Girls Dead Monster – Day Game PV (Angel Beats!) »« Angel Beats! OP – Complication (Durarara!! OP2 Parody)

Angel Beats! – 13 (END)

Angel Beats!   13   28 Angel Beats!   13   29 Angel Beats!   13   30
Angel Beats!   13   31 Angel Beats!   13   32 Angel Beats!   13   33
Angel Beats!   13   34 Angel Beats!   13   35 Angel Beats!   13   36
Angel Beats!   13   37 Angel Beats!   13   38 Angel Beats!   13   39
Angel Beats!   13   40 Angel Beats!   13   41 Angel Beats!   13   42

「Graduation」

The graduation ceremony was down to the five shown in the preview last time, but that didn’t take away from the bittersweetness of it all. Surprisingly, I managed to hold the waterworks back this entire finale, though I felt a little of it coming on during Otonashi’s valedictorian speech. Leading up to that, Yuri’s new-found girlish tsundere self and Kanade’s excitement over having her first graduation ceremony was so lighthearted that I found it difficult to feel sorry about everyone choosing to disappear. The only thing I was sad about was seeing all of this come to an end after all the laughs and tears this series brought every step of the way. I was expecting some sort of a twist before this was all said and done however, and felt the episode’s progression was doing a good job of trying to divert the viewer’s attention away from that — something I like to refer to as the “Maeda Jun teary-eyed sneak attack”.

Before getting there, it was cute seeing Yuri’s reaction to Hinata telling her she’s cute that even had Kanade chuckling about it. Then there was the school/SSS song prepared by Kanade with mapo tofu lyrics that Hinata flipped out about over how it managed to pass any sort of screening, followed by Naoi getting on his case for singing out of tune with everyone for the Aogeba Toutoshi graduation song. In other words, even though this was supposed to be a bittersweet graduation, the laughs and quirkiness were still plentiful like the series has become renowned for. Of course, there were still those near tear-inducing moments from the graduation diplomas prepared by Kanade, where Yuri’s one commended her ability to give it her all for the sake of everyone. She looked like she was on the verge of tears upon reading that, so I felt pretty much the same after seeing everything she’s gone through. Along the same lines, surprising Hinata with a diploma after he lost rock-paper-scissors and had to take on the principal role of handing them out was something I had faith in Otonashi doing. I would’ve really liked to read what sort of praises were written on the others’ diplomas as well, but everyone’s last words before departing more or less helped fill the void of emotions that would’ve developed from doing so.

In typical Naoi style, he had to cast off going first as not wanting to see other people’s teary-eyed faces, before doing so himself in front of Otonashi. I was surprised to see Yuri volunteer to go next, though I still feel that her sudden change of heart towards Kanade in the last couple of episodes has been a tad bit forced. In any case, it was still nice to see her apologize for attacking Kanade all this time and tell her how she wishes she got to spend more time together before giving her a hug and saying farewell. The instrumental version of “Brave Song” was absolutely beautiful for that scene and had me pretty choked up inside watching it play out. Hinata of course wouldn’t let things go out on a somewhat depressing note, so it was uplifting to hear him and Otonashi part ways in style. With only Otonashi and Kanade remaining, the idea that myself and various other viewers had about Otonashi choosing to remain in this world to help other people move on made headway here. Quite honestly, it wouldn’t have been the ending I would’ve liked to see, but I didn’t rule out the possibility either. Otonashi’s confession to Kanade and desire to remain together in this world forever reminded me of the bug the developer of the Angel Player system tried to amend, so I’m glad that both of them did end up moving on like they should.

However, what I totally wasn’t expecting was Kanade revealing that she was the girl who received his heart from a transplant and prolonged her life because of it. As it turns out, the rest of Otonashi’s memories shown in episode nine came about because he had an opportunity to reconnect with his heart at Kanade’s bedside. Her reason for staying in this afterworld was in hopes of running into the person who selflessly gave her a renewed life — if only for a while longer — and thank him for that, which she realized was Otonashi because he doesn’t have a heart now. In light of that and his confession, my feelings go out to Otonashi for giving Kanade the means to move on in that heartfelt scene despite how much he didn’t want to part ways with her, which was beautifully done with a kuruta sung version of “Ichiban no Takaramono” playing in the background and extending right through the credits.

