Kuroko no Basuke – 18 »« Kuroko no Basuke – 16

Kuroko no Basuke – 17

Kuroko no Basuke   17   01 Kuroko no Basuke   17   02 Kuroko no Basuke   17   03
Kuroko no Basuke   17   04 Kuroko no Basuke   17   05 Kuroko no Basuke   17   06
Kuroko no Basuke   17   07 Kuroko no Basuke   17   08 Kuroko no Basuke   17   09
Kuroko no Basuke   17   10 Kuroko no Basuke   17   11 Kuroko no Basuke   17   12
Kuroko no Basuke   17   13 Kuroko no Basuke   17   14 Kuroko no Basuke   17   15
Kuroko no Basuke   17   16 Kuroko no Basuke   17   17 Kuroko no Basuke   17   18
Kuroko no Basuke   17   19 Kuroko no Basuke   17   20 Kuroko no Basuke   17   21
Kuroko no Basuke   17   22 Kuroko no Basuke   17   23 Kuroko no Basuke   17   24
Kuroko no Basuke   17   25 Kuroko no Basuke   17   26 Kuroko no Basuke   17   27
Kuroko no Basuke   17   28 Kuroko no Basuke   17   29 Kuroko no Basuke   17   30
Kuroko no Basuke   17   31 Kuroko no Basuke   17   32 Kuroko no Basuke   17   33
Kuroko no Basuke   17   34 Kuroko no Basuke   17   35 Kuroko no Basuke   17   36

「ふざけた奴ばっかりだ」 (Fuzaketa Yatsu Bakkari da)
“You’re All Ridiculous”

Bar the doors, people – it’s witchcraft! There isn’t much else you could call Aomine’s crazy skills, and coupled with some fine animation from Production I.G. (at the expense of some of the far-away shots, go figure), Aomine Daiki has truly succeeded in marking himself as an otherworldly presence of some sort on the basketball court.

His seemingly limitless maneuverability requires some serious suspension of disbelief, even more than Midorima and his 100% accuracy – Aomine is the one who tests this boundary between fiction and reality the most. The sheer lack of logic is something that comes hand-in-hand with the genre, and although it’s never really bothered me to check rationality and real-life logic at the door, I am interested in seeing how Seirin will dig themselves out of this one, and how the show itself will manage to top a player like Aomine, if they ever do.

The Generation of Miracles members shown so far are all incredible players, but they’ve each had a serious weakness: Kise can copy anything, but his physique has to be better than his opponents for it to work, and imitation can only go so far; Midorima may make all of his shots, but this takes time and immense concentration – it’s good, but a tad impractical in the sense he loses a lot of his mobility. Aomine’s style, on the other hand, is rooted in his movement, which is more fundamental and harder to stop since it requires a much higher ability to adapt to a myriad of different situations. I suppose it’s worsened by the fact his style originates from street ball which – and do correct me if I’m wrong – differs greatly from traditional basketball taught by coaches and in school; a really lame comparison would be classical music vs. jazz music – each genre places emphasis on vastly different things and require different approaches to understanding them. Same applies to the predicament here, where traditional players like Hyuuga can’t counter against non-traditional players like Aomine since they’ve never been exposed to street style before. It makes sense even for someone like Kagami to be floored, since seeing something is different from actually encountering it first-hand – if he was taught the traditional way of basketball, that’s what his body and mind is used to. He may be able to recognize Aomine’s movements, but since he has never experienced it – or has had very limited experience – there’s simply no way he would know how to go about countering it.

To be honest, that’s a much better conflict than putting Aomine on a pedestal and calling him the “Next Boy Genius”. A conflict stemming from different playing styles might seem trite and even boring, but on some levels it’s a much more complex and layered one than slapping a label on somebody and trying to build a believable plot point around that single title. There’s a certain expectation that draws from the audience, which more than half the time a series cannot fulfill properly. KuroBasu is playing it pretty close here, as Aomine’s ability has been played up like the latest gossip in tabloid magazines. He’s certainly a very good player, but his skills have to be firmly grounded in something – I’m perfectly fine with abandoning my logic, as long as the show is putting in effort to create a universe where everything that happens within it is believable. His street style probably isn’t everything that makes Aomine the ace he is, but it offers a much more plausible and rational explanation for his skills than simply being made to believe he’s good. It’s less of a copout, and makes Seirin’s struggles against him much more believable and realistic within the context of the show, and that’s ultimately the most important part. A series forsaking real life logic is OK, as long as it’s trying to ensure that an event makes sense within its own universe. And although Aomine’s sheer genius is starting to test the limits of believability even in KuroBasu’s world, if his greatness becomes firmly grounded in the style of his play rather than his boundless potential/infamous reputation, the show should prevent itself from escaping into the stratosphere.

