Kami-sama no Memo-chou – 09 »« Kami-sama no Memo Chou – 07

Kami-sama no Memo-chou – 08

Kami sama no Memo chou   08   01 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   02 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   03
Kami sama no Memo chou   08   04 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   05 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   06
Kami sama no Memo chou   08   07 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   08 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   09
Kami sama no Memo chou   08   10 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   11 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   12
Kami sama no Memo chou   08   13 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   14 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   15
Kami sama no Memo chou   08   16 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   17 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   18
Kami sama no Memo chou   08   19 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   20 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   21
Kami sama no Memo chou   08   22 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   23 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   24
Kami sama no Memo chou   08   25 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   26 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   27
Kami sama no Memo chou   08   28 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   29 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   30
Kami sama no Memo chou   08   31 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   32 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   33
Kami sama no Memo chou   08   34 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   35 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   36

「僕は運命を信じない」 (Boku ha Unmei wo Shinjinai)
“I Don’t Believe in Fate”

I knew it!

I’m sure there’s going to be a few comments about how the mystery wasn’t actually a mystery or that anybody could have figured it out, but one has to give credit to a series that fleshes out a mystery just enough to allow a normal person to figure it out while still making them go “OH!” when they do.

After four episodes dealing with Yondaime and Renji, I was really happy with how things were wrapped up. It was a sort of sweet but not too outrageous type of ending that was as close to perfect as things involving honor could get. Even though I can’t sympathize with either side since both of them were being real knuckle heads; it seems that the traditional punch to the face is enough to solve years of bad blood. If only the fight between the two wasn’t broken up with scenes of the ENOZ-esque band playing — I would have loved to watch the two strongest members of the Hirasaka group duke it out.

But even bigger than solving the issue between Yondaime and Renji was watching Narumi take charge and getting work done. The timid protagonist who didn’t really deserve the title of protagonist finally decided to step up and make a name for himself. I can clearly remember the shivers run down my back as I watched him take control over the Hirasaka group; not only protecting them from a trap but effectively cooling them off and managing them effectively. But if becoming a stand in leader or a bunch of (polite) thugs wasn’t enough, watching him finish the job that Yondaime started while fixing his friendship with Renji really made Narumi stand out this week.

While I may be rooting for a Narumi x Alice pairing, I’m starting to grow weary as I think about how far off the two’s romantic interests might be. I think it’s pretty clear that Alice’s constant blushing and hiding behind stuffed animals when Narumi makes a bold comment aren’t from embarrassment but I wonder if Narumi understands the power of his words. With a season full of dense guys in nearly every show I’m watching, I’m not sure if I could handle Narumi not understanding where he stands.

Kami sama no Memo chou   08   Preview 01 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   Preview 02 Kami sama no Memo chou   08   Preview 03
August 28, 2011 at 1:53 am
  • August 28, 2011 at 2:18 amfragb85

Narumi taking command was awesome. That’s what you call stepping up.

Honestly, the scene with Yoshiki holding “his” stomach last episode was a little too obvious of a clue. This was still the best arc so far, though I think the resolution with Renji to be a little to idealistic.

• August 28, 2011 at 3:25 amx

Finally, they slowed down to a reasonable pace. I don’t think I can even find a scene with jarring transitions at all in this episode. Narumi’s growth is well portrayed, and the story flowed really well IMO. He is still as dense as ever, though Alice might have discovered something special about his mental capability when cornered XD. It’s like there’s a sudden breakthrough given certain conditions :P. Nah. Seriously though, I’m starting to like this anime more.

• August 29, 2011 at 5:45 amlkaze

Yup, I liked this anime too. Although I wouldn’t say that this will be the best anime this season, I can confidently say that I can enjoy this anime without dragging myself to watch it.

• August 29, 2011 at 6:00 pmx

I can’t really say this is the best this season either, but at the same time, I’m probably not watching some of the best this season for one reason or another. Too many to watch this season, and I thought that there wasn’t that many good ones to watch this season before it started XD. So this is one of the better ones for me (I have not decided which is the “best”, not sure if I ever will at the rate I’m going). At some point I might end up watching some that I miss, but honestly with the next season’s line up being so packed XD

• August 28, 2011 at 3:39 amjingoi

The newest Denseman member, Denseman Narumi!
    Renji looks like a older Hikaru Shindo.
    Only one person in the anime world has earned the title of Major, Mukai isn’t it.

• August 28, 2011 at 3:59 ammac65

Forth!

This was definitely a good episode for Narumi. The underlying plot
    was pretty believable, too, and had the reality darkness of the 1st
    pair of episodes – not kid stuff. Makes up for some weak showings
    in the past – I hope the series continues along this path.

I don’t know if Narumi x Alice is in the show for comic relief or if it
    will take a serious direction.

• August 28, 2011 at 4:45 amTSouL

I agree that this arc was better than an lingerie fanatic. It even went as far as attempted murder for adultery. I hope they would use the final 4 epi for a single arc and have Narumi do something to deserve his role as the protagonist.

• August 28, 2011 at 4:47 amLogeres

Am I really the only one who didn’t see this coming at all? “His” voice sounded so manly that I never made the connection between them.

I wonder why Alice and the other NEET guys make fun of Narumi anyway, seeing how hypercompetent he is. He is not only the most intelligent in the group aside from Alice, but is also able to organise a concert and lead a Yakuza-ish group. What is up with that guy?

