To LOVE-Ru – 04 »« To LOVE-Ru – 02

To LOVE Ru   03   28 To LOVE Ru   03   29 To LOVE Ru   03   30
To LOVE Ru   03   31 To LOVE Ru   03   32 To LOVE Ru   03   33
To LOVE Ru   03   34 To LOVE Ru   03   35 To LOVE Ru   03   36

「三角関係」 (Sankaku Kankei)
“Love Triangle”

Episode at a Glance:
With Lala officially transferred to his school, Rito’s easygoing school life comes to an end as he tries to prevent her alien identity from being exposed. During an outing with Lala and Mikan, the three get caught up in an incident when Peke’s power wears down and Lala’s clothes start disappearing. Rito and the others eventually run into Haruna and they all decide to check out the newly opened aquarium. There, Lala gets caught up in some wacky antics, which interrupt Rito’s perfect chance to confess to Haruna. Despite being unable to confess, Rito feels that he’s finally grown closer to Haruna, who evidently likes him in return. Unfortunately for him though, the very next day he trips and lands face first into her chest.

Next Episode:
「宇宙のLOVEエプロン」 (Uchuu no LOVE Epuron)
“The Universe’s Apron of Love”

To LOVE Ru   03   Preview 01 To LOVE Ru   03   Preview 02 To LOVE Ru   03   Preview 03

PRECAUTION: If To LOVE-Ru is not the kind of show you enjoy, you need not read on. To the rest of you who enjoy an ecchi romance comedy for some laughs, please read on for some interesting relationship developments this week.

The main scene of interest for me this episode was the one we saw in the preview last time. As it turns out, Haruna was about to use this opportunity to confess her feelings to Rito. Now my original thought when I started watching To LOVE-Ru was that neither Rito nor Haruna would try to confess until near the end of the series (much like most romance comedies, let alone ecchi ones), so it was refreshing to see both characters show every indication of doing so early on. They were ultimately interrupted though, but I’m sure everyone saw that coming.

To me, all the ecchi-ness of this episode really took a backseat to the Rito x Haruna stuff, so if you’re like me and are watching more for the relationship aspect, you should be pleased to know that Rito’s not quite like the typical, spineless male protagonist you would expect from these kind of shows. In fact, he was smart enough to sense Haruna’s confession and try to do the “manly” thing by confessing first.

The other interesting thing I noticed this episode is how “relationship smart” Mikan is. Rito and Haruna were only able to get some time alone after Mikan sensed the mood. From that, I get the feeling she’s going to play a more prominent matchmaker role down the road. As for the ecchi comedy in this episode, it pretty much speaks for itself, so I don’t intend on elaborating about it here.

I stated back in my introduction post that romance comedies are one of my favorite genres. Although you may not believe me, the main reason I watch fan-service type shows like this is because they revolve around well… comedic relationships. To me, the ecchi touch is just a stylistic thing, which only means that the fan-service shots will be more abundant. Despite that, the main focus of these shows is still the relationships, much like this episode has shown us. While I’m sure there are people who watch this genre just for the perverted stuff, I’m fairly confident that there are others who see these shows as more than that.

In any case, Haruna’s character is quickly growing on me and I look forward to seeing what’s happening here next episode.

Cast:
- Yuuki Rito (結城 梨斗) / Watanabe Akeno (渡辺 明乃)
- Lala Satalin Deviluke (ララ・サタリン・デビルーク) / Tomatsu Haruka (戸松 遥)
- Sairenji Haruna (西連寺 春菜) / Yahagi Sayuri (矢作 紗友里)
- Yuuki Mikan (結城 美柑) / Hanazawa Kana (花澤 香菜)
- Peke (ペケ) / Arai Satomi (新井 里美)
- Momioka Risa (籾岡 里紗) / Yuzuki Ryouka (柚木 涼香)
- Sawada Mio (沢田 未央) / Chiba Chiemi (千葉 千恵巳)
- Fish breeding staff (飼育係) / Inada Tetsu (稲田 徹)
- High school principal (校長先生) / Ogata Kenichi (緒方 賢一)
- Arts teacher (美術教師) / Konno Jun (金野 潤)
- Catcher (キャッチャー) / Adzuma Masataka (我妻 正崇)
- Umpire (アンパイア) / Densaka Tsutomu (伝坂 勉)
- Couple man (カップル男) / Matsuo Daisuke (松尾 大亮)
- Couple woman (カップル女) / Sasaki Hinako (佐々木 日菜子)

April 19, 2008 at 12:28 am
  • April 19, 2008 at 12:32 amJay

wow this show sucks.

• April 19, 2008 at 12:36 amdraego

i like this show better when it was called URUSEI YATSURA

• April 19, 2008 at 12:36 amAlex4life

reading is fun eh jay?

• April 19, 2008 at 12:41 amlordip

hmmm… yeap…this one sucks …Kanokon better … more laugh .. more echhiness …

• April 19, 2008 at 12:45 amRmX

Where the hell is my manga adaptation?

