FAIRY TAIL – 02 »

FAIRY TAIL   01   13 FAIRY TAIL   01   14 FAIRY TAIL   01   15
FAIRY TAIL   01   16 FAIRY TAIL   01   17 FAIRY TAIL   01   18
FAIRY TAIL   01   19 FAIRY TAIL   01   20 FAIRY TAIL   01   21
FAIRY TAIL   01   22 FAIRY TAIL   01   23 FAIRY TAIL   01   24
FAIRY TAIL   01   25 FAIRY TAIL   01   26 FAIRY TAIL   01   27
FAIRY TAIL   01   28 FAIRY TAIL   01   29 FAIRY TAIL   01   30

Summary:

The kingdom of Fiore exists in a world of magic with wizards and magic guilds. In the port of Hargeon, a wizard named Lucy has just finished some magic shopping when she comes across a crowd of girls gathered around a wizard who calls himself Salamander. She’s at first attracted to him like all the other girls, but when a different guy suddenly bursts through the crowd because he mistook this Salamander for someone else, Lucy comes back to her senses. She realizes that Salamander had cast a charm spell on everyone, and to thank Natsu, the guy who helped free her from it, she treats him and his pet Happy to lunch. In the process she reveals her desire to join a guild and learns that Natsu is searching for a dragon named Igneel. After they part ways, Lucy reads in a magazine about the latest exploits of the guild Fairy Tail, and, in wondering how to join them, she’s overheard by Salamander. He claims to be part of Fairy Tail and offers her the chance to join if she comes to the party on his ship.

Lucy goes, but once there, she realizes that Salamander is trying to use Sleep magic to knock her out. When she resists, his thugs show up, and Salamander reveals that he’s in the business of kidnapping and selling women. He throws away Lucy’s Gate Keys to prevent her from using her summoning magic, but fortunately for her, Natsu and Happy arrive because they had heard the rumors about Salamander being in Fairy Tail. Happy flies Lucy away, but after the time limit on Happy’s wings run out, they both fall into the ocean. Luckily, Lucy is able to retrieve her Gate Keys from the ocean floor. She uses them to summon Aquarius and then has the spirit use her powers to push the ship back to port. Being back on solid land means that Natsu no longer suffers from motion sickness, and he’s finally able to properly confront Salamander about being in Fairy Tail. Natsu knows that Salamander is a fraud because Natsu himself is a Fairy Tail wizard, and what’s more, he’s able to use a slew of ancient anti-dragon magic techniques, like the ability to consume fire. He’s thus able to make short work of this fraud, but in the process he destroys much of the port, and he’s forced to run from the authorities. However, he drags Lucy with him because she wanted to join Fairy Tail.

ED Sequence

FAIRY TAIL   ED1   01 FAIRY TAIL   ED1   02 FAIRY TAIL   ED1   03
FAIRY TAIL   ED1   04 FAIRY TAIL   ED1   05 FAIRY TAIL   ED1   06

ED: 「完璧ぐ~のね」 (Kanpeki Gu~no ne) by 渡り廊下走り隊 (Watarirouka Hashiritai)
Watch the ED!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Streaming ▼

My reactions to the opening and endings songs here were basically “meh”. The OP at least felt appropriate for a shounen action series like this, but the ED sounded it was sung by a bunch of pre-teen girls (not quite true but close enough) who were trying too hard to sound cute.

This first episode ended up being about what I expected based on having read the manga and seen the promo videos for the show. I think the best way to describe it is as mostly average. It was a fairly entertaining introduction to the premise with some action, comedy, and promising characters (particularly Natsu), and the production quality was decent, but nothing to call home about. Obviously, as you can see above, it wasn’t that bad, but you’d think that a combination of A-1 Pictures and Satelight could have pulled off something a bit more impressive, especially for a first episode.

The worst part of the episode for me was how Kugimiya Rie voiced Happy. That’s probably her most annoying voice and similar to how she sounded in Saki. It was so bad that I didn’t even mind Hirano Aya‘s voicing of Lucy, which was probably what I was most apprehensive about coming into the series. It’s definitely going to take a lot of getting used to if I’m going to continue watching this. And on that note, I am tentatively planning on continuing with FAIRY TAIL, partly because I liked what I read of the manga, and partly because there’s no other Monday shows that interest me. Like I said in the fall preview though, the caveat of course is that this is the type of shounen series that can drag on forever, so that interest can go away quickly if there’s too much boring filler-esque material.