Much to my pleasant surprise, the ending that I figured would’ve been most fitting in this series proved to be true, as the new Otonashi is reunited with Kanade after overhearing her humming Iwasawa’s “My Song”. Ever since the idea of moving on changed for the better in recent episodes, this is honestly the only way I figure would’ve given us a happy ending. All I can hope is that Yuri, Hinata, and Yui were reunited as well in their newly reincarnated lives, but it’s good to know that Otonashi and Kanade have been.

Notes:
* At two episodes per DVD/BD release, the seventh volume looks like it’ll include an extra fourteenth one.

ED and Epilogue

Angel Beats!   13   43 Angel Beats!   13   44 Angel Beats!   13   45
Angel Beats!   13   46 Angel Beats!   13   47 Angel Beats!   13   48

Final Impressions:

Back in the Spring 2010 Preview when I was recommending this series to all audiences, I used the line “Key and P.A. Works” as the main reason. Incidentally, “Key” is simply a reference to Maeda Jun‘s renowned ability to write moving stories and compose beautiful music as we’re reminded of again here in Angel Beats. Having seen the full series now, I think it’s safe to say that he delivered. The tone for the series was set ever since the second episode, where things got unbelievably funnier than every other comedy airing yet managed to mix in some drama through Yuri’s past, giving it a unique flair that I immediately took notice to. While some people may feel the emphasis on the humor is too prominent a lot of the times, I find that it made the characters more amiable and easier to get attached to (e.g. the TK phenomenon), plus showcased the enjoyable times they spent together — the last of which is one of the key aspects of the overall story.

I never felt that this series was as moving as CLANNAD or Kanon, but that was likely due to thirteen episodes being insufficient for telling the story that Jun had written. It was a problem identified when he met with director Kishi Seiji and the P.A. Works’ production staff, which forced them to supplement the story through other mediums such as prequel manga. However, in light of the challenges they faced from the time constraint, I feel that they’ve done an impeccable job putting together an original series that’s funny and moving at the same time. Looking back, it puts a new perspective on the work they put into producing this series, as seen in one of the promotion videos I included in the preview. That said, I do feel that the way the series jumped around to new focuses and new “final bosses” may have came off a bit too convenient way to keep the viewer guessing on the direction of the series, but the same can be said about CODE GEASS and all the twists it had for what seemed like the sake of having a twist.

There are clearly some holes in the plot of Angel Beats as well — which may or may not be due to its inability to spend time to explain things better — but it’s been a fairly smooth ride most of the way through for me. Sure, if you want to pick it apart under a fine microscope just because the series is popular, you could probably do so, but that still doesn’t take away from the fact that this is an awesome series that a lot of people enjoyed and will continue to enjoy. I think the main disappointment will stem from how this wasn’t a two-cour series, but I actually love how it was short and sweet in its thirteen episode format. I can’t wait to see what Maeda Jun’s next original piece of work is and hear whatever new songs he composes as well. Overall, it’s just as I said three months ago: This is a series that’s safe to recommend to all audiences, so if you’ve been living under a rock and avoiding it for the past three months, it’s really time to go check it out!

June 25, 2010 at 3:10 pm
  • June 26, 2010 at 5:15 amKinny Riddle

Oops, I totally didn’t notice it was 1 acoustic and 4 electric. So my bad.

• June 26, 2010 at 1:14 pmdivine

I’m not sure if you were alluding to this then, but Iwasawa used the electric guitar for Girls Dead Monster performances and the acoustic one was her precious keepsake, so two of those were hers.

• June 26, 2010 at 5:21 amasdf

best show this season by far@!!

• June 26, 2010 at 5:21 amamado

I got teary eyed this ep too, was still hoping for some yuriXhinata moment but there was some subtle moments, kanadeXyuzuru, the plot twist that she got yuzuru’s heart(both emotionally and physically) was great, sad that they parted but needed for an emotional scene but they did meet up again.

angel beats is definitely one of the best animes ive seen so far and I will miss it greatly.

• June 26, 2010 at 5:25 amEpani10

Man i love this anime the only thing that is was to short i began to see it 3-4 months ago when it started and i was fasinated, the music, the plot the characters everything I LOVE IT!!
    At first when i saw the ending i didnt understand it alot but after the second time i saw it got it XD.
    hope to be able to find another anime like this its my new objetive.
    if someone knows an anime like this please tell me.
    PD- sorry if i had mistakes in what i wrote i m still learning english.

