Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II – 07
「広間の語り部」 (Hiroma no Kataribu)
“Storyteller in the Hall”
Why won’t England let Musashi leave port?
How did Adele and Suzu know that Mary was going to be executed?
Why can’t Neito use her Silver Chains without her nails?
Half-Elven Maturity Levels
Why did everyone run from the big bowl of seaweed Horizon pulled out in the changing room?
Elizabeth vs Masazumi – The Debate
Who is the man at the very end? How about this “Macchan” he mentioned?
As normal, there was a lot going on this episode, but I’m actually going to keep this one pretty short for once, because those explanations took up a long time and onii-chan can’t stay up for hours spewing impressions tonight. What a shame! Hopefully next week. Here we go.
Mary, Her Twin, Her Execution, and Tenzou (again)
Ahhh, so Mary and Elizabeth were twins after all! I suppose that’s why she was “spirited away by fairies”…to obscure the fact that she was born only a few minutes before Elizabeth. Perhaps? Regardless, Mary’s goodbye to Tenzou, if you took the she’s-not-actually-going-to-be-executed thing at face value, was quite odd. Why the attempted goodbye kiss if she was going to return to being Scarred-chan afterwards? Luckily, Suzu, Adele, and Futayo figured out that this was all a load of bullshit, and then everything made sense again. Self-sacrificing Mary is going to accept her death, for the good of England. Alright! The damsel in distress is officially setup! Now all that remains is for Tenzou to–oh, wait. Nevermind. Well, I’m certain we’ll be seeing more of him soon, so no worries.
The Silly Parts
Kyoukaisen is already great about mixing some wholeheartedly slapstick (and possibly ecchi) humour amidst all the serious battles and politicking. This episode my by far favorite one was the whole Neito scene. Look at that blush, HNNNNGGG!! Nothing like Kimi-nee faking seriousness (the OST gave you away, Kimi-nee…though that just made it funnier ^^), and then Toori and Horizon giving their approval before the slapstick commences. I also like that there was a sly hint (which I didn’t catch at the time – Horizon pulling the apple and knife out of nowhere) towards the next silly part in this whole thing – Horizon’s newly installed hammerspace (trope!). So that’s where Lype Katarripsi went. Trope justified.
Okay, so the hammerspace thing wasn’t so much silly as has the potential for a lot of silly stuff in the future. It did immediately feed into something that was, though – trap Toori! I hope I wasn’t the only one who realized the second that “new character” appeared on screen that it was Toori, because if so that probably says something strange about me. Either way, in this case knowing what was coming made it all the more funny! I know how you feel, Asama. I guess it’s time for – yup, Toori is naked again. More skinny guy butt/bondage fanservice for the ladies, I suppose.
I go over this in ridiculous detail in the explanation section above – though I fear it’s not as clear as normal. I’m sorry; it’s been a bit of a crazy day – so I’ll be brief here. One of the thing I’ve always enjoyed about Kyoukaisen is that they have fights that don’t actually involve fists, which is great for having some variety. Also, they’re kind of hard to understand, which is nice because it’s actually a bit of a challenge! But mostly, I’d have to say I’m a little surprised; I never would have imagined that debates would be so interesting to me, but I always find myself enjoying them here, even when I spend an hour or more figuring out exactly what they said (hopefully) so I can tell you guys.
One other thing – in most Kyoukaisen debates so far, I’ve found that there is one identifiable moment where the tides turn for whoever is going to win, and for some reason that’s just a treat to experience. I remember the moment clearly in Masazumi vs Toori in Season One, and it was one of my favorite moments in a strong episode during the Horizon vs Toori debate shortly thereafter. Here, it was when Masazumi broke out the “sure, you could get other countries to sink us – but you can’t do it yourself” card on Elizabeth, and I just smiled. Perhaps it’s because they still had a while to make it to the end, so I could savor the impending victory a little more, but either way I always love those moments. More, more!
Next week I look forward to seeing how Gin and Velazquez think they can stop the Musashi/England alliance, and who this new guy at the very end that looks like he’s about to join the debate at Oxford. Hopefully we’ll see a little more of Felipe as well – despite him being the leader of who are sort of the enemy (at least for the moment), I can’t help but feel for the guy. A man who has lost everything, yet still cares for those who are downtrodden…is it okay if everyone has a happy ending? Except maybe Innocentius. He’s sort of a dick.
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – The truth about Mary, naked Neito, crossplaying Toori, & an epic debate between Seijun & Elizabeth. Things are really heating up! #Kyoukaisen
- So Hocchan and Yukarin are playing twins again. Anyone else have a sudden urge to watch Ben-to? Mmmm, delicious twin thigh meat…
- No Asama, Tenzou could never have boring death. He still has a damsel to rescue! And besides, he…wait. Was that a death flag…? Ohhh it better fuckin’ not be. If so, Stilts is gunna be pissed.
- Apparently for Drake, that whole losing-his-arms thing really was just a flesh wound. Apparently he got better.
- Neito HNNNNNNNNGG!!!
- If you’ll allow me, I need to indulge my girly side – oh my gods, their outfits are just sooooo cute!! Like seriously, where can I get one of these red number? That would look totally bitchin’ for my date next– *is struck by lightning* Ow. That might have been too much.
- I am fascinated by their communication system. At first I thought it was just a chat room, and I was right – save that it’s a chat room which everyone in their whole country can listen in on. So like IRC with a dash of Twitter? And some cute chibis? Sign me up! Where can we get one of those for RandomC…
- By the way, it amused me who realized that Toori was crossplaying. Kimi-nee? Obviously. Asama. No surprise. Me? Worrisome, but no leap there. But Adele? Did not see that one coming! Our adorable flat retainer is quite the perceptive one, ne? Yes, that’s her chat screen name, “Flat Retainer.” Masochist much, Adele?
- Forget the Toori service. For the ladies, this episode was all about Seijun going super hardcore bifauxnen (trope!) all over the place. It just goes to show you – in anime, the best men are the women, Orz.
- Even when I try to be quick, I still end up writing a ton about this show. Damn you, Kyoukaisen! Now somebody stop me, because I’m clearly out of control T__T