« Tears to Tiara – 23, 24

Tears to Tiara – 25, 26 (END)

Episode 25

Tears to Tiara   25   01 Tears to Tiara   25   02 Tears to Tiara   25   03
Tears to Tiara   25   04 Tears to Tiara   25   05 Tears to Tiara   25   06
Tears to Tiara   25   07 Tears to Tiara   25   08 Tears to Tiara   25   09
Tears to Tiara   25   10 Tears to Tiara   25   11 Tears to Tiara   25   12
Tears to Tiara   25   13 Tears to Tiara   25   14 Tears to Tiara   25   15
Tears to Tiara   25   16 Tears to Tiara   25   17 Tears to Tiara   25   18
Tears to Tiara   25   19 Tears to Tiara   25   20 Tears to Tiara   25   21

Summary:

Through the various rumors they had heard, Ogam and Octavia are able to figure out that they’re dealing with Lector, and Arawn identifies him as a White Angel. He’s also the one who killed Arthur’s father and tried to frame Arawn for it. Lector’s goal now is to bring about the end of the world so that everything dies and turns into pure white ash. Not about to let that happen, Arawn and company fight through Lector’s skeleton minions and then try to attack Lector himself. He’s able to avoid everything they throw at him, but Arthur doesn’t give up and manages to cut Lector’s cheek. This shocks Lector and drives him mad, and after a giant creature suddenly emerges in the center of the room, Lector lets its flames engulf him. Arawn and Ogam identify this creature as Mercadis, the same creature that took Arawn’s life in the last war, and it grows even more powerful now. Fortunately, when the floor under the group collapses, they are saved by dragons under the direction of Taliesin who is still alive. Those dragons fly the group out of the tower, but they still have to deal with the gigantic Mercadis.

Episode 26

Tears to Tiara   26   01 Tears to Tiara   26   02 Tears to Tiara   26   03
Tears to Tiara   26   04 Tears to Tiara   26   05 Tears to Tiara   26   06
Tears to Tiara   26   07 Tears to Tiara   26   08 Tears to Tiara   26   09
Tears to Tiara   26   10 Tears to Tiara   26   11 Tears to Tiara   26   12
Tears to Tiara   26   13 Tears to Tiara   26   14 Tears to Tiara   26   15
Tears to Tiara   26   16 Tears to Tiara   26   17 Tears to Tiara   26   18
Tears to Tiara   26   19 Tears to Tiara   26   20 Tears to Tiara   26   21
Tears to Tiara   26   22 Tears to Tiara   26   23 Tears to Tiara   26   24

Summary:

Mercadis’ first action is to use it’s electrum breath cannon to blow up a mountain range in the distance. Ogam explains that the only way to stop it is with the Words of Power, and the only person who can recite them is Riannon. Unfortunately, she doesn’t know the words right now, and until she can figure it out, Arawn and Arthur use their swords together to try to stop the cannon. Arawn, however, gets hurt in the process, and Riannon realizes that she can’t heal him. Arthur gets him back into the action though, and Arawn telling Riannon to believe in herself causes her to experience a sudden vision. In it, she sees herself with all of her friends in a green field, and she realizes that the answer has been inside of her all along. Primula also appears in the vision to urge her on and to tell her to save Arawn. After Riannon comes out of the vision, she approaches Mercadis and recites the words, and it results in all of the monster’s body and power being stripped away. This in turn reveals the body of Lector inside, and Arthur finishes him off with one fatal stab. In the aftermath, the group returns to Avalon, and Arawn has a vision of Pwyll telling him to make Arthur king. Arawn eventually does so in a formal ceremony in front of all the people, and Arthur succeeds the name Pendragon. Everyone lives happily together in their new kingdom, and Arawn leaves his sword at the stone monument overlooking the ocean.

Epilogue

Tears to Tiara   26   25 Tears to Tiara   26   26 Tears to Tiara   26   27
Tears to Tiara   26   28 Tears to Tiara   26   29 Tears to Tiara   26   30
Tears to Tiara   26   31 Tears to Tiara   26   32 Tears to Tiara   26   33

I thought Taliesin appearing again alive would be more of a big deal, but it wasn’t at all. He just showed back up with a fleet of dragons, and there wasn’t much explained other than the fact that he survived with the help of those same dragons. How convenient. It was also convenient that there just happened to be special words that could defeat that monster and that Riannon just happened to intuitively know them, but at least they developed that prior back in episode 24 (and those words are technically shown in the ED as well). For Taliesin, they could have at least spent 20 seconds showing what happened to him instead of making him feel like a pure plot device.

That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy the final two episodes though. They were appropriately epic-feeling and I can really appreciate how much closure the ending provides. I’m actually a bit surprised that Arawn got a happy ending because I always thought that he’d sacrifice himself to give Arthur the opportunity to win the final battle. In that regard, Lector went down a little easier than expected at the very end, but given the choice of this or a longer battle but rushed ending, I’d choose this. In fact, I really like how they ended back at that stone monument, and it prompted me to go back and watch the scene in episode four where Riannon talked about Myrddin’s tears, and I think the title of the series finally makes some sense to me now.

