Sheryl Nome starring May’n – Northern Cross Live (MelodiX!) »« Macross Frontier – 22

Macross Frontier – 23

Macross Frontier   23   01 Macross Frontier   23   02 Macross Frontier   23   03
Macross Frontier   23   04 Macross Frontier   23   05 Macross Frontier   23   06
Macross Frontier   23   07 Macross Frontier   23   08 Macross Frontier   23   09
Macross Frontier   23   10 Macross Frontier   23   11 Macross Frontier   23   12
Macross Frontier   23   13 Macross Frontier   23   14 Macross Frontier   23   15
Macross Frontier   23   16 Macross Frontier   23   17 Macross Frontier   23   18
Macross Frontier   23   19 Macross Frontier   23   20 Macross Frontier   23   21
Macross Frontier   23   22 Macross Frontier   23   23 Macross Frontier   23   24
Macross Frontier   23   25 Macross Frontier   23   26 Macross Frontier   23   27
Macross Frontier   23   28 Macross Frontier   23   29 Macross Frontier   23   30
Macross Frontier   23   31 Macross Frontier   23   32 Macross Frontier   23   33
Macross Frontier   23   34 Macross Frontier   23   35 Macross Frontier   23   36
Macross Frontier   23   37 Macross Frontier   23   38 Macross Frontier   23   39

Summary:

Many years ago, when Ranka was still young, she had been in a lab when her mother and Grace had been arguing about Grace’s plan to sacrifice something. Grace had wanted to change the world by combining her implant network theory with the Vajra’s zero-time Fold communications, and when Ranshe tried to protest but ended up coughing instead, Grace had questioned why Ranshe protected the Vajra to the point that she became so sick. Right after young Ranka realizes that she’s sitting beside a boy, she wakes up to Brera’s voice telling her that they’ve arrived at their destination. Meanwhile, on the Macross Frontier, Leon reassures some men that their journey will end soon with the best of goals. For the time being, the government is having all civilians carry around oxygen masks due to the low partial pressure of oxygen. Alto is at this moment flying a patrol around one of the abandoned islands, thinking about how fragile the vessels are and how he had felt that they were inescapable cages. He later meets with Sheryl for dinner, and she insists on them having a toast. Sheryl then gulps down a glass of wine and reveals that being like this has always been her dream. She makes Alto carry her to bed after she’s finished eating the food he cooked, and while she’s in his arms, she asks him not to go home and to always stay by her side. As Alto watches her sleep, he notes that she hasn’t been acting herself, but after seeing the bottle of pills on her nightstand, he wonders if it’s understandable.

Back at the alien planet, Ranka thanks Brera for going along with her selfish request, so he explains that, for a cyborg with no memories, orders are absolute. His raison d’être was to carry out those orders, but when he heard Ranka’s song, something overflowed inside of him, and doing all this is his thanks for that. Brera talks about how Aimo is the only memory he has, but before their conversation about it can continue any further, hundreds of Vajra suddenly de-Fold. Ranka sings Aimo to keep the Vajra at bay, and when Brera joins her with his harmonica, she’s reminded of her past with her mother and the boy who she still doesn’t recognize. Afterwards, Brera gives her his harmonica as a charm so that her wish is realized. Their moment together is short-lived though because the Vajra suddenly attack. Alto meanwhile gets called to a meeting with Leon and Richard Birla, and Leon reports the detection of a faint Fold wave. They’ve confirmed that it was from Ranka singing, and it has allowed them to finally figure out the location of the Vajra homeworld. Alto is ready to fight, but first he wants to know if the purpose of it is to obtain Fold Quartz, so Birla explains that the Vajra just have a habit of collecting raw Fold Quartz materials. Leon notes though that their goal as humans is primarily to survive, and for the future of humanity, they need to destroy the Vajra. He claims that this is because the Vajra are trying to obliterate mankind, and he surprises Alto by stating that the Vajra are using Ranka.

Leon continues by explaining that the Vajra don’t have brains – instead, they communicate with Fold waves via a network of enterobacteria. Each Vajra acts like a synapse, and they have no notion of individuality, so they behave as one swarm. When Alto tries to point out that Ranka’s song affects the Vajra, Leon wonders if Alto has thought about why that’s possible. Leon knows that those bacteria don’t live in human intestines and in fact bring death to humans. The only exception he can think of is if a child were infected while in the womb, and that would mean that a coexistence with the Vajra was chosen. Leon finishes by suggesting that Ranka connects them to the Vajra and that she will become the vanguard who can destroy them. Back in the space around the Vajra planet, Brera tries to reassure Ranka by promising to protect her, but she doesn’t want more fighting. Ranka gets out of the Valkyries’ cockpit after seeing Ai-kun nearby, but it turns out to be a trap, and as she’s getting carried away, Ranka realizes that Brera is her brother. Brera tries his best to give chase, but he’s first held up by the Vajra and then by Grace in her Valkyrie. Grace questions if he had fun escaping with his little sister – which Brera is shocked to hear – before she decides that the magical times are over and activates his slave mode.

While this is going on, over at the hospital on the Frontier, Luca tries to convince Sheryl to take her medicine because it will delay the progression of her illness. Sheryl refuses and points out that no medicine means that her power will become stronger. She feels that if they are going to use her as a tool, then they should be thoroughly cruel to her because kindness is a sin. Alto isn’t part of this discussion, but he is also at the hospital and happens to see his father being pushed away in a wheelchair. Yasaburo is there as well, and as they watch Ranzou being helped into a car, Alto comments on how small his father seems. In response, Yasaburo notes that Alto’s changed if he sees it that way, and he once again requests that Alto return home. Alto claims that he can’t because he’s a pilot in the military, so Yasaburo questions if fighting and killing is really the path that Alto desires. Yasaburo wonders if Alto would have become a pilot regardless of whether or not there was an enemy, and he suggests that Alto is an actor at heart who acts whatever roles he wants. Before leaving, Yasaburo asks Alto to think about what he wants and why, and Alto ends up spending his afternoon thinking about Ranka. At that moment, she is being held on the Vajra planet and realizes that everything that happened to the 117th research fleet was her fault. From her Valkyrie, Grace is watching Ranka during all this and starts to get excited about what she calls the opening of the door to the abyss.

Back on the Frontier, Alto talks with Kuran about how far he’s come, and he asks her why she joined the S.M.S. Kuran tells him that it’s a tradition in her family to become a soldier, so there was no question that she’d do it. Alto explains that he felt the same way about acting, but he yearned for the sky and left home to become a pilot. That’s how he met Ranka, and in order to protect her, he chose to join the S.M.S. Alto concedes that he might have been running away up until now, pretending not to notice various things, but he feels that that’s over. Taking into account how everyone on the Frontier wants to continue living there, Alto declares that if Ranka is made a tool of the Vajra, then he’ll kill her. Hearing this causes Kuran to wonder if that is Alto’s love. Unbeknownst to either of them, Sheryl had been eavesdropping on their conversation, and after she sheds a tear over it, she quietly tells herself that even though she understood, she still wants a little longer. Her thoughts are interrupted by an announcement from the government about an impending Fold jump. Leon plans to head to the Vajra homeworld – which he refers to as their promised land – and he feels that this begins the holy war. Sheryl meanwhile tries to fly a paper airplane that she made, and although it soars up at first, it soon tumbles out of the sky.

Macross Frontier   23   Preview 01 Macross Frontier   23   Preview 02 Macross Frontier   23   Preview 03

Ouch, having that paper airplane fall out of the sky to end the episode is rather ominous. Add that to how much it probably hurts as well to overhear Alto say that everything he did was for Ranka and that he would kill Ranka if she were used as a tool of the Vajra (which Kuran thinks is his love) – things just can’t go right for her. The problem is that Sheryl really doesn’t have many good options or paths. At this point, she looks likely to die from the bacteria in her, so either she goes out as a hero (via her song rallying the people or saving the day or something), or there’s some miraculous cure found from the Vajra or Grace. Part of this also depends on if Alto loves her more or Ranka more, and despite what happened this episode, I think it’s still up in the air. Heck, Alto swings back and forth between the girls so much that I’m leaning more and more towards the idea that he won’t end up with either of them.

As for the other stuff in the episode, they didn’t talk about Protoculture this week like I thought they would, but a lot of the background was explained, including (kind of) what Grace is after. The whole Vajra hivemind thing reminded more of the zerg than bees, but that may just be me. What I found interesting was that Ranshe seemed to side with the Vajra by choice – compared to Grace who just wants to do whatever is beneficial for herself – so there are still some missing pieces in the past, including Ranshe’s motivations and where Dr. Mao Nome was during all that. On that note, I’m certainly expecting a few more big surprises in the final two episodes and am curious to seeing how this all concludes.

September 11, 2008 at 8:32 pm
  • September 14, 2008 at 12:53 pmmusouka

Ah, and just to make it clear, 片思い isn’t used in Yousei at all.

• September 14, 2008 at 1:02 pmadam_is_

musuoka- how about Ranka Lee’s Anata no Oto vs Sheryl Nome’s Yousei?

• September 14, 2008 at 1:21 pmmusouka

I’m not sure who “Anata no Oto” is for in the overall message of the series, which is why I didn’t compare the two. Here are some general thoughts:

“Anata no Oto” is a song about being united with someone. There are many ways this can play out.

1) It’s about Alto and Ranka, the answer of “Blue Ether”. Parting and togetherness. If you look at it a certain way, this song never got to reach Alto, so perhaps this time it does. However, the lyrics, to me don’t speak of making their way back to someone you’ve left–don’t quote the translation at me, that line is ambiguous and can be read as “I’ll never be parted from you”–so I’m not sure it quite works in the way Alto/Ranka fans would like. There’s always a chance, though.