October 12, 2009 at 10:05 pm
  • October 12, 2009 at 10:11 pmkoager

Woot 1st~
    Generally I really dislike Rie’s voice (Shana, Taiga) but I think it works decently as a cat.
    Natsu’s voice wasn’t what I was expecting but after a bit I got used to it.

The other thing that I liked about the first episode is that even though they cut out some of the fight scene from the manga, they got through it to Lucy getting pulled by Natsu running off to Fairy Tail. I was dreading that the episode was just going to end right when the fight starts making the series start right off with a drag. Which is what I felt from 07-Ghost.

• October 12, 2009 at 10:11 pmGuille

cool, i love the manga and the first episode was awesome, cant wait to see mist gun

• October 12, 2009 at 10:13 pmSo Very Odd

Pretty much by the book copy of the manga, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I am looking forward to this series, if it follows the manga closely it should have a good amount of humor and action.

• October 12, 2009 at 10:19 pmdorama

They ruined Fairy Tail… T_T

Hope the later episodes will be better

• October 12, 2009 at 10:25 pmDecel

Geh, the animation practically killed it for me. Too many stills and such. I didn’t remember other shounen series being so static right off the bat.

• October 12, 2009 at 10:29 pmWiru BK-201

This 1st episode was ok, although I’m not a big fan of the dragon appearing in the background every time Natsu uses his powers, and character design-wise I still prefer the manga’s a lot more, this is just from my POV of course. Voice-wise just like it was mentioned above Happy’s and lucy’s are gonna be a little hard getting used to.

• October 12, 2009 at 10:30 pmDjidane

I was expecting Luffy’s voice for Natsu D:

• October 12, 2009 at 10:38 pmTitania Fan

YEa I would have loved Luffy’s voice in Natsu. I didn’t mind Happy and Lucy’s voice as much, it was Natsu’s voice that I thought was off.

Nevertheless, I Love the manga, so I’ll love the series. Looking forward to Erza Scarlet!!!

• October 12, 2009 at 10:39 pme2lie

Lol at the opening, they place Plue from Rave into the opening sequence but i read some of the manga and didn’t see plue there as a character, did they put him here in the anime? I hope the anime will lead to a finish in this series because i was pissed that i bought the whole box set for Rave anime and it didn’t finish and didn’t announce any more episode afterwards :(

• October 12, 2009 at 11:00 pmMearex

Don’t you think this guy look familiar? like….. the guy from Soul Eater……

• October 12, 2009 at 11:16 pmHaruNatsu

@e2lie. Plue is in the manga. not a major role or anything. Just to be safe Show Spoiler ▼

• October 12, 2009 at 11:21 pmarigatou

A decent episode since a-1 pictures have make a high quality animation like True Tears and considering they are spending the budget for this series wisely, I’m sure they put it into the fight scenes and climax episodes.

Again I hope no filler episodes and it shouldn’t suffer the same fate as RAVE.

I miss Plue, Hope ellie/lucy summon him some time.

• October 12, 2009 at 11:22 pmMegas

OK, this is a perfect example of an episode starting off fuckin shitty & ending awesome. The animation doesn’t really bothers me but I can’t seem to watch the other anime that features this style. Maybe Its because the seiyu for those other anime are terrible.

I’m also not a fan of comparing anime & manga. A great or shitty manga won’t necessarily equate to those results in the anime. However, I thought the manga was way too childish & if Natsu’s voice was childish to boot I would have snuff’d this in the trash. There’s over 400 episodes of One Piece for those folks who want that with this animation style, of which I can proudly say I’ve watched NONE. I also never watched Soul Eater either, sad but true. But I do have it saved somewhere. Maybe this anime will turn me on to this style enough for me to watch SE – but I’ll still never touch OP, ever :P

• October 12, 2009 at 11:39 pmKiseki

Watarirouka Hashiritai has crappy voices. In general, Team B is kinda “meh”. >>; If they had Kashiwagi Yuki in there, everything would change.

