Sankarea – 03 »« Sankarea – 01

Sankarea   02   25 Sankarea   02   26 Sankarea   02   27
Sankarea   02   28 Sankarea   02   29 Sankarea   02   30
Sankarea   02   31 Sankarea   02   32 Sankarea   02   33
Sankarea   02   34 Sankarea   02   35 Sankarea   02   36

「成功…してた」 (Seikou… Shiteta)
“I… Succeeded”

We are two episodes in and still no zombies… but I honestly do not care because this show has so much substance that Chihiro’s necrophilia obsession has taken a back seat. I always thought that the real “quirk” to this show was the fact that Chihiro had an unhealthy fixation with zombies; however, this episode was completely focused on Rea and I loved it more than the premiere.

I already had a good idea of what Rea was suffering through behind the scenes after last week’s episode. Although, I was still surprised it was all revealed in the second episode. To put it bluntly, her father loves her a little too much for my taste. I’m only glad that the extent of his harassment has gone as far as photos (or have they? I have no idea…), although that does not justify anything that she has suffered through. The poor girl seriously does not deserve it and her mother clearly is not of any help either. What kind of mother is that? Sounds like she suffers from bystander apathy, or perhaps she’s just as scared of confrontations as Rea is. Either way, I feel sorry that Rea cannot even make “real” friends, fearing they will just be taken away later.

So far I only see her interactions with Chihiro, and I love each scene they have. They’re adorable together and what I find most attractive about Chihiro’s personality is how outspoken and fun he is (even when interacting with girls). Especially when he does not even bother hiding his love for the undead. His relationships don’t progress forcefully (or for the sake of story); although Ranko seems a little out of place. I wonder how her story will be intertwined, and at the same time, hope that she’s not another tool to be used as a third wheel. She’s a great source for comedic relief at least, (and Jogorou of course!) and even though this episode was dim and serious, I found myself smiling at some of the most random moments. If an anime can make me smile, disgusted, sympathetic and anxious all at once, the producers must be doing something right.

That brings me to the conclusion of Rea’s supposed suicide. We all know what she’s going to come back as… but I thought the potion only worked with corpses? I hope I’m not missing anything here. Next week’s preview seem to indicate that she’s likely to die from other causes, so perhaps it’s a potion that brings back the dead before and after death. Anyhow, the point I wanted to make is that this series is moving along faster than I imagined, which is great since that probably means they have a ton of story to carry the season with. My expectations are starting to increase with every episode and I only hope that it won’t let me down. That’s a dangerous statement to make since I fear that every time I say it, I have to knock on wood.

Full-size images: Someone asked for full-length shots last time, so here they are for you. I won’t lie, it feels weird creating these when half of them are naked poses…

Sankarea   02   Preview 01 Sankarea   02   Preview 02 Sankarea   02   Preview 03
April 14, 2012 at 12:03 am
  • April 14, 2012 at 12:06 amsatuors13

Her father’s a FREAK

• April 14, 2012 at 4:34 amEspada

if you’ve read the manga. you will know why his like that.

• April 14, 2012 at 10:05 amWerpi

let me guess, he is not her real father or something

• April 14, 2012 at 11:07 amSJin

Manga’s explanation later doesn’t make him any less disturbing if not more.

• April 14, 2012 at 12:07 amZanibas

The full lengths with Sanka are disturbing in context…but oh my god those Ranko full lengths…so nice :3.

Anyways, to speak of the plot – my god how much I want to punch Sanka’s father in the face. Although I know that’s the intent of the story and it’s a great plot device…my god does it enrage me so. As someone who hasn’t advanced in the manga much, I truly hope some justice is served in the future against that freak >_>.

• April 14, 2012 at 12:08 amEmD

We did get a zombie. Zombie Kitty.

• April 14, 2012 at 12:21 amKusabi

Yeah, Rea’s father is an obsessive weirdo.
    But, more importantly, Wanko bath scene censored? (˘_˘٥)ck! (٥˘_˘)ck! (˘_˘٥)ck!
    Oh well, knowing DEEN made this show, it’s understandable.

