Uchuu Kyoudai – 02 »

Uchuu Kyoudai – 01

OP Sequence

Uchuu Kyoudai   OP   01 Uchuu Kyoudai   OP   02 Uchuu Kyoudai   OP   03
Uchuu Kyoudai   OP   04 Uchuu Kyoudai   OP   05 Uchuu Kyoudai   OP   06

OP: 「Feel So Moon」 by ユニコーン (Unicorn)

Watch the OP!: Streaming ▼

Uchuu Kyoudai   01   01 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   02 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   03
Uchuu Kyoudai   01   04 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   05 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   06
Uchuu Kyoudai   01   07 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   08 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   09
Uchuu Kyoudai   01   10 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   11 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   12
Uchuu Kyoudai   01   13 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   14 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   15
Uchuu Kyoudai   01   16 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   17 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   18
Uchuu Kyoudai   01   19 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   20 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   21
Uchuu Kyoudai   01   22 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   23 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   24
Uchuu Kyoudai   01   25 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   26 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   27
Uchuu Kyoudai   01   28 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   29 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   30
Uchuu Kyoudai   01   31 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   32 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   33
Uchuu Kyoudai   01   34 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   35 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   36

「弟ヒビトと兄ムッタ」 (Otouto Hibito to Ani Mutta)
“Little Brother Hibito and Big Brother Mutta”

I’m positive it’s safe to say that everyone, at some point in time, dreams of going into outer space. There’s something magnificent and romantic about the idea of leaving our small spot in the universe and venturing out into the unknown – an innate desire to explore beyond the bounds of what’s already known. Uchuu Kyoudai, written by Koyama Chuuya and adapted by A-1 Pictures, tells a story along these lines: a story of two brothers and their dreams of outer space.

To quickly summarise the episode, two brothers head out one night to record the sounds of nocturnal creatures as the rest of Japan watches Zinedine Zidane’s legendary headbutt (lovingly recreated in anime form). During this excursion, they witness the mysterious floating object which sparks their dreams of becoming astronauts. Jumping ahead 19 years, we return as Namba Hibito (Kenn) speaks at a press conference regarding his upcoming journey to the moon (as the first Japanese man or woman to set foot on the moon no less), but saddened that a certain other would not be making the journey before him. Meanwhile, the elder of the two brothers, one Namba Mutta (Hirata Hiroaki), has just lost his job as an automobile designer (headbutting your boss is a bad idea, seriously) and moves back in with their parents.

Time passes and Mutta begins to notice that he’s being subtly phased out by his parents in an attempt to convince him to get a job. Once he declares his intentions to do so, he gets strawberries. Unfortunately, the termination of his previous employment proves detrimental to getting a new job in the automobile industry and he finds himself sitting in MoDonald’s, reminiscing about the promise he and his brother made 19 years previously. A little push from Hibito and Mutta listens to the tapes from that night, and hears the words, spoken so long ago, that spurred their dreams; Hibito would become an astronaut and travel to the moon, Mutta would stay one step ahead and aim for Mars.

One month later, all Mutta can think about is getting home to continue reading books about space. But having quit yet another job, he’s on the verge of giving up on his dreams as a failure. Arriving home, he finds a package which informs him that his application for the New Astronaut Selection Exam, secretly sent in by his mother, has been accepted.

—–

“A big brother should always stay ahead of his little brother.”

Everything seems to come back to this line and I have a strong feeling it will remain an important theme throughout the anime. The idea that the elder of two brothers should remain ahead of the younger has always had great appeal to me. While I can imagine it might not be quite so pleasing to the younger sibling, nor always hold true, I’ve always felt that our primary job as elder siblings is to stand ahead and be someone dependable to look up to or turn to for help. Unfortunately, at this point in time, Mutta has fallen a step behind his younger brother, but I have faith that we’ll see him catch up, and possibly even take that step ahead over coming episodes.

It may be fairly early to be wondering this, but I can’t help speculating over what might have caused Mutta to lose sight of his dream. His success as an automobile designer (and the awards his designs received) seems to belie the idea that it could be due to having failed the required examinations. In fact, if anything, his employment suggests a high intellect which could be well suited for the job (I can’t speak for the state of his physical fitness though)! I can only assume that there were other factors which gradually pushed him away from their shared dream and hope to learn more as the anime progresses.

