Steins;Gate – Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu (Movie) »« Steins;Gate – 24 (END)

Steins;Gate – 25 (Bonus Episode)

Steins Gate   25   01 Steins Gate   25   02 Steins Gate   25   03
Steins Gate   25   04 Steins Gate   25   05 Steins Gate   25   06
Steins Gate   25   07 Steins Gate   25   08 Steins Gate   25   09
Steins Gate   25   10 Steins Gate   25   11 Steins Gate   25   12
Steins Gate   25   13 Steins Gate   25   14 Steins Gate   25   15
Steins Gate   25   16 Steins Gate   25   17 Steins Gate   25   18
Steins Gate   25   19 Steins Gate   25   20 Steins Gate   25   21
Steins Gate   25   22 Steins Gate   25   23 Steins Gate   25   24
Steins Gate   25   25 Steins Gate   25   26 Steins Gate   25   27
Steins Gate   25   28 Steins Gate   25   29 Steins Gate   25   30
Steins Gate   25   31 Steins Gate   25   32 Steins Gate   25   33
Steins Gate   25   34 Steins Gate   25   35 Steins Gate   25   36
Steins Gate   25   37 Steins Gate   25   38 Steins Gate   25   39
Steins Gate   25   40 Steins Gate   25   41 Steins Gate   25   42

「シュタインズ ゲート 横行跋扈のポリオマニア」 (Oukoubakko no Poriomania)
“Egoistic Poriomania”

It would be hard to imagine a S;G fan not enjoying this bonus episode, because it managed to hit pretty much all the right buttons.

It’s great to have Steins;Gate back, if you’ll allow me to state the obvious. This was one of the best series of 2011 (I had it at #3) and probably the most accomplished, in that it told a complete story from start to finish and combined comedy, mystery, suspense and romance brilliantly. If I had to pick two elements that I loved best among the many I loved, I think the first would be the dialogue – it’s razor-sharp with an irresistible rhythm of its own, like the banter of a 1930’s screwball comedy. The other would be the stunning work of the cast, especially Miyano Mamoru as Okabe. This was my #1 seiyuu performance of 2011, and to hear Miyano-san in the role again is a joy, especially coming as it does during the run of Chihayafuru, where he’s delivering my favorite performance of 2012 as Taichi. That one actor could excel in two such spectacularly different roles is a testament to just how good Miyano is.

In terms of the bonus episode, it offered a little of everything that viewers (fans of the game and new alike) loved. We had lots of otaku meta-humor, great banter, Okabe-Kurisu romance, and loads of self-referential world-building. It also offered a pretty good head-fake in the intro, which featured Okarin walking through what looked like a post-apocalyptic wasteland talking of The Organization having bested him. But this wasn’t a new world line – no, just the desert east of LA, and Okarin had (as usual) gotten himself into trouble of his own making. It all starts out innocently enough, with Okabe, Mayuri, Daru and Ruka jetting off to LA to catch Feyris in a Rainet tournament (which she wins). This is the America as seen in anime – absurdly overdramatized, with every stereotype played up to the max. Kurisu (who has returned to America after the events of episode 24) drives a pink Cadillac, and just outside LA is a stylized world of 1950s motels and Route 66 diners, as if LA sprawl stopped at Disney Hall and Eisenhower was still President.

While the raison d’etre of the episode was to get Okabe and Kurisu together to further explore their feelings, there was a whole lot of fun stuff on the way. We had Okabe getting arrested twice, the first with Miyano-san getting to show off his hilarious Engrish again. Note to self – “I am mad scientist. United States. Chaos. And invade!” is the wrong thing to say to Homeland Security. And trying to talk your way out of trouble in German probably doesn’t help either. And leave to to S;G to distill the essence of trap-moe into one concise phrase – “He’s a dude, but who cares!” There was the little matter of the sleeping arrangements in the fleabag motel Kurisu found for the group, with Ruka being only too willing to share with Okarin. And for good measure, we got Diet Dr. Pepper and Kurisu in a maid costume with nekomimi.