• June 26, 2010 at 5:36 amSnicket

So ends another series. I was a bit cautious about this one after discovering that the same person wrote Canaan. (Since i’m not a fan of depressing drama animes and found Canaan to be a bit boring at times.) Though after seeing this entire series, i dismiss the thought of this being another one of those.

Though like may others have mentioned, a lot of holes remain in the story that may/ may not be answered. I’d like to think that if there was going to be an extra episode, they’d at least answer some of them.

• June 26, 2010 at 6:06 amThe17thNoah

I…I…I can’t stop crying!(T_T) I need to hug someone>< *sniff* I just had to be all alone when I watched this episode:'(

• June 26, 2010 at 11:33 pmLiberta

Should have gotten a tub of ice cream as your “Buddy” XD

• June 26, 2010 at 6:09 ambabawaba

So thats why it was called “Angel Beats!”

• June 26, 2010 at 6:21 amYyi

While this series had its ups and downs, KEY sure knows how to end on the right note. Thanks for a touching ending!

• June 26, 2010 at 6:32 amJohnyboy

Well, since that world is a place for people to resolve their issues and move on, then it would make sense that Kanade and Otonoshi would be able to meet at the same time, or else Kanade would not be able to resolve her regret of not getting to thank the person that saved her.

Whichever, this was one of the few great shows this season. I cried like a baby.

• June 26, 2010 at 6:52 ammadamebin

maybe Otanashi is brought to this world because it’s Kanade’s unfulfilled wish?
    this series is a rollercoaster ride for me

• June 26, 2010 at 6:56 amOtaku-Kun

At first I was really doubtful of Angel Beats being good because it was so hyped!
    But Already after epsiode 1 I was astonished what great series Angel Beats must be.
    However I thought that there are a lot of Anime that started great but couldn’t keep the quality.
    However Angel Beats could not only keep the good Story and the awesome animations but also mixed comedy scenes perfect into the plot so that there was a natural flow of the series while being serious and a little melancholy at the same time!
    Even for expierenced Anime watchers I’m sure that the plot wasn’t easy to guess right.
    Also the end was quite great what I personally had worried the most because there are many good Anime but only a few have a satisfying end.

So all in all I have to say that Angel Beats is now my number 2 Anime!
    I even cried at the end and it wasn’t because I was sad that the series come to an end.
    It were tears of joy that every character found his happiness and got a second chance!

• June 26, 2010 at 7:31 amCroosboy

they are actually wearing the same necklace at the last scene.. when they have their new lives..

• June 26, 2010 at 7:42 amzmil

Angel Beats! RULES!!, I don’t know about K-ON!, K-ON! just,,,boring,,,K-ON! dont even have a guy character,,,what the heck!?..

• June 26, 2010 at 7:43 amGoWithDaFlow

Great series. And those with questions about how kanade reached earlier and blah blah blah. Dont think about it. Its 13 episodes for a reason. Just enjoy the ride the show gives and think of it as just music. Its a show to praise life and not one that supposed to let you think about it

• June 26, 2010 at 7:46 amoli

nearly cried :(

• June 26, 2010 at 8:23 amKewldude

Shed a few tears indeed. But what im really angry about is that the main character of every single one of Jun Maeda’s stories always and i repeat, always, falls in love and ends up with the ‘calm’ personalitied girls. (Angel, Nagisa, Ayu, Misuzu) >_< Why can't he ever choose one of the stronger and more assertive girls or tsunderes (Yes, i prefer kyou anyday, even more than tomoyo) but alas, his stories are good… o well can't help it!

• June 26, 2010 at 8:54 amDestiny

I 100% agree! I love Jun Maeda’s work, but I would love it even more if he did not have the main character fall in love with the same type of girl every time…

Not to mention, the girl always has something tragic happen to her.

• June 26, 2010 at 9:51 amKinny Riddle

Erm, how is Ayu defined as “calm”? What with all her “uguu” and acting dumbly all the time. :)

• June 26, 2010 at 9:45 pmProoof

“I would like to see a role-reversal where a strong girl is the main character, she falls for a guy, and something bad happens to HIM. :/”

Tomoyo After would fit that description; they might animate it sometime.