Of course, we also have the grand mystery that sparked it all – the strange UFO which headed for the moon and the unusual static it left behind on the tapes. Was it actually an alien spaceship? An experimental government probe? Possibly even a strange natural phenomenon? It’s much too early in the anime to make any judgements, but the part of me that loves sci-fi is hoping for the former of the three. Regardless, aliens or no aliens, as first episodes go, this manages to be an extremely varied and entertaining watch. Should the series continue with this level of quality, I’m fairly sure it will quickly become one of my favourites.

Music (and sound in general) is handled extremely well throughout the episode. It amazes me how the episode manages to move from being comedic, to slightly depressing, to touching, all without missing a beat or feeling spliced together. Certain scenes had me in tears of laughter, while others had me on the verge of a completely different kind of tears. Music and sound helps a lot on this front; the well placed comical effects during the more humorous scenes and the variety of touching music which plays during both the more depressing scenes, and those that are more emotionally elated. While I’d love to credit this entirely to the music, the directing and the writing itself contribute immensely. Only one episode in and already one line of dialogue has stuck with me while multiple others have managed to bring emotions to the surface. I literally cannot wait for the next episode!

I’m sure I don’t need to remind anyone to try and avoid manga spoilers as much as possible. If you really must include them, please make use of the spoiler tags. Thanks!

ED Sequence

Uchuu Kyoudai   ED   01 Uchuu Kyoudai   ED   02 Uchuu Kyoudai   ED   03

ED: 「素晴らしき世界」 (Subarashiki Sekai) by Rake

Watch the ED!: Streaming ▼

Uchuu Kyoudai   01   Preview 01 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   Preview 02 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   Preview 03

Omake

Uchuu Kyoudai   01   Omake 01 Uchuu Kyoudai   01   Omake 02
April 1, 2012 at 12:06 pm
  • April 1, 2012 at 12:24 pmCarVac

Zidane!

• April 2, 2012 at 12:24 amHD

He headbutts when he wants, he headbutts when he wants. Zinedine Zidane, he headbutts when he wants.

Eventhough he was born at the ‘Agony of Doha’, I hope Namba Mutta becomes a successful person.

• April 1, 2012 at 12:27 pmNyara♥

I really enjoyed this episode.

“While I’d love to credit this entirely to the music, the directing and the writing itself contribute immensely. Only one episode in and already one line of dialogue has stuck with me while multiple others have managed to bring emotions to the surface. I literally cannot wait for the next episode!” I agree 100% with this, too.

• April 2, 2012 at 1:27 amBanana Furikake

I seriously did not know what to expect with this. Space brothers? What the heck can you do with that idea? Well, as Nyara says so simply and so well… “I really enjoyed this episode.”. With some anime it takes me a while to warm up to it. This one hooked me from the start. The OP was executed perfectly. The music was just spot on.

Like Ano Natsu I’m glad I gave this a chance- and I can’t wait to see where this goes.

• April 2, 2012 at 4:10 amMoomba

The first few seconds of the OP give me chills. The syncing with the rocket engines is pretty awesome.

• April 2, 2012 at 11:19 pmBanana Furikake

And the scene with rainbows coming out of Mutta’s nose was classic and awesome at the same time.

• April 3, 2012 at 6:32 pmJunglepenguin

Damn right. That OP left me speechless. A good contender for best OP this season.

• April 1, 2012 at 12:56 pmLitho

Pacing was kinda off in parts, but overall it was pretty decent. Never read the manga, so not sure what route this one’s gonna take. Hopefully not the route of constant struggle and heartbreak for the protagonist. If I wanted that I could just watch the news on TV.

Expecting another Planetes would be asking way too much, but I’m (cautiously) looking forward to the next ep, for sure.

• April 1, 2012 at 1:35 pmMoomba

I’m also hoping the series won’t take a route purely consisting of struggle and melodrama. However, while there were some darker tones in the episode, the overall feel I get edges towards something more hopeful. There probably will be some low points, but the impression I get from Mutta’s personality is that he won’t give up and will eventually achieve his goals. To me the focus seems to be more on the touching brotherhood and family moments than on the depressing scenes.

Right now though, it’s anybody’s guess what sort of direction we’re headed in (except those who have read the manga).