• April 14, 2012 at 5:01 amCybersteel

The censorship wasn’t that unreasonable. Can’t expect all the shows to be like High Scool DxD.

• April 14, 2012 at 5:29 amKusabi

Hmm? Firstly, please forgives my insane rumbling.
        I’m pretty sure if we talk about the type of censorship of a show, then we automatically talk about the studio behind it. I’m pretty sure Sunrise would never show us a detailed ecchi parts, but apparently my assumption is immediately betrayed when I saw uncensored version of Code Geass.
        Well, the point is, if the original source shows us an uncensored version of Wanko bath scene, then I can’t help but hoping that the anime would show us the same scene. DEEN didn’t hesitant to show us an uncensored version of Higurashi and Umineko after all.

• April 14, 2012 at 5:46 amCybersteel

There’s nothing to apologize for.

There’s always uncensored BD-Ray ver.

Secondly, uncensored Code Geass should be expected, come on its Code Geass, there’s tons of doujin material/doujin games with hiiigh ero content.

*cough* blood CC *cough cough*

Thirdly, what the studio would show would mainly be influenced by the director.

• April 14, 2012 at 12:31 amDa5id

Normally I wouldn’t be for the main character hooking up with his cousin.

But in this case…yeah, hook up with the cousin.

• April 14, 2012 at 6:45 amThe Moondoggie

The fandom is split in two I see. XD. To Rea or to Ranko? Necrophilia(still shady here) or incest(I thought you’re against this Da5id)?

• April 14, 2012 at 8:35 amRC fan56

incest? what incest? There is no such thing as incest between cousins in America’s heartland! LOL, I kid, I kid~~.

• April 14, 2012 at 8:42 amIto

Rea all the way!

• April 14, 2012 at 9:22 amDa5id

Th…this is a special case!

…two special cases. (Three if you count her ass)

• April 14, 2012 at 10:06 amtotoum

In Japan mariage between cousins is legal!

• April 16, 2012 at 4:35 amThe Moondoggie

*insert evil laugh here*

Da5id has fallen, Stilts has fallen, all shall join me into the darkness….

• April 16, 2012 at 9:15 amDa5id

Hey, I was in the darkness before you even knew there was an absence of light!

• April 14, 2012 at 12:32 amKIR

want to murder her dad.. I agree though the scenes with the two of them are really great. Chihiro is more outspoken than most protagonists in anime but he is still a little shy sometimes which I can’t say I like

• April 14, 2012 at 12:41 amKurisu Vi Britannia

Wanko has the assets of god. Uncensorsed plz.

• April 14, 2012 at 1:16 amc2710

can always go to the gallery of sankaku complex for a “de-misted” pic XD

• April 14, 2012 at 5:19 amKurisu Vi Britannia

Could not find said pic and now feel cheated by the Internet.

Lol.

• April 14, 2012 at 5:59 amCybersteel

There there something to cheer you up.

• April 14, 2012 at 4:09 amCybersteel

They’re just as big as I remembered from the manga. Must be the nighttime temperature.

• April 14, 2012 at 8:53 amThe_Magus_Killer

You remind me of Asuka Langley Soryu’s Thermal Expansion Lecture from Neon Genesis Evangelion. XD Boobs. FOR SCIENCE!!! XD

• April 14, 2012 at 6:52 amc2710

trust me….. it’ll eventually turn up one day

• April 14, 2012 at 12:17 pmKurisu Vi Britannia

The pic given to me above only furthers the cheated feeling. Teases!

• April 14, 2012 at 12:42 amNhelraios

• April 14, 2012 at 12:51 amleokiko

When next episodes airs…when you know, whatever will happen, happens(no spoilers xD). I will watch it.

• April 14, 2012 at 12:54 amSnicket

So, now we’ve reached episode 2. Things seem to be progressing rather well. However, they seem to be switching around the source material quite a bit. Which right now isn’t a problem, but if they continue at this rate. The whole plot is going to turn into a jumbled mess.