In that vein, I’m starting to understand why Seirin places so much value in Kagami – various characters have made comments on his insane jumping abilities, and frequently brought up his nationality as a consequence. I don’t claim to be an expert in the physique of Japanese men or how basketball is played internationally, but the fact Kagami learned how to play b-ball in the States probably has a lot bigger influence in his “invincibility” than I initially thought. He plays the American way, and even though he’s Japanese, his skills stem from a different origin, hence why he seems to stand out so much. I’m not really sure how much of Bakagami’s jumping skill is inherent to him – I’d wager fifty percent is innate, given good ol’ Dad’s surprise way back when, but the other half probably comes from being cultivated through experiences playing with others who were equal to or better than him in terms of physique and had similar styles… because let’s face it, it’s not that uncommon to find giants over 180cm in America.

So in the end, it’s not that Kagami is necessarily better than any of the opponents he’s faced – it’s more about the type of style he has, and the environment he played in. He’s definitely a great player, but I wonder if things will have the same result if he was playing in an American high-school team as opposed to a Japanese one. The heights are going to be vastly different for one thing… Actually, briefly glancing at all the “genius” players in the show, they all share one commonality: their height. It’s unusually tall for the average Japanese high-school player (most of Seirin’s players are under 180 cm; Kagami is 190 cm), so it’s a simple, but entirely possible, explanation for their abilities.

Terminology of the Day:

• Isolation: A strategy where one player goes man-to-man with another player on the opposing team while the rest of the team with the ball keeps the opponents away in order to let the ball-handler try and score (Google)

Random Corner:

Full-length images: 1, 2, 3, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 31.

ED2.3 Sequence

Kuroko no Basuke   ED2.3   01

ED2.3: 「カタルリズム」 (Kataru Rizumu) by OLDCODEX

Kuroko no Basuke   17   Preview 01 Kuroko no Basuke   17   Preview 02 Kuroko no Basuke   17   Preview 03

End Card

Kuroko no Basuke   17   End Card
July 29, 2012 at 7:59 pm
  • July 29, 2012 at 8:16 pmzleihsh

That’s just f*cking insane!!!

• July 29, 2012 at 8:23 pmhaizaraa

I hope Kise keeps coming up in every episode. His “-cchi” is hilarious ≧◡≦

• July 30, 2012 at 12:57 amBakaMochi

I love the way Kise talks. It’s not a dialogue style I’m familiar with, but it’s pretty darn fitting for him XD

• July 29, 2012 at 8:29 pmrochichan

They really blew the budget with this episode (not that mind) Animation really did make it look like an intense basketball game. Really excited for the next episode~

• July 29, 2012 at 8:33 pmmainavidesu

Just wanna share this as I know a lot of us who knows the basic rules of basketball or who plays basketball sometimes question a lot of things about KuroBasu. Like the unrealistic side etc… :) So here’s Fujimaki Tadatoshi-sensei’s confession.

Fujimaki-sensei, confess that when he started KuroBasu manga, he himself is not familiar of the basic rules of Basketball which is why some character plays in the manga are against the rules of BB. It took him 7 volumes before he manage to be familiar of the rules of BB and when that’s happen there are plays in the manga which he can no longer change even he wants too.

As for my own opinion, I can throw away my logic in basketball for this manga/anime as long as this series continue to amaze me and entertain me. I don’t have any complain even the characters do imposible things. Who cares, what I care is that the character development and relationship and the story itself. (^O^)

• July 29, 2012 at 9:05 pmBakaMochi

True that. Because honestly, it’s not just KnB that throws logic out the window – it’s every show.

I like to approach each series with a separate logic. They all build their own universe, and hence each have their own set of rationale and logic that applies to events that happen within the series. With that, the most important part becomes whether or not a certain plot point can be explained using the show’s logic rather than RL logic.

So far, nothing’s seemed that outrageous in KuroBasu. Except the longest 3 seconds of a match I’ve ever seen in my life. Maybe it was telepathy?

• July 29, 2012 at 9:14 pmmainavidesu

Glad to know that were on the same boat.

I agree with that longest 3 seconds too.. but it’s an anime so it’s acceptable. Though that made me laugh hard.(^_^)

Time clock: 00:03 (Minutes:Seconds)
        Midorima: Let me tell you my life story!

LOL

• July 30, 2012 at 12:59 amBakaMochi

Skill Activation: Time Stop!

And let’s not forget his facial gymnastics :P

• July 31, 2012 at 12:40 pmRasen

Which plays were illegal? I don’t remember them.

• August 1, 2012 at 10:15 pmmainavidesu

Sorry late reply.

One I remember properly is Kuroko punching the ball, that’s illegal that’s why it was change to his palm rather than his fist.

