Sankarea – 09 »« Sankarea – 07

Sankarea   08   19 Sankarea   08   20 Sankarea   08   21
Sankarea   08   22 Sankarea   08   23 Sankarea   08   24
Sankarea   08   25 Sankarea   08   26 Sankarea   08   27
Sankarea   08   28 Sankarea   08   29 Sankarea   08   30
Sankarea   08   31 Sankarea   08   32 Sankarea   08   33
Sankarea   08   34 Sankarea   08   35 Sankarea   08   36

「偽りの…自由…」 (Itsuwari no… Jiyuu…)
“Fake…Freedom..”

After an entire episode devoted to Ranko, I was really beginning to miss Rea. Not that I don’t like Ranko (I understand her a lot better now), but even as another female, I simply love Rea’s character more. I think it has something to do with the innocent and carefree vibe that she gives off – even with all the issues around her undead body. Random thought: So how come nobody at the dining table noticed that she was only eating poisonous leaves? Not to mention… the same leaves that Baabu was eating…

This entire episode was pretty much devoted to Rea’s craving to visit a mall (and shop!). Where else do you go on a first date right? Even I pity Chihiro for following Rea around all day. Fun for the girl, but definitely not fun for the guy (when he’s just watching you go through piles of clothes). It would feel even worse if Rea came out of it buying nothing; but luckily she ends up getting a cute sundress! All in all, it was adorable watching them spend the day together. Chihiro is a pretty thoughtful guy after all. He even purchased a coat for her just to prevent her body from deteriorating under the sun. Compared to his insensitive 6-year-old self, I would say that he’s really taking his promise seriously when he said that he would take full responsibility of her. Rea better not be taking him for granted!

Rea’s father makes his reappearance this episode as well! For some reason, after his whole naked-bathroom scene, I can never take him seriously anymore. I realize that this is meant to be a semi-serious setup (by abducting your own daughter), but I found it more amusing how the execution never went according to plan. This goes from Yasutaka’s obnoxious appearance to Rea’s surprising ability to defend herself. Of course, no one would imagine that she can lift a bench by herself. I was just as shocked as Chihiro when Rea took out 3 grown men on her own and still panicked and cried (as if anyone could still stand up after that…). I guess she’s just used to being the damsel in distress. Unfortunately Chihiro has taken that role from her at the end of the episode. Instead of your typical kidnapped girl, we have the guy who needs saving. What a unique turn of events – this is something I was definitely not expecting.

I’m glad that Sankarea can keep me on my toes. I generally don’t like watching predictable romantic comedies (even though I still do since it’s my favorite genre), but even though this show follows the same guidelines of a typical rom-com, it still manages to stand out amongst the few that I’ve seen recently. I originally thought that the whole zombie aspect was just a ploy to bring a girl and guy together. Now, I can see that the show really does revolve around Rea and how she adjusts to being a zombie. More importantly, how Chihiro helps her (and in the meantime, probably falls in love with her).

Seriously, I am not disappointed thus far and better yet, next week is all about Mero! She gets her own episode (even in a one cour show?), and I can’t explain why, but I’m excited to see her background story. I’ve always been interested in the quiet side characters.

Full-length images: 12, 16, 20, 23.

Sankarea   08   Preview 01 Sankarea   08   Preview 02 Sankarea   08   Preview 03
May 25, 2012 at 9:50 pm
  • May 25, 2012 at 10:00 pmFencedude

Oh man, that one kid with Mero, he has no idea how lucky he is.

• May 26, 2012 at 2:15 amOutcast

That’s a flat chested boy in a girl uniform?

• May 26, 2012 at 2:25 amAnanas

• May 26, 2012 at 12:27 pmSeishun Otoko

I LOL-ed when I saw them checking each other out XD
      It’s the little comic touches that make Sankarea so special

• May 27, 2012 at 12:05 pmbertman4

You’ve been watching too much anime if you think all 12 (possibly 11) year old girls should have breasts. Shinoda Ichie is a girl. She’s kind of into conspiracy theories. More will come clear next episode with the focus on Mero.

• May 25, 2012 at 10:23 pmFantomOmega

The fact that Rea’s father actually KNOWS that what’s he’s doing is wrong and was the reason for Rea’s ‘death’ but still wants to capture her brings the Creep factor up to 12 (11 was passed a LONG time ago with that naked tub filled with Rea’s pictures scene)

Yasutaka reminds me of another obnoxious, unreliable side character from Bleach and I hate him even more for making me remember (they look almost the same too) leave her alone and go molest your male friend!

• May 25, 2012 at 10:27 pmJHN

This episode made me officially like Rea even more. She is just so cute.

Especially the bench swinging scene was glorious.

• May 25, 2012 at 10:33 pmJHN

Wait I forgot something.

How can it be that as a zombie Rea can’t produce tears, but still can blush?

I let it slide earlier, but if they even go as far as not being able to cry, I just start wondering.

• May 26, 2012 at 1:27 amBio D

She still has blood inside her, so I guess she can do things with that.

• May 26, 2012 at 1:41 amCrook

@BioD Even if she has blood in her, her body is cold too. Why would the warm blood run through her cheeks in that case. I already wondered that since the beginning of the zombie thing, until I realized: It’s an anime, should I care? xD

• May 26, 2012 at 2:25 amBio D

@Crook, is cold blood still red? Maybe it’s a cold blush.