On a slightly more serious note, we also had a chance meeting between Okarin and who I can only assume is Suzuha’s mother – there were certainly enough hints dropped, right down to Daru sneezing when she talked about getting married and having a kid in seven years. It’s a lot to ask of coincidence but who knows in this mythology, and it was nice to see Suzuha involved. In Okabe following her to the desert as she made her way to Vegas, it was also the setup to the main event of the ep – Okarin meeting up with Kurisu, who’d chased after Okabe to rescue him from himself. After Suzuha’s Mom leaves the diner where Okabe had finally caught her up and continues her journey, Okabe is stranded with 67 cents and a dead cell phone – until Kurisu finds him (herself with a dead pink Caddy and a dead cell phone) sprawled on the road.

Now these two certainly had unfinished business after the finale, and it was pleasing to see how direct Okabe was in addressing the feelings unspoken between them. He had to tread carefully, but once he was sure she still had memories of what they’d shared – albeit only in her dreams – he had the green-light to open himself up to her. It was interesting that while Kurisu was still in Japan he’d brought her up to speed only on the general topics of the world lines and the time machine, but not of his confession. But this time Okabe laid it on the table, telling Kurisu that he’d confessed to her in that world line, and that the event had been totally real – to him – and that he loved her in any timeline. While some may feel the episode ended ambiguously, I think it was very clear what was to come after “Close your eyes”.

If indeed this is the finale for this version of the S;G universe, I think the extra episode provides excellent closure and does so in a manner consistent with the quality of the TV series. The upcoming movie may or may not be set in this world line, but at this point I’m happy either way – there’s plenty more of interest if they choose to pick up from here, but I’m happy leaving the characters where they are if it’s set in an alternate timeline. In any shape and form, more Steins:Gate is always a good thing.

February 24, 2012 at 5:36 pm
  • February 24, 2012 at 5:45 pmKorin

El Psy Congroo!

• February 24, 2012 at 5:49 pmboingman

El Psy Congroo!

Really enjoyed this episode, as expected. Have yet to find a series after this one that comes close, but the year just began. :)

• February 24, 2012 at 6:22 pmrasone0104

El Psy Congroo

• February 24, 2012 at 6:34 pmKentaiyoshimi

El Psy Congroo!!

• February 24, 2012 at 6:41 pmItachizame

El Psy Congroo!

• February 24, 2012 at 7:20 pmMayuri

Tutturu~ El Psy Congroo!

• February 24, 2012 at 7:34 pmGuardian Enzo

The one element of fanservice this ep was missing – a “tutturu”.

• February 25, 2012 at 12:49 amc2710

• February 25, 2012 at 6:47 amBass.EXE

C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

• February 25, 2012 at 8:21 amD-LaN

El Psy Kangeroooooo~

• February 24, 2012 at 5:49 pmJhacks

DAT ENDING!! ><
    This is how fanservice episode should be done.

• February 24, 2012 at 5:56 pmIcicleEdge

• February 24, 2012 at 10:35 pmukato

IT’S A PINNNNCH~!

• February 25, 2012 at 2:26 pmJustinnnnnn

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!! Also, isn’t he the voice actor of Star Driver’s main character too x) ?!?!?

• February 24, 2012 at 10:53 pmKentaiyoshimi

IT’S A WONDER!!

• February 24, 2012 at 5:56 pmClick

Awww yeaaahhh, a bonus episode for arguably one of the best visual novel adaptions of all time.

For a bonus episode made solely to draw in more Blu-ray sales, this was a damn good episode. And even though I’m currently ignoring the highly inaccurate depiction of LA for now, this had all the bits and pieces aside from the sophisticated plot (but that’s unnecessary at this point!!!) which made viewers fall in love with Stein’s; Gate. I loved how the OVA answered some of the unanswered questions and built upon what we were already given (although I don’t consider this the true ending of the series).

• February 24, 2012 at 5:58 pmhoiut

A perfect combination of cute and spicy, wedding all the daily life elements in the first arc of Steins;Gate to the finishing touches in the last. Definitely a satisfying post-finale.

• February 24, 2012 at 6:08 pmJif

That ending was absolutely perfect. The desert felt more like a drunkenly-staggering-out-of-Vegas moreso than LA. Either way, nothing short of perfection for our favorite mad scientist.