• June 26, 2010 at 8:29 amay ya ya ya ya

Awwwww Dec 22nd.7th DVD, 14th episode, that means January 2011 to watch it. I hope I am still alive at that time..Yup I have already put it in my Outlook calendar….

• June 26, 2010 at 8:50 amDestiny

I can’t believe Kanade never said “I love you too”. If I was confessing my love to someone and all they said was “Thank you” I would be really hurt! :(

• June 26, 2010 at 9:17 amSin1505

She more than loves him. She is forever grateful.

• June 26, 2010 at 10:14 amKaris

You’re a little off basis on that: Kanade wanted to say “Thank you” to the person who gave her a new heart, and Otonashi desperately wanted to hear those words from the person he loves. So I think that was a good enough reason for him to disappear afterward.

• June 26, 2010 at 12:45 pmDestiny

I am not really caught up on the details, he had reason enough to pass on without hearing it.

I just think it would have been nice if she would have at least said it right before she passed on (or somehow tied it in).

• June 26, 2010 at 9:30 amLaN

Great series. I definitely would have felt the ending more if it had been longer though. I didn’t really feel the YuriXKanade, but I suppose it was more about regretting what did not happen between them, rather than them missing each other. That was a nice notion in itself. Well, that was a great ride thanks a lot Divine!

• June 26, 2010 at 9:38 amKevz

wow!! the ending is also what I expected it to be, I’ll be really disappointed if those two stayed in that world.

• June 26, 2010 at 9:53 amKinny Riddle

If any of you guys can’t get enough of Girls Dead Monster, they’ll be doing a live tour around Japan.

I’m referring to their real life singer LiSa, who performs their songs, of course.

• June 26, 2010 at 12:11 pmRockmanshii

Wooah that’s cool I hope she sticks around in the music world for a long time time she’s great.Wish I could see one of her concerts *sigh*

• June 26, 2010 at 11:01 amakani

I see, that’s why it’s called Angel Beats!, because Otonashi gave Kanade her heart. It makes sense if Otonashi is a bug in the system.

Yes, this show definitely is great. Many people were disappointed by it and have criticised it, but I think it stands strongly on its own. You can’t compare it to Kanon, Air, or CLANNAD because they are different shows. The humor and drama in Angel Beats! is combined quite well.

There were some things unexplained, like how Kanade got the Angel Player program and who the creater of the program was, but I guess that’s not really important.

I think I started tearing up at about the time Naoi cried. I hope everyone else meets up in the real world and lives happily ever after. Now, to wait for the extra episode…

• June 26, 2010 at 11:03 amMrRei

the ending was a little boring.. not grand at all to me, but otherwise good. it was cute to see kanade and yuri getting along ^_^

on another unrelated note: I just read Code Geass Renya of the Dark.. and I can’t help to think this is Lelouch.. maybe…

• June 26, 2010 at 11:58 amqvnsq

that was FUCKING AWESOME

• June 26, 2010 at 12:12 pmNightflame

beatiful ending…

• June 26, 2010 at 12:14 pmKaris

Hey! The Girl’s Dead Monster “Keep the Beats” album is out now! Get it on Tokyo toshokan!

• June 26, 2010 at 2:50 pmgoldconker

Unfortunately it is a transcode from 160kbps to 320kbps. Sounds okay though, but definitely has some artifacts.

Proof with Shine Days:

From single, 320kbps transcoded from FLAC

This download:

The full version of Ichiban no Takaramono is amazing! As well as the full version of My Soul, Your Beats (I want the piano vs. rock remix please).

Girls Dead Monster version of Brave Song offers an interesting alternative take on the song. I like it.

Yui version of My Song has more energy due to the full band accompaniment. It’s really good, maybe a bit less sad than Iwasawa’s version. Still love both versions.

Some small changes in the album version of Little Braver. Extra lalalas around 3:50 . Both good still.

LiSA singing Crow Song and Alchemy is a bit jarring. I definitely hear some mistakes even without musical training. marina was better for these songs. At least LiSA puts in more energy.

Morning Dreamer is decent but doesn’t terribly stand out.

Run With Wolves has pretty good instrumentals that are full of energy but I don’t like the vocals at points as they are a bit staccato and jarring. Overall okay, detracted by the vocals.

23:50 is pretty solid. It has some weak points but overall is pretty good. I would put it on the same level as Little Braver and under Shine Days and Thousand Enemies.

