Ikoku Meiro no Croisée The Animation – 04.5 »« Ikoku Meiro no Croisée The Animation – 05

Ikoku Meiro no Croisée The Animation – 06

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   01 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   02 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   03
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   04 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   05 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   06
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   07 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   08 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   09
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   10 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   11 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   12
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   13 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   14 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   15
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   16 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   17 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   18
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   19 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   20 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   21
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   22 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   23 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   24
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   25 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   26 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   27
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   28 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   29 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   30
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   31 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   32 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   33
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   34 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   35 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   36

「鳥籠 Crinoline」 (Torikago)
“Birdcage”

For all those shipping Claude and Yune already, sorry to burst your bubble, but the story is taking a different direction in terms of pairings. I had a hunch about it based on the character descriptions I read for the Summer 2011 Preview, but it wasn’t quite to the degree that they hinted at here. There was definitely a lot to read into after Yune compared of a crinoline to a birdcage, and Camille followed up with a figurative statement on how it prevents someone from reaching what they truly want. Much like Yune, I wasn’t too sure what she was referring to at first, but that was quickly answered by the way she set her eyes on Claude from afar. Camile also left just before Claude arrived, which didn’t seem like a mere coincidence considering that Claude was hesitant to go to the Blanche household — probably because it would’ve been awkward running into Camille.

So with that, I’m already thinking Claude x Camille. It’s not exactly a pairing anyone could’ve really anticipated when Claude has a beef against the Blanche family (and Alice in particular lately), but these two definitely have a past together. Judging from Claude’s facial expression, I get the feeling that they actually like one another, but Camille knew there was no way that her family would let her go out with a commoner. Whatever the case may be, I can’t say I’m expecting anything to develop between the two of them due to their difference in social status and the era they’re in. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see a case of a elegant wealthy girl falling for a rugged farm iron boy, but I just can’t picture the series heading deeply in that direction. I am however dying to learn more about their past together, which putting them in the same room together should speak volumes about. All I know is that they secretly met up when they were younger.

Quite honestly, the Claude x Yune idea never worked for me, even if the age difference wouldn’t mean much a few years from now. I just never got a sense of any romantic interest between the two and didn’t really want to see any either. I really like the relationship that they have now, where Yune has a great deal of respect for Claude as the master of the house, while Claude looks after her like a little sister. I find that sibling-like connection a lot cuter to see, plus it’s what sold me on this series to begin with. Yune should remain the hardworking and diligent foreigner that she is, because it’s absolutely contagious to both Claude and myself. From her beady eyes waiting for Claude’s approval to go take photographs at Alice’s house to her bashfulness when she gets dressed up, this is the Yune that I know and love. At her young age, I much prefer the focus on Claude giving her more freedom like we saw in this very episode. I say leave the romance to Claude and Camille (if at all).

From a broader perspective, this episode had just about everything. Very cute and lighthearted moments when Yune taught Alice how to put on a kimono properly and of course the foreshadowing between Claude and Camille. The next episode should prove just as entertaining though, with Yune falling sick in a foreign place. Her older sister Shione will be making an appearance in a flashback too, and she’s voiced by the one and only Noto Mamiko. She’s like the go-to person for an angelic onee-san voice.

* Full-length images of Yune and Alice? You can be rest assured that I’ll put them together at every opportunity.

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   Preview 01 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   Preview 02 Ikoku Meiro no Croisee The Animation   06   Preview 03
August 8, 2011 at 12:40 am
  • August 8, 2011 at 12:45 amsaturos13

am i confusing this show 4 a loli fan service?

• August 8, 2011 at 1:21 amDivine

Yes you are.

• August 8, 2011 at 1:45 amTheM0onDOgg

That’d be Ro-Kyu-Bu! my friend…

• August 8, 2011 at 10:51 pmlkaze

for some reason, naked back of Yune arouse me more than 5 loli taking bath.

