FAIRY TAIL 285 – MPF »« FAIRY TAIL 283 – Natsu VS. Sabertooth

FAIRY TAIL 284 – Pandemonium

FAIRY TAIL Manga   284   01

Here is TITANIA!

FAIRY TAIL Manga   284   02

Summary:

People are talking about the incident at Sabertooth’s lodging from last week. Yukino is seen walking around town when she hears some noise from the arena. We’re taken to the Grand Magic Games, day 3, which is the middle portion of the games. There is a special guest for this event – Lahar, from the Magic Council. He has brought Doranbolt with him to the event. It turns out that Lahar knew that Doranbolt has been worried about FAIRY TAIL since the incident at Tenrou Island, and therefore, wanted Doranbolt to join him.

The third day’s competition is called “Pandemonium”, and the participants are the following:
FAIRY TAIL A: Erza Scarlet
FAIRY TAIL B: Cana Alberona
Mermaid Heel: Millianna
Raven Tail: Obra
Blue Pegasus: Hibiki Lates
Sabertooth: Orga Nanagear
Lamia Scale: Jura Neekis
Quatro Puppy: Novally

Pandemonium takes place in a temple where one hundred evil monsters nest, or tools, as they actually are – created for this game. The monsters are divided into 5 levels of battle power: D, C, B, A, and S. The host shows what a D-level monster looks like – it’s strong enough to break a statue. The host also mentions that one of the ten saint wizards might not be able to defeat a S-level monster.

The rules of the games are fairly simple. Everyone line up in que for the fight. Every person chooses a number of monsters to fight with – this is called “challenge right”. The number of monsters you choose will appear within the temple. You get points equal to the number of monsters you defeat. When one competitor has finished, the next one may continue. The challenge will continue until there are no monsters left, or if everyone’s magic power reaches zero. After that, the competition will end. The biggest disadvantage of this challenge is that no one can choose what level the monsters should have. It’s random.

If you go down inside the temple during your turn, you won’t earn any points for the current turn, but the points that have been earned so far in previous turns will remain.

After the rules have been explained, everyone draw their lots to find out when to go. Erza draws number one and is the first to enter. Cana drawed number eight and will go last.

Erza says that she was thinking this would all come down to the luck of the draw. This is no longer a game according to her. Erza says her challenge right will be 100 – she will fight all monsters. This claim shocks everyone but the FAIRY TAIL members who are laughing at this “expected” result.

Erza, the Titania, living up to her name shocks everyone by defeating all 100 monsters.

FAIRY TAIL Manga   284   03

Oh wow, what a chapter! I don’t know how to start. This was so good. Finally FAIRY TAIL is back in the game, and now with 10 points! Erza truly is amazing!

I love Erza, she is an amazing character, but it is a bit upsetting to see Erza and Natsu winning almost all of their battles. I definitely think they should win, but the other characters seem so weak compared to them. When I saw Erza come out from the temple, I was truly amazed, and very happy for the sake of the guild, but at the same time, I wished Lucy could share some of that glory too.

And speaking of Lucy, there was nothing about “Eclipse” this week. I’ve been assuming we’ll get some information about it in every chapter, yet I’ve been wrong. Although, in this case, I don’t mind at all. Erza is my favorite female character in this series, I love chapters about her. And just to clarify things – I don’t mind Erza and Natsu winning, I just wish the others won a lot too. I know Erza is higher ranked. She should win more than the others, but the others lose way too often. I definitely would be upset to see Erza lose this battle or perform poorly at this.

But Erza stayed true to her name and brought glory to her guild’s name. I’m still feeling excited and I can’t wait to see this in the anime, and I’m assuming this battle will be longer when it’s animated, although, the anime has been quite faithful to the pacing of the manga. So I’m not completely sure.

Having that said, I wish I could’ve expressed my love for Erza in a better way. I hope the images in this post will do, she is on all of them! Let’s hope for some information about “Eclipse” next week. I’ll go and read this chapter again now, because it was amazing!

Moete kitazou!

Note: My FAIRY TAIL anime post might be a bit delayed because I’m going to a local festival tomorrow, and I’ll be watching ESC 2012 later.

May 25, 2012 at 6:38 pm
  • May 25, 2012 at 6:45 pm@lk3mizt

That. Was. AMAZING!!!!!

Holy cow, I’ve got goosebumps, yo!!

• May 25, 2012 at 6:45 pmQuagmire

I would totally fap to Erza.

