finer points of Macross frontier so that i don’t have to bother thinking too much so i can just sit here and drool all over my TV.

With beer in one hand.

Oh, and maybe the missus in the other. (if i’m sneaky) ;)

MACCCRROOOOOOOOOOOSSSSS!!!

*rocks to cheesy FULL-GAR HOT BLOOD bubblegum pop & Mecha awesome battles in the background*

GOOOOOO VALKYRIESSSSS !!!! XD

• December 27, 2007 at 11:12 pmsomerandom

so Shinsen subs or AiA-IZ?!

• December 28, 2007 at 1:29 amHighman

Watch the first Macross series as young kid, nicknamed as Robotech in American, but well I didn’t watch the whole as Toonami didn’t continued it more. But this is the first show that got me enough to love and to keep me interested in anime alot in my life. Well as I watched Macross Plus movies, did like as well, but as their 25th Anniversity for 2008, thsi should be a good for them and this probably the year that anime will make or break for anime in 2008. Nice animation on the first episode that really keep my interest on this show but damn we need more science fiction shows in battles between Ailens vs Humans, we need more dammitt and one day we may probably have an Halo anime.

• December 28, 2007 at 12:17 pm天氣汽車

“Me”,

I thought Sheryl was rather mature and collected; there’s a difference between apathy and a measured disposition. Minmei certainly has her place in this series’ history, but I like the change. I hope they don’t turn her into the one-dimensional character you’re thinking about.

I also wouldn’t want to see this genre slip into the self-righteous anti-war lectures which have plagued a hundred different animes (like Gundam).

And there is NO WAY this quality is going to last the entire series. The only way it could last is if the producers planned for an enourmous revenue windfall from another source outside of Japan. As we all know, they’re not that bright; more accurately, they’re risk averse which is why we’re watching this on fansubs rather than on a US network. Since they’re still restricted to the same budgetary/logistical/technological constraints (more or less), look for this to drop off before episode 4.

Of course, if they don’t fall into the damned clichés (like the ones mentioned above), if the story and the characters rock,

I - WON’T - CARE!!!.

• December 28, 2007 at 6:26 pmjubeihimura

The most terrible part of this anime is that we might be waiting 6 months before episode 2 gets out. DOes anyone know if this is another OVA or not? Macross is known to no longer go for series but rather OVA with crazy CGI qualities…

• December 28, 2007 at 9:26 pmkureejii

amazing~~ though i don’t really understand what was happening after that bit with the alien owning everyone and ripping mecha to bits and squishing people to pools of blood. Yeah…anyway, was that alien thing the same kind of alien as the other aliens which attacked earlier (as in earlier in their quick history lesson at the beginning?)

It was really pretty. Though that pop idol person should stop changing her hair colour because it confused me so much. First it was blond, then it was pinkish, and then it was blue and green and ZOMG!

• December 28, 2007 at 11:33 pmida

nice animation, damn.

• December 29, 2007 at 6:12 amjackdoe

I hope it ties to the original Macross heavily. Maybe the “genius” pilot is still alive after all these years?

• December 30, 2007 at 5:44 amninjikiran

Im finally excited again~ Dont get me wrong there was fairly good anime this season but nothing that really popped out. Gundam 00 is still building up and Macross seems to thrust you right into it. Im loving episode one, looking foward to EP2.

• December 30, 2007 at 2:58 pmTerry-Kun

better than expected! I havent seen the other ones, but
    I still really like this one. With all the bad shows this season,
    this one is probaly the top #1 for me for now…well until winter
    season is over…I’ll be sure to watch more!

• December 30, 2007 at 9:41 pmDukeTheGold

Seems like a hybrid product of Heroic Age and Evangelion, must go check it!

• January 3, 2008 at 9:52 ampolar bear

• January 4, 2008 at 12:20 pmmayara

OH MY … OH MY .. I’m in love XD
    Mix of comedy and Mecha .. guys don’t miss this ..

QUESTION
    Is it true .. that the rest of this anime won’t be released till next April???

• January 5, 2008 at 11:03 pmHei

omfg this is the most anticipated show for spring it’s final
    yes even more than geass and that’s something mate
    but i wish they wouldn’t have showed it to us since now i’ll be all antsy for it now :[

• January 6, 2008 at 6:18 amakari_house

I think the Geass comparison is apt, as the series composition to Macross Frontier is being handled by the same screenwriter as Code Geass (which had me cautiously optimistic about this show since I heard that, aside from being a fan of original Macross since before Robotech came out–which made me cautiously pessimistic about a new TV series after Macross 7).

• January 8, 2008 at 6:40 ampinoy78

I absolutely loved the first episode.