• February 24, 2012 at 6:14 pmThe Divine Boss

this is probably oversaid, but this seriously is my favorite anime of all time.

• February 24, 2012 at 6:21 pmgandalf8

This episode perfectly fulfilled the role of an extra episode which is to give its fans more of what made made the original so good. Watching this made me reminisce about all the good times we had with the Future Gadget Lab members in the series, from Okarin’s hammy act of a mad scientist, to the awesomeness of traps in the form of Ruka, or Feyris-tan steamrolling all to reach the pinnacle of the Rainet world. It made me realize how much I’ve missed all these people and their antics, and in that regard I think that this extra episode is a big success. In the end, I have just one thing left to say:-

El. Psy. Congroo.

• February 24, 2012 at 6:38 pmKentaiyoshimi

Exactly what I felt as well. This episode included everything that I loved about Steins;Gate. From Okabe’s hilarious engrish to the reminder that Rukako is a guy (I had completely forgot), everything was was done perfectly for me.

• February 24, 2012 at 7:52 pmMasterDragonKnight

“I don’t mind, if it’s with Kyouma-san.”

“But he’s a guy.”

• February 24, 2012 at 6:21 pmrasone0104

The minute i heard they were going abroad i just knew okabe was gonna get arrested.

~Love this episode great epilogue for both the vn and the anime

• February 24, 2012 at 6:29 pmpwnzaursaurus

I can’t help but love this series. Stein’s Gate was my choice of the year, and that too must be the choice of Stein’s Gate.

El. Psy. Congroo

• February 24, 2012 at 6:41 pmbluejuice

Pros:
    - El Psy Congroo!
    - I am mad scientist. United States. Chaos. And invade!
    - I am mad scientist, sonuvabich
    - Diet Dr. Pepper

Cons:
    - No “Tutturu” :p

• February 24, 2012 at 6:42 pmKentaiyoshimi

The last scene between Okabe and Kurisu was done exceptionally well. It got me to rewatch ep. 22 (great episode, btw), which reminded me exactly why I love this series so much.

El Psy Congroo

• February 24, 2012 at 6:43 pmTakaii

I haven’t even finished watching but to my fellow anime expo goers:

Didn’t that scene at the Staples Center and the one with Kurisu serving Okabe TOTALLY remind you of Anime Expo!? It’s almost like.. it could have happened.

• February 24, 2012 at 7:11 pmMiharu~

This anime in my opinion is a masterpiece , I confirmed it with this OVA *-*
    There wasn’t any “Tutturu~” but the Engrish & okarin being arrested was enough *0*
    EL Psy Congroo~

• February 24, 2012 at 7:32 pmfragb85

Wait what!?!? Is she supposed to be Yuki Amane!? Because she looks nothing like Daru’s future wife! She isn’t even a cosplayer like the side materials stated. The Stein’s Gate adaptation has been faithful to the source material, so how could they possibly miss that!? Unless she’s either a retcon or a red herring.

Other than that glaring mistake the rest of the episode was great. I enjoyed how OkabeHOUOIN KYOUMA keeps getting arrested for stupid reasons. Was that a subtle take that to homeland security? Of course whenever he’s with Kurisu its always sweet DAAAAAAW moents.

• February 24, 2012 at 8:04 pmKiryu

I noticed that too, but can’t tell if that was an oversight or not. Unless Daru’s wife is wearing both a wig and contacts in those pictures, they look nothing alike. She never mentioned her name though, so we’ll never know for sure if it really was Yuki, even if Daru sneezing seems to suggest so.

I guess they just needed an excuse to show Suzuha’s ‘form’, seeing as the special episode is a reunion of sorts to showcase all our favorite characters again.

• February 24, 2012 at 7:53 pmStyfles

spelling mistake: “Okabe, Mayrui, Daru and Ruka jetting off to LA to ”
    Mayrui –> Mayuri

El Psy Congroo.

PS why was there a timer? did whatever-that-happens-right-after-the-”close-your-eyes” happen at exactly the same time in the different worldlines? :O

• February 24, 2012 at 9:20 pmD-LaN

What timer?