• May 25, 2012 at 6:47 pmQX1102

after the pumpkin PR for S rank monster that even 1 of 10 saint mage have a hard time solo with them, Erza alone kill all 100 monsters ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

• May 25, 2012 at 6:55 pmChris

Erza is a beast, but we all knew that. What I’m confused about is if fairy tail A gets 100 points(one per monster) or 10 points (for placing first in the event). It makes me laugh that everyone else gets zero.

• May 25, 2012 at 7:03 pmrasone0104

I knew it the moment I read the rules and saw her pick one I just new she was gonna do a 1 vs 100 thing.

• May 25, 2012 at 10:12 pmGing F

Yeah once I read the rules, I was hoping Erza would be one of the first since I knew she’d decide to fight all or whatevers left of em lol.
      And I don’t mind that it didn’t flesh out the fight more. I think it made her victory stance seem much more EPIC.
      Erza’s number one in my book.

• May 25, 2012 at 7:18 pmUnknownSoldier

Moments that give you chills like that are priceless.

• May 25, 2012 at 7:42 pmMike

Great reveiw. I kinda agree with what you say about the other characters seeming weak when compared to Natsu and Erza. They do kinda make Gray and Lucy, who are both incredibly powerful as well, look like second fiddles. But then again, Gray and Lucy weren’t straight up beaten in their matches in the games. Gray lost because he got ganged up on and couldn’t hit any of the other opponents and Lucy lost because Raven Tail resorted to dirty tactics. We haven’t seen what either of them can really do since getting that power boost from Ultear.

• May 25, 2012 at 8:12 pmPuri

wow Erza is awesome with that epic victory pose at the end XD

• May 25, 2012 at 8:22 pmneks

im not a big fan of this manga like say Soul Eater or One Piece, but i like it, im reading since the Oracion Seis arc, and is really slowly growing on me,

but damn.. this chapter was TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME… my reps to Hiro Mashima

• May 25, 2012 at 8:31 pmSOSAnimeBoy

Nice save. When I started reading your post I thought, “Oh boy, rage pummeling in store from the mega fans” then you flipped it over nicely.

• May 25, 2012 at 8:34 pmKentaiyoshimi

The rules of the game kind of reminded me of the challenges/games in Liar Game. I was actually expecting a couple of chapters to be devoted to this game alone, especially considering that this is shounen and has an anime running atm. But this turned out WAY better.

DANG, Erza is one BAMF. Frickin AWESOME

I really like this shot of Erza

• May 25, 2012 at 8:50 pmimmblueversion

Okay. I’m convinced.

Erza belongs in Gurren Lagann.

Seriously. Give her triangular glasses and a cape. Imagine her fighting those beasts with this blaring in the background. You will never be able to unthink it once you do.

Her sword is the one that will pierce the heavens!

• May 25, 2012 at 9:20 pmshamaticgrl

Fianlly got to sit down and read this chapter and what do I get? a chpater with Erza!!! YESH! this night has been great so far. I’m so proud of her for bringing pride to her guild *tears up* You could always count on her to make you laugh with her predictability and admire her for her pride. *o*

• May 25, 2012 at 9:52 pmjada

I’m glad they ended the battle in this one chapter instead of dragging it out! But I have to wonder how strong they all really are after that power boost? Is it that everyone’s power relational standing is the same just magnified or can Natsu now stand toe to toe with Erza? Also does this mean Erza and Mirajane are now no longer equal in strength?

• May 25, 2012 at 10:01 pmhaseo0408

Don´t mess with Erza the Titania!!!!.

• May 25, 2012 at 10:27 pmGing F

I worry about the results of her possible upcoming match with that mermaid heel member (Kagura, I think). Her grand victory here may just be a set up for a possible loss in the near future. Hope not but you did bring up her usually always winning so I think now its a possibility.

• May 25, 2012 at 10:35 pmsamarai24

umm….she has lost before…twice actually….against jellal and laxus

• May 26, 2012 at 12:05 amGing F.

lol that “always” wasnt supposed to be there

• May 26, 2012 at 1:56 amStereoman

:]

• May 25, 2012 at 10:27 pmClick

As soon as Erza got the first key, I knew this would happen. This is classic Hiro Mashima, right here, haha.

• May 25, 2012 at 10:41 pmIxidor

i didn’t expect her reaction like some of you did…
    so i was truly amazed and happy to see Erza winning…
    i was grinning even though i didn’t realize it…
    i remember that i did that while i was reading Negima… until… well… you know…
    it’s good to read chapters like this….