• April 19, 2008 at 12:46 amDrakron

True, Kanokon does it better … heck the manga at least was not trying to do be “serious” (I given up on this without even finishing the first episode) and simply gone down the ecchi comedy route makes it far more worthy to see that this.

• April 19, 2008 at 12:51 amJezreel

I like this episode

esta muy xido la trama aunque sea ecchi este anime, pero no importa, lo importante es la trama y la historia en el que se desenvuelve el anime

saludos

• April 19, 2008 at 1:08 amKona

Rito’s shirt reminds me of those old movies where peasents where those weird shirts…=_=

• April 19, 2008 at 1:33 amsuguru

> i like this show better when it was called URUSEI YATSURA

I think this is actually why I like Toloveru–it reminds me of UY in a good way.

Great write-up though, Divine–I like the short episode at a glance summary, short and to the point.

• April 19, 2008 at 1:57 amdivine

@suguru:
    Thanks for the feedback. I plan to give “at a glance” summaries in the future when it makes sense to do so.

• April 19, 2008 at 2:04 amramiel_salbazier

Well I’m rather skeptic about this at first. But, then I try to read the manga again and it
    was hilarious. I don’t think I’ll watch the anime though. But, who knows?

• April 19, 2008 at 2:08 amSamurai Pumpkin

Woot! Well done. I admit that I like these for the romantic aspect as well. The fanservice is just a side. Thanks a ton Divine!

• April 19, 2008 at 2:10 amThe_Worlds_Best_Anime_Fan_Freak

@Divine

I watched the first two episodes they were alright about 70%, i’m going to get it a few more chances. Great job on the blog!

• April 19, 2008 at 2:52 amKicktheShinn

Yeah, I’m not too much of a fan of this show…but I think divine has done an excellent job on the blogs. The format and episode details are very thorough, and your opinions are definitely well-based. I’m glad you jumped on to RandC!!

• April 19, 2008 at 3:34 ammutio

I find the manga quite amusing, however the anime doesn’t interest me a bit.
    In the manga they are in a video game world atm, damn funny xD.

• April 19, 2008 at 4:02 amDiabolikul

i like divine better than patrik,hes a lot better

• April 19, 2008 at 4:35 amvexx

I almost dropped this after episode 2 …. perhaps we’ll actually give it the usual 3 episode probation. I can get my plotless wacky hijinks elsewhere but if there’s a bit of story…

• April 19, 2008 at 5:02 amIfOnlyYouKnew

can anyone say wtf to this? lol

I’m sorry but that is the most perverted alien on a unicycle sketch I have EVER scene, and I’m not even trying to be sick about it either… I don’t know if it was intentionally supposed to look THAT wrong but goddamn it really does, and I’m sorry for any little kids reading this, so if you’re lost by what I’m talking about, then you’re better off…

• April 19, 2008 at 5:15 amDeranged

Heh… it is growing on me… better than what I feel about most fanservice shows and its sort of taken a backseat in the background now…

Loved the manga to bits and Im fine with how it was adapted.

• April 19, 2008 at 5:20 amteutates

“I stated back in my introduction post that romance comedies are one of my favorite genres. Although you may not believe me, the main reason I watch fan-service type shows like this is because they revolve around well… comedic relationships. To me, the ecchi touch is just a stylistic thing,”

I believe its the same reason why i watch ecchi :P

Looks likes a good episode.

• April 19, 2008 at 5:58 amAmyable

@draego

Thanks for mentioning UY. I thought I was the only one that noticed the similarities/plagiarism.

• April 19, 2008 at 6:17 amMyssa Rei

I was wondering about how people seem to ignore (or not notice) the fact that, eh, Lala has a TAIL, of all things, and it’s not even the cute type too…

• April 19, 2008 at 6:33 amGod~knows~

Damn it !! I knew I was forgetting something important (>.

• April 19, 2008 at 6:38 amtonbo

we had Steel Angel Kurumi and Rizelmine all those years ago… now we got ‘ToRabuRu’ [Trouble]

in the absence of Haruhi-party , Negi-party or Konata-party , we need all the m.o.e available for download… so Rito+Haruna really turned up at a good time. [plus1 we have Toshokan Sensou and Druaga no To, plus2 most of Haruhi-Raki*Suta cast members are on Macross F]

‘least me not doing fansubs anymore… phew, the load would kill me.

• April 19, 2008 at 6:43 amtonbo

think i like the ‘ima da!!!’ [ala 'CHANCE!!!!'] moments best…
    thx Divine (left this out)

• April 19, 2008 at 6:58 amCoconut Cream

I like Haruna too ^^ and I also watch for the relationships more than the ecchi stuff

• April 19, 2008 at 7:06 amGod~knows~

Okay I finally watched some of it already,and its not that bad.I actually think its getting back on its feet after that horrible second episode where 90% of the episode was made up, anime original, storyline(which means its utter non-sense).I’ve been following the manga closely and I can say that I love this way more than Kanokon even while I was reading the manga.I think the main problem here its the time constraints.Episode 2 was supposed to reinforce Lala & Rito’s relationship but they chose the easy fanservice route.But in episode 3 they mannaged to cover up to chapter 10.And AGAIN they skipped alot of Rito’s character development,Haruna’s character development,and Lala’s character development.Its only reprive is that the studio apparently dropped the “making up stuff” plan in favor of the actual story but is still making fanservice its main theme.

