Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!! – 01 »« Manyuu Hikenchou – 01

C3 – 01

「布団に移るものを知らない」 (Futon ni Utsuru Mono wo Shiranai)
“I Don’t Know What That Thing Moving About the Futon is”

Well if this first episode was any indication, it looks like I wasn’t too far off the mark about how Cube x Cursed x Curious (a.k.a. C Cube) would tread into romantic-comedy territory more than anything else. The premise involving cursed items that manifest themselves into a human consciousness was just sort of slipped in — between all the naked and underwear shots of our blue-haired cube girl, Fear (Tamura Yukari). I can’t imagine anyone was really paying attention to what curse-resilient high schooler Yachi Haruaki (Kaji Yuuki) had to say about the cursed items that his overseas father sends to him, but talk about them was in there somewhere.

So far, the plot device comes off fairly gimmicky, simply because the story itself has made it out to be an everyday thing for Haruaki. That thought was quickly confirmed by the introduction of Muramasa Konoha (Chihara Minori), Haruaki’s curse-freed friend whom Fear immediately disliked because she referred to her as a kid. From that point on, it was nothing short of the two girls chirping back and forth at one another, much like one would expect from any high school comedy. Quite honestly, I didn’t find the slapstick delivery too funny, but I did enjoy seeing C3′s stylistic touches, from the goofy pencil-shaded faces to the super-deformed characters emitting murderous auras. Oddly enough, I was most amused by the Rubik’s Cube, even though Haruaki wasn’t trying to make fun of Fear when he gave it to her to play with. (If anyone deserves to be laughed at, it’s the shopping district shop owner for only making one correct side.)

I question whether it was necessary to devote as much time as they did to Fear wrecking Haruaki’s place while trying to do a good deed, but I could see what the story was going for by showing her naivety (and underwear) and reminding Haruaki (and us) that she’s not human and that he has to be patient with her like he was with Konoha. It wasn’t quite enough for me to be completely understanding of her carnage, but it did much me soften up to the sound of the high-pitched whiny voice that Yukarin uses for Fear. Her opening theme “Endless Story” (shown as an ED this episode) is a different story, as I didn’t even realize it was Yukarin singing at first. I could definitely get used to hearing more songs like this from her. It comes with a pretty good opening sequence too, with sakura (cherry blossom) petals fluttering about everywhere. While it’s really easy to spot SILVER LINK’s influences, right down to the same character designer as Bakatest, the opening sequence isn’t something I would’ve expected from them.

Seeing as Haruka’s class president, Ueno Kirika (Kitamura Eri), has yet to show up, plus all the other characters and organizations interested in cursed items, it’s far too early to tell if C3 will be anything like Kore wa Zombie Desu ka (as per my impressions in the season preview). The series has shown that it has a somewhat similar comedic element, so I plan to check out some more episodes to see where it’s headed. Your mileage will vary.

* Full-length images: 02, 10, 11, 16, 23, 26, 28.

ED Sequence

ED: 「Endless Story」 by 田村ゆかり (Tamura Yukari)
Watch the ED!: Streaming ▼

Preview & End Card

October 2, 2011 at 2:50 am
  • October 2, 2011 at 3:12 amChaos2Frozen

@Divine

Apparently all this fuwa-fuwa stuff is one big smokescreen; there’s alot of blood-letting involve, and definitely not the Baka-Test kind ^^;

• October 2, 2011 at 3:27 amSan-chan

Yep, there’s definitely a plot in this one.

• October 2, 2011 at 3:30 amDonKangolJones

Hmmm, I don’t think this show was on my radar when I glossed over the previews. I may give it a shot though if I’m desperate for a series with some ecchi elements. Every season must have a good dose of panties to even things out.

• October 2, 2011 at 3:45 amEx14

I’m really hoping this isn’t like Itsuka tenma, which disappointed me greatly. =/ Tho it’ll probably be lackluster with all the other quality shows this season.

• October 3, 2011 at 8:10 pmSerapita

ํำYeah, Itsuka Tenma was not up to the standard the manga set, for me at least.

• October 2, 2011 at 5:11 amCroos

Within this colorful and cute plot lies a very black and bloody story.

• October 2, 2011 at 9:59 pmLuxorcist

I can see this happening.

• October 2, 2011 at 5:20 amzerox535

too early to decide rather this anime’s good or bad :o

• October 2, 2011 at 5:40 amoutcast

This new font pushes my uncomfertable bone.

• October 2, 2011 at 5:55 ammaguru07

mmmm lets see how this one goes…

• October 2, 2011 at 6:22 amanonimous

lol troublemaker?

• October 2, 2011 at 7:18 amraksasha

The cleaning part did it for me. I imagined her screaming what she is going to do like in Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time(http://www.youtube.com/user/SwedishMealTime). I would be surprised tough if that was the intention of the creators :D

• October 2, 2011 at 8:10 amAdventure

I thought this was going to have action in it because they had categorized it in that nature. Now if this is just going to bE some slice of life harem show, I’m out.