• April 14, 2012 at 6:15 ambertman4

I don’t think it’s a jumbled mess. So far it looks like it’s a chapter per episode with a few changes. Although this anime is a manga adaptation, the mediums are different. What works in one medium does not work in the other. When you adapt, you must take this into account. What they’ve done is give more depth to Rea’s character earlier. Otherwise the impact of her suicide (by drinking the potion) is lessened. Without the added scenes, the viewer is more likely to see Rea as a troubled spoiled rich girl instead of a suffering heroine under the insane control of her obsessive father.

• April 14, 2012 at 12:55 amdene323

How I wished Rea had an adopted sister named Yuno.

• April 14, 2012 at 1:14 amc2710

and what’ll happen to rea if yuno wants neko-guy as well?

• April 14, 2012 at 3:12 pmLuxor

then it’s DEAD END.

• April 14, 2012 at 1:05 amKanade

Jesus… if I had an possessive father like that, I would of punched his gut out.

• April 14, 2012 at 1:13 amc2710

i must say… 2 ep in and i love rea’s and neko-guy’s interaction. throughout the entire episode, i had the uneasy feeling and its not due neko-guy’s necrophilia but the obsession that rea’s dad has and his iron fist will over his daughter.

rea’s right, no one should be born into that kind of family but sadly, its something that we cant choose. somehow or rather, seems like prior to her meeting with neko-guy, she seems to have resigned herself to that kind of life and her dad

that aside, i really am enjoying the shaft-iness of the scenes on top of the interactions. i’d say rea might be hitagi of spring (minus the 97kg of spite of course!)

• April 14, 2012 at 1:41 amJames

Completely left out the part where the cat flew out the fucking window XD

• April 14, 2012 at 1:53 amTingster013

WEIRD DAD!!! THAT ALL I AM SAYING!!

• April 14, 2012 at 3:55 amMAR-KLAC-VELOUS DE-KLAC-CADE

i just no words say about but still really what kind of father would do these kinds of “things” really this is so disturbing & nobody even tried to stop him yea what a total (bleep) that father is.

so wanted to grit those teeth punch him & feel sorry for rea really cause of that no good father “doing” is still feel you want to help her.

look like the potion did works cause babu cat has flown jump away!!!

now with rea drinking oh wonder what next?

• April 14, 2012 at 4:03 amCybersteel

Thanks Cherrie for the post. They actually made the introduction better. Its very SHAFTy since it can get dark sometimes so great job to DEEN and those camera angles, abstractsity and cue in classical pieces. Terrific.

Can’t wait till Show Spoiler ▼

• April 14, 2012 at 4:09 amFling

I can hardly believe how much I like this.

Rea’s expressions. Rea’s seiyuu. All the small things in the Chihiro x Rea dynamic. The Shaft-esque directing. The beautiful use of lens flares. The contrast between the light and dark colours. The saturated glow of the faces. The BGM and ED music. The detail and sharpness of the animation. lol, this is just too much; I’m overwhelmed.

On a side note, I almost want to make this a background. http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4683/sankareaep2.jpg

• April 14, 2012 at 4:13 amIto

Was the friend in the manga? I don’t remember her being there. Or maybe she was but it wasn’t that extended so I forgot about it.

Also there was a zombie, Zombie Babu. Couldn’t have missed that.

I wonder what point they’ll end the season.

• April 14, 2012 at 4:18 amFling

The friend is anime original. I suppose they wanted to flesh out just how controlling his dad was which ultimately led to Rea’s attempted suicide at the end.

• April 14, 2012 at 4:15 amBaby Choo Choo

…well that wasn’t creepy at all

Also, dat a-…dat everything on the cousin.

• April 14, 2012 at 5:57 amLitho

The father looks even more creepier in the anime.

• April 14, 2012 at 6:17 amFiShar

Happy Birthday in a birthday suit. Her father gonna make her his future wife?