2) It’s a song for the Vajra. Like Aimo, it’s a song that implies “so close that we’re one”, and the Vajra did have a reaction to it. This is the theory I tentatively favor, as Ranka’s current development has been more strongly tied to Vajra than the triangle.

3) It’s a song for Alto and Sheryl. Both times it was played in the background, Alto was focused on Sheryl, so reading it a certain way, like choice one, it’s actually “their” song. Before anyone protests Ranka singing a song for another couple, let’s keep in mind that Minmay’s “Ai, Oboeteimasuka” was actually Hikaru and Misa’s song. It also acts as an “answer” to Yousei in that Yousei is about “reaching towards someone” and “Anata no Oto” is about finally reaching someone. Still, that seems a bit too “shipper goggles” to me, so I kind of “hope but don’t expect”.

4) A choice I just came up with right now–it’s a simple song that will be played over the end credits as we get a silent flash to all the people on the show with their various happy endings. Perhaps the most likely choice of all. :p

• September 14, 2008 at 1:34 pmMiki

This series is seriously making me dizzy..
    At the beginning of the series, I used to HATE Sheryl. She just seemed kinda annoying and selfish. But as the series progresses, she changes, and becomes the hope for all people. She actually has a meaning for all her singing. Now she’s one of my favorite characters in the series! :] And Alto..is SO NOT FLEXIBLE. He vows to kill Ranka if her song gets in the way, and the whole reason he became a soldier was to protect her. That’s just messed up..

And I personally think that Ranka actually made a good decision. YES I WOULD PROUDLY SAY THAT SHE MADE A GOOD DECISION!! She wanted to find more about her past, and the only key to her past is the Vajra. The people shouldn’t depend on Ranka so much. (Peer pressure). I HATE it when people say how stupid she is. She has her own reasons. You guys just say she’s stupid because you don’t truly comprehend her reasonings. Everyone has a reason to do something.

But overall, I like the Sheryl X Alto couple still XDD

• September 14, 2008 at 2:14 pmLR

Yup, I agree that “Alto swings back and forth between the girls so much…” that I don’t really care much who he ends up with at this point.

• September 14, 2008 at 2:22 pmSherry

@HeavenlyDelirium

Nakamura Yuuichi: Alto’s VA from Animedia interview
    “I guarantee you that the conclusion of the love triangle will surprise everyone. Alto and I were mobbed in the recording studio!”

Very interesting!! ^^
    Thanks for the quote :)
    It actually gives me something to look forward to since, let’s be sincere, pretty much every single plots fans came up with are all far too boring, being too predictable…

It’s either Ranka dies, or Sheryl dies, or no one dies and 1-Alto likes Sheryl and send Ranka to Hell, or 2-he loves Ranka and it’s Sheryl who got thrown to the other side of the Galaxy or, since we are at it, it might as well be neither girls…etc…
    But if Alto was ‘mobbed’ by the conclusion, is there still something else, something really no one thought of that will come out? (Ranka and Sheryl fusion, and become one person, problem resolved :P or better, Alto declares his undying Love for his deceased mother and reveals no girl could ever surpass his mommy :D)

• September 14, 2008 at 5:12 pmllie

I enjoy the show. 2episodes left. Bringing on Kawamori *smile* Alto X Ranka finale!

• September 14, 2008 at 7:08 pmani_d

@adam_is
    If you ask me, Anata no Oto is either about

a) Ranka’s resolution song for Blue Ether’s sad conclusion.
    b) A song for everyone in love
    c) Ranka’s resolution song for Blue Ether’s sad conclusion AND a song for everyone (This is definitely it. It’s Ranka’s song.)

There is no way Anata no Oto will be Ranka’s love song for the Vajra -_- Can you just imagine Ranka seranading the Vajra queen with dokun dokun dokun? I mean, just look at the lyrics? This is Ranka’s song for a CERTAIN person. It’s a resolution song of two people in love overcoming the odds.

“The sound of love
    I can hear it waking me up
    With this hand of mind
    I wish to touch you behind your solitude
    In anticipation for the new day
    we firmly closed our eyes together

And if this is just a song about Sheryl and Alto, I’m pretty sure Yoko Kanno would’ve just written a happier Sheryl song instead of making it a Ranka song. That will be so irrelevant. Yousei is about Sheryl, yet Anata no Oto is also about Sheryl? lol Anyway, I also think the songs will tell you a lot of what kind of conclusion Sheryl and Ranka will get. I’m still hoping for a happy resolution for everyone after a suspenseful climax. It’ll be cool if everyone gets to live under a real sky. ^_^

• September 14, 2008 at 7:12 pmAJackBoy

I find it funny that many people are comparing the triangle here with the original Macross and DYRL triangle. IA that many of the same elements are there, two women one guy, singers, pilot, one older, one younger, etc. However can I just say that neither one of these women is as awesome as Minmay!!

That said, I find myself more on the shipping side of Alto/Ranka than Alto/Sheryl, which I can see from other people’s comments here is an unpopular opinion. I have been waiting, these last two episodes to really see Alto’s love for Sheryl, and instead what I’ve seen is a guy trying to deal with the news that his friend is going to die and that there’s nothing he can do except promise to support her by promising to stay with her and be by her side so that she’s not alone, because remember she would be alone since she doesn’t have anyone else onboard MF who is close to her. (WOW that was a LONG sentence!)

I found with 23 that two things about A/S stood out, one when Sheryl gets mad at Luca, she says something along the lines of “symapthy would cause me to take advantage,” and then when she hears Alto’s admission re: his feelings for Ranka, she says something like, “that’s what I thought, but just for a little while more.” IMO both of these statements reveal that Sheryl is insecure about where she stands with Alto. That’s why she hasn’t had the courage to come out and tell him how she feels. And that for me, signals that Alto is staying with her because he naturally feels bad because she’s dying.

Regardless, I would like this series to end with the triangle resolved one way or another.

What is more interesting to me, which not many people are discussing because of this triangle is the role of NUNS/Briler (sp) and Alto, et al. They are obviously on the wrong side of this conflict. I can’t believe that Alto would take Leon’s word for the Vajira using Ranka especially knowing why the Macross Quarter left!! That makes him look more like an idiot than anything related to the triangle. I can’t wait until he realizes that he is being played.

I also cannot wait for the Macross Quarter people to get more face time. I want them to kick some NUNS ass!! The best part of the previous episode was the commandeering of the ship and the battle between Ozuma and Alto-tachi! I want more of that kind of action!!

• September 14, 2008 at 7:35 pmdiva

@ani_d
    “Can you just imagine Ranka seranading the Vajra queen with dokun dokun dokun? I mean, just look at the lyrics?”

I can.

Ranka to Vajra: “I want to tell this. This is my message. From me, to you….The sound of your heart DOKUN DOKUN DOKUN It’s the sound of LIFE, the sound of KINDNESS, So it’s the sound of PAIN the sound I can hear *instrumental as all the Vajra shut up and listen to Ranka* I don’t care what WE wish for! I don’t have to dress up in a coat of SUSPICION anymore! I don’t mind being burdened from time to time! I shall never leave you behind againnnn”

AHAHAHAH XD

@sherry
    “But if Alto was ‘mobbed’ by the conclusion, is there still something else, something really no one thought of that will come out?”

I know one. Alto choosing Ranka over Sheryl but declaring that he’s going to kill Ranka and will stay with Sheryl. I’ve never thought of that. :D

• September 14, 2008 at 8:20 pmEf202

If only the inside of our intestines look as pretty as Ranka’s *g* Grace and Galaxy are weirdos. I still don’t get their goal. Ranka will prolly fix the conflict between Frontier and Vajra and live in Vajra star happily. Go Ranka go Ai-kun go Alto go! Brera I love youuuuuU!!

• September 14, 2008 at 10:33 pmKaori

ani_d seriously stfu. You are the sole reason the AxS shippers looks bad. I’d vomit if you told me you had a relationship irl, because your way of thinking is revolting and so delusional it’s creepy. You seriously think Ranka has it harder than Sheryl? Because Alto said he will shoot that hack? It’s about time a character told Ranka she was “wrong”. Because up until this point NO character has ever told Ranka she was wrong, when she made selfish discussions.

Also watch the subs, Alto NEVER said “I love Ranka” at all. So seriously go /wrist already you make me sick!

• September 14, 2008 at 11:41 pmcheese

Did you know that not only Sheryl and Ranka has their own character arcs, but… Alto has one too, and quite possibly one of the strongest? Good luck figuring him out just as Michael and Yasaburo had done early on, for the people who misunderstand him the most are none other than the shippers themselves, who likes to mold Alto to a generic harem lead with superficial dreams, for some odd reason I can’t comprehend. Many people seem to think Alto is an idiot as much as the series is, but you’ll see why this is utterly far from the case in the next two episodes.

• September 15, 2008 at 12:36 amyuKime

@kagami
    “I do want Ranka to be happy, but let’s take a little look to the anime first : “What is Ranka’s happiness?” This one needs to be cleared up first. ani_d, druid, diva, and yuKime, as Ranka’s fans, what do you think of it firstly?”

My reply to this is simple. People don’t have only one means of happiness. Many things can become the source of happiness for ONE person. Ranka’s happiness isn’t just about herself nor is it only about seeing others happy. If Ranka sees everyone happy, she WILL BE happy. If Ranka gets Alto, she WILL BE happy. So if only one of these happens, Ranka will be happy. If BOTH happens, Ranka will STILL be happy. Hopefully, she gets both to make up for that painful goodbye she had with Alto.