Overall, a really awesome album, especially with the bonus tracks.

• June 26, 2010 at 1:01 pmZaku Fan

Now i get the urge to get the CD for Keep the Beats just for the song Ichiban no Takaramono..

• June 26, 2010 at 1:25 pmZaku Fan

Ugh, rewatching it, i noticed that Ichiban no Takaramono was sung by Karuta rather than Lisa this episode. Now i have to get both… orz

After rewatching the episode, i would like to say that Otonashi’s VA Hiroshi Kamiya does the lines with feelings of anguish very well, as touching as the lines he delivered as Macross F’s Mikhail character i would say.

• June 26, 2010 at 1:01 pmSilver

Haha, the series was disappointing at times but great at other times. Overall though, it was great and it was also really nice seeing Yuri and Kanade getting along. It’s so sad though seeing them slowly disappearing one by one… Naomi, then Yuri, then Hinata, then the Kande, and finally Otonashi.

I hope they all meet up with everyone and become friends again… lol, that includes “Christ”.

• June 26, 2010 at 2:37 pmkennyken

OMG!!!one of the bests i ever watched

thank goodness Otonashi didnt left before Kanade,remember?he said its his turn after Yuri,but Hinata stopped him,because if he did,Kanade might stay there alone(because her regret was not thanking him for the heart),not even a single NPC will stay with her,D:

• June 26, 2010 at 3:10 pmTenkou

Another excellent anime indeed that keeps me hoping for more content to read up on.Time to search for the manga series haha. I managed to laugh really hard at various scenes in the episodes, but the most distinctive factor of all at the end is still the heart-breaking twist of it all. The music is truly amazing as well, I am always happy to watch anime that have specialised songs embedded in their plots. And there’s SOO many comments! Haha. I was wondering till the end if Otonashi would become the new “bugged Angel Player” and continue to wait for the return of Kanade. Luckily he managed to fulfil his wishes in the end as well, which he mentioned before was to help Kanade to move on. I’m looking forward to the extra 14th episode as well, hopefully we will get to see everyone become reincarnated yet managed to come together as a group again. Thus ends another great anime. But there’s another season again! Looking forward to discovering new interesting anime again. Looking forward to the reviews at Random Curiosity again! Thanks for the hard work and continue to do so! =)

• June 26, 2010 at 3:21 pmdraksig

I think the fact that Kanade was humming Iwasawa’s song shows that at least she moved on and really achieved her dreams.

• June 26, 2010 at 4:09 pmEpani10

this anime almost made me cried and i havent cried in almost 5 years i was really surprised about that lol. one other thing why did the two of them had the same necklace in the last scene? does it have a special meaning?

• June 26, 2010 at 4:23 pmN0216332

supposedly otonashi came to this world last… yuri and kanade has been fighting for a while, right? So kanade is dead before otonashi, right? so how the hell did the organ reciever died before the organ donor ?

as the final impression ahs mentioned there are some holes, and this is probably one of them.. but isnt this too weird? :/

• June 26, 2010 at 6:07 pmMosswind

Kanade does not have to necessarily die before Otonashi in order for her to be there first. Remember, Otonashi even states in the episode that he was not a normal “death”. He had fulfilled his life before he died in the tunnel.

It would seem to me that Otonashi was lost and was either sent to the afterlife school or wound up there somewhere along the way. We aren’t ever given a timeframe to which we can connect time of death to time of arrival in the afterlife.

Here’s an Idea (with a capital I) that I would like to forward to you all. What if since he fulfilled his life and moved on but was drawn back into the afterlife school when Kanade died? Many religions believe that the afterlife is a place of waiting for reincarnation. Could it be that his soul was waiting to be reincarnated but was snapped back like a rubber band when his actual heart died? Kanade’s wish to thank her savior for giving her life (however much she got in before she passed away) could have brought him back. It is his heart, her wish. It’s not too much of a stretch of the imagination to believe this occurring. The author does love his miracles does he not?

Finally, I think that the last scene Show Spoiler ▼

• June 26, 2010 at 6:13 pmMagic~Hands

Great Ending… too good.

