Durarara!! – 17 »« Durarara!! – 15

Durarara!!   16   28 Durarara!!   16   29 Durarara!!   16   30
Durarara!!   16   31 Durarara!!   16   32 Durarara!!   16   33
Durarara!!   16   34 Durarara!!   16   35 Durarara!!   16   36
Durarara!!   16   37 Durarara!!   16   38 Durarara!!   16   39

「相思相愛」 (Soushi Souai)
“Mutual Love”

Despite how much the story’s been leading us towards an ultimate Ikebukuro showdown involving Dollars, the Yellow Scarves, and the Slashers with Mikado, Masaomi, and Anri leading each of them, I was really hoping it wouldn’t come to that in Anri’s case. For the most part, she’s been the only character that’s portrayed as somewhat helpless and I was intrigued about her for that very reason. Evidently, that wouldn’t have made her the key character that she’s supposed to be, but hey, I like hearing Hanazawa Kana in those type of roles. As such, when Niekawa Haruna (Nakahara Mai) made her first vocal appearance in the series at Anri’s doorstep and later self-proclaimed herself as the Saika “mother” who’s giving birth to all the Slashers around the city, I was somewhat relieved that Anri wasn’t the root cause. Of course, that only served as a fake-out for the revelation that Anri is in fact the real Saika, who expresses her “love” for humanity through her children because she’s not able to herself.

Quite honestly, I find it bit jarring to have all of that explained in one go via Shinra this episode, so I figure all I really needed to take away from it is that we have a psychotic spirit of sorts that possessed Anri five years ago that resulted in the death of her parents, and now it’s spreading itself like a parasite across Ikebukuro after she’s suppressed it all this time. As a result, Haruna ends up being the one to misguide as from the very beginning with her creepy stalker-like obsession with Nasujima Takashi. You would think that he’d learn to stop sexually harassing girls after it netted him a crazy one in Haruna, but I guess his perversion did help tie in the whole Saika thing to Anri. Surprisingly enough, this Slashers arc also developed Shizuo’s character a bit further. I can’t say I’m totally convinced that having a swarm of deranged people wielding knives and saying they want to possess you for your strength is what it would take for someone to accept their inhuman-like ability, but I can’t really say I understand Shizuo’s mindset all that much either. :)

Anyway, I love the direction this is heading with the big cliffhanger showing Anri not bleeding from a wound, pulling out the real cursed blade, and revealing her own glowing red eyes, but I also got a good laugh out of Erika’s “boys love” remark about Izaya and Shizuo, as well as Izaya saying he would’ve dropped a meteor on Shizuo’s house long ago if he could predict Celty barging in to stop their fight. Humor aside, next week should be crazy fun to watch as Shizuo takes the entire swarm of Slashers head on.

Durarara!!   16   Preview 01 Durarara!!   16   Preview 02 Durarara!!   16   Preview 03

April 30, 2010 at 3:20 pm
  • April 30, 2010 at 3:29 pmGermanguy

Oh my, Darker then Black 3?….

• April 30, 2010 at 3:31 pmLani

It’s starting to get even MORE exciting!! XD I love this show!! =)

• April 30, 2010 at 3:34 pmkuro341

First!!!!!!!!!!

But I was sorta expecting that Anri will turn out like she did, but not quite this.
    Cant wait to watch it!!!!!!!!1

• April 30, 2010 at 3:35 pmkuro341

my bad, i was not first

• April 30, 2010 at 4:55 pmTehJawknee

This is why you don’t declare yourself first. It makes you look like a baka. :D

• April 30, 2010 at 3:35 pmgunpla

EPIC

• April 30, 2010 at 3:38 pmXrtear

And Shizaya is proven.XD

• April 30, 2010 at 3:43 pmCherubium

Love the epic revelation the PAWN on Haruna’s face

• April 30, 2010 at 3:44 pmamado

from what I watched, they followed the novel even the part of erika thinking shizuo likes izaya though it wasn’t exactly what happened in the novels, it was pretty good since I spoiled myself a lot.

• April 30, 2010 at 3:48 pmomega366

Love Haruna, crazy bitches are the best.

• April 30, 2010 at 4:19 pmRockmanshii

I also thought that there would be a showdown between the yellow scarves and the dollars and all.But what happened is better than what I hoped for.
    I laughed at the BL joke but a lot more at the meteor joke.At first when Anri blocked the blade I thought she was a cyborg and she was about to shoot a missile from her elbow to Haruna’s face lol.But then I saw her pulling the blade and went ooo shit.Aaaargh and then they cut Shizuo and saved the people-throwing action for next episode maaan I can’t wait I love this show.