For me, the love triangle is pretty much resolved already. Sheryl has backed down already, accepting Alto’s choice, seeing her choice of words and the symbolism of her fallen paper plane. Only thing needed is the confession from both Alto and Ranka and of course, the let’s-be-at-peace-with-alien-lifeforms resolution AND the part where Anata no Oto gets played. I wouldn’t prefer Anata no Oto to be used for Vajra-calming, seeing as Aimo pretty much has more meaning for the Vajra, instead of another song. Anata no Oto pretty much fits for Alto and Ranka’s reunion rather than vajra-calming. But some lyrics do seem to fit for Vajra, when I read diva’s post. XD But I hope it’s used for AxR ending.

• September 15, 2008 at 1:34 amVF-25 Messiah

Hooo boy…

You people really need to calm down. It’s one thing to be emotionally involved with your side of the shipping, but telling someone to go “/wrist” (I can only assume it means ‘THAT’) because you don’t like their opinion, is going way too far. Seriously, it’s getting downright disturbing. Go cool your heads off.

• September 15, 2008 at 2:16 amSherry

@cheese
    I also started having ridiculously high expectations for Alto after seeing him so serious and determined in the preview ^^
    Let’s hope we won’t be disappointed (I don’t think we will, since he either starts showing his true self, behind his acting mask NOW or never, this is the end of the anime already already…)

• September 15, 2008 at 2:35 amKendra

@sherry
    (Alto’s preview shot is stunning!)

I have a problem with him. If he loves Ranka so much to the point that he’d rather see her die than be a tool of destruction, then why can’t he just keep her away from the Vajra?? Make up a plan to retrieve her, whisper sweet nothings to her ear and bribe her so that she’ll see things his way, and then exterminate every living Vajra alive. That way he gets to keep her to himself and she can feed Alto’s ego more by fawning on him. X) Ok that’s crazy. But I think I just melted at the fact that Alto would kill Ranka than have her become a tool. He loves her that much. I wish I have a hot guy like that wanting to kill me because he loves me XP hee

• September 15, 2008 at 2:42 amnezumibento

*is making popcorn over the heat of shipping flames*

• September 15, 2008 at 3:02 amcheese

Sherry: Alto is consistent. Fans would snark and bite at him for being so indecisive and generic, but you’ll find that even though Alto’s character arc may be more diverse and widespread than the girls, it is actually one of the strongest. It goes so much more than “Alto’s dream is to fly”. It is so much more than “Oh Alto loves Ranka but he’ll kill her” and “Oh Alto stayed with Sheryl out of pity” because that is just barely grazing the surface and leaving the waves of depth underneath untouched. It’ll be awesome if some people would stop simplifying all of Alto’s actions down to *shipping* because that is grossly misunderstanding his character arc, as understandable as it can be to see people jumping on the Harem Lead bandwagon. Alto is more aware of things than we think. All the little clues that traced as far back as Episode 4, why Michael and Yasaburo are the only ones to see through Alto, Episode 23 has pretty much solved them. Again, it’s so ironic that the people who misunderstand him the most comes from the shipping fandom.

• September 15, 2008 at 4:27 amSherry

@cheese

I would lie if I said I didn’t care about who will end up together in the end, seeing how it became such a big deal -__-, but on the other side, all along, I’ve always been waiting for ‘something’ on Alto’s side.
    As I’ve already said before, Yasaburo’s words impacted me a lot and, looking back at all his actions till now, it was really like he said : Alto acted out at the perfection the roles each person wanted him to, in each situation; that was his very own way of running away from too many things piling on him nonstop and washing his hands off any responsibility, turning a blind eye on what was surrounding him.
    It’s incredible how this one sentence from Yasaburo described so well Alto’s character.
    But he finally stopped hiding in acting.
    And I am very excited thinking that after so long, Alto’s real face will finally be revealed to us, in all its glory which, as you said, in certainly not all about fawning over any of the 2 girls.
    I strongly think Alto’s beliefs and convictions are far above pity love intercourse, as noble as a samurai: he won’t go back on his words and will definitely fight to the end.

• September 15, 2008 at 4:39 amKagami

@yuKime

Oh, yes I do know that, if Ranka gets Alto, she will be happy of course. Maybe I really should say this one more time : I want BOTH girls to be happy. What I want you to consider before answering the question is to think that not everyone is able to get everything they want, but they are still happy. Happiness is not only limited to one thing, but by any means, they don’t have to have all of that to be happy, and maybe, they can be fulfilled with their one and only “TRUE” wish becomes true. If Ranka gets Alto, she is happy of course, but then Sheryl would be left with… What? We even see her true happiness only lies in one thing now : someone who she loves.

But then again, it’s still too early to speculate how will Kawamori end this, will he hammer Sheryl to death with nothing (and even if she lives, her story would be the most tragic as she don’t get her happiness in the series) or will he give the equilibrium end, where one gets their each own ultimate wishes fulfilled? It is very hard to see the end before episode 24 comes out now… I even still count Altoxno one for now…

“For me, the love triangle is pretty much resolved already. Sheryl has backed down already, accepting Alto’s choice, seeing her choice of words and the symbolism of her fallen paper plane.”

Hmmm… Ranka has already let go of her love in Episode 21 too (loved), so if we take everything into account, both girls have already given up on Alto if you ask me. Alto’s choice? Triangle will end when Alto give concrete evidence rather than just saying “protect”, you know? And take into account, WHEN did he join SMS. Alto’s choice to kill Ranka speaks rather loud that his love is no larger than his duty NOW. No, I don’t buy kill=love logic from Kawamori. I don’t buy that he loves him that he will kill her logic.

But in any case, if you were hoping from straight confession, do you forget that this is MACROSS? Those who have seen original, surely would know that anything in Macross’ Drama (Hence referred as DRAMACROSS) is not going to have thing set straight without any twisting until the end ^^; We still have two episodes, and my Kawamori’s instinct still tells me that there is going to be MORE AND MORE TWIST ’till the end… It is, after all, Shoji Kawamori that we are talking about. Who says he is not going to milk the triangle shippers until they are dry of emotion ^^; Basically, Kawamori is an evil GENIUS, and my experience says not to trust him ’till the end if you don’t want to be disappointed. Never expect things will go into your way…

Oh and please, what better thing to create surprise drama when the symbiolism CONTRADICT the future happening. I have watched too much drama that I know these things sometimes does not going as what it should be and end up surprising our subconsciousness lol.

Hope everyone is ready for emotional torture for the two next episodes from our legendary troll, Shoji Kawamori :P

@VF-25 Messiah
    Wow, you were watching from the sidelines! How was the pairing wars? And my prediction about this becomes quite true, righto? (With a little bit of push of course… heh :P )

@cheese
    That’s what happen when people get too deep into shipping and just see Alto’s unresponsiveness to the triangle as his character is dense and insensitive. If everyone only connect triangle as their judgement for his character, surely they would have only have “dense”, “wishy-washy” and something along those lines. This does not only include shippers, but ALL who have been judging Alto from the triangle, of course. (But then again, I still don’t want to say anything about him being impulsive for now. Yasaburo’s words disturb me too much…)

Btw, love your take on Alto ^^

• September 15, 2008 at 6:46 amcheese

Kagami: “If everyone only connect triangle as their judgement for his character, surely they would have only have “dense”, “wishy-washy” and something along those lines.”

Chances are, if some can’t (or won’t) read what Sheryl’s character arc is about, no matter how much focus it’s been given now, I wish them good luck figuring out what Alto’s is about, for there is an extremely good reason why Ranka is the pivotal point of his character story (she has to be for it to work, there’s no other way), why he didn’t look surprised at Ranka’s resigned confession, and why he didn’t chase after her. Trust me. The clues can be found from Episode 4 onwards and finishes at Episode 23. (Cryptic enough, cheese? XD) Alto is not as dense or idiotic as people make him out to be (especially for shipping needs.)

• September 15, 2008 at 7:38 amKagami

@cheese ( Oh, I know you are Crisis from AS. Luv all your posts including those in CG (Hehe… Mr Dann gloatings come to an end now…) and others :D )

Hmm… I do have some ideas of what you are talking about, but for some reason I can’t pinpoint at what it truly is. As far as I can take, he only appears to be dense in other characters judgement (Mikhail’s words rang in my heads), but this episode reeks of full misunderstanding about his character… Specifically from Yasaburo…

I request tl;dr. :D Alto’s character are in dire need to be freed from misunderstanding now that the series is gonna end ^^; And I’m sure as hell I’m not the right person to do that. AS members, please do the task (Specifically asking from MaiHikari, Swampstorm, stray, you cheese (hey, you are the motivator! 8) ) and any other who want to do some takes on his character). Anyone is very welcome though to give some insight on his character.

But unfortunately, we decide too fast on his character’s surface, without thinking for the 2nd time when something new about his character was given. I think it’s mostly because Sheryl and Ranka are more interesting character in most of our eyes. Look at it, Ranka got a lot of explaining for her character and Sheryl got a lot more explanation from their respective fans. But Alto? Complain, complain, complain… Only some or a little justified analysis about him^^;

• September 15, 2008 at 10:58 amWestlo

Well I read the irc log of Swamp and Musouka dissecting Alto and is interesting stuff.

• September 15, 2008 at 12:32 pmKagami

@Westlo
    IRCxme = worst relationship in RL :P

• September 15, 2008 at 2:15 pmcheese

Kagami : “Oh, I know you are Crisis from AS. Luv all your posts including those in CG (Hehe… Mr Dann gloatings come to an end now…) and others :D )”

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised, with the way everyone is flaunting my name around. XD
    Which name are u under?

“Hmm… I do have some ideas of what you are talking about, but for some reason I can’t pinpoint at what it truly is.”

And with good reason too, considering how the series have left you on your own too much to follow the thin trail of clues leading up to his story. As a shipmate puts it, they’re being bastards, that’s all. :D

I request tl;dr

Well, hopefully it’ll be soon. *pokes a certain someone* ;)

• September 15, 2008 at 3:20 pmmusouka

I’ve been poked and prodded to provide tl;dr, so let’s discuss Alto, shall we? Sorry if these thoughts are a little disjointed–I welcome discussion and additions!