• October 2, 2011 at 8:23 ambearzerger

If anything this show deserves atleast props for no annoying censorship. I’m not sure about the story yet.

• October 2, 2011 at 8:54 amx

This turned out to be more entertaining that I anticipated. For now, I’ll continue watching…

• October 2, 2011 at 9:27 amAlcren

to all the nay sayers, its the first episode. yes you can pretty much see where things are going with just the first one however i say give an anime at least 2 or 3 episodes before making a decision to drop it. remember madoka, i know people who thought to drop it after ep 2 and then ep 3 happened.

• October 4, 2011 at 8:16 amwhoa

yeah, I know scores and scores of internet people who dropped both Madoka AND Steins;Gate in the middle of episode 2….

prolly my biggest anime watching mistake….. ever.

• October 7, 2011 at 6:45 amFoofiebeast

Yeah, but this is bad on a different level. The animation is bad (shots are interesting, but the actual animation itself, especially the backgrounds are rubbish and lots of gradients), the story assumes we are all already family with the usual tropes, so they can just jump right in and pretend like we already care about the characters, etc.

Definitely a skip for me.

• October 2, 2011 at 9:47 amSoiyeruda

Much like Softenni from Spring season, I’ll admit I was entertained a lot more than I should have been, especially from the “cleaning” house scene. I’ll probably be following this.

At the very least, I do genuinely enjoy the chinese-esque opening.

• October 2, 2011 at 10:06 amKaus

Boo, when is Eri Kitamura going to be a main heroine? :(

• October 2, 2011 at 10:23 ammac65

I was hoping Subaru from Ro-Kyu-Bu! would be able to find work…
    …is it the same voice actor? He almost looks the same, too…

So far for the first episode, I’m reminded of Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko,
    except the futon is replaced by a cube (and some extra fan service -
    just sayin’, not hatin’). But it doesn’t seem to have the initial impact
    of Dragon Crisis!

I’m reserving judgement for now…

• October 2, 2011 at 10:34 amTJsama

I’m starting to hate Fiya (or Fear). There’s a limit to clumsiness. Though if Kanae Ito did the voice for her it’ll rather interesting.

• October 2, 2011 at 6:59 pmSilver

Clumsiness? I don’t really think it was clumsiness. She just don’t know how to do anything yet… and besides those monstrous strength of hers does not help either.

• October 3, 2011 at 8:24 amTJsama

Well, I agree that it was not clumsiness (that was my anger talking). I mean, If I don’t know how to do stuff, then I won’t do it and ask for the “how to”. Not just blatantly wing it like what she did.

• October 2, 2011 at 11:13 amrasone0104

well this might be a good fight to a somewhat action packed season.
    kinda reminds me a bit of denpa atm.

• October 2, 2011 at 11:23 amCroos

Why do I see Konata(Lucky Star) in Fiya/Fear.

• October 2, 2011 at 11:35 amInoriDisward

Not a bad first episode actually. I’ll continue watching and see how it goes…

• October 2, 2011 at 4:32 pmbullrogg

i wish i can approach my house chores like that…with the vigor. not the house redecorating…

fun first episode can’t wait for more

• October 2, 2011 at 6:01 pmlkaze

That right, and he even need 20 second to do it. That is stupid, even a 5 years old can do it faster.

• October 3, 2011 at 6:26 amcybersteel

Agreed.

• October 2, 2011 at 6:09 pmbijyu

catch viewers with cutesy episode and then turn the series up in the death. Ill give it a few episode. With the baka test similarity I was hoping for something akin to that to replace my lost favorite series of last season. It doesn’t help that the subtitles I watched were horrible but this show hasnt left a big impression on me. Give it a few more episodes.

• October 2, 2011 at 6:59 pmSilver

Lol! Right at the introduction, I was like “Nanoha?” and I then realized the person who voiced Fear was Tamura Yukari.

Anyways this so far seems pretty interesting. Liked how Fear was trying to help out with catastrophic effect. It’s also nice that she tried to help out pretty much on her first day of staying there.

• October 2, 2011 at 7:00 pmKelfistan

WORST CLEANER EVER, WORST CLEANER EVER!!!

• October 2, 2011 at 8:22 pmEveryday Otaku

I like how Fear has cubes coming out of her hair in the hair sweep scenes. Reminded me of Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

• October 2, 2011 at 10:25 pmDireDireLocks

I like the girl with blue hair!! She reminds me of a girl I knew. She was speshull to me. <3

• October 2, 2011 at 11:58 pmbaltar

Good lord, this is amazingly well drawn. It’s got all the Bakatest lighting, Angel Beats particles, and amazingly textured backgrounds.