• April 30, 2010 at 4:43 pmRansom

This part:

I’d like to know what the creators mean by that…Nasujima Takashi…
    Was he there because he was sexually harassing her?
    Was he there because Anri was actually in some kind of relationship with him?
    Why did he showed up at that time? They leave the question open.

If some has read the novel I’d like them to explain me this. I think that Anri is the mentally unestable type that might be willing to do anything or “depend” on anyone in order to find herself some piece, so it would not surprise me if the thing about her relation with the profesor and her seducing people could be true.

• April 30, 2010 at 4:49 pmamado

ah thats easy..

izaya sent him there

• April 30, 2010 at 5:14 pmRansom

jaja…

Yeah, just like Celty and the meteor on Shizuo’s home

• April 30, 2010 at 5:33 pmamado

no really, thats what happened.
        ive read some parts of the novel so dont doubt my words.
        unless I say im kidding.

• April 30, 2010 at 6:45 pmdivine

If you’re pulling information from the novels, then please consider using spoiler tags. Thanks.

• April 30, 2010 at 6:51 pmRansom

Sorry, I tought you were kidding before. Thanks for clarifying that.

Nevertheless, I still think that so far Anri hasn’t had the strongest personality, too weak-willed. Hope the story fix that in the future and gives her some determination.

• April 30, 2010 at 7:04 pmamado

sorry, forgot it wasnt mentioned yet.

• April 30, 2010 at 4:47 pmRansom

Sorry, I made a typo in my previous comment, I was saying she could depend on anyone to find some “peace”… As in tranquility.

• April 30, 2010 at 4:57 pmTehJawknee

This show is so full of win, I can’t wait for the next episode. This episode in particular makes me want to read the novels, but I don’t want to spoil myself (…yet).

• April 30, 2010 at 5:09 pmpuri

This episode is just too awesome!! I love the scene when Anri is pulling out the real saika, she looks like she’s about to kick some ass!! can’t wait for the next episode!! XD

• May 1, 2010 at 9:01 amSin1505

I’m fully with you on that one!!

• April 30, 2010 at 5:40 pmamado

some info on what’s izaya’s position
    nothing major about this spoiler since the anime will cover vol.1-3 for now.

• April 30, 2010 at 6:41 pmN0216332

ew, yandere… do not want…..and, i on the other hand was pretty statisfy with the fact that anri is the original saika :/ probably just because i dont want her to turn derange

• April 30, 2010 at 7:16 pmakani

Durarara!! has been slowing down a bit with the last fewe episodes but then it popped up again with an episode full of so much win. I was really glad they fit in the Erika being a fujoshi and the “If I could have planned for Celty randomly appearing here, I’d have dropped a meteor on your house already.” line, and Anri being the original Saika was revealed very well.

Also, from the looks of it, Saika probably possessed her parents and then they tried to kill her with it, which resulted in Anri possessing the sword and killing them instead. Maybe Anri keeps her emotions to a minimum to keep Saika from taking over, and that’s why she could hold it in?

• April 30, 2010 at 7:56 pmYyi

Saika reminds me of the Higurashi series, being possessed by a foreign source (in this case a sword) and duking it out on others due to uncontrollable emotions.

How the sword managed to get to Anri’s hands is yet another mystery. I doubt it’ll be as concidental as her finding it from the rubbish bin since the previous owners were Shingen and Izaya after all. (Then again, why weren’t they possessed by it when they used it on Celty…hmmm…)

• April 30, 2010 at 8:52 pmDC/AC

I guess Saika can “love” most people but obviously there are some others whom she can’t.
      Anri doesn’t seem to be particularly possessed or ruled by Saika probably because she can’t love anybody. She can’t love Saika and Saika can’t make her feel she needs to love someone else, in Saika’s way or not. She seems like just living with Saika, sorta like sharing an apartment with someone.
      Shingen, with his mad scientist type personality, could be one of them too. Saika might have had no way to make him her lover.

• April 30, 2010 at 11:22 pmamado

from what I know, izaya never had saika, he just knows about it(he is an informant).

• April 30, 2010 at 10:54 pmlvlln

I definitely loved Kana Hanazawa’s badass Anri. With Tenshi and Black Rock Shooter, being part blade seems to be a common theme.

And who better to play Haruna than Mai Nakahara, who can play that deranged psychotic with a knife just so well (see: Ryuugu Rena).

• April 30, 2010 at 11:28 pmamado

hah, forgot to mention this:
    the time line of durarara is 2002-2003 but how can they have a knife from 2009?

• May 1, 2010 at 8:48 pmDC/AC

No matter how the novel sets its time line, this anime series is a story of THIS year.

• May 1, 2010 at 12:34 amHagiri

does anri’s uniform have shana’s cloak ability in storing saika?
    or can anri can make a part or the whole of saika materialize at will?