The ED is cute though. Wayy too shoujo, but cute.

• October 12, 2009 at 11:54 pmBROOKLYN otaku

OHH WOW!! LUFFY AND THE GANG!!!……ooops.. i mean NATSU!! and friends. Ohhh that NAMI and her dream to write stuff…ooop’s…. i mean that LUCY and her dream to write stuff what a CARD!! well i sure hope NATSU GETS TO BECOME THE PIRATE KING!!!

• October 13, 2009 at 12:24 amJin

This could of been so much better starting off… Oh well i still think this will be worth watching once the action starts heating up, i hope . This series has so much potential and if they just follow the manga closely and animate fight scenes with hi quality you really cant fail.

• October 13, 2009 at 12:24 amSplash

I really liked this 1st episode. I also liked the way she played Happy. Its amazing how many characters this girl plays. Shana, Louise from Zero No Tsukaima, Nemu and Karin on Bleach, and tons more. I also was wondering if the same people that make Fairy Tail anime also make Naruto Shippuden? Some of Lucy’s facial features and mannerisms were dead on perfect for Sakura.

• October 13, 2009 at 12:26 amkoager

Erm…for people who keep saying Luffy/One Piece…Get it right.
    Fairy Tail is by Hiro Mashima, who did Grove Adventure Rave
    One Piece is by Eiichiro Oda
    Two different people.
    On the surface their styles may seem similar due to coming from the same generation following Akira Toriyama but differences between them can be seen when truly compared

• October 13, 2009 at 12:34 amcore

urgh, the beginning song felt like the singer had no idea what he was doing. If it was supposed to fit in with the whole “omg-ee fairy taillllll”, it just fell flat.

the ending song was too shoujo-esque. It went with the same flow as Rave’s ending songs where Elie was featured most of the time, so I get the whole Lucy being there. But the songs? I would so prefer an Elie Rave version compared to this.

• October 13, 2009 at 12:42 amFreya

Meh I would watch this show regardless how bad the VA is….but stupid Crunchyroll licensed it. Crunchyroll sucks balls.

• October 13, 2009 at 12:45 amapples

The art and consequently the speed of action are all very lacking. I really love this manga…but I don’t see the same happening with the anime.

• October 13, 2009 at 12:54 amSilver

@ koager

You probably don’t understand us. We know that One Piece and Fairy Tail are by two different authors but the thing is that I see a lot of resemblance between Luffy and Natsu so that’s why we were hoping that Natsu was voiced by the person who voiced Natsu. If it wasn’t we would not mind either.

• October 13, 2009 at 12:56 amAbd Al-Azrad

I’ve never read the original Fairy Tail, but after watching the first episode I have to say that I do enjoy it. It’s funny, it’s quirky, and it’s highly unexpected. And it’s not the usual fan service anime, it was actually about the story itself unlike the recent anime which all feature hot springs episodes for boosted DVD sales.

• October 13, 2009 at 1:17 am-

Erza>>> ALL! <3

• October 13, 2009 at 1:41 amOmni

Kiseki: I’m a little surprised that anyone here even knows who they are. I’ve heard of AKB48 before, but I had to look this particular unit up.

• October 13, 2009 at 1:54 amKiseki

Omni, I’m a casual AKB48 fan. P:

Their vocals…really do not impress me.

• October 13, 2009 at 2:08 amkoager

Saying Luffy’s voice for Natsu is fine as that’s the impression you would get from what they would sound like since their character personalities are somewhat similar. Having seen the first season of One Piece in Chinese that’s what I somewhat thought of, too, with some variations. My first impression of Natsu was that he sounds a bit too mature. Probably especially as after looking through the VAs I noticed that Tetsuya Kakihara is Mercutio in RomeoxJuliet.
    My “…..” was more meant towards other post(s) that I saw when I quickly scanned through. Or it might’ve been on another forum that carried through in my memory, oh well.

I’m wondering how this series will go. The manga is still ongoing and there doesn’t seem anywhere close to drawing a conclusion yet. There are arcs but I haven’t really seen a huge overarching plot yet, there are some hints at things going on outside of the current arc but so far nothing really big yet; it is all tying together, but there is still quite a ways to go. If anything goes wrong in the anime they can simply add in a lot of fillers if they wished…”yay let’s all do more jobs!”