Also has been very carefully set up through the entire show, in a way that perhaps makes him a difficult-to-understand lead, but an excellent protagonist in a love triangle. For a long time, I couldn’t understand what Alto’s character arc was. He seemed so defined by the triangle that it was almost second nature to view his character through that lense.

But as I was wondering one day, a few days before the airing up ep 23, exactly what Alto would do when he was torn between staying or saving Ranka, it fell on me like a load of bricks. He would choose his home, the Frontier. One of the main facets of his arc is his hatred of his home, feeling like it restricts his freedom. He had to learn to value it–to want to protect it.

Swampy went further and pointed out that Alto’s character arc is also strongly tied between two extremes. His father and the life of an actor, which he wants to escape, and his job as a pilot in SMS. His job in SMS is directly a result of his interaction with Ranka. Ranka provided Alto with the perfect outlet for his frustrations.

Take the Miss Macross pagent for example. It is the scene with his father that ends up sending him racing away to sorty. Flight is symbolic of Alto running away from home. Ranka? His excuse/reason for doing so.

The key word in the Ranka+Alto relationship is “protect”. Go back and watch a few of the Ranka+Alto interactions in earlier episodes. Here’s a good one, the scene where Ranka is tying up Alto’s hair. Not only does he associate gentle hands in his hair with warm memories, but the thing that gets him to react to Ranka in that scene is her thanking him for protecting her. In short, Alto gravitates towards Ranka because being with her makes him feel good, like he’s acomplishing something, like she needs him. Nowhere is this more evident when they are alone together in the jungle of Galia 4, away from everyone else and anyone they could fall back on.

I think Alto “wants” to choose Ranka at this point in time, to cement his role as “pilot” and “protector”. Notice I used the word “role”? That’s exactly what it is. Both Michel and Yasaburo keep hitting Alto over the head with “you’re not like me [aka, a pilot]” and “you are an actor!” respectively. And they’re both right, because Alto is using the idea of running away as “freedom”.

Sheryl also plays a part as “Sheryl Nome”, and look at how enraged Alto gets at the hint in episode nineteen that she might be “lying to herself” because of it. It was the same back when she joined his piloting class for reasons he found less than pure–and Michel calls him on that too.

That’s why his decision in episode 23 is about so much more than Ranka. It’s about admitting to himself that he used her as an excuse to run away from his past, from his home. It’s about him learning to see the true value of the place he lives in and the people who struggle to live there. That’s what it means to be a grown up–no longer doing the things that might make you “feel good”, and instead doing things that will make other people feel good. So, like the scene where Ranka realizes there are more important things than her love for Alto, so does Alto realize that he has things he wants to protect more than Ranka.

How Alto felt about Ranka is one piece to his puzzle. I imagine the other piece–what Sheryl meant to him over the course of the series, will be unlocked next episode–and we’ll see all his interactions with her in a new light. Than, the last episode will be Alto’s final choice.

• September 15, 2008 at 3:55 pmZa Third

@Kaori
    Well nobody told Ranka she was wrong because at the end she was never wrong, the only moment she really needed something standing against her mindset was back then when she went emo and wasn’t going to sing in the middle of the attack, and Sheryl pretty much stood against it and straight her up. After that, and all the death and destruction, Ranka choose her own path, to try to find a way to understand her past and make with peace with the Vajra, one can’t call that selfish when she did it on her own, as much with a pilot that would go willingly with her, she was going to ask Alto but Brera answered the Call and even though Ranka wanted to go with Alto she didn’t want to force it to him if he didn’t want to. At the end Ranka put her life into the line with her own path, he didn’t try to enforce it to all the people in Frontier, something that may had being a real selfish act.

Nobody can’t call Ranka selfish at this point, lacking of confidence? not being some “Awesome” character? yeah, but selfish? No.

I think you’re really following the stupid haters and the people new to macross mindset, that don’t realize that, “Leon’s way” isn’t the “Good Way” of Macross. Alto “killing” Ranka isn’t about her being wrong, but him not wanting her to be used to harm others and those others to be harmed. Yet, is really true what Leon said?

Let’s think about it, Leon’s data about the Vajra comes from Grace, who obviously wouldn’t explain her real plans to him, because, how would the Vajra actually develop a plan to destroy a rival race as complex as creating a simbiotic being like Ranka? This is obviously a Man Made thing, Ranka is a product of Ranshei’s and Grace’s plans (which each one had one of her own). The Vajra, as it was explained, are hiveminded, and act more like a developed group of animals than somekind of human like intelligent race, they are like Ants, Bees, etc. You can’t expect them to go “Just as Planned” and use highly complex conspiracies. Humans on the other hand, yep, we do that a lot.

The only real danger the Vajra represent, is the direct one, the same one an animal that see us as a threat would be.

At the end, what SMS and Frontier would need to do is to deal with the real enemies, Grace and Leon, the Vajra, are just tools for them, and it’s more useful to take care of the one using the tools, that just destroying the tools and forget about the one using them.

Grace is planning something big using the Vajra Network, maybe become some type of Galactic Big Brother like figure or do some “Imma becoming yur new God” shit. Leon is manipulating all the conflict and his data from Grace to keep his power, and probably become some overglorified dictator for Frontier. He really doesn’t seem to care any little about the people as long as he achieves what he wants.

Yet, without the Vajra being hostile, both plans would crumble = GOOD END, with the destruction of the Vajra, Grace may lose, but Leon wins….and let’s face it, that’s a BAD END.

• September 15, 2008 at 6:16 pmleo

Someone has realized Alto is performing in front of Klan???
    The camera even show him looking lightly her reaction for just a second

• September 15, 2008 at 6:17 pmleo

And even more, his acting was not for sheryl to hear

• September 15, 2008 at 9:45 pmKagami

@cheese

@musouka

cheese huh? Can see her “insistence” will make everyone gave up and do what she wants :P
    Fangirls, by far, is more annoying (But still lovable) than fanboys 8). No offense to fangirls of course, since I know that I am a hardcore fangirl in the closet^^

By far, it is the hardest to grasp understanding of Alto, but what you have pointed out actually gave me almost the same idea that I was trying to figure out! But why is he taking the “protector” role? I really don’t think because he only “feels good” about it… Taking Alto’s childhood experience, especially his mother, I think it is safe to say that it impacts him quite a lot, affecting his emotion and wanting to protect someone he thought in need of protection i.e. Ranka, since he somehow sees her in the weaker sense… I should say that this, too, apply to Sheryl at some degree after knowing her sickness.

Sorry for the messed up post, I’m in quite a hurry now…

• September 15, 2008 at 11:16 pmcheese

Alto has immersed himself so much into the role that he willed himself to believe in the reality he constructed himself, he didn’t want to face the fact that he’s running away, period. Ranka presented the opportunity, especially in Galia 4, where she plays the role of the Rescued Damsel, so perfectly that Alto has fulfilled his role of the protector a bit too well, and this can be seen, indeed, in Galia 4. As long as he can play the part of protecting Ranka, then his eyes would never look back to his Kabuki roots which he ran away from.

Episode 23 solved the puzzle, in that Alto was able to acknowledge what he did, and as a result, chose Frontier in the end. Too many times, Yasaburo and Michael’s comments unsettled and shook Alto, because they hit just a little too close to home with their wake-up calls and threatened to tear his mask off. Alto has played his role so efficiently there are times when he essentially became the character he was playing. This man is an actor, it is in his blood. But now, he has stopped running away and decided to stay. It’s time the fandom give him the credit he deserved.

• September 15, 2008 at 11:20 pmcheese

Ah, I missed this.

Kagami: “No, not yet, haven’t joined AS yet :P Still need to sort something out in my work^^ If a comment in your visitor’s message indicate yaoi or such… You’ll know 8)”

Wonderful, I can’t wait! ;)

“So, cheese, H.M.S Skull Fairy is preparing a counter-attack once next episode airs? I can see the battle between shippers rage just like the mech pronz in the next episode… Where did I put my uncooked popcorn, now?””

Oh, who knows… *whistles* ;)

• September 15, 2008 at 11:25 pmchristina surman

This is my most favorite episode yet! He finally chose Ranka. I’m afraid Alto might choose to die with her later on. I want noone to die anymore. shery it looks like she will break up with Alto. >.< I hope. I want BreraxSheryl!

• September 15, 2008 at 11:51 pmJan

No way in hell will Alto kill Ranka Capulet. Princess Romeo will back down and cry. I’ll laugh my ass off if we get a gloomy ending. The Newtype official arts looks high school musical happy. Alto= Hikaru. Ranka= Minmei. Sheryl= Basara! lmfao Hot hot hot!

• September 16, 2008 at 12:19 amnezumibento

@cheese & musouka

I have to hand it to cheese and musouka for the interesting insights on Alto’s character. I’m no shipper, but I have to admit that I’ve been viewing Alto a bit too much from the context of the triangle.

I’ll have to revisit some episodes, but I agree with the fact that he had been using situations and people as a crutch in order to run away from his past. He’s still not someone I’d call a favorite, and I generally am annoyed by his passive-aggressive stance, but in retrospect the subtle development of his character has become quite interesting.