• May 25, 2012 at 10:37 pmRob

Tuturu?

• May 26, 2012 at 6:58 amKentaiyoshimi

You forgot to include the picture .
      ~Tuturuu!!!

• May 26, 2012 at 7:26 amMasterDragonKnight

It’s me. The organization has caught on to us and is trying to sabotage our date. I must travel back in time and ensure that it proceeds as planned, or else it could influence the progression of the world line and alter the very timeline.

Until my next message. El Psy Congroo!

• May 25, 2012 at 11:10 pmTingster013

Brain Limiter sucks!!! We must have our brain limiter gone as well, we will definitely surpass our potential!!!

• May 26, 2012 at 7:30 amMasterDragonKnight

• May 27, 2012 at 2:30 amBio D

You’ll also break every damn bone in your body and tear your muscles to shreds.

• May 25, 2012 at 11:11 pmBio D

Rea’s father has turned into a figurative cartoon character as well as a literal one. I just had to laugh at that fencing scene.
    Also, Chihiro’s constant filming of Rea skeeves me the hell out, considering what her life was like before this.

• May 25, 2012 at 11:46 pmEburin

Rea’s father just really creeps me out… I can’t imagine how she can even stand him touching her! Dx

• May 26, 2012 at 12:40 amJ-Luke

• May 30, 2012 at 7:00 amewok40k

icredibly lame pun, but spot-on!

• May 26, 2012 at 12:54 amUnajuuphile

Mero and Ranko are da best…and that boy with them…lucky bastard.

• May 26, 2012 at 7:51 amKou

Yeah, I wonder whats got those two on the right so interested. http://puu.sh/wTaa

• May 26, 2012 at 1:14 amBanana Furikake

I’d so like to smack Yasutaka with a bench.

• June 1, 2012 at 1:33 amcshin9

Who wouldn’t? Obnoxious appearance is obnoxious. I mean, he was leading someone astray.

• May 26, 2012 at 2:30 amvirox

Ehhh, I really wonder how this is going to play out.

• May 26, 2012 at 3:39 amAnanas

Chuuu…

• May 27, 2012 at 11:23 ambertman4

Uh, yeah, not sure how they are going to help out Chihiro here.

• May 26, 2012 at 4:15 amIRON-KLAC-MAN

ok then well um

cat hair boy still doing rea’s observe & protect while rea enjoy a normal life.
    babu unleash cat-leaf-ball while cat hair boy wonder rea do it as well?
    cat hair boy & rea goes mall fun time while wanko on the bath.
    wanko still hmm wonder to get cait hair boy here mero & pals to bath with them.
    while cat hair boy & rea mall wander there being watch mooks of rea’s father.
    cat hair boy is afraid of haunted house while rea enjoy more normal life.
    while her father want to “ruin her normal life” while fencing (yea WORST FATHER EVER).
    mooks ready to grab but that one of those two guys being blah blah.
    mooks just silent speak observe & yea let just grab rea but rea bench them all.
    next plan cat-nap the cat hair boy.
    now rea’s father plan some “spayed or neutered” etc ideas or worse to cat hair boy to ruin rea.

but next ep is mero ep.

• May 26, 2012 at 12:19 pmAnanas

Wanko get depressed because of Nekomimi being uncaring and selfish toward her yet he goes full deredere for Moezombieblob. Girl, open your eyes and forget him, he’s a dick, go grab ghostloli instead for some skinship.

Right now I feel that the serie as grow stale, if it wasn’t for Rea’s current state as a zombie (wich as many people point out is treated in quite a superficial way) it would be beyond generic.

• May 27, 2012 at 4:38 pmsealouse

So Chihiro gets kidnapped and then they do a Mero episode? What is up with this show. I also have to agree that it’s gotten a bit stale.

• May 27, 2012 at 5:09 pmThe Moondoggie

Rea’s dad’s henchmen seems like a reliable bunch: If you can’t kidnap the moe overpowered zombie girl, kidnap his creator/guardian/boyfriend.

• May 28, 2012 at 3:30 pmStranger

There remains the somewhat flawed logic of kidnapping someone in the middle of broad daylight right outside a shopping center where there are dozens of witnesses.

Of course there’s the ‘Bystander’ effect- but that’s hedging an awful lot of bets on it.

Bench scene made up for it, though. I’m expecting to see a .gif of that sometime.

• May 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm1Lau

For a Zombie Girl that can’t have Tears she sure can Blush

Sanka Rea, Yay!

• May 29, 2012 at 2:22 amNymphetamine2791

I loled at Rea owning the kidnappers.

• May 30, 2012 at 4:09 amewok40k

random thoughts:
    Rea: the first vegetarian zombie (unless you count Baabu…)
    Ranko, I’d love to shar e bath with her. Ouch!
    Note to myself – DONT try to abduct zombies. Ever. Unless I get some sort of superpower or at least mecha capable of breaking houses with its fists…
    Mero getting her own episode? I guess it will be fun!

• June 1, 2012 at 1:21 amcshin9

Chihiro got really annoying this episode. By that, I mean he wasn’t like a “typical” male lead, but in this episode, he was.