• June 26, 2010 at 6:49 pmamado

since angel beats is done, for now…

those who wanna read the manga: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/angel_beats_heaven_s_door/
    and 1st vol novel(not sure if there are others) : http://www.mediafire.com/angelbeatstrackzero

both are set around the time when the SSS were first formed and hinata’s the main char.
    just to remind the guys who didnt know/remember that there was a manga and novel.

• June 26, 2010 at 7:08 pmLOLicon

i really love this series. the ending was good in its way. AHHHH KANADE!!!!!!!!!!!!! so sad, damn so sad. :(((((((((((((

• June 26, 2010 at 7:48 pmJoseph Edward

Again it makes no sense since he dies -> he goes there -> if they managed to even get the heart to her she should havent been there
    AFTER he arrived.
    It makes no sense.

• June 26, 2010 at 7:51 pmLOLicon

KANADEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! so good of a series.

• June 26, 2010 at 9:46 pmshen

My thoughts on the series… I really enjoyed it even with its ups and downs plot wise. It has great no.. more like fantastic music as expected. I thought that the last episode was fitting and I pretty much could have guessed the happy ending.

Now this is a crazy thought/theory I had about Kanade/Otonashi.. What if.. and this is a big IF Kanade was acturally the reincarnation of Otonashi’s sister. I came to this err conclusion when I kinda jumped the gun on what Kanade said near the end. That she was waiting to say “thank you” much like how his sister always said thank you. This was before she said told him she was was the one that received his heart. Also if you remember in episode 9 the flashback scene where his sister mentioned the lack of a donor and in episode 7 where Otonashi says that he “lives” to hear the one he “loves” say thank you to him and that’s what motivated him to keep living. This though still wouldn’t explain why he arrived in the afterlife after Kanade. Anyways its just a theory like I said maybe I just feel that hacing it relate this his sister would make it more.. dramatic.. maybe instead of some random person that happened to receive his heart… and OMFG I just thought of something else to maybe support my theory as I am writing this.. that his sister ALWAYS wanted to go to school and make FRIENDS AND HAVE FUN…. WHOA.. am I thinking to much into this now? anyways feel free to discuss XD

• June 26, 2010 at 9:49 pmKaris

It would seems people ask questions, but don’t bother to read the recent blogs. I stumbled across a review of Angel Beats, and I’m pretty sure it explains it:

This is a series I’ll never forget; touching, and heartbreaking.

• June 26, 2010 at 10:42 pmrosmant

i don’t get it. so if it’s a loop, then it means Otonashi wasn’t reincarnated and the last scene is just wishful thinking?

• June 26, 2010 at 11:48 pmLiberta

Thanks for providing that link =) The concept of Otonashi being the creator of Angel Player as well as the reason why Kanade was in the afterlife before Otonashi gave me a broader way of thinking : )

• June 26, 2010 at 11:49 pmMosswind

I so called this. See my post above. ^_^. Thanks Karis for sending a link to back up my own thoughts on the ending. It helped alot.

• June 26, 2010 at 10:39 pmrosmant

did anyone noticed that something star-like was going up towards the sky before the scene changes into the group picture of the SSS?

• June 26, 2010 at 10:53 pmRika

I like to guess that’s how Otonashi disappears…just speculating.

• June 26, 2010 at 11:11 pmJel

Wow… this ending it- It made me cry. Key has set the bar for great anime.

• June 26, 2010 at 11:42 pmIse

Didn’t like the last episode at all, everything was done awkward and rushed.

As for me, I won’t be recommending this to my friends, after seeing the ending.

• June 27, 2010 at 12:44 amamado

“* Hearing that Takamatsu recovered from being an NPC and moved on as well felt like a bit of a cop out though.”
    its possible, remember what happened to yuri in ep 12, she recovered back due to her strong emotions about life.

• June 27, 2010 at 12:55 amVsin

Heh, totally called The World Ends With Otonashi.

Even for a condensed series, I think Angel Beats tried to do just a bit too much with what they had. Still, one of the better shows I’ve watched.

• June 27, 2010 at 3:45 amsupercell

This was a GREAT ride. I never expected that I would be moved like this, it was quite a tear jerker if you asked me especially the final scenes. I wish they showed that everyone reunited in their new lives. Lot of loopholes and unanswered questions, but still it was a really great anime.