(^_^)

• July 29, 2012 at 8:49 pmAkuamari

as much as i’m rooting for Kuroko and Kagami, i couldn’t help but be excited and amazed by Aomine’s skills! =O this was such a good episode!

• July 30, 2012 at 1:00 amBakaMochi

Yeah… I was pretty much floored, too! That backboard shot was just amazing. Mind was blown. Several times lol

• July 29, 2012 at 8:53 pm-blacksheep

Aomine’s back board shot was pretty amazing but what I’m really looking forward to the most are those amazing formless shots he did in the manga XD

• July 30, 2012 at 2:31 amBakaMochi

If that means more facial gymnasitcs from Seirin, bring it on!

• July 29, 2012 at 9:21 pmgrey

LOL ilu Bakamochi! Kise \o/
    I got over all of the unrealistic stuff right away, I don’t even focus on suspending my disbelief or whatever, caring about that stuff pretty much ruins the series. I’m just in it for the ride and for more MiraGen revelations and bishounens.
    OH and the animation was AWESOME in this episode. Those dribbling sequences when the street ball starts, sooooo good.

• July 30, 2012 at 5:44 pmBakaMochi

Kise <3 I personally can’t wait for that eventual face-off between him and Aomine. That is going to be awesome.

There was actually one particular shot that really impressed me in terms of production values – made the background seem like an actual basketball court instead of… well, the backdrop in an anime XD

• July 29, 2012 at 9:21 pmzleihsh

I think that is called a cross over, I saw people do it all the time in America.

• July 29, 2012 at 10:02 pmEunichi

Abandon logic!!! Well, most animes do so why bother? However, some will say this is basketball so they must be realistic. But this is shounen manga and in the sports genre anything can happen even though the characters are just middle schoolers and high schoolers. Even the much raved/glorified Slam Dunk has also unrealistic sides to it. So, let’s just enjoy the show and don’t mind logic!

Anyway, why in their world females do not even know how to prepare food? Oh well, you’re cute so I’ll forgive you Momoi.

• July 29, 2012 at 10:29 pmnaixil

it’s ok for the females not to know how to do the simplest sports nutrition food, the honey lemon slices, as long as we have Mitobe and “apologetic mushroom” Wakamatsu to provide them. hohoho.

Riko and Junpei has great telepathy. how do you explain why they both use the “apologetic mushroom” nick on Wakamatsu. (<- i feel for you man, you probably didn't deserve that nick!)

as much as Aomine is being such an ass, you really can't make yourself dislike him, especially when he's so awesome on court. all the blocking between Kagami and him makes me catch my breath. every. time.

more Midorimacchi and Kise please!

• July 30, 2012 at 2:36 amBakaMochi

@Eunichi: Cooking is hard XD I should know… I try all the time and fail spectacularly orz

@naixil: Where does the mushroom thing come from? Is it the hair? LOL Bakagami and Ahomine totally stole the show this ep though – those heart-stopping shots!

• July 30, 2012 at 6:45 amnaixil

his hair looks pretty normal to me. XD

• July 29, 2012 at 11:18 pmFT5Havok

I think Midorima is the impossible one here not Aomine, if you have seen NBA players like Jamaal Crawford (Shake and Bake Move) and Allen Iverson do these sick crossovers you won’t be surprised and some people in the NBA already did the behind the backboard shot like he did in the last play of this episode so it’s not that surprising compared to Midorima’s full court shot plus a guy (Kagami) contesting it. It is true that making a shot behind the backboard in an actual game is pretty damn hard. People can consider them flukes but still they’re makable shots. But if he makes those shots everytime he tries them, then logic shall be broken. =)

• July 30, 2012 at 1:23 amlol

ya the dribbles r possible and shooting over the back board can b done i think kobe did that like a few yrs ago in a game against okc

• July 30, 2012 at 11:49 amRasen

Aren’t there videos of LeBron doing full-court shots?

• July 30, 2012 at 5:47 pmBakaMochi

Err dunno about Lebron’s full-court shots, but I did find a video of Kobe Bryant doing a backboard shot! Lol beware of shit video quality though:

• July 31, 2012 at 12:42 amMormegil

If Kobe can do it, I guess it’s okay. =D

• July 30, 2012 at 12:05 amAho-mine

I did listen to the character songs! Out of all of them(kuroko,kagami,kise,midorima,and takao)
    I liked takao’s songs. They’re very catchy! Can’t wait for aomine’s songs. Plus kagami sounds cool when he sings (yuki Ono actually )

• July 30, 2012 at 12:56 amBakaMochi

ACE-SAMA NI BANZAI!

I can’t wait for their duet single. If there is one. But there has to be. Why wouldn’t there be?