• August 8, 2011 at 1:00 amVii

Okay you’ve totally caught me as a Claude x Yune shipper. At first when I saw your post on the front page and read the first few lines I went “NOOOOOOOOOO.” But after reading the whole post I’m more inclined to accept that it’s not going to happen – your reasoning is a lot more sound than my shipping. In other news, this anime is adorable. Thanks for getting me interested in it, Divine.

• August 15, 2011 at 11:08 pmnagi

Yeah, Divine also got me on this one. Although even after reading all the comments (and the spoilers), I still don’t like Camille x Claude. I don’t know why, it just doesn’t work for me. I think one thing has changed though, I would now be an older and more mature Yune x Claude shipper (I mean, I want them to have a romantic affair once they get older :D)

• August 8, 2011 at 1:00 amLectro Volpi

“For all those shipping Claude and Yune already, sorry to burst your bubble, but the story is taking a different direction in terms of pairings.”

Someone spoiled it for me last episode and I went straight to the manga, me like it. Camille can get more screentime and depth instead of just being the “Ara, ara” character.

• August 8, 2011 at 1:06 amTheM0onDOgg

Claude x Camille huh? I need to see that LN more….

• August 8, 2011 at 1:10 aminnerchihiro

While there is definitely something behind Claude and Camille, I still think there’s a good chance for Claude and Yune (and no, I’m not clinging to false hope because I’m a fan. I actually don’t care who gets together in this show.)
    The manga puts a lot more emphasis on Claude and Yune than the anime, so I think it’s fifty-fifty.

• August 8, 2011 at 1:16 amShirt

Good lord.. I wish I lived during these times. And how come nobody cosplays this stuff?

• August 8, 2011 at 8:44 amLoL

You can see many girls wearing costumes like that in the oktoberfest.

• August 8, 2011 at 1:34 amxcswmboy

Camille seems the nice older sister type that fits Claude’s older brother type I guess. Anybody that says “ara ara” can’t be bad.

• August 8, 2011 at 2:06 ambaka~

I read that there was an ep 4.5 that hinted Claude and Camille’s relationship

• August 8, 2011 at 2:13 amPandorakun

One thing that does bother me about those photos is how natural they are. Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t people generally expected to stand stock-still without moving a muscle so that the photo wouldn’t blur?

This is kind of dependent on when the show is set though.

• August 8, 2011 at 9:00 amLitho

Yup, in the olden days with large format cameras like those, shutter speeds would be very, very slow, hence they’d be required to stand still for quite a bit of time, even in daylight.

Actually, even modern day large format photography (think negatives/slides 4×5 or 8×10 inches big… not your childhood 35mm negatives, for sure), shutter speeds tend to be very long, which it’s why it’s mainly the domain of landscape and product photographers these days (those that haven’t gone digital, at least), though studio lighting and leaf-shutter lenses probably compensate a bit.

• August 8, 2011 at 9:56 pmx

It wasn’t just whether if it will blur. You won’t even show up on the photo if you don’t stay still long enough, due to the process needing long exposure time.

• August 9, 2011 at 1:26 amDivine

Alice talked about this in the episode, saying how she has trouble staying as still as Camille. It became a bit of a gag at the end when Alice and Yune kept getting distracted.

• August 9, 2011 at 6:12 amPandorakun

In that case, that’s one still cat’s tail in there.

• August 8, 2011 at 2:36 amChaos2Frozen

Oh? It looks like they’re spreading out Claude and Camile’s childhood story…

Heads up, it’s NOT the most depressing you’ll ever see- but it’s still pretty heart wrenching :(

• August 8, 2011 at 2:53 amcybersteel

I see..bi.

• August 8, 2011 at 5:49 amRelic

Come out in subbed already!!!!lol damn my grasp of Japanese language. oh well, I got time to learn…or do I. Anyway cant wait to watch! those gals are TOO damn cute for words.

• August 8, 2011 at 9:09 amLitho

I’ve only read 2 volumes of the manga (I’m not even sure if it’s the original source or based on some light novel), and I personally think that a Claude x Camile ending is highly unlikely. I culd be wrong, though. Actually, the story doesn’t really seem to be set-up with a “pair” ending in mind. Seems more like “you’re family now” type with regards to Claude and Yune.