• April 1, 2012 at 2:22 pmZammael

Actually Planetes’ major flaw was its inconsistent tone: the first half was both comedic and serious, whereas comedy disappeared from the second half.

If Space Bros maintains a more consistent tone & doesn’t sacrifice its excellent combination when the stakes get higher then it will surpass even the great Planetes.

I’ve high expectations of this show.

• April 1, 2012 at 6:01 pmpassing

I think Planetes is overrated, man. Perhaps because there aren’t that many realistic space theme seinen shows out there (no, Cowboy Bebop doesn’t count as one, even if it is one of the best ever). I tried to watch it many times and I just can’t do it. It wasn’t that good for me. It had too many weird eccentric characters for no apparent reason and just didn’t do it for me. Maybe because it was made years ago (8 years!!) and I didn’t get its particular japanese humour and style. Also I haven’t watched “Moonlight Mile”, which came out a few years after Planetes, and while some reviews said that it wasn’t as good as Planetes, it looked actually more promising to me.

Uchuu Kyoudai, on the other hand, is already better than Planetes, based on what I read from 11 or so chapters of the source material. Sure it can screw itself up as it just started, anime-wise, but from what I read so far and this 1st episode, this will be great.

• April 1, 2012 at 1:09 pmMetalsnakezero

Thats what we needed in our anime, Tiger going into space!

• April 1, 2012 at 1:24 pmFFF

What Tiger?

• April 3, 2012 at 6:39 pmJunglepenguin

Hirata Hiroaki always does a great job at sounding like a down-and-out middle age man. and yes, Tiger in space would be awesome.

• April 1, 2012 at 1:25 pmMoomba

If only Bunny was going with him!

• April 1, 2012 at 1:42 pmLuxor

I haven’t seen a funny yet touching middle-aged protagonist since Tiger.

• April 1, 2012 at 1:13 pmClick

I loved the first episode. I now have even higher expectations for this series, and the themes of following your dreams and brotherhood really appeals to a sap like me. Uchuu Kyoudai has a lot of heart, which a lot of shows, anime or not, are missing these days. It’s just the first episode, but I can already see myself following this through to the end.

• April 1, 2012 at 1:17 pmragez

First episode and i already like it, nice to hear mayumi tanaka-san voice other character beside shounen character. Mr Mohri is based on real person i presume.

• April 1, 2012 at 1:27 pmMoomba

I’m assuming Mr Mohri is intended to be based on Mohri Mamoru (retired Japanese astronaut).

• April 1, 2012 at 1:44 pmLuxor

We need more heartwarming middle-aged men!!

• April 1, 2012 at 2:54 pmBROOKLYN otaku

Ahhhhh, your comment made me laugh sooooo hard!….i don’t know why

• April 2, 2012 at 1:30 amBanana Furikake

As a middle aged man I appreciate that comment. From all of us between the ages of 30-49, we salute you!

(^O^)/

• April 2, 2012 at 8:18 amShinjiro

Second thanks for those of us in that age bracket, Luxor. I admit to have had some reservations going into this show but glad I watched the first episode. As an older brother, I really felt the premises touching me deeper than I thought. The line he said in that fast food spot: “What have I been doing with my life?” made me think about what I’ve been doing up to now and what impact I’ve had/done in general. Mutta-kun’s tears from a rekindled dream and maybe some light/hope from the dismal period he had gone through certainly felt true.
      Definitely looking forward to more of this goodness.
      Go Mutta-kun, I’m at least sure a few of us are rooting for your success!

• April 1, 2012 at 2:06 pmfeeble

I can’t help but think of Planetes when I look at this series, and that makes me super excited!

• April 1, 2012 at 2:17 pmSeishun Otoko

Thanks for blogging Uchuu Kyoudai Moomba and everyone should watch this, period! ;)
    What stands out most for me in this episode was the Mutta’s emotional struggle and the family dynamics which hits me at all the right spot. It was funny, heartwarming and importantly sends a very powerful message. Not sure whose brilliant idea was it to make a series like this since it’s probably gonna bomb in BD sales but thank you A-1 Pictures!
    Also wanna point out there will be an Uchuu Kyoudai live-action film this summer. Pretty boy Oguri Shun as Mutta? This is gonna be interesting. http://www.tokyohive.com/2011/03/manga-uchuu-kyoudai-gets-a-live-action-adaptation-starring-oguri-shun-okada-masaki/

• April 2, 2012 at 4:30 amMoomba

I agree! Everyone should at least give it a chance! On BD sales, while there’s a fair chance you’re right, there’s always that slight possibility we could end up surprised by it.