• May 1, 2010 at 12:48 amamado

funny you mention that:

• May 3, 2010 at 4:41 pmMikiya

Hey amado, just a question: What would make you think she would pull Saika out of her stomach of all places?

• May 4, 2010 at 12:39 amamado

ill answer with a question
        where would a katana fit in a girls body?

• May 1, 2010 at 4:27 amSilvfer

well i think anri’s arm was shielded by the sword and not because she is a cybor or somthing like that.

• May 1, 2010 at 6:39 amasdf

yay izayaxshizuo otp <3

• May 1, 2010 at 7:37 amFirefly

Well although I manage to avoid most of the spoilers, seeing the only slasher using a sword uptil now back in EP5 kinda ruined the big reveal for me, that and I was hoping Anri would be the new Rrailtracer type person.

I guess I understand why Haruna was following Nasujima and not attacking him now, but why does Anri feel the need to keep rescuing him? Wonder how Anri and Celty will get along if she finds out that she willing tried to “decapatate” her before?

Anyone think Izaya and Saika would make a great pair? They have so much in common, she’s definitely better than that knife he has now.

• May 1, 2010 at 11:25 amakani

It’s funny how you mention that. At first I thought Izaya had Saika since they both love humans, but then it also kinda makes sense if Anri has it. Seeing Izaya wield Saika would be very cool though, because if he did have it it could have been a possible reason for his personality.

• May 1, 2010 at 3:01 pmamado

funny you should mention that

its just a teaser

• May 1, 2010 at 11:42 amJC

So the teacher’s a regular visitor to Anri’s place?

• May 1, 2010 at 3:15 pmamado

nope, it was just a coincidence he showed up at that time

read my comment/s above for the answer.

• May 1, 2010 at 2:29 pmAndy

ya shit is going down now
    everything is about to come together

• May 1, 2010 at 5:38 pmSatoida

Ahhh this is so cool!! <3

And amado, shhh… you're tempting me to read spoilers!! XD

• May 1, 2010 at 5:52 pmRuzen

I knew it! Anri’s a Contractor! And her renumeration is to spill her enemy’s blood! XD

Erika is so effin adorable, haha. Not surprising she’d be into yaio and shipping Shizuo X Izaya together!

• May 1, 2010 at 6:02 pmimerik

Okay so was that the teacher that Celty was roughing up in episode 5? Is that why Anri attacked her?

• May 1, 2010 at 6:35 pmKarmafan

I so wanted to see Anri and Mikado become a couple. Looks like she is too broken for that. Too bad cause he really likes her.

• May 1, 2010 at 7:55 pmSatoida

I know… it’d be so nice for the both of them if they did get together. XD

• May 2, 2010 at 12:47 amamado

here’s some proof for that pairing:
      its the cover of vol. 5
      not a spoiler now that we know anri has saika so dont worry about the being spoiled by the pic
      she and mikado are wielding their weapon of choice.

• May 1, 2010 at 9:40 pmBrownSound

Still not sure whats happening with Mikado’s best friend whose name oddly escapes me at the moment. What I mean is, that girl he visit’s in the hospital who has some sort of relation with Izaya.

• May 2, 2010 at 10:50 amLinkSoul

Any ROmance in this ANIME!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE TELL ME!
    PLEASE TELL ME!
    PLEASE TELL ME!

• May 2, 2010 at 4:29 pmamado

yep there is romance
      ranging from twisted love to unrequited love.
      so far only celtyXshinra is the successful couple.

• May 2, 2010 at 1:43 pmAein

Meh I always knew that Anri was Saika… ever since those two were shown together in the same episode.

• May 2, 2010 at 9:04 pmLeon ni

zombie. ZOMBIES!! Zombies. ZOMBIESSSSSSSSSS!!1!!!!

• May 3, 2010 at 6:03 amender650

Finally got around to watching the episode- it was another great episode btw the screenshots of the episode look great.

• May 3, 2010 at 4:41 pmb0g3l

Another WTF-ing episode! Good stuffs!

• May 4, 2010 at 6:21 amahelo

oh wow. all three assetts are ruled by anri, mikado, and masaomi. Hell I didnt predict that even though it was obvious

• May 5, 2010 at 8:18 amU238Willy

So who thinks the obvious? I’m not reading the novels but when the “head” of the Yellow Scarves says, “Don’t get involved with Izaya”…. isn’t that just stating the obvious? Like classmates wondering who started the Dollars, while the founder stood right next to them and said nothing.

Izaya has to be the head of the Yellow Scarves… it would also tie into his plans for the head and dreams of Valhalla.

• May 5, 2010 at 11:29 amFlamingYu

Holy…Anri turning into Uchiha Sasuke?