• August 8, 2011 at 10:39 amliz

Anyways dont count yune out yet. I’m not rooting for anyone I love this series just the way it is but there is still a 50/50 chance of it happening and if it does I wouldnt mind it. For now I enjoy everything that is going on I love all the characters ^_^

• August 8, 2011 at 10:51 ammac65

Okay, I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that last remark about no Yune and Claude… :)

I haven’t read the manga, but the series (to date) makes no reference to Claude
    having a romantic interest prior to Yune. I’m also considering the various
    dialogue between Yune and Claude, the almost touch by Yune of Clause’s back,
    and so on. There was the resounding silence to the question as why did Yune come
    to France in the 1st place (last episode or one before?)

IMHO, none of those dynamics make sense to the development of a Claude x Camille story.
    What I believed I saw was Claude’s rejection (past and re-affirmed) of Camille;
    the reference to frilly clothes, to me, was almost directed at Camille. Camille may regret,
    but Claude shows resolve (to Yune) in any apparent past decision concerning her.
    Clause makes it quite clear his heart is in tradition; however beautiful and elegant
    Camille is, Claude cannot and will not forsake his heart and core beliefs.

Too, with Yune portrayed so young, I believe they (the animators) are playing the
    romance close to their heart before the call is made near the end of this series
    (if at all).

With all of that, I really enjoyed the photography session. In our day and time,
    it’s difficult to image the effort it took to take a single photo back then – I’m sure
    nothing less than Sunday’s best dress would do.

I can feel the viewer passion (I can only speak for myself) rising – reminds me
    of how I was drawn into Sora no Otoshimono (another amazing series).

Divine, I’d like you to know that for all of the series’ that you cover,
    your full-length captures are amazing and always appreciated. Thank you.

• August 9, 2011 at 1:28 amDivine

Glad you enjoy them.

• August 8, 2011 at 11:29 amliz

divine didnt you hears about the ikoku meiro no croisee special its soo pretty the singing in it calms my heart.

• August 9, 2011 at 1:29 amDivine

I did hear about episode 4.5. I’ll probably cover it in the next day or two.

• August 10, 2011 at 7:27 amlkaze

Hmm. One on hand I don’t want you to blog because you be reminding me how I couldn’t watch raw. On another hand, now that I watch 5 and 6. I kinda wanted to know what happen between alice’s sister and Claude.

………….

………

…..

still couldn’t decide what to feel.

• August 8, 2011 at 11:49 amDrunkenVeggie

After reading the manga, Camille is actually rather creepy. Way creepier than in the anime. And I find a romance between her and Claude to be something rather unsettling.

But there are a few chapters I do hope they animate~!

• August 8, 2011 at 1:26 pmmac65

I would love to see that (what’s in your spoiler)!

• August 8, 2011 at 3:28 pmDr. Dust Cell

creepy? you mean jelly.

• August 8, 2011 at 4:53 pmChaos2Frozen

Creepy? Hardly, it’s simply a matter of the perspective from two different social status. There are things that the upperclass people can’t do that the lowerclass wouldn’t understand and vice-verse.

• August 8, 2011 at 7:39 pmneko

while in the anime you feel more sympathy/pity for Camille’s lack of freedom in the manga Show Spoiler ▼

lol

• August 8, 2011 at 7:41 pmneko

actually let me rephrase that. Show Spoiler ▼

• August 8, 2011 at 8:34 pmChaos2Frozen

@neko
        No she didn’t.

• August 9, 2011 at 4:24 amneko

i did not mean literally, she was a child anyway. She still creeps me out anyway, we all have our opinions. ja!

• August 8, 2011 at 6:14 pmThe Mo0nDOgg

Clearly Camille implying that Claude is like a stray cat is her way of saying she likes Claude. Camille has things she can and cannot do, even if she likes Claude and has been indoctrinated with that since she was young.

I think the way for the two to be together is 1. Claude makes himself equal to Camille in terms of Social Standing. Or 2. Camille gives up her social standing and elope with Claude.

• August 8, 2011 at 8:37 pmChaos2Frozen

Before all that, Claude needs to learn to understand other people, which I think was the problem it didn’t work out the first time.