• August 28, 2011 at 11:27 amjrafanan

I didn’t make the connection until this episode either. =\

• August 28, 2011 at 12:16 pmbaubo

It’s mostly Alice, and the reason is that Narumi likes to butt into other people’s business at the risk of his own well-being, which sets off Alice’s inherent wish to protect Narumi from danger.

The other guys just give him a hard time because he has fairly low self-esteem. Especially because he seem to look medicore among people who are expert at something. Whereas he dislike his own “positive” attributes. For example, his incredible ability to lie convincingly with a straight face is not exactly something he’s proud of.

• August 28, 2011 at 5:18 amJellyfish Marine

My.
    Good.
    Ness.
    A reverse trap…

And Narumi was so GAR this episode.

• August 28, 2011 at 5:27 amc2710

the band ned more love an d music!

• August 28, 2011 at 6:45 amhamzahfaction

just who the hell is nemo-san in next episode ?

• August 29, 2011 at 5:46 amlkaze

My thought exactly!

• August 28, 2011 at 7:45 amCroos

Noooo. My prediction of Alice sniffing the blanket that Narumi slept in didn’t happen. T_T

• August 29, 2011 at 5:51 amlkaze

It happen off screen. Definitely, how can she resist the temptation after Narumi slept in the same bed as her. This is the closest I got.

• August 29, 2011 at 6:50 amx

Yeah, definitely off screen. One of these days her secret sniffing habit will be discovered by our naive protagonist and the impact will blow his brains (not that there’s much in there :P) out XD

• August 28, 2011 at 9:19 amPhoentjah

Great episode, loved how they concluded the arc. I can really see alice x narumi happen since she was about to tell him her feelings this time arround, now if narumi would just turn in his dense-men membershipcard and things will be fabulous max ^^

• August 28, 2011 at 9:26 ambaubo

Incredible arc. Very well done. And it really annoys me that they didn’t do this with the previous arcs.

As for the Alice x Narumi pairing, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It’s quite clear that Narumi has feelings for Alice that he doesn’t hold for anyone else.

And yes, I can read Narumi’s thoughts. :)

• August 28, 2011 at 11:32 amSerapita

I agree, I like it when they make the mystery not impossible for people to figure it out. And Narumi is developing as a character as well. Though Alice does not get enough screen time for me to enjoy, she’s incredibly cute at the end of episode. :)

• August 28, 2011 at 11:49 amdh19440113

Even though shosa is characterized as military otaku, he has no idea what to do. He is using a barret as a binoculars/spotting scope, that gun is 34 pounds empty and 38 loaded with .50 BMG. Shooter secure the buttstock with his left hand, putting it on the magazine serve no purpose. Finger off the trigger until ready to pull the trigger, thats the most basic rule of firearm use.

• August 28, 2011 at 5:50 pmKurosawa

Airsoft gun…MUCH lighter than its firearm counterpart

• August 28, 2011 at 3:04 pmMarow

I’ve heard people say that the first arc, the double episode, was filler. Is this true? If so, how did the characters meet each other in the LN? Heck, is the LN any better at all?

• August 28, 2011 at 4:22 pmChaos2Frozen

It’s not a filler, it’s an original story- there is a difference, and They meet exactly the same way minus all the stuff related to the case of that missing girl.

The Light Novel is said to have a much darker tone to the story.

• September 20, 2011 at 6:08 amJayan

I guess findnig useful, reliable information on the internet isn’t hopeless after all.

• August 29, 2011 at 12:03 ambaubo

I read the first 3 volumes a while back, and 3 more recently. So my memory might be off here.

As much spoiler-free a gist of the light novels

• August 29, 2011 at 2:20 amMarow

So… all in all, it’s another typical J.C.Staff-adaption? I really wonder why they “change” stuff.

• August 29, 2011 at 3:04 amewok40k

OK, is it me or Hison was (illegal?) immigrant from Korea? (the korean pattern on the band logo)
    Narumi really did the man-up thing this time, and I am perfectly pleased with that. Have at you, “weak protagonist haters”!
    Alice almost blurted out that she likes Narumi. He really is dense in this regard, on an epic scale rivalling Tohru from HanaIro!
    Next episode looks like typical “baseball match episode”, which is becoming a staple similar to beach/swimsuit and festival/yukata ones…

• August 29, 2011 at 5:54 amlkaze

I don’t understand when people said Narumi is weak protagonist. He is not weak at all compare to Manaka(100% ichigo) and he is nowhere near the density of Ichika(Infinity Stratos).

To me, he is a day to day normal character that try his best to be with the awesome people like Alice.

• August 29, 2011 at 6:52 amx

I wouldn’t call him “weak”, I’d say he is slower than the average guy in noticing things. But as this episode demonstrated, once he does notice, he can work miracles :)

• August 29, 2011 at 12:31 pmMarow

He’s very bland, that’s the thing. He mans up when it’s needed (gang going crazy), he’s dumb when it’s needed (Alice) and only goes along with everything without questioning it. No personality, really, he’s just going with the flow.

• August 29, 2011 at 5:56 amlkaze

Okay, so Sou is going on a date with Hison? Now that is something I cannot imagine. I wonder what face will Narumi make when he see that? Will he able to keep a straight face?

• August 29, 2011 at 6:57 amx

Assuming he has gotten used to the idea of who Hison is (was funny how he didn’t even realize it until Alice revealed it). I think he will be fine with it. Otherwise he might find it hard to accept I guess.

• September 11, 2011 at 1:33 amWhee

Let’s all take a moment to shed some manly tears ;_;