• October 3, 2011 at 7:45 amDan

I don’t really like how they adapted to the fact that an inanimate object became a girl so quickly and simply left the house to her.
    I know this is a romcom but still…

• October 6, 2011 at 11:40 amDivine

Keep in mind that Fear’s not the first cursed item that Haruaki’s had to take care of. As mentioned, Konoha used to be like that too.

• October 3, 2011 at 8:18 amAnn

Ehhh. I couldn’t even make it through the entire first episode. Even with promises of “oh, it will get dark later!” I don’t see myself keeping up with this series. It’s being compared to Madoka already, but the difference between the two, in my opinion, is that Madoka actually had some interesting aspects even while being played (mostly) straight. I probably would have continued to watch it as a played-straight, slightly darker than normal (the creepy witch labyrinths were there from the very beginning) magical girl series. But C3 seems to be just piggybacking off Denpa Onna and Madoka and some other series, creating this weird conglomerate that doesn’t quite work. The pacing was also way too fast, like they were trying to get through the light and fluffy parts as fast as they can in order to get to the dark ~twist~ the ending and OP allude to.

• October 3, 2011 at 8:26 amTJsama

The story is going to be dark? (I didn’t read the manga) The way the first episode is going, I was thinking something in line of comedy (i.e. something like Ika musume)

• October 3, 2011 at 1:47 pmAnn

I was just reading over some of the above comments, plus that one scene in the end OP sequences where they’re all in the rain. I haven’t read any of the manga or any related discussions. I was thinking simple comedy too, until I saw that one scene in the OP, but who knows. I just know if it takes the grimmdark route I won’t be surprised, which kind of defeats the purpose.

• October 4, 2011 at 3:00 pmSoiyeruda

I think it’s being compared to Madoka in the sense that the story looks meh right now, but later on, the series will take a dark turn and become a lot more serious.

I can’t see this show comparing to Madoka in that sense, just based off this first episode. Madoka never tried to go for cheap laughs even in its first 2 episodes, and it’s quite obvious that C^3 will remain a comedy, even when it gets to the srs bsns.

• October 3, 2011 at 8:26 amDelwack

What appears to be a generic romcom? Good enough I suppose, though definitely not going to be anywhere near the top of the priority list. Promise of it getting dark (and maybe even serious later) would be a bonus. This episode didn’t really either impress or disappoint. I think this series falls squarely into the watch if you have free time category.

• October 3, 2011 at 9:57 amGhostalker

I like the animation and the character designs so far, a nice introductory episode this is.

• October 3, 2011 at 9:42 pmzzz

honestly, i hope this anime dont have ANY censorship.

• October 4, 2011 at 1:49 amboingman

The OP reminded me of an other anime opening. Possibly FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood Opening 5?
    After Yukaria Tamura’s role as Suzuha in Steins; Gate now her giving her voice to another loli feels like a step back.
    Don’t know for how long I’ll continue to watch this, since this first episode felt so bland/rushed, but at least there were some nice pantsu scenes.

• October 4, 2011 at 4:11 pmXin

I’ll believe the word on the street that there’s a good/darker plot down the line and stick with it for a bit, even though this intro ep. didn’t really grab me. I will thank Fear for giving me some Togame vibes though and reminding me that I’ve been meaning to do a full re-watch of Katanagatari :p

• October 9, 2011 at 12:53 pmdmysta3000

Re: second episode.

Well Divine, looks like you were wrong about this show being a romantic comedy. 0_0

• October 10, 2011 at 9:31 amjuanito55

Divine I hope you follow this anime, it realy got interesting and I want to know what you thnik about it.

• October 10, 2011 at 10:25 amPride

I think Fear is extremely cute, so it’d be nice to have screen caps of more episodes also. She prances around in her school uniform in ep 2 :)

• October 17, 2011 at 1:32 amAnimekami

i wonder why episode 2 and 3 wasnt covered? C3 have just gotten cooler… and the bad ass fear is bad ass… i always like superbly cute innocent anime girls, with a bloody murderous ego… fear kubrick is one hella exmaple.

• October 17, 2011 at 1:53 amay ya ya ya ya

Yes I agree. Divine please review episode 2 and 3, because IMHO C3 is just another under estimated anime, I thought it was just another harem comedy genre, but it actually has serious plot with bloody stuffs which I like.

• October 19, 2011 at 5:10 amKonglomerated

what the heck only episode 1 cover? i agree… c3 is one anime that is clearly UNDERESTIMATED… we are yet to see the best of it animation and story wise…

• October 17, 2011 at 4:27 ambakakubi

Divine, you should catch up to the latest eps, which are eps 2 and 3. You’ll be in for a treat ^_^

• November 10, 2011 at 3:05 amelior1

devine please do review for episode 2 and 3 it become gore anime from this point

• November 23, 2011 at 8:55 pmThe Moondoggie

Has Divine dropped C3? Guess so.