• September 16, 2008 at 1:11 amWestlo

“cheese huh? Can see her “insistence” will make everyone gave up and do what she wants”

Cheesie hime is harsh mistress indeed :(

• September 16, 2008 at 6:53 amKagami

@cheese
    cheese, don’t be lazy! tl;dr (I will still read it of course ;) ) needed! Or if you are saving up for the next episode… Fine, I won’t bug you now. And I know you are a sadist at heart! You will take your joy in crushing the enemy’s fleet if the next episode gave us the last insight needed for Alto’s character (Refer : musouka’s post) as it will increase H.M.S Skull Fairy ammos into near unlimited if what we are predicting (High chance it would happen in next episode, or the revelation might be delayed until last episode) is true^^

@Nezumibento
    Yes, cheese and Musouka’s insight is quite plausible, especially if you have re-watched Episode 4 and pay attention to Alto’s special concern about Ranka’s well-being and try to observe his conversation… I would not say that Musouka’s and cheese (and aneeshadc one in AS) take is true yet, but they are the most plausible explanation if you connect all his behaviour during the series. Yasaburo’s conversation is just the last nail needed to confirm Alto’s character.

If we are trying the romantical approach to Alto’s confession on the roof, it is quite hard, really. I even try my best to answer the question using that kind of approach… But really, just… No. I can’t see Alto would have that twisted personality so sudden :S And the logic is only plausible in the eyes of shippers for some genuine reason…

“From my perspective I think the triangle is an allusion to his own struggle with himself, and because of all the focus on the two girls, you only realize late that a whole lot of Macross Frontier is about Alto’s struggle to find a resolution to the division inside him, and coming to a true understanding of who he is and what he has to do to truly move forward with his life.”

After reading this, I can’t help but feel we have biased view about SDF-M Hikaru… Even if it’s only a little. Now that I remember it, don’t people judge him through the triangle too? :S Dear Kawamori Shouji, I admit : You are the best schemer and Troller in the world.

@Westlo

“Cheesie hime is harsh mistress indeed :( ”

But you still love her~ :P

• September 16, 2008 at 11:33 ammusouka

@ Kagami

Well, the past few episodes sacrificed Hikaru’s character to the love triangle, which is really unfortunate. Before, the the triangle was a parallel to his growth as a person. It wasn’t so much him refusing to choose a girl as it was Minmay was a symbol of his youth, and Misa was a symbol of his maturity. I guess in that respect the last ten or so eps are his mid-life crisis. :p

• September 16, 2008 at 4:42 pmyuKime

@Kagami

Sheryl won’t be hammered to death by Kawamori. I still believe that she will live on, but her NOT getting Alto isn’t going to pull her character to one that is tragic. It’s the same if Ranka doesn’t win, she’ll just have to learn to be happy for the one she loves and move on with her songs. Sheryl isn’t a weak character that will crumble if she doesn’t get Alto. Throughout the series, she was one who was employed as a character that is strong AND learns how to cope with losses/struggles with flying colors (See ep. 20 for instance). So even if she doesn’t get Alto, she will definitely have her good ending too… but the Minmei ending though which means she becomes even stronger AND continues to reach people with her songs. She was a songstress (a top-notch too) to begin with, after all. Alto x no one is not happening imho.

Ranka saying “I loved you.” doesn’t mean she let go COMPLETELY. Even if two people with that strong a bond (such as Alto and Ranka) do separate, feelings still linger. You won’t be able to forget all that feeling (especially Ranka who loved deeply) all in a day. Sheryl’s giving up though seems more of a resignation and acceptance, knowing how Alto feels for Ranka (or thinking she DOES know how Alto feels). The choice Alto did say about killing Ranka is one that speaks of his maturity. He is willing to sacrifice his love for her to ensure that Ranka won’t be used for evil (because he KNOWS Ranka didn’t want that either- that’s the reason Ranka refused to sing once, remember?) AND to protect everyone in Frontier. Kill-Love logic is not impossible to happen, especially since Alto says he’s not going to run away anymore and let circumstances take hold of him. Whether he would be able to pull it off or not though is a different question to be answered later. What we know for now is Alto held strong emotions for Ranka ever since episode 3, he just didn’t show it openly, but the intensity in his actions when Ranka’s in danger speaks enough.

The only one who was twisted till the very end (concerning LT) was actually the original Macross. But I wouldn’t expect Kawamori to pull every trick he did in the original Macross to be seen in Macross Frontier, he’s got to paint some originality into Frontier too. Sure he can pay homage to Macross (orig) but taking every scene (or the scene pattern) and putting it in Macross F, that’s a bit too much. I still believe the LT favoring Ranka wouldn’t be changing that much anymore.

But that symbolism can be a foreshadowing which will not be called a foreshadowing IF it will contradict it’s meaning. Sometimes, symbolism just have to be taken as it is. Maybe the one in 23 is supposed to be like that? If not, well, we’ll find out on Thursday.

• September 16, 2008 at 7:28 pmCyan

^ Ditto.

• September 16, 2008 at 8:12 pmflowerpotonurhead

Like Alto, Sheryl also knows how to fold paper airplane and it didn’t fly as good. :( I feel bad something fierce for her. I wish they’ll do a second season and it’ll be about Sheryl this time. I’ll go crazy rooting for her especially if they introduce a new bishounen and this time will treat her right. I don’t want Alto for her since AltoxRanka is imminent now and all Alto ever saw was Ranka from the very start. Ranka is the same way too. It’s over. Not gonna lie to myself.

But but I feel really bad for Sheryl and I like her so much. Second season => Sheryl’s season! Kawamori, ne??

• September 16, 2008 at 8:50 pmaneeshadc

@ yukime
    Hello again^_^.

You know the Kill=Love logic might sound noble & all but honestly, it would be kind of hypocritical & cowardly of alto to just assume that ranka wants to die. She said she didnt want to be a tool but she once also said that she was afraid of dying & that she wanted to be heard. Which words should have borne more weight for alto, if he truly loved her?

Also I wanna know what you think abt Musuoka & cheesie’s posts, plz? It just makes a lot of sense to me & I was wondering hw you would see it since you’re from the opposing side & all that^_^

• September 16, 2008 at 11:57 pmani_d

Hmm…with Sheryl’s tears. Klan’s “omae no ai”. Alto’s flashbacks. And Alto’s actions throughout the series. I can’t really see the confession on the roof as anything but a simple revelation of Alto’s feelings for Ranka, which is love.

Between being a Pilot and his will to protect Ranka, which one is real? I certainly don’t think Alto’s will to protect Ranka was fake. At all. If anything, his desire to become a pilot might be the one in question here. Yes, he loves the sky—the freedom it represents. Yes, he’s a momma’s boy. Yes, he doesn’t want to be a kabuki princess. But like Yasaburo has said, “would he really become a pilot if there is an enemy or not?”

During their convo, Klan and Alto were shown to have a common denominator. Klan being a pilot because of tradition, but in reality, she wanted to be in SMS all because of Michael—thus her flashbacks. Alto said that because of his love for the sky he wanted to be a pilot instead of an actor. However, when he met Ranka, he decided to join SMS to protect her forever. While Klan was in SMS for Michael. Alto was in SMS FOR Ranka.

When Galia was destroyed, more than the sky, what were the things that flooded his thoughts? Memories of him and Ranka having the time of their life in that planet. I can’t really see how Ranka is only an excuse for Alto to run away from Kabuki. His feelings for her are real. You can question his desire to be the hero of Frontier. You can question his desire to be the best pilot there is. You can question his desire to go back to Kabuki. But one thing is for sure, his feelings for Ranka were shown/portrayed to be genuine.

Alto admitted that he was running away which coincided with Ozma’s words to him last episode, Yasaburo, and Michael’s. He may be running away from a lot of things, from his own feelings for Ranka and from his past. But when Alto said that he would kill Ranka if she was just going to be used as a tool to destroy them, and Klan calling it as his love, and you have Sheryl saying “she knew it all along” that scenario pretty much tells you that Alto has revealed who’s the girl he really fancied. In a very surprising way so to speak.

Lastly this,

” In short, Alto gravitates towards Ranka because being with her makes him feel good, like he’s acomplishing something, like she needs him.”

I believe OD from AS presented this theory on Alto as well a long time ago, and I do agree with this. But it becomes a bit off tangent if we say that Alto’s just using Ranka as an excuse to run away. Just because it makes him feel better about himself doesn’t mean his feelings are just an illusion. I don’t think the story portrayed Alto that way. Just look at the way Alto reacted to Ranka after she met him in ep 1. From the get go, Alto always had an eye for Ranka.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to another Alto/Brera clashing next episode. :) Looks like Brera’s back in action again. This may be where Alto finds out Brera’s true identity. Hopefully, he realizes he’s being played by Leon into making him want to kill Ranka.

• September 17, 2008 at 12:53 amyuKime

@aneeshadc
    Hey! ^-^

No, Alto doesn’t assume that Ranka would want to die BUT he is thinking that Ranka would be better off dead that be remembered as someone who was used to hurt many people in Frontier. Alto doesn’t want Ranka to be used like that and if it means killing her, then he’d do it. Not happily that’s for sure, but it’s something he had decided as his OWN means of protecting her. The words Ranka said about wanting to be heard was at the beginning of the show, she had accomplished that already and even didn’t want that anymore, realizing that the one she wanted to sing for the most was Alto. Sure Ranka is afraid of dying (who isn’t?) but Alto will do what it takes to protect her, even end her life. Thus the emotional face Klan made after hearing Alto’s painful decision.

Cheese’s take on Alto was interesting and I agree with it. I guess it wasn’t that noticeable at first because the two (Ranka and Sheryl) seemed to overpower his character. But the way he had admitted himself as running away from everything and both Ozma’s and Yasaburo’s words in 22 and 23 seemed to impact him a lot, making him stop. The reason why a lot of people misjudge Alto is because we never get a chance to look at his thoughts or hear his thoughts. It’s always just him thinking, “I…” and “I am…” His thoughts were kept mysterious from the audience until 23 to make us speculate AND to make the impact of him finally DECIDING on something ON HIS OWN stronger.