• April 14, 2012 at 6:34 amKoji

Anyone else think the anime is going a little over the top with the drama? The manga struck a really good balance with story telling, and keeping the series light and amusing. The anime, however, is tossing all of the light hearted elements out… I think this is going to backfire pretty heavily later on when they eventually DO get to the light hearted elements.

They will have spent the first 3 episodes, at least, setting up a darker premise and then will betray the anime only viewers later on when the “daily life” stuff starts to sink in.

Unless, of course, that’s their entire intention.

• April 14, 2012 at 6:44 amKiria

I really hope they stay loyal to the manga! This is one of the best shows this season, and I really wish they’d make it like 24 episodes *sigh*

• April 14, 2012 at 6:48 amThe Moondoggie

Can’t do anything about the censorship(groan). I wish it wasn’t there, but I guess we’re stuck with it. Another awesome episode, though and still loyal to the manga.

• April 14, 2012 at 7:39 amUnajuuphile

Thanks so much for these…ahem…high quality full length images.

• April 14, 2012 at 7:50 amxephx

Its not usual for me to hate a character so early in a series, but I already hate Rea’s father. On the flip side this episode really made me like Rea.

• April 14, 2012 at 8:40 amRC fan56

boo hoo, we are ALL spoiled by Highschool DxD. This is norm, my friends. Highschool DxD and its lack of blurriness WAS an exception; heck it was the only one that came out like that before DVD/BD release, like ever. Name me another show, there is none. Can’t expect everything else to be like that.

• April 14, 2012 at 10:09 amtotoum

The new lupin III anime ;)

• April 14, 2012 at 4:18 pmKoji

Queen’s Blade…

• April 14, 2012 at 8:24 pmMAR-KLAC-VELOUS DE-KLAC-CADE

yea qb’s rebel & fujiko anime are clearly main 2 spring service leading the way.

while sankarea maybe 3rd in service but still that father “doing” to the daughter is still make me SICK in worst way so disgusting & wrong so many way yea i wish that father burn in he!!.

• April 14, 2012 at 9:26 amSergio

Thanks a bunch for the full-length shots!

• April 14, 2012 at 12:23 pmkwantum0

• April 14, 2012 at 12:35 pmdrzero7

they toned it down, of how her father is like. He like… yeah, even BEYOND what is shown in the anime.

• April 14, 2012 at 2:07 pmHorus

Ranko is so hot, even in the manga o.o

• April 14, 2012 at 4:13 pmsome guy

unfortunately you and I -and maybe two other folks-are the only ones goes for Ranko over Rea. Such is the way of anime watchers’ world. I tell you, in real world, 9 out of 10 guys go for Ranko over Rea…Americans, that is, I can’t speak for Japanese folks.

Well, just you wait, people. Darin Arnschent, the foreign blonde trope in this anime, is coming soon. Did I tell y’all she’s my favorite, even over Ranko? Just wait.

• April 14, 2012 at 4:20 pmKoji

Er wha? Actually in the real world most people don’t prefer the overly pushy overly sexualized girls. At least not for long lasting relationships… Those kinds of women are more ‘flings’ to use the term.

• April 14, 2012 at 5:18 pmHorus

Most of the time, I believe, it’s all a ruse and the girls are actually more settled down than supposed. They just do that to get the guy’s attention, of which their “overly done” appearance/actions are all focused on that one guy. I find they tend to be the just as devoted, if not more, devoted due to their insecurity and lack of confidence. Once they get the guy they turn girl-next-door.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Rea but I like Ranko more. I tend towards rooting for her archetype (that “perfect girl” whose close to but severely friend zoned by the guy). It’s almost tragic…like my life =.=

But seriously, Ranko is so hot. I wish I was the dog that bit her o.o

• April 14, 2012 at 5:34 pmsome guy

to your eyes: “overly pushy overly sexualized girls”
        to my eyes: girls who are “honest” about their feeling

If the aforementioned girls are nice, I don’t see it as overly pushy. No way. And Ranko is a genuinely nice girl, you see.