Erza was epic…

• May 25, 2012 at 11:10 pmTingster013

Erza is Erza, I like everyone shocked faces!!

• May 25, 2012 at 11:19 pmBeedle

goose-frickin’-bumps. Erza, you magnificent scarlet fairy, you @_@

So can’t wait for this to be animated! Though I think after this fight, Erza will be out of commission for a while, meaning if whatever doodad decides to take a spin, Fairy Tail will be one Titania down…for the moment XD

• May 25, 2012 at 11:50 pmNabi

Erza is beyond epic!

• May 26, 2012 at 12:02 amArakan7

As if we needed another reminder of just how awesome Erza was, we get THIS chapter. XD

Oh and Stereoman, slight typo on the ‘Ten Wizard Saints’ part – the announcer said that even one of the Ten Wizard Saints had a chance to lose against the S-class monster, not that it would take all ten of the Wizard Saints to beat it… ^_^;

• May 26, 2012 at 8:27 amStereoman

Ah, thank you for telling me! I wrote this post around 3 AM… Fixed it now! :]

• May 26, 2012 at 10:19 amArakan7

No problem! I read it late last night too and the sudden surge of adrenaline kept me awake much longer…lol
        I’m betting that it will be Natsu to follow-up in the battle portion – only he has a chance of coming close to equaling the epic-ness of Erza’s feat. I also loved how when Erza made her declaration, Natsu and Gray were both grinning like idiots while everyone was 0.0

• May 26, 2012 at 12:03 amAnon

I knew she would do all 100, but she could have just did 51 and still auto-win the event. Would have been the better choice as she may not fully recover her strength in the following days. Though this is shounen and fighting all 100 is more flashy.

• May 26, 2012 at 4:31 amsherry

This is about the points: she’s got 100 points for her group.
      If she had only fought 51 monsters like you suggested, not only would she have gained only those 51pts, but she would have allowed the others participants to get points for their own groups too.

• May 26, 2012 at 6:29 amChazx

if she only choose 51, there will be at least a 2nd place, now that she beat down all 100, the other teams will get 0 points since they did not even participate in the game. So that was the best choice logically too ^_^

• May 26, 2012 at 12:28 amgawrshness

you wanted to have badass defined? Here’s your answer in the name of Titania!

• May 26, 2012 at 12:31 amYerocha

It’s going to be interesting to see how this gets animated. It feels like the sort of scene that can’t be expressed by simply showing it, because nothing they could show could possibly live up to what we’ve built up in our heads.

• May 26, 2012 at 1:11 amZeru

Erza is probably my favorite heroine in any form of media I have seen/read, and this chapter exemplifies why. She is just so epic that even her opponents can’t help but be in awe.

I am willing to bet Sabertooth is growing more then a bit nervous at their status as “number 1″ after a display like that.

My only fear is that Erza gets the short end of the stick next chapter and is forced to fight someone strong immediately after this event, then again, she may just win that as well. :D

• May 31, 2012 at 2:04 pmDangerMouse

So true, Erza is so freaking awesome.

• May 26, 2012 at 1:52 amAnanas

Hack & Slash.

• May 26, 2012 at 2:14 amDamrod

The real question in this chapter could probably be how strong she would be when Erza actually used any of her armors during that fight. Instead of donning one of her powerful armors, she still won. ^.^

• May 26, 2012 at 3:04 amPuffyPrincess

It’s already a known fact that Erza’s full offensive power does not involve her wearing any armor as it simply gets in the way. Obviously this is at the expense of defence, which is why she is so bloody at the end of the fight.

Personally I thought it was a silly move, she risked her life over something trivial like a competition.

• May 26, 2012 at 3:42 amJoe

we haven’t actually seen anyone die during any of these fights.

and if it truly is just a competition (i.e. not some sort of deathmatch system) then there’s pretty little reason to believe any of the competitions will result in death (and as far as i remember, but i’m not going back to look it up, no one has indicated that the competition is anything more than a game).

heck, the chapter even has Cana question the result if someone loses in Pandemonium, and the judge says nothing that would indicate it results in anything more than a “game over”. so risking her life isn’t really a factor as nothing indicates, regardless of how Erza approaches the game, that her life is at risk to begin with.

the game in this case would simply be a high offense/low durability gamble.

• May 26, 2012 at 3:46 amSinTei

epic.