Somehow the live action movie slipped my mind while I was writing the post – it’s definitely something I intend to check out.

• April 1, 2012 at 3:40 pmWhee

hey, that was good :D

• April 1, 2012 at 4:51 pmUnajuuphile

F*** Materazzi!

• April 1, 2012 at 5:41 pmn10ks

Hearing Luffy’s seiyuu (the mother) and Sanji’s together outside of OP is truly awesome =D

• April 1, 2012 at 5:41 pmpassing

I think this show is going to be the best, even better than Fate/zero for Spring season. Sure I like Fate/zero, but as good seinen show is very hard to come by and Fate/zero is more geared towards to mainstream with high budget; I’d like to give this one an edgy!! Finally something more intelligent than overwhelming majority of the same old mediocre stupid sh$t they keep pumping out there every season!!!

Too premature, you say??? Well, I went ahead and read the available source material and it’s great! So I know this will be good. Unfortunately, the translated manga is only available up to 1 volume and a few more chapters when in fact, 16 volumes has come out in Japan. What a shame. So by the episode 3 or 4, there won’t be any more spoilers for non-japanese readers anyway.

• April 2, 2012 at 1:35 amBanana Furikake

Here, here! Great comment!

• April 1, 2012 at 6:12 pmskylion

Hibito and Mutta are cool and all, but I really just want more Rocket Girls LOL.

• April 3, 2012 at 1:00 pmKob264

Is a known fact that girls only drive Mechas

• April 1, 2012 at 6:54 pmJif

Mutta really struck a good chord with me. While he is bummed about falling behind his little brother and generally being less than successful in life, he follows his own personal philosophy of sorts and doesn’t compromise on that. When his boss mocks his little brother, he casts Level 5 French Headbutt. When customers are making his job experience miserable, he straight up quits instead of making excuses such as “I need to work harder and make the money in order to attain X arbitrary goal.” I mean, there are times when you should suck in your pride, but life is about taking falls, getting back up, and seeing the opportunities in front of you instead of dwelling upon your losses. It’s taken me a lot as a person to see this in my 20 years of Earth-inhabitance, and to see this earnest little theme show up nearly brought tears to my eyes.

So, everything about this show really impressed me. It’s not often that we see a fairly down-to-earth(?) portrayal of young men, their dreams, and their struggles with not only the expectations of society at large – but also their own expectations.

• April 2, 2012 at 4:44 amMoomba

I completely agree. In particular, the family relationships are what draw me to the series. The way Hibito and their mother give Mutta small pushes towards achieving his dreams impressed me a lot. I’m really looking forward to seeing the brotherly bond deepen (hopefully) and watching Mutta blaze a trail to the future (ho ho ho).

• April 1, 2012 at 6:56 pmThe_Magus_Killer

Uchuu Kyodai for sleeper hit of the season. Haha. With Mutta-san being born under an unlucky star, with various mishaps during his life, I was thinking he’d be the adult version of Kamijou Touma (Fuko Da/Such Misfortune) XD

Anyone thought that Mutta-san’s dog was cute? I want to see that dog go to space as well. Haha.

• April 1, 2012 at 8:20 pmpassing

umm, actually that little puggy is Show Spoiler ▼

Not that it matters much. You will see around episode 4, I’d asume. Anyway it’s time for pugs to shine finally! I can’t recall any bulldog family breed getting a major role. It’s always been dogs with pointy noses. The smashed faces have been suffering for so long under blatant discrimination!!

• April 1, 2012 at 7:28 pmMatroid

If there is a genre called “motivational,” then this anime may be a good example of it! It is not easy to keep going when your whole life is turned upside down. It will be interesting to see how the story develops.

• April 2, 2012 at 1:33 amBanana Furikake

+1 and Japan does need that right now!

• April 1, 2012 at 7:57 pmPongggg

The “no more” shirt their dad wore (the scene when hibito was born) made me laugh.