They’ve paid homage to each of the past series, ova’s, or movies in honor of the 25th Anniversary. It’s wonderful to see a brand new Macross tv series in Japan after ten years, this is probably the top show I’ll be looking foward to since I’m such a big fan of the franchise. Big West must’ve dropped a ton of dough for this and it shows in spades, the character designs could use a bit of work but that’s hardly a problem.

April seems sooooooooo far away now.

• January 9, 2008 at 12:44 amXtreme

I am big code geass fan my self , have say this is a Stunting Episode .
    10/10

Macross Frontier = Epic !

• January 11, 2008 at 4:00 amDJ

If any of you are old enough to remember the original Macross, the animation was top notch as well! Even the DYRL has a ton of missiles and explosions in the final battle. haha

Hope this will usher in a new generation of Macross fans!

• January 11, 2008 at 4:01 amDJ

oh Ai Oboetimasuka as the ending song!

FUCKING AMAZING.

Got me all nostalgic haha

• January 11, 2008 at 3:08 pmYakamaru

Fuck, don’t tell me we have to wait untill APRIL for the next episode?!?!?

• January 13, 2008 at 9:55 amKGFJ

This is an ANIME, so stop being so serious about the whole thing! Give a chance man, we can’t always compare one anie to another! I’m a geass fan myself, but I don’t mind enjoying other anime as well.
    About the animation quality, I can’t say nothing, because it’s trully fantastic! I’ve never seen anything like this (although not enough to make me a macross fan, but it’s only my opinion). About the plot, I don’t know, it’s too early to decide, but obviously it won’t be as complicated as Code Geass.
    It’s only a business strategy to hang this until April, so it will compete with Code Geass and other waiting-list anime like Kyou Kara Maoh! 3rd season, and others.

• January 15, 2008 at 2:51 amTakazama

i hope there’ll be no over-emphasization of music like in Macross 7. Sorry to say but i was super disappointed with Macross 7 (to no offense of their fans) and almost to the extend of hating it. Thank God there were Zero and now Frontier (by the look of it)to really get me hooked back with Macross.

• February 2, 2008 at 8:09 amkalyi

oh my god, the first episode was AMAZING. out of all anime series I have watched, I’ve never been hooked so much by a single episode, at least not since the big geass cliffhanger. but damn, I fell in love with this series already

• April 3, 2008 at 3:00 ampinoy78

…Frontier is HOURS away from broadcast in Japan.

What a GREAT time to be a Macross fan.

• April 3, 2008 at 10:07 amtonbo

Barely an hour away to the MBS telecast…

here’s a little teaser treat in the form of an updated Wiki page:

• April 4, 2008 at 8:19 pmhypertoast

THIS LOOKS AWESOME! but why am I getting gundam seed vibes from this? attack on a colony, guy trying to protect people, giant robots….

• April 10, 2008 at 2:12 pmGlacia

Since I’ve always thought Code Geass to be extremely overhyped, I have to say it makes more sense to compare the Macross Franchise to the Gundam Franchise since they both have an incredibly long history.

Code Geass is a freakin’ soap opera in comparison >__>

Second episode of Frontier airs today, WOOT!

• April 13, 2008 at 9:30 ammai

I just remember when I watched this for the first time… I also let out a frustrated gasp at the end. What a cliffhanger!

• May 2, 2008 at 4:41 pmKittyfo

i called this series Mo’e and got yelled at…. Ah… BUT THERE ARE MOE CHARACTERS IN THIS!! That pink girlie boy , the cute green hair girl with the puppy ears hair,and the former Kabuki actor

• May 17, 2008 at 12:14 pmHollowKing

It looks awesome granted, seems like a bit of a rip-off of Gundam 00 and Code Geass (1) + R2

What with the mecha and all, plus the tragic storyline

PLUS, Mecha Animes are increasing quickly, people have noticed that from the likes of Code Geass and Gundam 00

Its a pity though, the numbers of normal, shounen and shoujo, is drastically dropping, along with Shounen Jump cutting manga titles from their weekly publications…

real shame, but this still looks good, ill check it out

• May 23, 2008 at 12:23 amCopier

• July 19, 2008 at 5:14 pmMike-alpha-charlie-romeo-oscar-sierra-sierra

Yes the intro quality is definitely out there, but for me a long-time fan, I didn’t really dig macross 7. This at a first glance seems to be trying to follow the classic storyline of a boy-genius who becomes an ace pilot during an emergency. I thought Macross Plus and Macross Zero broke that trend. Right now it seems like Macross Frontier is content to use the original as a template instead of paving the way like the last two OAVs.

• « Older Comments