Musouka’s point though, I disagree on him saying that Alto is using Ranka as a crutch or his reason for running away. I mean, seriously, why would Alto take Ranka as his crutch when Ranka is the one relying on Alto all the more? And Michael already accused Alto of running away even before he got close to Ranka. Alto is protecting Ranka because he WANTS to and his reason to protect her is definitely not because he wants to run away but genuine concern for her (at the very least). The true reason Alto wanted to protect Ranka is still unknown (but I’m thinking it involves love) BUT he definitely didn’t choose Ranka in 23 just to cement his role as a pilot/protector. Alto stated that he wasn’t going to run away anymore because he was going to go all out and do what he thinks IS right, not what someone thinks is right or not what someone expects him to do. He decided to choose to kill Ranka because that is his own way of protecting her IF she would threaten humankind. It’s not him admitting that he used Ranka but it’s him admitting that he cares for Ranka BUT is willing to sacrifice everything (his love, his happiness and Ranka’s life) to do something that will be beneficial for everyone’s sake.

• September 17, 2008 at 1:55 amyuKime

My take on it even is that Ranka is the reason Alto has decided on that made him think he has a goal in life to achieve. A person to protect so he had to do things. Remember the first time Alto talked in the hospital to Ozma (ep 3) and he told him to tell him about the Vajra. Ozma feels that Alto is just getting caught up by the moment, an impulse decision that’s why he gave him 24 hours to think about it. Michel thought the same, thus confronting him at the elevator, saying with the way he was flying right now, he’d be a failure as a pilot fighter (will get killed or will kiss someone). Alto denies this but doesn’t find any answer though for wanting to fight. Then he hears Ranka’s song and his look changed into that of resolution. He defnitely found his reason in Ranka. Not a reason to run away but a reason and the meaning why he wished to fight. That is to protect her.

Alto refuses to do anything that concerns acting as much as possible because he didn’t want to be reminded of his past as a Kabuki actor. Thinking that as long as he did his job as a pilot and followed orders, he would be all right. But then, in ep 21, Alto is put in a situation where was torn between protecting Ranka and his duty as a pilot. He began running away again and chose to do what was asked of him, pretending not to notice Ranka’s pain. In episode 22, he realizes how correct Ozma’s words were when he told Alto that he was just acting based on what the circumstances thrown at him, being swept by emotion. In ep 23, he realizes that he should stop running away and finally decide what he would do, not just wait on circumstances or wait for someone to decide for him. Hearing that there is a possibility that Ranka was going to be used as a tool of the vajra, Alto knew he had to protect her and everyone else. He wouldn’t let emotions tie him down nor anything else. His decision in here shows he has grown and was willing to sacrifice everything just to do what he had to. Painful as it may be, he knows it is the right thing and Ranka would understand him.

The line Klan asked, “Is that your love?” just perfectly words Alto’s decision. It was how he decided he would protect Ranka and at the same time protect the many lives of those in Frontier. Alto’s love is one that includes pain and sacrifice but nonetheless, it is still definitely love. A selfless love that wants to protect Ranka and everyone at the expense of hurt and pain of his own.

• September 17, 2008 at 2:02 amnezumibento

@yuKime
    “Musouka’s point though, I disagree on him saying that Alto is using Ranka as a crutch or his reason for running away. I mean, seriously, why would Alto take Ranka as his crutch when Ranka is the one relying on Alto all the more?”

I think Musouka’s view is not precisely that Alto consciously decided to use Ranka as a crutch – I think that it’s not intentional thing, but there are different kinds of dependencies not just being the one who obviously relies on someone.

Being needed can also be a kind of crutch for a relationship, where your view of yourself is valid only because you believe the other person needs you to be that way. It may not have started out like that, and I think he genuinely feels something for Ranka, but it’s possible that Alto unconsciously clung to the role painted by the scenario where he is Ranka’s protector as a reason to run away from confronting his own issues properly.

Focusing on that allowed him to ignore the need to resolve things, and gave him a substantial excuse to throw back at his family when they insist he come back, instead of him facing up to them properly and saying that ‘I may be good at it, but I just don’t want to act on stage anymore.’

• September 17, 2008 at 2:51 ammusouka

Alto can be genuinely concerned about Ranka, and still use her to run away from his own feelings of inadequacy. It’s not that all his interactions with Ranka were “wrong” or anything, just immature. Again, immaturity is not a bad thing in the world of Macross, it’s just a necessary step on your path to adulthood. Just like having Alto as a support changed Ranka’s life for the better, so did having Ranka to support change Alto for the better. I’m not sure he would have been capable of helping Sheryl the way he was early on the show, if not for his interactions with Ranka.

The problem is, you can’t stay in that immature state forever. Ranka/Alto fans are misreading his decision and trying to make it about Ranka. Wouldn’t it be more likely that if “killing Ranka” was about protecting Ranka, he would have added something about making sure she wouldn’t do something she’d regret? Alto doesn’t want to kill Ranka, he loves her a lot. The point of that scene is that there is something he holds higher than Ranka at this point. Part of his decision is for her, yes, but you can’t look at the whole thing through shipper googles; they’re blinding you to the truth just as much as a Sheryl fan might have been blinded by the last ep.

• September 17, 2008 at 11:30 amyuKime

@musouka

I don’t think Alto’s interactions (even if you say some) are immature at all. Sure some of them were rash and reckless but it was definitely not immature. Ranka being in danger even brings out the best of Alto’s piloting skills. See the way he acted when he was rescuing Ranka in ep14, Luca and Ozma were both amazed at how he was fighting to get into that Vajra ship. The only thing I think Alto did that was immature was being so close-minded with the Vajra problem Ranka asked him to help her with in ep 21. But still, I don’t mind Alto doing what he did in ep21 because his mentality was set-up by the circumstances that happened previously (such as Michel’s death). Him protecting Ranka (like in episode 13 and 14) was not because he was running away nor was it because he was compelled to as a pilot but rather because he WANTED to save her. Alto isn’t using Ranka as an excuse, but he sees her as his reason, a meaning to what he is doing, which is to protect her. See how when he lost Ranka, he seemed to have been running away again, avoiding decisions and just letting each situation take control of his emotions. In 23, he became resolute that he would face everything, sacrifice everything to protect what is the most important, which is Frontier. Indeed, Alto showing that he values Frontier more than Ranka means that he does prioritize Frontier but it doesn’t mean he’s forgotten Ranka, rather it was his way to save her (if she did become used by Vajras).

Alto choosing to kill Ranka doesn’t mean he had stopped loving her (or caring for her) but rather it IS his OWN way of protecting both Ranka and Frontier. (He did say that he will kill her IF and ONLY IF she will be a threat to Frontier) If there was any way to save Ranka without killing her, Alto would definitely take that route first before resorting to killing her. Yes, it is definitely not all about Ranka but Sheryl fans should also see that Klan (the one who is supporting Alto x Sheriru the most) even interpreted Alto’s words as that of his feelings, revealing who he truly loves. “Is that your love?” And no, it is definitely not referring to Alto’s love for Frontier, I’m betting my paycheck on that. It’s not me looking through shipping goggles, but it’s me saying that the way Alto stated his speech to Klan, it meant he held Ranka as one of his most important friends (if not THE most important beloved) and cared for her so much, even if he denied it to himself (hence running away and pretending not to notice) BUT now that the whole world’s future depends on Ranka’s existence, he will be willing to give up what he holds dear (Ranka) to do a mature decision of sacrificing one life (one which he WANTED to protect) to do what is RIGHT. That makes his decision painful yet one which is correct, one that will do good for many. So it isn’t actually about Ranka but about Frontier, but it also can’t definitely NOT be NOT ABOUT Ranka. It concerns Ranka, no matter what angle you look at it.

@nezumibento

I still don’t see it anywhere that Alto used Ranka as an excuse to justify his actions of running away. He wanted to protect her, not because he was his excuse but because he was precious to him. Alto didn’t cling to his protector role (of Ranka) that much at all. If you even look at it closely, Alto even steps aside from his protector role when Brera came in (see ep 16 and 21). If he really valued Ranka because he was using her as his excuse of running away, I think he would have made it more thorough, thinking, “I HAVE to protect her. I HAVE TO.” But seeing as Brera was doing a better job at it, he decided to give it to him, feeling that Ranka would be better off with Brera as her protector. If Alto was using Ranka, he’d insist on protecting her, thinking he’d lose his reason if he didn’t do that anymore. But Alto wasn’t being selfish and actually thought what he think was best for Ranka, not what was best for himself, so I can’t see Alto using Ranka (consciously OR unconsciously) as his excuse.

• September 17, 2008 at 2:04 pmSherry

250th post ^^
    Here goes 3 others preview pictures for ep24; only 24h left before the beginning of the big final of Macross Frontier! XD

• September 17, 2008 at 2:05 pmSherry

Ah…The html code for inserting pics do not work ^^;; Well, nothing then…

• September 17, 2008 at 2:36 pmaneeshadc

@ yukime
    Thank you. I like that you’re atleast open enuf to try & look at the bigger picture, unlike most ranka fans, even if you wont concede on the alto/ranka ending.:D

What Nezumibento & Musuoka said.
    I dont think musouka meant to say that alto didnt genuinely care for ranka because he clearly did, just that there were a lot of fundamental reasons besides the main one of wanting to protect ranka that spurred on alto’s decision to join SMS.

I was thinking abt a few things last night; ya I’ve lost precious sleep over this stupid damn LT. I, for one am glad there’s only two more episodes to finish so that I can properly concentrate on my university courses thereafter. I’m sure I’ll miss all of the awesome characters, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

There is only one way to do that i.e alto used protecting ranka as a reason to join SMS because he didnt want to admit to himself that he was in fact running away. That pretty much connects the three dots. He finally admits that he was running away in ep 23 directly after he says he wanted to protect ranka forever. So, the only conclusion I can come to is that the actual reason alto joined SMS was because he was running away While Ranka became his much nobler psuedo reason, a cover for his inadequacy to deal with his past.

