Senki Zesshou Symphogear – 10 »« Senki Zesshou Symphogear – 08

Senki Zesshou Symphogear – 09

Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   01 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   02 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   03
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   04 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   05 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   06
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   07 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   08 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   09
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   10 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   11 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   12
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   13 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   14 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   15
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   16 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   17 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   18
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   19 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   20 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   21
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   22 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   23 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   24
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   25 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   26 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   27
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   28 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   29 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   30
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   31 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   32 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   33
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   34 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   35 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   36
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   37 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   38 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   09   39

「防人の歌」 (Sakimori no Uta)
“A Sentinel’s Song”

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Elements Garden’s original series when I looked into it for the season preview, and now, a good three quarters through it, I’m actually still not sure what I’m in store for. I thought I had a good idea of where things were headed with Finè abandoning Kurisu and leaving her to her own devices, but the writers have not only prolonged the Ichii-Bal user’s switchover to the good guys’ side, they’ve started to make me wonder if it’ll even happen. What’s more, the focus has moved away from from Finè being the ultimate antagonist in recent episodes with Ryouko showing some regret over what she’s doing to the eager youngins who still trust her. The real kicker though is Tsubasa’s sudden interest in performing overseas now that she’s been approached by one Tony Glazer (Nakamura Hidetoshi), which seems to further remove her from the Noise side of things. This is only shortly after she finally recovered from singing her “zesshou” too.

As unusual as it may sound, I actually think these unexpected developments are something that the series has going for it at the moment. (Well that, and Kurisu starring in the next “Got Milk?” commercial.) While Symphogear hasn’t exactly done anything terribly thus far, except maybe Yuuki Aoi getting a bit too “creative” with her voice for Hibiki at times, it hasn’t done anything particularly stellar to make it memorable either. Lately, it’s been missing the same kind of “oomph” that it had in the premiere, so until things eventually move forward enough to get back to that cold open, anything that the story does to veer off a potentially predictable path can only really work in the series’ favor. I have no idea how this series will end and I don’t know what will become of Tsubasa’s newfound perspective on life, but I am starting to wonder if “Mr. Glazer” has an ulterior motive. Say, the United States luring Tsubasa away from Japan to acquire a Symphogear for themselves?

It’s definitely a possibility and one I wouldn’t be the least bit opposed to seeing since the U.S.’s interest in Symphogears has been brought up several times in the past already. A small plot twist like that would also tie in nicely with Finè’s dealings with America, making this overseas subplot not as unrelated as it seems now. Of course, if this turns out to be nothing more than an excuse to put Tsubasa on stage and listen to Mizuki Nana sing like she did here, I’d be perfectly fine with that too. The Enka was a nice touch. Go Nana.

* I’m kind of relieved I didn’t have to hear Yuuki Aoi sing. I love her voice acting, but her in-character singing not so much. Her GOSICK character single was pretty good though — when it wasn’t in character.
* Full-length images: 11, 15, 16, 19, 20, 24, 32, 34, 35, 38.

March 7, 2012 at 12:07 am
  • March 7, 2012 at 12:22 amBijyu

This show chose a poor time to be “ok”. Too many other better shows this season and with Mass effect and SFxT out I just don’t have time for average. Maybe if the later episodes get positive reviews I will wrap up the series. I might just do it anyways since with 8 episodes down and 4 left it would only take a bit over an hour to finish up the series.

• March 7, 2012 at 12:09 pmAni_BEE

I agree with 4 episodes left you can’t jsut do an “ok” job with the plot at this point. The intro arc got me hooked but it feels like it’s lost momentum.

Sorry to got completely off topic at this point.
      I think for next season I’ll wait a bit before jumping on new shows. A lot of my favorite as squeals are ending this season and starting up a few new ones to take there place.

Fate/Zero 2
      Kimi to Boku. 2 (fills the Natsume Yuujinchou whole)
      Eureka Seven Ao (I’m not sure how this is going to pan out it’s the first squeal for a Bones original)

New ones of interest.
      Accel World (visually interesting)
      Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
      Hyou-ka
      Shining Hearts (because I’m a huge RPG fan but have been getting away from play 80+ hours on them)
      Hiiro no Kakera (watched episode 1 but the plot is somewhat lacking with all the introductions and the history lessons)
      Sengoku Collection (brain base has been treating us well but I’m just not sure of this one. I hope it pans out like Princess Tutu rather then a Moe trap.)

• March 7, 2012 at 12:49 amsuff

I am a little confused over how the plot will advance from this point…

• March 7, 2012 at 1:34 amdeafvader

Enka was nice.
    Hibiki’s voice is still irritating.

@Suff: simple answer. Suddenly a boss appears. They fight the boss. Then Lab lady shows up and transforms into true boss. They fight. End.

• March 7, 2012 at 1:37 amricz

This one needs 2 season for a good ending(and plot dev.):C
    But of course it’s impossible so I’m hoping for a “decent” ending

• March 7, 2012 at 1:45 amjoeshen

The plot development took a side turn with this episode, and while I agree with you on the whole “playing out” scenario with the U.S. as a possible out, the idea of a trifecta team of Tsubasa, Hibiki, and Kurisu is something I want to see.

… and where has Fine been? It’s been a little “too” quiet…

• March 7, 2012 at 6:22 amKitsu

Sad, this going to be the only ”ok” episode, now with star with our tears

• March 7, 2012 at 7:57 amCAPTAIN MAR-KLAC-VELOUS

looking at it yea breather relax ep

give some hmm like yea genjuro & chris give genjuro did some digging on chris’ past & etc want to help give chris want to do it alone even more give sure help hibiki but still confuse what to do yea wonder what would chris would do next?

also give hmm on ryoko sure bit lmao punch-kick tsukasa’s glasses guy give mention some love story give some “hmm” like she got a “secret” or “something”.

etc yea rest relax, fun, & good times with doing from clothes, arcade, singing & etc wtih tsukasa doing a concert & want sing for everyone.

so yea breather ep so next one going be big WHAT?

• March 7, 2012 at 10:34 amEnmire

Revenge of the Klac?

• March 8, 2012 at 3:06 amCAPTAIN MAR-KLAC-VELOUS

what revenge you speaking on?

give looking at remain eps yea expect more WHAM, twist, reveal ,etc at least it not degrassi.

besides cause i got gut feeling yea next eps would be breaking point.

• March 9, 2012 at 9:34 pmJay

…which I think is everyone’s idea as of now.

• March 7, 2012 at 8:16 amPtolemaios00

I’m holding out a little suspicion that Ryoko may be a red herring, and Fine could be her twin sister or something. They kind of make it TOO obvious otherwise. Then again, this series is pretty straightforward.

• March 7, 2012 at 10:46 amJulio

Glad I dropped it after 4 episodes, I thought it was going to get better by now.

• March 7, 2012 at 1:14 pmzuuuul

Episode 4 was the low point. The show redeemed itself a little bit after that.
      Especially putting Chris more in the spotlight was a good idea.

• March 8, 2012 at 6:31 amMockman

I stuck with it for seven. I didn’t really have expectations that it would get better but I think it got worse. I couldn’t deal with Chris’ psychotic pacifist anymore, and fights where characters bring everything but tactical nukes but nobody gets hurt are embarrassing. And while Tsubasa seemed to be changing into less of a paper-thin character, it didn’t seem to be going anywhere. After every episode, I’d hold my head in my hands and wonder what I’d just watched, so I figured I’d stop.