• August 8, 2011 at 9:09 pmliz

anyways like I said i hope this love story is put on the side lines I love the way the story is progressing right now as it is. i dont want to ship anybody lol I love the dynamic as it is.

• August 8, 2011 at 9:40 pmThe Mo0nDOgg

I still want to see Claude get together again with Camille.

• August 8, 2011 at 1:29 pmx

I get the impression that the story of Claude and Camille might be like “Roman Holiday”.

For most of us from the 21st century “developed”/”semi-developed” world, we have a hard time understanding someone like Camille. This episode tries to portray some of that, though I wonder if our 21st century cultural baggage prevents us from being able to fully understand what someone like Camille really goes through and see things.

• August 8, 2011 at 2:59 pmFencedude

ClaudeXCamille, YuneXAlice.

Works out perfectly for everyone involved!

• August 8, 2011 at 3:22 pmannamoss

This should be like Natsume and not have shippings. (Sorry to fans that disagree) There’s enough romance in the other animes for the world to go around, but calm, peaceful series like these are rare. This series is interesting as it is, a young foreigner in a new place, trying to get through life. Nice to see the culture clashes and just how life was like in 19th century Paris.

Yune in European clothes is just moe~! >w<

• August 8, 2011 at 7:05 pmKuro

I so hope the show heads in that direction. I think the last good romantic/other show I watched was Basilisk and we all know how that ends. I’d be super excited if the romance took center stage but I’ll settle for a developed side story. I just hope it doesn’t fizzle out like most side stories do.

• August 9, 2011 at 4:10 amChoco

Claude probably likes Camille. And vice-versa.

Can anyone really imagine Claude liking Yune? I see it as only a brotherly kind of thing. Besides, in the end of the series, Yune will go back to Japan. Since in the manga spin-off ‘Ikoku Meiro No Alice-chan’, the story says that Alice has missed Yune since she went back to Japan ^^;
    Besides,

• August 10, 2011 at 7:34 amlkaze

Yup, Claude x Cammile is much better. Although Yune x Claude is much closer but somehow until now no romantic feeling is involved only mutual respect.

• August 10, 2011 at 6:58 pmliz

• August 9, 2011 at 4:32 amAnya

I almost cried while reading Camille x Claude´s past. those bashing Camille do not clearly understand her. Show Spoiler ▼

• August 9, 2011 at 10:27 amLitho

I’ve read up to the end of volume 2, and I didn’t feel anywhere near as “heart-wrenched” as you.

TBH, I know everyone goes “Oooh!! Another loli!! Yay!!” when they get an ep with the little rich girl, but I just find her (and her older sis) a tad annoying. Maybe it’s the choice of voice-actresses in the anime version, since I didn’t really mind their appearances in the manga that much.

• August 9, 2011 at 10:49 pmThe Mo0nDOgg

This series is branded as a drama for a reason. And I think both stories are just as sad.

• August 9, 2011 at 11:15 amRelic

I must be one of THE densest people alive. I didn’t pick up on the cam and Claude even once before this episode or that they had a past together. I figured the bird cage a symbol for the constraints an aristocratic life style places on one, less free time, uncomfortable dress, marrying for money so on. Now it makes sense especially when she was look’n at Claude but I never saw it coming,or past romance. I didn’t think she’d play so big a role and I’m still feel’n the Claude meister and mah’ girl Yune hook’n.

• August 9, 2011 at 10:08 pmoctoberasian

If a resin figure of Yune is made out of this: http://randomc.net/image/Ikoku%20Meiro%20no%20Croisee/Ikoku%20Meiro%20no%20Croisee%20The%20Animation%20-%2006%20-%20Large%2023.jpg

… Day 1 buy for me (especially at the possibility of any Yune nendroids they release ><)

• August 25, 2011 at 4:18 pmmichelle

I don’t see Claude and Yune as a pairing, either. I just see them as having that kind of sibling-like relationship with each other, where Yune looks up to Claude as an older brother and Claude sees Yune as like a younger sister.