Admitting that he was joining SMS beacause he was running away from his problems wasnt going to make him look good at all, not to mention all the flak he usually got from Michael for the same reason. So, he unconsciously latched on to Ranka as the reason, so that he can feel better abt himself. That’s where all the righteous anger comes from when he’s repeatedly being doubted by Michael Cause he also wants to believe in his role, more like he is becoming the role( his father’s acting advice). He isnt doing it intentionally, its in his blood, he is unconsciously slipping into his role so that he doesnt have to think abt his shortcomings or past in any way. While he does genuinely want to protect her as well, his intention, while good, werent all pure.

Something else, alto’s kill=love logic does not make his actions noble or sacrificial unless ranka herself asks him to kill her, he has no right to decide something like that for her otherwise. How is he protecting her by killing her? Her not wnting to be a tool is not synonymous with her wanting to die. But if it was abt frontier, then it would make more sense because by destroying her, he is protecting the homeland that he has grown to deeply value.

This is merely speculation but I believe Sheryl deservers the credit for this change in him. I think he’s been touched & infected by her contagious enthusiasm for life & strong willpower & determination against all odds. I think he learns to love frontier & decides to finally face his past because of her presence in his life. In ep 23, he talks abt hw fragile life is & hw people still want to continue to live despite the harsh reality. I cannot help but feel that this connects to Sheryl’s situation as well.

Sheryl is dying & yet she wants to devote the rest of her life to singing for the people of Frontier. She is basically sacrificing her life, speeding her own death to protect the countless lives struggling to live on Frontier. While his desire to protect frontier is genuine, it is also a desire that is shared by Sheryl. I feel that he is doubly motivated in protecting frontier at any cost, not only because he has begun to value frontile & realize the fragility of life but also because he wants to protect what Sheryl is sacrifycing her own life to protect. Its his way of showing his support, trying to protect life in his own way, only from the other end of the spectrum from Sheryl as a pilot. Klan knowing abt alto & sheryl’s situation could have caught on to this & was maybe touched at this show of love for Frontier & sheryl. So from my POV, If ranka becomes a threat to all that he loves now, he will not hesitate to kill her. A case of what he wanted to protect above all else in the past VS what he wants to protect now above all else. A painfull resolution, indeed.

• September 17, 2008 at 4:06 pmyuKime

@Sherry

There were three others?! I thought there were only three… (Kanaria, then Grace the Alto and other squad pilots) ^^; Maybe they changed it just like the way they did change some pics in ep 22?

@aneeshadc

Will get to your post later. Need to eat lunch first. Will be back with my (I’m already sure of it) long post. ^-^

• September 17, 2008 at 7:38 pmdiva

I don’t know about you folks, but you can analyze Alto’s character till your head explodes and live on denial for two weeks, but Ranka’s still going to go dokun dokun dokun to a person who’s in love with her in episode 25. XD This is a love story, two people will get together, and look at the last episode’s title. YOUR sound? ahahah LT’s over. They’ll just tie the loose ends with sheryl and alto next episode, and reserve the finale with Alto confronting Ranka. DOKUN DOKUN DOKUNNNN XD

The black atmosphere right now will turn into a lolpsyche!psyche!happyending!!!1 in episode 25. I’ll laugh hard at anyone who convince themselves we’ll get a dark gloomy ending lolollll

• September 17, 2008 at 9:43 pmnezumibento

@yuKime

I don’t mean that Alto used Ranka specifically as justification to evade his own issues – and I don’t disagree with you that his decision doesn’t mean that he stopped caring for her. It’s more that because of the relationship he has with her, she’s unwittingly provided a role for him to play that allows him to push his past and his issues away.

Again, as Musouka has pointed out, this isn’t the most mature way of dealing with your issues with your past, by blotting it out with new relationships and new tasks.

However in the end when he can’t run any longer, he finally decides to grow up a bit and come through with a resolution that aligns his true feelings with the situation at hand.

It was interesting to me that he chose the more painful route of reflection, through the path of no hope, where he has no choice but to destroy someone who means a great deal to him because he knows he can’t put her above everyone’s lives and dreams no matter how he may feel.

I say this in part because from the point of view of a kid who’s never killed another person. This should weigh heavily in his heart because it’s one thing to kill Vajira, another to kill another human being, let alone someone who you’ve shared a relationship with. In more ways than one, 23 was really the end of innocence for him because of this.

• September 17, 2008 at 11:01 pmyuKime

@aneeshadc

Finally, a time to write a reply on you. Probably my last post here since I got to sleep early for early work tomorrow.

“So,umm, ya, Chew on this a bit. When you’re watching the episodes again, you’ll notice that whenever the topic of why alto joined SMS is brought up in the series, it is always followed up by two things- 1)ranka or flashback of ranka 2) alto denying that he is running away or flashback of his dad. The only reason I can think of as to why they lump these three things together is because we are supposed to connect these three dots together.”

Really? I thought he only had flashbacks of Ranka whenever he was confronted by him running away or by him being confronted by the reason he run away i.e. his dad. Remember in episode 4 when he returned to SMS, he had a flashback of his dad and Ranka, thinking, “Just you watch.” or something. If you don’t mind can you point out the instances where Alto did think of Ranka when he joined SMS? Actually, Alto saying up front that he did join to protect Ranka was still surprising to me since I really thought he was only convinced by her song and speech at the park, but it actually turned out that it WAS her. Or maybe it was both speech/song and her. Alto having flashbacks of Ranka always involved when he lost Ranka. Either she was kidnapped by Vajra or went to Vajra lala-land. I never seen Alto had flashbacks of Ranka when he was asked why he joined except for in 23 when he FINALLY revealed that he joined because he wanted to protect her.

Again, I am still not convinced that Alto used Ranka as his excuse/logical cover for running away. If you watch episode 3 where he got resolute in joining SMS, it was one of determination and enlightenment, not one of running away and finding a good cover-up. Alto’s confession in 23 that he had been running away concerned many things but did not imply that he used Ranka at all. He had been running away from choices, not facing his father to tell him what he really wanted, not facing Ranka with his real feelings and pretending not to notice the two girls’ advances. But he now knows that it is time to face everything and thus he decides to choose to protect what is most important for everyone (while sacrificing what he wants to protect the most). The reason why Alto was shown telling Klan why he joined SMS is to make the scene more dramatic, more symbolic that Alto was willing to sacrifice big time, to protect Frontier. (Just read my post above since I think I’m just going in circles. ^^;)

Kill=Love logic is painful and is SUPPOSED to be sacrificial since Alto is doing something he really DOESN’T want to do. Imagine, he wants to protect HER forever but he is doing the other with his own hands, ending her life to save the many. It’s sacrificial for Alto’s part, imagine the pain he’s inflicting on himself to do this. Sure he has no right to decide for her but if the Vajras were the one who decided for her, wouldn’t Ranka just prefer to die rather than cause death to many. We know that Ranka’s wish is for everyone to be happy, I’m thinking she will be willing to die if it would mean that it will save others. Protecting someone doesn’t always mean preserving her life. You can protect someone by protecting her wishes. Haven’t you seen dramas where one asks the other to kill him/her if he/she goes berserk. Um… this will be a bad example but I’m in a hurry so I grab whichever pops in my mind. Have you seen Van Helsing the movie? Van Helsing was on the verge of turning into a werewolf, a blood-thirsty animal out to kill innocent lives. Before that happens, what did Van Helsing do? He requested Anna (at least I think that’s her name) to kill him by shooting him with a silver bullet. That’s what Alto is going to do, kill Ranka instead of watching her kill people without a mind of her own. And I’m betting Ranka will not hold this against Alto BECAUSE she loves Alto and understands him. (Oh wait, we aren’t even sure if there will be a killing..) So yeah, in times, killing = protecting. In this case, Alto sacrifices what he had been wanting to protect all along to save a whole fleet. That’s a sacrifice that made me think, “Wow… Alto’s all grown up!” yet also made me think, “Jeez, couldn’t he at least think of some other way first…” ^^;

“It’s still grossly wrong, but I’m sure he’ll change his mind abt it eventually. Atm he is driven by his fierce desire to protect Frontier & life on it. Its amazing that the boy who didnt want to live on frontier & hated it with a passion is now willing to go to any lenghts to protect life on it. What could have brought on this change?”

The change is he stopped running away. I think Alto only says that he hates Frontier but in reality he treasures it very dearly. We know that Alto has a thing for dying people, he gets emotional when he sees someone dying in front of him, and that made him stop complaining about Frontier not having a real sky and realizing that even without a real sky, people struggle to live and survive in that colony fleet. So he wishes to protect it. Sheryl’s situation may possibly have something to do with it, seeing as he can just imagine what Sheryl is going through right now. The way Alto thought that Sheryl is becoming spoiled because she can’t help it, shows too that he is looking after her closely. Whether it’s love or friendship, I’d still say it’s the latter since I never see Alto talk so meaningfully about Sheryl to others yet.. I’m thinking they have a nice heartwarming talk tomorrow (based from the preview).

And on the last paragraph we definitely disagree for obvious shipping reasons. I don’t think Alto knows about Sheryl not drinking her meds=speeding her death… does he? Anyway, if Alto really had fallen for Sheryl, he should have at least included her in his speech, I mean, it’s the 23rd episode already! Stop running around in circles and talk about who you really like Alto! RAWR! If it was supposed to be implied, the implication that he loved Ranka is much larger though. I mean, I’ve been visiting none biased blogs and they also see that Alto’s speech in the rooftop to Klan is generally a confession that he has feelings for Ranka all along. But yeah, it all depends on our interpretation. I guess, until Alto goes all out and shouts, “I love you Ranka!” some people just wouldn’t be convinced that he does love Ranka that’s why he’s going to kill her. I can’t blame them. I still didn’t believe SherylxAlto ending even after watching ep. 22 where almost all have been saying, they had kissed and sealed the LT as Sheryl’s victory.