• April 1, 2012 at 9:09 pmCrunchie

I started watching this because of the pug. I actually found myself really enjoying it.

• April 1, 2012 at 9:20 pmleokiko

Not many people will watch this. It’s a shame though, while harem animes will always be more famous.

Anyway, this was my most anticipated anime and it delivered more than I expected. Now I just have to wait for Sakamichi no Appolon and I am golden for this season. The rest will be decided by the 3 episode rule.

• April 2, 2012 at 1:33 amBanana Furikake

I agree. It’s a shame – since it’s a nice change from the high school setting that most animes seem to be suck in.

• April 1, 2012 at 11:02 pmJack Vojack

This anime makes me want to cry. I love it, I love the feeling it gives off. The romanticism of going into space. I don’t know why but I think they have some thing going on with middle-age protagonists who are in rut trying to be something or like… I am looking forward for the next episode!

• April 1, 2012 at 11:26 pmJel

This was an episode filled with comedy and serious tones. The pacing and direction that the episode took was great, and I will continue to watch.

• April 2, 2012 at 2:47 amDa5id

No…clip of the Opening?!

;_;

• April 2, 2012 at 8:09 amn0216332

being an uni graduate from 2011 and had 1 short term jobs 2 internship since i graduated… i cant help but sympathise with mutta… the feeling of being useless; the feeling of inferiority in comparison to my sibling; the feeling that your own parents thinks you are incompetent, along with an e-mail folder full of rejection letters, some are even from supermarket and mc donalds (because they think u’d leave cause u r over qualify). I found myself tearing up a little bit :(

• April 2, 2012 at 9:45 amBanana Furikake

Hey no216332- on a personal note- been there. Don’t give up hope! I went through that during the early 2000′s. It was frustrating and made me want to just cry. You’ll find your landing place.

• April 2, 2012 at 10:45 amRichfeet

Mutto is like a wordplay on “mutt” which has a relation to the pug. Mutto reminds me of Rikitaro from RRR.

• April 2, 2012 at 5:25 pmbishounent

so i gave it a chance, and i really liked.
    The thematic this anime gives you, it’s something different of the normal “moe & shounen” feeling of animes, which is okay for me. And nice review moomba.

• April 3, 2012 at 10:23 amMoomba

It is very different. As much as I do enjoy moe and some shounen anime, it’s nice to have a change every now and then. These characters even have noses!

• April 2, 2012 at 8:27 pmheavensdrive

This show is awesome… it only took me the first 3 minutes to confirm that… and btw.. I still dream of going towards space one day!

• April 3, 2012 at 10:25 amMoomba

As do I! It’d be nice to see humanity expand into space during my lifetime!

• April 3, 2012 at 4:07 amL

We choose to go to the moon.

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do all the other things

Not because they are easy, but because they are hard!

• April 3, 2012 at 6:51 amv3000

Mutta’s the man. :D Probably primed to be the best no-crap all-substance show of the season, for 30somethings down on their luck and wanting a miracle.

• April 3, 2012 at 11:06 amDCLXVI

This show feels like a cross between Planetes and Cromartie High School.

• April 3, 2012 at 12:03 pmShizuo

Liked this episode, Zidane!!!

LOL

• April 4, 2012 at 9:48 amJD

I’ve always wanted to go to space. But when I started to think of the resources needed to do it, I was like, “Or…maybe not.”

Brilliant first episode. Now I want subbed versions of the OP and ED. While I was watching the episode, I was feeling this slight Tiger and Bunny vibe – how it can be quite funny and serious at the same time (which I like) – then I started recognizing “the voice.” Also, the use of the three-panel frames is just genius.

I do wonder if they need to get permission to use real-world organizations (NASA and JAXA) for this show – I find pretty cool.

Anyway…

To quickly summarise the episode…

Ha!

• April 5, 2012 at 6:03 pmThe Story You Don’t Know

Wow, I wasn’t expecting this one to be this great when I first read its preview. I can’t believe I overlooked this one! You’ve just gotta love the characters and the plot. I’m really looking forward to this series, thanks for blogging it.

• April 5, 2012 at 10:51 pmSirHellsing420

I absolutely loved this first episode. I shall endeavor to watch this series as often as possible.

• April 7, 2012 at 8:44 amRobert Stormborn

ok i will see this today :O