• April 14, 2012 at 2:20 pmhaseo0408

I don´t support patricide but I don´t see any other way out for Rea than this, her father is a monster.

• April 14, 2012 at 4:18 pmsome guy

wait, what’s Freddie Mercury doing in Sankarea??

eh, just ignore the long bang, it’s almost a dead ringer.

• April 14, 2012 at 4:22 pmEnd3rr

WoW. What a show! It’s not your typical light-hearted show for it has some pretty dark ideas in there as well, but the balance is pretty damn good.

• April 14, 2012 at 5:27 pmNymphetamine2791

It’s like Romeo and Juliet, Rea can’t be with Chihiro and Babu so she takes her own life, haha. Only twist now is that Juliet will become a zombie and live happily ever after with Romeo.

I LIKE IT!

• April 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm7godeohs

Love the adaptation so far, it really keeps the spirit of the manga. I’m glad they kept it so Furuya isn’t lovestruck over Rea, they could have easily gone for that but they exercised restraint. Next episode should be fairly epic.

Also, DAT ED! It sounds amazing with headphones – one of, if not the best of the season IMO.

• April 14, 2012 at 7:12 pmBNV

TBH when Rea Show Spoiler ▼

Rea is a sweet girl. God, I don’t know how to comprehend someone with a life like Rea’s. I give props to the animators by adding Rea’s friend into the mix because the manga only revealed Rea’s life and not her friend; the manga did not show that. I commend Chihiro, for someone not to judge or rather remain compose in knowing Rea’s dark secret. I appreciated Chihiro’s playfulness because Rea just wanted a normal life with someone to talk to.

Chihiro and Rea’s interactions appealed to me the most, and finishing episode 2, I am satisfied. Although I am hesitate after episode 3 how this anime will do. So far, I like what I am seeing.

P.S I love Ranko :P

• April 15, 2012 at 2:31 amSinan Çevik

This show turned out to be a lot deeper and well-thought for me. If only the guy had a normal hair…

• April 15, 2012 at 2:55 amLulzyWulzy

Where were those “shots” (if you know what I mean) in the manga? I’ve searched everywhere but to no avail!

• April 15, 2012 at 3:22 amCybersteel

• April 15, 2012 at 4:32 amLulzyWulzy

No lol, the n00d Rea photography pictures.

• April 15, 2012 at 12:56 pmhoiut

Wait what?

• April 15, 2012 at 1:13 pmCybersteel

I don’t know they’ll either gonna cut, censor or put them in the BD-Ray version.

Oh yes Show Spoiler ▼

• April 15, 2012 at 9:44 pmahelo

“Oh yes her father is totally a freak! But here I am saving those full length shots of naked Rea which her father took!It’s totally okay because I’m not a freak. It’s the father who’s a freak. He’s the one abusing Rea. I’m just her to wank off Rea’s full length naked images her father took while calling him a freak!”

You guys are freaks.

• April 18, 2012 at 7:00 amD-LaN

Still better than Sakura though. But yeah, her father has whtever-cest w/h his daughter (F@#K!) and her friend is being a B*TCH…..

In short, crosses the line more than twice. I dunno why I am still watching this….

• April 18, 2012 at 8:12 amYes!@

Not sure how faithful this adaptaion is so far; but still interesting.

Going to enjoy the adaptaion and try to forget what my mixed up memory is telling me.

I’ll always go for the underdog… Go Wanko go, like in Nyakoi Kanako!!!

• April 19, 2012 at 12:15 amewok40k

aaargh… cant wait to see

• April 20, 2012 at 4:07 pmAnishuma

I can never understand why everyone just accepts the fact that Wanko, the cousin, has feelings beyond what normal cousins are supposed to feel for Chihiro.

I can never understand why this incest stuff is in most anime either.It’s sickening.

It’s bad enough that Wanko is annoying as hell, like seriously get outta here and get your dude.

• April 20, 2012 at 5:02 pmBanana Furikake

Would consider ED for best ED of 2012. Coin toss between this and Ano Natsu.