One thing’s for sure though, Alto doesn’t want to kill Ranka. At all. But if the big IF Alto has given will happen, let’s just see how resolute Alto is with his decision. Romance/Drama ftw!

@nezumibento

“He plays this role not just to Ranka, but to other people, Luca and Sheryl included. It doesn’t necessarily mean that he will insist on playing hero to Ranka, but it allows him to cling to the role of the ‘protector’ whose responsibility is to the people who he cares about. Him shifting his protection to other people reinforces this, but when questions of his past issues come up he dodges them with as much tenacity as he does shots fired in a dogfight.”

Yes, he plays the role not just to Ranka and that’s the point. Alto has been protecting people (Ranka, Luca OR Sheryl) because he values all of them. Just that Ranka got emphasized in ep 23 because she was the reason he joined SMS. Him passing his protector role to Brera is him running away because he is unsure of whether he can REALLY protect Ranka better. It’s not him reinforcing he is using Ranka as an excuse at all.

The way you interpreted Alto’s confession that he might have been running away is different from mine. I think Alto was saying he’s been running away from confrontations and choices, letting circumstances/his emotions take him wherever. He’s not using Ranka as a cover-up for running away. I really don’t believe that because Alto’s concern for her is real. Alto wanting to protect others is not him running away, the point is he has been wishy-washy about his decisions, not seeing it through all the way. See, when he decided to protect Ranka but then gave her away and let Brera do it. That’s running away. When he was asked to choose his own path in 22 and he wasn’t able to respond, that’s running away. When he blurted out he wanted to join in SMS, just because he wanted to know the Vajra, that in a way is running away (as told by Michel even). Him refusing to go home, even just to confront his father and give him a piece of his mind. That’s running away. Him pretending not to notice Ranka and Sheryl’s feelings, that’s running away. (Like one time, he knew Ranka was hurting and didn’t want to sing but he still asked her to sing, that’s running away.) But him choosing to protect someone all out, going head-to-head with all he’s got to save someone? No, I don’t think that is part of him running away. If anything, that is Alto being dedicated and determined to achieve something.

But yes, I agree that him deciding to kill Ranka ends innocence and running away for him. Not letting emotions (especially his want to protect Ranka) tie him down, he will do what will be good for everyone, embracing pain and sorrow, to protect many instead of protecting a single life he had wanted to protect all along. Definitely painful but a sign of selflessness. What a true soldier would consider doing.

• September 18, 2008 at 12:02 amnezumibento

I just have to say how interesting it is that there tends to sober conversation rather than mud-slinging when discussing Alto’s character than when the two girls are the topic of discussion. LOL why is that?

Anyway I appreciate all responses to my opinion. Discussion is always fun.

I’m looking forward to tonight’s episode with all the upcoming battle scenes, and I hope they reveal more about what Grace and Ranshe had been working on this time.

• September 18, 2008 at 1:51 amyuKime

@nezumibento

It depends on the people who are talking. =) I think Alto is being given some slack since he has finally shown some manning up moments. ^^;

Hope the animation for the battle scenes will be glorious as always! After all, they just got 2 episodes, why not make it without thinking about the budget? XD

• September 18, 2008 at 3:05 amaneeshadc

@ yukime
    Thnx for the effort. I should really go to sleep too, hav a class at 9 tom, but I’m too excited to go sleep!

Sry, I made a mistake there, whenever the topic of why he joins SMS is brought up, its usually followed up by either only option 2) or both 1) & 2). What I mean is that these instances are usually followed up by an alto/ranka interaction or a flashback of her or a vehement denial from alto that he isnt running or a flashback of his dad. Either way though, I still find myself coming to the same conclusion. Please forgive me but I’m too lazy & sleepy to make the effort to point out all of the instances tonight,^_^ but if you really want me to, then I’ll try & do it for you at another time, kay?

About the kill=love logic thingy, I did mention that I would completely agree with you if Ranka herself asked him to kill her & he agrees to do so. Then, it would be really tragic, sacrificial, noble & romantic of him to be willing to take such a step, but I dont agree with him presuming that its what ranka would have wanted. I’d feel better abt it if he had said, I will do eveything in my power to save her from the clutches of the Vajra, but if all else fails & she is to be used as a tool, against her will to hurt frontier, then he will personally kill her. I would have accepted this as love even if he didnt come right out & say it. Its just the way he worded things that makes me think that while he does love her & its painful for him to decide to kill her, he isnt in love with her.
    And, ya, he does play roles with all of his friends including sheryl & ranka but that doesnt mean his actions werent genuine just that he gets so immersed in his roles that when it concerns the girls, it is hard to decipher the extent of his feelings for both girls. How much of it was him getting caught up in the moment, swept by circumstances/danger & how much of it was real genuine emotion? This is the million dollar Question, which of the girls is the trigger to his real emotions? Ep 23, we learn what ranka meant to him & ep 24, I guess we’ll learn what Sheryl means to him & 25 is probably when he makes his choice. The interesting thing is his acting tendencies have kinda put both girls on the fence for now. I ( as I should being a proud sheryl fan) feel that Sheryl has the edge here & I bet you feel the contrary( just as a proud ranka fan should). May the better pairing & woman win!^_~

• September 18, 2008 at 6:51 amhorace

hey guys, let’s get away from the triangle for a while.

does anybody actually noticed that the last episode aired on 9/11? quite shocked that they didn’t make any reference on it. Or is it because they should have aired the next episode last week(they stopped one week to make way for the Eurocup) and we will see the reference tonight.

• September 18, 2008 at 11:09 amVF-25 Messiah

@horace

It’s japan so why would they? Or do you expect every show aired on television that day to make references to it? Does that even happen in the US? Them stopping one week for Eurocup is because said cup caused scheduling changes on the time table. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a reference.

• September 19, 2008 at 6:57 pmMira-chan

This gets me annoyed.I root for AltoxSheryl,let’s have a little fate in the ending…to be honest if it ends with Ranka,I’ll classify this naime as the worst.I mean it would be like Alto chooses a dog over a real woman,let’s face it Ranka can’t even be considered a woman better a dog or a retard.I strongly believe that she is retarded,I mean come on she isn’t the only one who suffered in htis whole world but she acts like she is,look at Sheryl she suffered even more but she didn’t whine and she strongly loves Alto.For Ranka it just seems like the type of soap-opera right now,I mean I don’t think she even loves Alto she just needs one to change her diapers or better said to burden.
    It’s incredibly annoying to see that in a minute she is an ugly duckling(she is one of the ugliest characters from anime,I see her as a dog but dogs are cuter anyway),I do hope she dies,I seriously want her dead,she destroyed a magnificent anime.I mean what is wrong with animes or mangas at this moment,I thought we were somehow over with :ugly girl characters,stupid too,clumsy too,that cry and need pampering all the time.It’s depressing to see that though they are this way they get to be saviors of the world,they get the best guys and some even get to be stars as Ranka,okay I don’t deny her talent but come on you just don’t throw away one of your favourite artists because there is a new one in town.I mean even Britney and Christina shared sometimes the same fans,I mean I liked both of them as singers and I do like more Aguilera as a person and her voice is better,but anyway both of them had the looks.
    Ranka,I don’t know,seems with no class,there were some episodes with ads with her,that really are a pain for the eye,and she looks trashy somehow.I mean no matter what you say I have more reasons to like Sheryl:she had a worse story than Ranka,she had some humiliating situations,she must also accept the fact that the guy she loves is somehow dellusional,I mean he doesn’t have what it takes to be a man and that is:decision,she caries a disease and with all that she is strong,where does she get all that strength.What is not to appreciate about her,the fact that she is a true star and the fact that she supported Ranka indeed while the little “doggie” bit her,I mean when she had the opportunity to become a singer she didn’t say yes because of that,noo it was because she wanted to kiss Alto too,and the fact that she gets how the sister felt that made me think that she would be enough hypocrite to still her sister’s boyfriend,if she had one.I have so many ideas why I hate her that I hope I don’t get repetitive.But I ant to tell you that it simply is too much and this anime just became somehow too much,that I started to watch only screenshots and to read spoilers,Ranka is disgusting,I hate her,she even changed seets with Rukia,I mean way to go Rukia was the motif why I stopped watching Bleach,at least Rukia didn’t whine or cried.I do like Orihime but compared to Ranka she is notable famine and she isn’t an hypocrite either and she doesn’t whine so much.Anyway back to Ranka and the crew,the anime became lame.I mean you leave with a girl,she helped you in various occasions and you have another one that never helped you in anyway but just because you met her firstly does that mean you should end up with her.Now really did you noticed what typical idea they have,the guy remains with the girl he firstly met,though she wasn’t so much with him and didn’t care that much either about him till the second girl appeared,way to go,hypocrisy all the way.And yes she defies the laws of human beauty but that wouldn’t be a huge problem if she had other qualities than her voice,I mean she seems stupid too which is terrible if you aren’t beautiful either and she also needs babysitting,it gets even worse,right!It is depressing,I mean girls we should be aware maybe our guys get stolen by such types of girls as Ranka…lol…I hardly doubt it,seriously who wants to have a burden and not a girlfriend.And what it is amazing is that Alto and Sheryl were together all this time he still didn’t say he loves her,it’s shocking that he even thinks about Ranka to be honest,and he had much rare moments with Ranka,so it’s pretty illogical to choose her too.
    I don’t know this anime started so well,it should have better stayed on the mecha-action path than love triangle,it got ridiculous.

• September 20, 2008 at 9:27 amdruid

@Mira-chan

Take a deep breath.
    Think of a happy place.
    Take another deep breath.
    Let go of the hatred.