Final Thoughts:

What I’ll probably remember best about Tears to Tiara is that it’s a great action series. I can’t say enough about how good of a job WHITE FOX did with the production, and more often than not I just found myself amazed at the battles and fight choreography. The story, on the other hand, was decent for an RPG and was certainly less convoluted than I remember Utawarerumono being, but it seemed to take a long while to develop the overarching plot. All the really important stuff didn’t seem to happen until after the Gaius arc, and by then there was only a quarter of the series left. That’s not too big a deal though considering that I overall still enjoyed the series and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good fantasy action show.

September 30, 2009 at 7:05 am
  • September 30, 2009 at 7:18 amshugima

The ending was good, basic rpg style, and I agree with you Omni, the action scenes are by far the best thing of this one. I played the game(pc version) and really liked how the anime is a little bit different than the game.

• September 30, 2009 at 9:11 amraii

now that the anime has ended, i feel like playing its game now…

• September 30, 2009 at 10:08 ammegalith

I haven’t watched this on the same day… T_T Still waiting for the replay….

I don’t feel like watching this on a streaming site.

• September 30, 2009 at 11:35 amSyllen

no arthur x octavia ending? boo

• September 30, 2009 at 12:03 pmMeery

@image no. 24, ep. 26: Considering who, or what, are standing behind them, do the people really have much choice? >_>
    This was a fun series; the action was good, better than I had anticipated, and the story was decent. Let’s hope White Fox keeps it up.

• September 30, 2009 at 12:48 pmHolding

Probably the best action series this season.^_^

• September 30, 2009 at 1:06 pmSnooSnoo

Riannon’s Mind Control and Word of Power = waaaay too cheesy. I prefer the original game where she played a less major role in the final battle instead of being the main focus. Also, OVA for Tower of Leaf? Lol, then again they brought back fucking Drwc in the main plot so I doubt so.

• September 30, 2009 at 1:50 pmRednights

Good thing I stopped after Octavia’s mini arc was done …

• September 30, 2009 at 2:22 pmAnon

@Syllen Yeah I know but was to be expected with a show that put friendship so high up there.

• September 30, 2009 at 2:51 pmmutio

Quite good fantasy series, also think that. Btw, Tsubasa Chronicles ended today, will you write about that Omni?

• September 30, 2009 at 3:26 pmXanathos

Without the will of saying something annoying…
    But the main characters (that Priestess-like character, and the one with white hair) doesn’t this pair resemble a pair from a certain game of the .hack Conglomerate franchise?

• September 30, 2009 at 4:51 pmArntor

Glad it’s finally over, was the worst of the shows that I didn’t actually drop haha.

Well, production was good but storywise it was lacking any depth whatsoever. No more animes based on RPG’s for me.

• September 30, 2009 at 6:01 pmXelloss

finally over…

btw the link on the last screenshot is missing the . between 33 and jpg

• September 30, 2009 at 8:25 pmMike

Happy ending and nice production was good and all, but in term of storyline Utawarerumono got to be 3 times better.
    1. It explain everything without chessy plot of what happen? but woo this guy didn’t died and he came back with group of dragon reinforcement.
    2. Plus I just have so much more feeling for the characters in Utawarerumono, can anyone of us who had watch Utawarerumono deny that during the final moment of Utawarerumono and that cut-in song that we didn’t feel sad about a good series is coming to an end. Can’t say i felt the same about Tears to Tiara.
    3. Overall is a good series as time killer but could definitely use more help plot wise. Not to mention a more definite ending would help Is Arawn goner have 1 wife? 2? 3? or everyone? Would be nice to actually explain the whole ending.

• September 30, 2009 at 9:46 pmdszx

Dropped this at episode 13.

I’m glad I did; some of the characters were just annoying as hell (ARTHUR).

• October 1, 2009 at 3:47 amaly25

To bad they dropped most of the funny events from the game, but it was still a good serie.

• October 1, 2009 at 5:02 amAster

the role of arawn remind me of gandalf, lol……………….

• October 1, 2009 at 7:49 pmShiroiRyu

Mike, for the 3rd :
    I think he choose just Riannon.
    Contrary of the PC Game, the PS3 Game is not a hentai…
    So we can saw Octavia is not in love with Arawn, etc.

• October 1, 2009 at 8:22 pmSilver

@ dszx

I’m sorry you miss out on the development. But then again, many people miss out on development and then complain about it when there is improvement but they’re not there to see it.

• October 2, 2009 at 6:40 pmBROOKLYN otaku

Nice clean finish for a nice clean series..”sorta like a refreshing premium beer aftertaste” GLAD they was no generic sacrificial ending.

• October 4, 2009 at 9:35 amAlgester

apparently in the original PC game it was said that arawn sealed himself again so im not sure what happened to PS3

• October 10, 2009 at 12:03 pmAnn

does anyone know what the ending song that was played in the last episode?

• January 17, 2010 at 10:04 amArthur

Arthur and Octavia really loves each other in the anime. They also got engaged according to the anime, which says that holding hands mean engaging!

• November 13, 2010 at 5:06 amdesdes

Maybe i’m one of the few but I’m glad I watched this. Really enjoyed it but there were times when i found some characters annoying. Having Riannon be the one who saves everyone at the end with that poem/song thing was expected from a few episodes back. Would’ve liked it more if more romance happened between Riannon and Arawn though. :P