• October 13, 2009 at 2:09 amAnimeniac

ei… i think i saw plue (maybe wrong spelling) from RAVE?

• October 13, 2009 at 2:42 aminvAZN

Eh, not that impressed by this first episode. Maybe the One Piece style is throwing me off, but so far, I don’t think I’ll be picking this anime up unless some interesting plot is revealed or something =/

• October 13, 2009 at 2:45 amNeo_NMO

Freya at 12:42 am on October 13th, 2009

I interpreted your comment as “OMG, we has to pay for subs?!!! omgwtfbbq!?!!?!”

• October 13, 2009 at 4:05 amRei

*o* my number one anticipation has not been a let down, woo

• October 13, 2009 at 4:27 amEnglish Dubbed Anime

Awesome. The little drill dude reminds me of the drill dude from Rave Master. Any relation there?

• October 13, 2009 at 4:36 amShinigamiJr.

ok to clear things up. Rave Master and Fairy Tail are both done by manga artist or w/e Hiro Mashima. The “drill dude,” Plue, is somewhat his mascot, like Pandaman to Oda and the guy with the Gas mask for Akira Toriyama. So basically he threw Plue in Rave master and Fairy Tail.

• October 13, 2009 at 5:05 amyuuji

the animation wasn’t quite as good as expected but i’ll watch a few more episodes to see where it goes..or i am just gonna read the manga.

• October 13, 2009 at 5:21 amFreya

@Neo_NMO

Yeah basically. Free anime ftw.

And omg….Happy’s VA is soooo bad. No joke. BAD.

• October 13, 2009 at 5:51 amahelo

ahh fairy tail!!!
    btw i like how kugi rie voices happy.
    hope the quality becomes better in the future episodes.

• October 13, 2009 at 6:36 amnya~~

the great Fairy Tail has become the Faily Tail

• October 13, 2009 at 6:57 amStefan

Not surprised in the slightest that this turned out to be the definition of average.

• October 13, 2009 at 7:52 am7

average.

sucky animation but I’ll still watch it anyway.

• October 13, 2009 at 7:59 amNeo_NMO

@Freya – except for the minor fact that it’s not “free” but “illegal”, see the difference? It’s the same as downloading music that you didn’t buy.

• October 13, 2009 at 8:07 amNightflame

omg… i expected something great… but the quality of the animation is even worse than the first season of one piece, or so i remember… i really hope it’s getting better in this aspect, because i just love the manga.
    another bad point would be the op/ed… like been said, it was just “meh”…

• October 13, 2009 at 9:53 amvend

WTF did they do to Sieglein in the opening? Animation quality isn’t just bad, it’s not even following the manga.

Versus:

Lame.

• October 13, 2009 at 10:21 amblinx01

Everyone has summed it up, average episode really.
    Saying that, the likes of One Piece, Naruto and Bleach all started out the same; sucky animation, cheesy one-off bad guy etc.
    Hopefully this will follow their tradition of getting better with each episode.
    As for the VA’s, I loved them, especially Aya as Lucy. Just gave the character so much life. Didn’t like that fake Salamander guy though with the ‘Engrish’ attack names.
    Anyway, it’s not what everyone expected, but it’s one to keep an eye on.

• October 13, 2009 at 10:44 amZero

it was okay… but the animation production was kinda crap, like the manga’s first chapter was really good and so I found it interesting cause the drawings were really good.

But if the animation is going to be bad then no one is going to watch it.

Overall its alrite but it could be better.

• October 13, 2009 at 11:07 amstarss

At least the first episode alone looks better than anything in Groove Adventure RAVE! :O

• October 13, 2009 at 11:53 ammlh43

Wow, Lucy’s voice actress is terrible

• October 13, 2009 at 12:02 pmMark

I think some people just have overly fond view of the manga. The drawings aren’t much/any better than in this episode. Look at the girl’s face on this page, panel 3:

Just like with One Piece, the author of this manga isn’t that great with proportions.

• October 13, 2009 at 1:52 pmkkkkkkkkk

It’s too similar to OP. However, they are two different mangakas so yeah.