• February 24, 2012 at 8:06 pmkurochan

Kurisu: Close you eyes… Chuuu~
    Okabe : Not enough!
    Kurisu: Eh~!

And you know the rest what will happen…

• February 24, 2012 at 8:19 pmKusabi

Daga… otoko da.

• February 24, 2012 at 8:25 pmDjalaal

Okarin and ChisTINA’s arguments never get old.
    Like Mayuri said: “they sure get along, don’t they”

• February 24, 2012 at 9:36 pmD-LaN

Tsunderes sure make a interesting couple, don’t they?

• February 24, 2012 at 8:26 pmAvalanche

I can’t talk, the Organization is on to me. All I have to say before they trace this account is that this episode was enjoyable, and I couldn’t help but lol at the sexy weather woman. Crap. It seems I was too late. Start Operation Exodus Valkyrie.

E.l Psy. Congroo.

• February 24, 2012 at 8:30 pmexia

Closure sure does feel good.

• February 24, 2012 at 8:32 pmOhSnap

I loved the Star Driver easter egg (“It’s a motel!”) that was inputted.

Same seiyuu.

• February 24, 2012 at 10:21 pmJulio

From what part of Star Driver did they get that from? Same seiyuu? who?

• February 25, 2012 at 4:19 amHachi

Haven’t watched Star Driver but guessing Miyano Mamoru. Takuto=Okarin.

• February 24, 2012 at 8:44 pmWerpi

Movie should be set in timeline which lead to world war 3, up to the point in 2025 where Nae tortures and kills Okabe (that little bitch, daughter of store owner)

• February 24, 2012 at 8:46 pmWerpi

Nope this is not a spoiler.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:19 pmJD

This is the America as seen in anime – absurdly overdramatized, with every stereotype played up to the max. Kurisu (who has returned to America after the events of episode 24) drives a pink Cadillac, and just outside LA is a stylized world of 1950s motels and Route 66 diners…

To be honest, I do have this image of L.A. – well, at least in the outskirts – in my mind…

Really good, quality episode. The scenes in the desert (e.g. motel exterior, Okabe running) have outstanding art and animation.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:39 pmGuardian Enzo

That’s cartoon LA, “I Love Lucy” LA – but it makes good copy. And yes, the art and animation of those scenes was really, really good.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:20 pmShinji

I didn’t know how much I missed this show until watching this wonderful bonus…And seriously, no Tutturu (even though I have Mayuri saying it over and over as my phone ring)?

• February 24, 2012 at 9:48 pmChaos Raiden

Excellent episode. It provides great closure to the series perfectly.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:54 pmD-LaN

Starbocks and Dk Pepper spotted!

Rukako sure have it hard… Trap moe is more popular in US?
    Kurisu in maid suie… ’nuff said. (from Hiyoku Renri no Darling?)
    Mayuri needs more tuturus~
    WTH does Moeka wants?

Note to self: Dont act lk a mad scientist in US.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:59 pmGuardian Enzo

WTH does Moeka wants?

Anything but macadamia nuts. Chocolate is fine.

• February 24, 2012 at 10:09 pmronbb

Great OVA – it sure is fun to watch, and it’s a nice closure to the series. I can’t wait for the movie to come out.

• February 24, 2012 at 10:24 pm9

Anyone else notice that the taxi cab driver was the guy that sold the badges in Akihabara when Okabe and Suzuha were searching? XD or at least it reminded me kinda lol

• February 24, 2012 at 11:23 pmGuardian Enzo

I thought he looked similar, but I wasn’t sure if he was supposed to be the same guy or not…

• February 25, 2012 at 2:28 pmJustinnnnnn

It was a nice eyecandy from the studio anyway!

• February 24, 2012 at 10:40 pmOwaranai

Okabe has got to be a prophet. Seems like he finally got what he wanted – attention (albeit unwanted) from the authorities twice.

Superb ending. I love how they actually teased us with the ending. Though we know what’s coming next, we don’t get to see it, but are left to our imaginations to pan the scene out.

This is the will of Steins; Gate, indeed.