• April 19, 2008 at 7:20 amHaneul Han

Seems to me like the manga would be a better choice than the anime, seeing as how much QUALITY there is in the anime.
    I liked this more when it was called Kore ga Watashi no Goshujin-sama.

• April 19, 2008 at 7:36 amLevy

Good work Divine, I agree with you 100%. The comedic and romantic aspects is the main reason I watch these animes as well.

• April 19, 2008 at 8:46 amnaneye

I can’t believe you’re blogging this idiot anime.

• April 19, 2008 at 9:48 amshugima

Mikan is defenitly relation smart, she notices so much, and sshe does the same in the latest manga chapter.

• April 19, 2008 at 9:57 amLeviathan

Good show, very good post Divine. You see this show in the right prospective, (although I can also enjoy the ecchi and comedy besides the romance) and you are now one of my favorite bloggers.
    Please ignore all the tasteless faggots above me. Funny how they find this show to be suck yet they worship shows garblob action shows like Soul Eater.

• April 19, 2008 at 10:04 amdeath_killz

kanakons stupid cuz the protagonist is a gayass little cunt unlike the guy in this series

• April 19, 2008 at 11:06 amOwaranai Destiny

I don’t quite believe that anyone has the right to criticise a blogger because of what he/she loves to do it. Hey, maybe that’s why LOTS of bloggers have been leaving R.C. Because of a selected group of ‘delightful’ people.

Anyway, I thought this is pretty refreshing (your take on such shows, that is) although personally I don’t find To-Love-Ru an excellent show. It still has it’s good points and flaws like every other show, just which one is more noticeable to the discerning viewer. While I’m glad for a positive take from you, maybe a little bit of opinion on the negative side as well, such as which points you don’t seem to find acceptable in your way?

Thanks for blogging this show. :)

• April 19, 2008 at 12:10 pmwarcheef

worst manga adaption ever… the manga is good but this is..!…

• April 19, 2008 at 1:02 pmRaiji

Say, divine, how do we know if a series is good or not if you keep saying every series is to your liking? Gee…

• April 19, 2008 at 2:22 pmmiden

great job kleep up the bloggng ness XD!! its staightgto the point. i love these kind of shows XD. seems like a fun episode overall

• April 19, 2008 at 2:25 pmDeath

@Raiji: Watch the show yourself and see if you like it or think it’s good. Everyone has their own taste.

• April 19, 2008 at 4:24 pmJason Isenberg

Shoot honestly I love the quality and how nice the mood was at the aquarium =). Even though it was totally expected some interruption would happen, its nice to say “SAY IT FAST DAMN IT THE WATERS COMING!” haha.

• April 19, 2008 at 4:26 pmShinn Agami

It’s a BLOG, it’s opinionated, that’s what it is. Don’t like it? leave. I’m still amazed at the level of hate this series generated ever since that review by Patrik, and *4channewfagotitis* seems to be contagious nowadays, as seen on some comments here.

Keep it up divine, and don’t let those attention whores/trolls bog you down.

• April 19, 2008 at 5:24 pmkamina

i like this show just as much as kanokon, those who thinks this sucks shouldn’t post their comment here because they are unnecessary!

• April 19, 2008 at 6:36 pmHaesslich

One problem with the anime is they’re going with more fanservice than the manga, and taking out some of the other developments… but it’s still better than Rosario and Patsu was. We need Ren-chan to show up soon, in order to kick things up a bit.

• April 19, 2008 at 10:26 pmJay

devine i would like to tell you that you are doing a great job. i apologize for my earlier opinion, but i really think this show sucks. lol.

• April 19, 2008 at 10:58 pmvedasisme

This takes me back to when I first started reading the manga.

Indeed, these developments that happened in the beginning of the story were very interesting, and added a lot to the plot. The relationships between all the characters progress at a tolerable pace compared to a lot of other shows and that’s one of the things that separates ToLoveRu from other ecchi-romance-comedies.

I stopped reading the manga around chapter 50, but at that point the i felt that the fanservice had become a bit formulaic, so that’s just something to watch out for.

• April 19, 2008 at 11:34 pmHaesslich

vedasisme – Well, after about Chapter 60 or so they toss in a few new characters, so we get some development again, including Yami starting to actually relate to other people. It’s better than Kanokon at least, where the fanservice is on the far edge of ‘WTF’ and ‘So this is what the Kodomo no Jikan people didn’t want to write’…

• April 20, 2008 at 2:20 amdivine

@Haesslich:
    Speaking of Kodomo no Jikan, I actually really enjoyed that series. It touched on a lot of very “real” issues in life, so it wasn’t just all pedophilic comedy.

• April 20, 2008 at 11:11 amCuHoHipHop@ACVN

I think this show is a lot better in compare with Kanokon :/ It’s suitable for a lot more of people who want some “decent” shows. For you who prefer Kanokon, true hentai may suit your taste better :)