Natsu’s voice isn’t what I expected. Hirano Aya as Lucy is meh. Happy sucks. I’m not happy about him at all. Expecting more awesomeness, even though

• October 13, 2009 at 2:02 pmdivine

Freya at 5:21 am on October 13th, 2009
    @Neo_NMO
    Yeah basically. Free anime ftw.

I responded to a similar remark in my 11eyes post, but thought I’d repost it here since this is more recent.

Objectively speaking, at $5 a month, it’s less than you’d expect to pay for a specialty cable TV channel (which it basically is), plus it gives money back to the anime industry in Japan. This of course doesn’t even take into account the time/money spent to get proper subtitles out in a timely manner (often within 24 hours of airing in Japan).

While I’m sure everyone appreciates the efforts of the fansub community, it’s hard to say that donating to them (often in tens to hundreds of dollars at a time) is getting your money to those who actually deserve it. Keep in mind that this is in light of a struggling anime industry right now. If it goes under, that means no more anime for anyone.

That said, I’m not trying to be “pro-Crunchyroll” here or anything. I’m just trying to find out why people hate the service they’re providing so much, especially when it’s free if you’re willing to wait a week. I don’t think the argument, “but I can get a bootleg copy for free” holds a lot of weight. The video game industry is no different. You can just as easily download copied games for free for various systems/handhelds, but then do you hate on the stores that sell the real games and take a cut of the profits?

At anime conventions, some fansubbers claimed that they do what they do because there are no good alternatives for fans — paid or otherwise. Technically, now there is one but some people aren’t willing to pay for it, even though it’s like $0.17/day. However, you’ll probably notice that a lot of fansub groups won’t bother with shows that are simulcasted because it’s redundant, meaning that they acknowledge there’s an alternative out there for you.

Just some food for thought.

• October 13, 2009 at 2:07 pmAnonymooo

This is Diet One Piece, but that’s not a bad thing at all. And if Omni can handle Bleach in all its inconsistent glory, then I’m sure this can hold him for a while.

• October 13, 2009 at 2:58 pmBEE

@e2lie Plue is a recurring character on the manga and will be on the anime. There is also another Rave Master char. on Fairy Tail, the lightning guy whom I forgot his name. LOL

• October 13, 2009 at 5:10 pmFullMetalQAF

I’m not a big fan of the character designs but I adore the OP and ED Songs. XD

• October 13, 2009 at 5:47 pmSacchi

It looks like if they put Nagi in the body of a cat.

Too annoying…

• October 13, 2009 at 5:58 pmCornerBoyz

Fairy Tail has a lot of potential the problem with series like this is that at some point they become inconsistent i just hope they can prove me wrong though

• October 13, 2009 at 6:46 pmKaisos

Aya Hirano made my ears bleed.

Never again.

• October 13, 2009 at 7:03 pmFairy Tale Episodes

Awesome >:O lol gotta watch this series and fuck crunchy roll D:<

• October 13, 2009 at 7:11 pmsean

you really didnt like happy’s voice? i thot it was a good and a change from the everyday girly voices that all sound the same in different animes. its similar to her voice from gintama and its supposed to be child like which i think fits happy very well its just not cute or feminine and i think thats fine. however i felt that lucy’s voice didnt fit her role very well but ive never let someones voice stop me from watching an anime and im excited for the battles that ive seen in the manga so im going to continue to follow this one

• October 13, 2009 at 7:16 pmGreegga

@koager
    Yeah you’re right, OP and FT are made by different authors, however, the difference between the FT manga and Anime is extremely obvious. First is the kind of drawing, I prefer manga one, secondly, the anime was made thinking in Yu-GI-OH… a bullshit piece of ass full of shit and loaded of fuck anime for kids.

FT just died last night and you know it.

• October 13, 2009 at 7:16 pmFairy Tail Episodes

wooop love it :D

• October 13, 2009 at 7:39 pmLance

Of course Plue apears in the manga!!!!! it’s Lucy’s Stellar spirit pet

• October 13, 2009 at 10:45 pmRuddor

the episode wasn’t bad, but it could have been better.
    I think we’re all in agreement; Happy’s voice sucked. I also think they’re playing too much on his cuteness factor. I didn’t really think of him as a cute type. i liked him a lot more in the manga. let’s just hope that the other eps turn out to be better.