• February 24, 2012 at 10:42 pmMatt

I was too pre-occupied by the Okabe x Kurisu that I didn’t realize. How ARE they going to get back?

Indeed all this episode was missing was the Tutturu~!! Hopefully they’ll abuse it in the movie to make up for the lack of it here.

Any ideas on the movie? Can’t wait for it. Like you said “In any shape and form, more Steins:Gate is always a good thing.”

• February 24, 2012 at 10:50 pmAlec

“close your eyes”
    just three words, yet tells alot xD
    I just love how subtle that part was

• February 25, 2012 at 12:25 amBeedle

Crap, I actually forgot there was a S;G movie coming up o_o

Now I really wonder what it’s going to be about xD

• February 25, 2012 at 12:31 amVinchester

lol’ed so hard at Okabe’s tendency to get arrested in the USA.

• February 25, 2012 at 12:58 amThe Story You Don’t Know

Kurisu: Close your eyes.

Damn, I felt a chill down my spine <3
    I'd say this is the perfect ending for them. And at last, Supah Hackah's wife was finally shown in TV!

• February 25, 2012 at 1:54 amLitho

I’ll miss Mayushi!! :(

Good ep, for the most part.

• February 25, 2012 at 1:56 amTarge

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So good! The hopeless romantic in me was screaming at the end. What a killer last line. Knocked it right out of the park!

• February 25, 2012 at 1:59 amLuxor

Aww shit… I thought I got over my Steins;Gate withdrawal since the season finale, but all this did was rekindle it. Need more! T_T

• February 25, 2012 at 2:36 amZaku Fan

This was a great episode, i laughed at Okarin getting arrested twice for his silliness and the scene where everyone was doing what they did in the lab as Okabe stared at the tv wa a great call back. Mayuri must really like sewing. As an episode to finally wrap up Kurisu and Okarin’s relationship, its a fitting end to the series as a whole and props to Okarin’s VA for doing his character so well especially the gentle but matter of fact tone where he told Kurisu he loved her. The only missing thing was more Moeka, whose VA really impressed me during the episode where Okarin forcefully grabbed her phone.

• February 25, 2012 at 2:45 amnagi

S;G will never get old!

El. Psy. Congroo.

BTW, it’s Kurisu’s car!! http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2E_ejIs5XWz_uEAb_NSYI2Yy97nURn4Pm3xzBRfOw2EnUI_LrYw

I really want to own one. :3

• February 25, 2012 at 3:27 amCybersteel

I really miss this show alot. That rare type of “awesomeness” anime that comes once a year if you’re lucky.

Good thing though I have both the VN for PSP and PC so I’m good till either the movie or the 8-bit game sequel to come.

…Or till at least Robotic Notes get’s a release.

• February 25, 2012 at 4:39 amHagiri

Steins; Gate

• February 25, 2012 at 5:07 amKratos

Sweet jesus, my prayers have been fulfilled.

• February 25, 2012 at 6:16 amU Doh

The pink Caddy should have come from the K-ON world line.

• February 25, 2012 at 8:13 amBear

The ending seemed like a homage to the Sopranos. Somehow I actually expect him to get slapped instead of kissed (I know I’ve got no romance in my soul).

• February 25, 2012 at 8:48 amc2710

this certainly is a moving episode…… cant help it but root for okarin x christina

• February 25, 2012 at 11:28 amSingerOfW

What do you mean, “Excellent closure”? How the hell are they supposed to get back to Japan with no gas, no money and dead phones?

I kid, I kid, it’s so nice to have the cast back for more antics, especially when there are no inconsistencies with time travels around. Proved to me once again that S;G is all about its characters, not its plot.

• February 25, 2012 at 12:28 pmthenewhorde

All this aside, what I really want to know is what happens to the original Mayushi that isn’t affected by the World Line changes? Is she just going to die alone there with Suzuha? I’m talking back in the anime how Okabe “dreamed” of Mayushi original speaking about being the beginning of the world and fade to dust. Later on it was shown that when Okabe took the time machine to save Kurisu for the first time and he failed, what actually happened was he gave up and lived normally and 23 (future Mayushi) + 1 (failed to save Kurisu world line Mayushi) years of regret Mayushi had was delivered to the present (world line A) Mayushi through a cell phone call from future (1 year later) Mayushi. Telling her to stop Okarin at all cost, that’s why Mayushi slapped Okarin on the face and told him to not give up and go back to saving Kurisu again.