• June 27, 2010 at 9:52 amLOLicon

best one this seasons :(

• June 27, 2010 at 5:10 pmRomanRazor

There were a few too many questions left hanging at the end for my liking. The circumstances regarding Yuri’s family a major one…

…I’d really like an answer to that, and whether it had anything to do with her later death (because we know she didn’t kill herself).

• June 27, 2010 at 5:27 pmFirseal

I just… as a series I like it only if I don’t think about it. Too many of the underlying themes are terrible to me, and not in the ‘aw’ way but the ‘ugh’ way. A Purgatory where the point isn’t to move on to something better but to die, be dismantled, and sent back to ‘go’ (birth, apparently). I know that cyclical afterlives aren’t really my thing but this was all horribly depressing, and the up sides evaporated shortly after the best choice for the protagonist to make was presented as helping others to move on, yet the methodology he used would, in other series, be the same as betraying and then murdering his friends.

Later developments proved to only worsen my opinions. Particularly the resolution that emptying out even such a terrible afterlife would be better than any other alternative. Literally any other alternative. The underpinnings of this world I am presented with are abhorent to me, so much so that despite the enjoyment – which, I admit, was great – of the rest paled.

I can see how others liked Angel Beats. I did too, and still do on some levels. I just can’t… I am sorry. It’s actually made me sick to my stomach, how much I reject almost every concept I am presented with after a certain point.

• June 27, 2010 at 6:37 pmTrejon

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa… SNIFF!!!! SNIFF!!! otonashi x kanade!!!!!, i havent cried in anime in such a long time, the ending was sooo gooood, but i wanted that the ending was a little more longer showing otonashi and kanade dating in their new life…… and i g2g to wash my face again….

• June 27, 2010 at 7:02 pmsad-panda

so the only reason otonashi was there, was because of kanade?
    because kanade wanted to thank otonashi, otonashi even said there was no reason for him to be there, because he fulfilled his life..

sort confused.. they could have cleared it up a bit.

was really worried if otonashi was left behind..

hopefully they can all meet each other..

• June 28, 2010 at 7:57 amZaku_Fan

Something fascinating. Someone in the AB animation or writing dept must be a gun nut. Seems all the guns used have been identified.

• June 29, 2010 at 12:43 pmLiberta

A true dedicated fan right there! =D

• June 28, 2010 at 8:10 amChaos

i felt this was a particulary good ending it was deep and i showed that everything they had done had helped them find their meaning. Though i wish they had shown each person coming to terms with their life and such it was good to see that the members of the battle front found what they were looking for. Also considering the ending of the episode with yui i expect that those who found resolution with their past lives were a new life were what they had wanted would find them. In that sense the entire world in addtion to helping you move on also grants your wishes.

• June 28, 2010 at 4:47 pmKyuusei

Ya know, if it wasn’t for the epilogue, it woulda seemed that Otonashi was stuck as the last one who couldn’t move on.

• June 28, 2010 at 6:12 pmTiewo

Wow. this series was so awesome and one of my favorites! Thank you for posting the episodes.

• June 28, 2010 at 7:03 pmcode fanboy

this anime had so much potentiol, it made me cry, it was really good romance. I just they would make another where it takes place in their reicarnation.

• June 28, 2010 at 7:07 pmsealouse

did not disappoint

• June 28, 2010 at 7:27 pmSeedFreedom

Hey Divine, well said. People are bashing the series way too much just because its Key and because its popular. While it still suffered greatly from the short time given, they really made the most of it.

(P.S. Congrats on the new site, this is my first post here)

• June 28, 2010 at 8:43 pmHuitzi

Tristeza, es lo que siento al saber que esta serie se terminó. Congratulations to “Key and P.A. Works” for this excellent production and I hope another anime with this duo. Thanks Divine for keep alive Random Curiosity.

• June 28, 2010 at 8:46 pminnerchihiro

The first ED picture is now my bg T_T so sad!!!!!

• June 29, 2010 at 12:15 amEnderTheXenocide

While I thought last episode seemed rushed in the story closure part this one was all I could ask for to close off the series and more – thanks for the blogging an amazing show as always Divine.

• June 30, 2010 at 1:02 pmPhantomPhreek

wow..what an end to a season’s best….Jun Maeda FTW!

• June 30, 2010 at 9:57 pmlol

I really liked it, but it was a little cheesy at the end xD well I did cried, but I still think think it was a little chessy, Otonashi declaration was a little rushed, I was like “he loves her?” but this series was amazing IS amazing.

well, it was nice. My favorite character Yurippe.

ande realy loveee kanade.