• October 13, 2009 at 11:53 pmSeinime

Natsu wasn’t meant to be cool. Happy’s voice sucked too.

• October 14, 2009 at 1:07 amSOSAnimeBoy

Happy’s proportions in the manga were totally different. Bigger head and smaller limbs. It was done on purpose to enhance the cuteness and the impossibility of his existence. Now he looks like a kitten version of Tom from Tom & Jerry. And I don’t even want to start on my disappointment with the animation and charac design. Oh man I was so looking forward to this but now I’m probably going to drop it.

• October 14, 2009 at 5:00 amblues

The animation for this is even uglier than Rave Master. I bet it lasts about as long.

• October 14, 2009 at 7:16 amDearka Elsman

I felt that Tetsuya Kakihara voice exactly fit Natsu and it also reminded me of Simon from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. But I felt that Rie Kugimiya voice also exactly fit the cute Happy since its a cheerful talking cat

• October 14, 2009 at 9:21 amSplash

I love all the people that bitch and complain about the minutest details in an anime and say they are gonna give them up because the voice is slightly off from what they expected or the characters head was too big and its different from tyhe manga. But next week they are back with more negative comments. If you dont like something stop watching it and go find something you like. I love watching anime and seeing as I dont pay for it I figure “its all good” and watch the ones I like and don’t watch the ones I dont like (I dropped Miracle Train and White Album after watching the 1st one of each in this new season).

• October 14, 2009 at 10:15 amAbd Al-Azrad

I really don’t see what everyone’s problem with the seiyū is. She wasn’t horribly bad or anything. And in regards to how she sounds, her voice was somewhat realistic rather than try and sound like a 9 year old with sex appeal (aka 70% of female anime characters) or a 30 year old in a young girl’s body (aka the other 29%). Maybe you should listen to someone that age talk for a few minutes.

But the style isn’t really all that different from the original manga, and the first episode follows the first chapter faithfully, and the only thing changed beyond small dialogue edits is the omission of the wraparound scene involving (what looks like) a mage’s council.

Design is similar in concept, though with small changes. If you think the changes are glaring, all you’re doing is being an elitist prick about it. Things like Lucy’s regular clothing, and a couple details here and there might be edited a little. And why the hell not? People love Dragon Ball Z, but it still featured a few altered character designs that deviated from the manga. Same with Bleach and Naruto, not everything is 100% the same.

But it’s also only episode one. If you’re gonna drop something based on episode one, then maybe it’s for the best, because you obviously don’t appreciate it. Honestly, should the artists have bought stencils or something just to draw things exactly the same to appease you? Get over yourselves.

• October 14, 2009 at 12:26 pmStuff

Good thing I didn’t read the manga. Now I got nothing to complain about and can enjoy this series for what it is.

• October 14, 2009 at 12:40 pmjoshua019

I dont like the quality of the animation…. Another great story agian is distroyed…
    if the quality of the animation is similar to full metal alchemist then it wud be defferent

• October 14, 2009 at 1:55 pmSissy

Well, there’s Nogisaka Haruka for Mondays…
    Still…I’m having flashbacks of Groove Adventure Rave regarding quality animation….

• October 14, 2009 at 2:34 pmdivine

Sissy:
    Omni laughed at me when I said that about Nogizaka Haruka. >_>

• October 15, 2009 at 2:23 amRave

Griffon Is in there too and an another Pink.
    Miltz is Obverse of 1000 jewel money note.
    Characters From Rave.

• October 16, 2009 at 6:13 pmHal

I won’t leave it at bad remarks just yet because I still have high hopes for the series-particularly when it starts reaching the important big battles. The voices are not at all bad, probably will get easier to adjust to after a while too, and the opening I thought was actually a good way to open the show too. All in all I’m just glad that this epic series has got it’s foot in the spotlight now.

• October 20, 2009 at 11:03 amgrey

the next episode is here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    super cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• November 21, 2009 at 7:33 amanimeaddict1068

LOL! Fairy tail!!! ^o^ Love the manga!!