But the 1 year later (original) Mayushi who traveled back in time to call the present Mayushi went back with Suzuha on the time machine but it ran out of fuel and was sent into a time warp whole into anywhere within history (which is shown in Okabe’s dream as in the beginning of the world).

So what I REALLY want to know is since no changing the past and world line can change the fate of original Mayushi because she’s so far in the past that no matter what past is changed, it will never reach her and thus she’ll never change because changing the future isn’t changing the past, which she waits for Okarin in. Does she literally just fades into dust like Okabe’s dreams or will she ever be saved? What the heck is going to happen to her?

• February 25, 2012 at 12:44 pmZaku Fan

She’s gone, basically she and Suzuha are going to be stuck there until they run out of air, food and water. Also, that was not the original Mayuri. That was a Mayuri from one of the infinite or near infinite time lines in the Alpha world line. I think the drama cd you’re talking about mentioned the divergence number.

Basically with the many worlds interpretion and SG’s attractor field concept, there should be 1 original timeline branch that kicked off into the Alpha timeline. That should be the original Mayuri though, who she is (ie which divergence number) is really unknown.

• February 25, 2012 at 12:39 pmPtolemaios00

Awww…I wanted something more concrete after the ED, but I guess the tsundere ending is more Steins;Gate like. Still, nothing to complain about, bonus episode was everything I loved about Steins;Gate and then some. Awesome manly confession from Okarin on par with Araragi’s.

I like how they even cloned the cafeteria area from LA Convention Center where Anime Expo is usually held.

• February 25, 2012 at 1:57 pmBio D

I started grinning like an idiot the moment I saw this here. Steins;Gate plays with my emotions in ways few things can.
    Perfect coda to an amazing series.

• February 25, 2012 at 4:50 pmEnd3rr

DAT Makise Blush.

• February 25, 2012 at 6:22 pmfluca

“In any world line, any time, any place, I love you”.

Perfect line coming from the perfect anime.

El Psy Congroo.

• February 25, 2012 at 7:43 pmSlushiZ

El Psy Congroo!

• February 25, 2012 at 9:40 pmTwigster

First comment on this site and had to add my

El Psy Congroo!

• February 25, 2012 at 10:18 pmlala

The confession scene in this ep is basically a repeat of how it occurred in episode 22.

“Do you really want to know? …close your eyes”

• February 26, 2012 at 7:07 amNaruSaku

El Psy Congroo!

• February 26, 2012 at 11:39 amReadingSteiner

The first scene’s level of awesomeness increased by several orders of magnitude once I found out that Okarin’s cell phone is dead. Delusion win!

• February 26, 2012 at 7:02 pmderp…

I seriously loved this show so much. I wish the Vn could be translated.

• February 26, 2012 at 7:15 pmKusabi

Especially for PSP version, considering Blazblue CT and CS II were translated.

• February 28, 2012 at 9:09 pmDa5id

I’m actually just getting halfway with this show. Starting on Episode 11 now.

So…is really a Ruka a girl now?

• February 28, 2012 at 9:10 pmDa5id

FUCK.

Is Ruka really a girl now?

• June 14, 2012 at 7:54 amMimS

I wish there was a new anime that make me participate in discussions of this blog x)

God, almost one year, just watched this ep : Nice conclusion
    It would have been a nice paradox if Daru actually met his future wife thanks to Okabe like : “in fact, Suzuha was born ’cause Okabe knew she had to and he’s the reason of her birth” but that’s just me being picky

Have to admit, I haven’t seen anything as good as this show since then…

• July 13, 2012 at 8:14 pmTopboy

This was one of the best series of 2011 (I had it at #3) —-> For me S;G is the best series of 2011 (1.S;G 2.Ano Hana 3.Hana Iro)

May be I should start play S;G vn after all?