• July 3, 2010 at 12:39 pmAllie

oops late comment
    i actually didn’t watch this series but
    after reading the posts I’m like
    WHAT!? This show is like LOST except they all know they’re dead…

• July 3, 2010 at 2:30 pmJoez

another late comment. Just finished marathoning the whole 13 eps. Am getting blurred eyes. I didn’t want to watch this as the resemblance of Yuri to a certain GOD gave a bad impression on me. But following Divine’s weekly post, I gave in. Thanks Divine :)

Definitely the candidate for the best anime this season. I’ll be voting for Angel Beats comes the annual RC poll.

• July 4, 2010 at 9:12 pmWheate

I hate this ending!! God, I loved the show so mutch but then it began to dissappoint me in the last episodes. I hoped for a different end!! -_-’ Cause in my head I pictured OtonashiXYuri<3 I mean in one of the first episodes his like: "what's up with her smelling so good?" and she's like telling him about his past and everything is just so… and then kanade came…

• August 2, 2010 at 10:17 pmSille

I was really, really hoping for a Otonashi x Yuri, too, ESPECIALLY after Yuri went all Tsundere on everyone. I just can’t help thinking that poor Yuri, given all her troubles and all, doesn’t have anyone. :(

But, given the context of the plot, and the fact that Kanade had Otonashi’s heart, I reluctantly have to agree with how it turned out. It was the way it was meant to be, to be cliche.

Also, if you think about it the other way, if Otonashi actually did end up with Yuri, you couldn’t help but feel bad for Kanade, and she wouldn’t have been able to move on :\. I guess it’s either one way or the other…

Still wish it was O x Y though :)

• July 5, 2010 at 10:30 pmzandy

So I just finished watching all 13 episodes in one sitting and they were amazing, I really hope that the 14th episode is a post-mortom on how all the characters meet up in another life. Either that or I hope that Angel Beats season 2 will one day exist. But Divine, I was wondering if you will be blogging the 14th episode if/when you get to see it? thank <3

• July 6, 2010 at 1:24 amDivine

I sure will, but it’s a long ways away. The seventh volume with the bonus episode isn’t coming out until December 22nd.

• July 27, 2010 at 12:09 amCc

I’ve watched soo many animes with these kind of endings, and I just can’t bring myself away from the verge of crying. Just finished the episode and I’m glad I downloaded the whole series… (still crying over here, and I’m a guy!!!).

-So Divine, is it true about the 14th ep like Zandy said??

• August 1, 2010 at 6:58 pmokami

I finally finished the series on this first day of August; however, it’s a bittersweet moment right now. I’m thinking that the fourteenth episode will be the continuation from where we left off Angel Beats!; it’s a possibility.

I can’t believe I never stepped into the world of Maeda Jun before now! It’s all thanks to your Spring Preview of 2010. I appreciate your coverage of this series ^_^

• August 7, 2010 at 7:42 amJayDrink

Definitely one of my favourite shows. So beautiful.

• October 5, 2010 at 8:17 aminfinite

• October 5, 2010 at 8:21 aminfinite

• October 5, 2010 at 8:58 aminfinite

• October 14, 2010 at 11:10 pmwebsite promotie

Hi, were did you get your wordpress theme? is it a custom one? Mark

• November 23, 2010 at 6:48 amMalbrou

its not over yet! the OVA is coming out this December 22nd!

• November 28, 2010 at 6:32 pmJay Agan

Finished this series over a month ago. Boy meets girl, girl knifes boy. Sort of a “Six
    shots ripped into my groin & I was off on the greatest adventure of my life.” kind of thing.

I was more into the “theological” aspects of the show (What little there was.) Also in
    spite of what I thought of its’ disjointedness & “all over the place” feel I got to like Angel Beats as its’ “faults” seemed to add instead of take away. Am looking forward to purchasing it when it’s released to disc here (Hopefully subbed.)

As to folks thinking of the Yuri character as a “Haruhi clone” I can only wonder what the Suzumiya character is a “clone” of. After all, there have been other assertive, “socially impaired” leading ladies in anime before.

My “take” on the series here:
    jaysteevee.blogspot.com/2010/10/not-haruhi-clone.html