• May 26, 2012 at 4:04 amJiCi

She hasn’t fought a battle in 7 years (in the manga at least), she hasn’t gotten Ultear’s Second Origin ability and she just skyrocketed her team to first place by getting 100 points… wow, she’s amazing.

• May 26, 2012 at 9:32 amYanDaMan

I thought she did get Ultear’s ability, she just didnt suffer pain like everyone else cause she’s boss.

• May 26, 2012 at 4:35 amsherry

This chapter gave me goose bumps!! Simply wonderful! :D
    I’m happy about Doranbold too, we didn’t really see much of him in the series but I somehow like this character, he looked pretty glad to see FT is doing well with his own eyes ^^

• May 26, 2012 at 7:40 amRyuuzaki21

Its been a while since i get this excited over Fairy Tail, this chapter renewed my love for this manga! Erza, you are still the only reason why i love fairy tail!

• May 26, 2012 at 7:48 amcaramel_cod

This is all set up to contrast with the cute, cuddly and dramatic emotional moments that will likely come from the Jellal/Erza/Millenia conflict. She’s a great character though, and I guess the sponsors seriously overestimated the strength of their monsters if Erza (who is technically weaker than many of the other S-class mages, though perhaps possessing greater willpower) could beat them all.

• May 26, 2012 at 9:04 amrochichan

Ahhhh! Erza!!!! This chapter was sooo good!
    I wonder where Jellal went though…

• May 26, 2012 at 9:20 amStereoman

He didn’t appear because of the council, no?

• May 26, 2012 at 9:31 amYanDaMan

You also have to take into account that you cant have FT win EVERY game or it will be too one sided and boring.

Also you have to take into account the actual challenge. Erza happens to be in a challenge that involves battle, which is her strong point, while Gray and Natsu’s challenge…yeah lol.

• May 26, 2012 at 1:25 pml3reezer

My guilty fanboy moments after reading the chapter twice:

Hiro Mashima:
    Introduce the next round with a new competition, have judge delivery a lengthy explanation of rules, portray the monsters’ strength in words and imagery, have the competitors all improvise on possible strategies, use the ten saints as comparative figures, have the judge respond to hypothetical situations (that wouldn’t even happen if what is about to happen didn’t happen), AND REINTRODUCE DRANBALT

JUST TO HAVE HIM BE ONE WITH THE READERS AND FUCKING SHED TEARS AT HOW EPIC ERZA SCARLET IS.

FUCK YEAH, BITCH-ASS STING, KEEP SWEATING AND TREMBLING EVERY TIME YOU SEE A FAIRY TAIL MEMBER GO ALL OUT. YOU COULDN’T EVEN HANDLE ROMEO. FUCK YEAH, SHUT YOUR FUCKING ASSES, AUDIENCE, WITH ALL YOUR FUCKING BOOS AND SHIEET.

• May 26, 2012 at 1:53 pmRose

Erza didn’t get her team 100 points. Remember the Hidden event from first day: they got points during that and then were ranked, with the person with the most points from the event winning their team 10 points for the Games. So Erza got 100 points for the event, giving her team 10 points for the Games. So Fairy Tail team A gets 12+10=22 points. Putting them in 2nd place behind Raven Tail.

Still pretty awesome, but they’re not in the lead (yet).

• May 26, 2012 at 3:59 pmDiyedas

“It is a bit upsetting to see Erza and Natsu winning almost all of their battles.”

Wait… what? Natsu didn’t even win his challenge, he got 6th place in the race and only earned the team 2 whole points.

• May 26, 2012 at 4:10 pmStereoman

I replied to a similar comment, earlier today. :]

• May 26, 2012 at 6:12 pmMing

BTW, 1 v 51 is more than enough … LOL !! That’s overkill …

• May 27, 2012 at 6:28 ambelatkuro

Then the other players will have gotten points.
      Going for 100 ensures that other teams won’t get points for this round.

• May 27, 2012 at 6:28 amJared Drake

lol. My Anime List forum has 128 Voting 5 out of 5 so far. Sounds about right! EPIC chapter! God, I love Erza… <3

• May 27, 2012 at 10:50 amMikkye

Erza, Queen of the fairies, ’nuff said

• May 28, 2012 at 3:33 amAizen

I don’t think she actually got 100 points. That’s only 10 points for being first.

• May 28, 2012 at 3:36 amAizen

Oops, didn’t see Rose’s reply. Yep, pretty much that. You know what would be funny? Everyone else getting 2nd place and 8 points each.

• May 28, 2012 at 4:17 amwÖw