• July 30, 2012 at 7:52 amyingying

There are duets!! Will be out late aug!!! ^_^ Can’t wait for them.
        And i love kagami’s character song side B. It was a nice surprise, and it became my fave song!

• July 30, 2012 at 12:11 amIntricateRadiance

I’m more in love with Kuroko’s Ignite Pass in this episode than anything else. I squealed. And then yelled at the screen as soon as Aomine blocked Kagami’s shot.

Is Kise just going to be in every episode from now on? … Fine by me. :D

Aomine’s a boss. In an asshole-y kind of way. (On a side note: Every single episode I fall more in love with Kagami and Kuroko as individual characters and players. It’s amazing.)

• July 30, 2012 at 1:03 amBakaMochi

That pass is symbolic in so many ways… I get chills watching it each time :3

Who cares why Kise’s in the ep? As long as he’s in it <3

Yes. Ahomine = boss. It’s kind of amazing though how wonderful these characters are. I seriously can’t pick a favorite anymore.

• July 30, 2012 at 5:27 amSharingod

Well if people’ve read the manga, Aomine’s skills in this episode is nothing compared to what he can really do. Guess we’ll see it in the next episode, i hope =)

• July 30, 2012 at 6:42 amThat Lazy Shounen

At the start I just dismissed it as another sports anime, but seeing its rank on Anime Planet got me tempted.
    Picked it up 16 episodes in. No regrets.

Aomine is cool and all, but you know you can’t wait to see what Seirin have up their sleeves! (Nothing, as they’re wearing vests… Anyone? ;_;)

• July 30, 2012 at 6:50 amnaixil

Izuki would totally dig your joke.

Junpei would probably give you his demon clutch-mode stare. HA!

• July 30, 2012 at 8:46 amoutcast

“Has anyone else listened to the character singles? Because Kagami’s B-side… wow. What. Mind was blown.” I got them singles. but what song is the b side

• July 30, 2012 at 8:47 amoutcast

You mean that song with a guy singing on rock guitar? What about that song?

• July 30, 2012 at 5:49 pmBakaMochi

The B-side is Michi no Tochuu, I believe. I had no idea Ono Yuuki could sing so well, and a ballad no less! Didn’t know Bakagami had it in him :P

• July 31, 2012 at 1:18 amoutcast

Ah atah, not bad at all. Are there any other good chara songs?

• July 31, 2012 at 2:56 pmBakaMochi

Hmm… these are just my preferences, but:

Kuroko: Kimi ga Hikari de Aru Tame ni > Future Line (his voice sounds a lot better in Kimi ga)
        Kise: I love both Perfect Copy and Sha La La Goes On, but he’s a tad behind in terms of singing ability (he really strains on those high notes lol)
        Midorima: A-side (Nerai Doori no Destiny) > B-side (Iwaku Kani za no Kichijitsu ni). Midorima probably comes first or second in vocal ability
        Takao: Definitely Ace-sama ni Banzai over FOV – it’s a lot more upbeat and funny.

I haven’t heard the other ones yet so I can’t really comment on Aomine/Hyuuga/etc.’s yet. Hope that helps!

• July 30, 2012 at 10:58 pmdarkpaladin

If that scoreboard in the preview is true, it will end up in a blowout. So its too early to beat Aomine.

• July 31, 2012 at 7:39 amzleihsh

If you are interested in what are they (GoM) like in Middle school, then here, someone made a viedo on youtube. It was LOL.
    ~ Have Fun ~

• July 31, 2012 at 2:16 pmrandom viewer

Kagami will just have to copy those mad skills of Aomine. Or Kuroko will just pass the ball into the net. I look forward to seeing how the game will end.

• August 1, 2012 at 10:17 pmmainavidesu

For the record – Kuroko no basuke 1st DVD/Blu-ray volume sold 12,610 copies in just 5 days.

The Power Of Fujoshi!!! (LOL)

I smell another season! Winter Cup!!!

• August 1, 2012 at 10:42 pmBakaMochi

I saw that too! Lol Power of Fujoshi – that’s exactly what I thought! XDD

I think Production I.G. was planning a S2 from the beginning anyway… look at that content in the OP/ED… no way are they gonna fit all that into the remaining episodes! *___*

• August 2, 2012 at 1:36 ammainavidesu

There’s a massive number of Fujoshi after all. Ikebukuro Animate branch is full of Fujoshi yesterday cuz of KuroBasu Ichibankuji prize. The line is from 5th floor to ground floor. I don’t want to be step on so I just took photos. LOL

I was thinking that too, but OnoY and OnoK mention in KuroBasu radio that the anime will end on October. (=_=)

They really sound serious and sad so I am worried that there won’t be another season. (+_+)

Anyway, with the DVD/Blu-ray sales topping the spring anime chart sales there’s a chance will get another season. Probably the Winter Cup Arc. (^_^)