Accel World – OVA »« Accel World – 23

Accel World   24   28 Accel World   24   29 Accel World   24   30
Accel World   24   31 Accel World   24   32 Accel World   24   33
Accel World   24   34 Accel World   24   35 Accel World   24   36
Accel World   24   37 Accel World   24   38 Accel World   24   39
Accel World   24   40 Accel World   24   41 Accel World   24   42

「Reincarnation; 再生」 (Saisei)

I’m usually scared for finales like Accel World because their source is still on-going and the anime seems to tie relatively well to the light novel. All things considered though, I think AW did a great job coming together for its last episode (of the season) and tied as many loose ends as it could. It’s one of those endings that leave a “to be continued” feeling. At the same time, the ending is satisfying enough to leave me with a happy ending so I’m not craving a second season. That’s right; I am not dying for a second season. It would be nice, but I also think that this season is great standalone anime and there’s no compelling reason for me to sign an angry petition for another season.

Since Noumi appeared, I was always curious of how he could go down. I have to say that his end… came in one of the most satisfying ways possible. It makes me feel a little sadistic, but I don’t care because he deserves it. He deserves being chopped up and losing his abilities. He should consider his memory loss a blessing because now he doesn’t have to remember the torments of his brother or his desire for power. He seems happy enough as he is now right? I would consider what Haruyuki did, a favor to Noumi.

I continuously bashed Chiyuri in the past few episodes, and now, I kind of regret it (although not entirely). Since her partnership with Noumi and her lack of emotions – I just could not empathize or find any positive spin to her point of view. Luckily for her, she nearly redeems herself this episode and even though I almost never find twists surprising anymore, her plan execution actually blew me away. I never thought of her as someone “clever” and cunning, but her ability to think so far ahead and know herself (clearly I didn’t know her at all), actually paid off. Hopefully with a new season, she can prove to be more useful with her ability to revert time.

There’s finally been more development between Haruyuki and Kuroyukihime as well and their reunion was sweeter than I imagined. His request truly did sound like a proposal, but I guess that’s just misinterpretation on my part. All the hugging and handholding was adorable though. Haven’t I mentioned this before? I think AW does a great job on emphasizing the relationship Haruyuki and Kuroyukihime. As many girls pop in and out of Haruyuki’s life, there’s only one that he wants to be with.

Full-length images: Final episode! I’m going to be sad now because my first 2-cour show has finally ended.

Final Impressions:

In all honesty, blogging a 2-cour show is not as difficult as it seems when there’s so much going on. Accel World is a show that has a lot going on. The premise makes it sound like a shallow, typical action series, but it’s not. There’s a lot of depth to the characters, a lot of depth (and breadth) to the Accelerated World and (although I had issues with it in the beginning), there’s always new elements to be discovered.

I know one of the major turnoffs for most of people who start watching this series is Haruyuki. He’s fat, he’s short, he has quite a few girls surrounding him, and he has no qualities that make him stand out as a protagonist. My argument for this is – I don’t think any protagonist should be “perfect”. The point of a story is to see a character grow and develop and if they’re already “perfect”, then the show just isn’t interesting or progressing anywhere. Yes, Haruyuki isn’t perfect and he does suffer a bit from “main character syndrome”, but I promise that it doesn’t last long and soon, you find out that he has many flaws (many of which aren’t easily solved).

The first half of the series, is admittedly a lot of setup. The typical scenarios are predictable and quick to jump to conclusions. There are a lot of characters introductions (for reoccurring characters) and very stereotypical reasons for things to happen. Of course, there are always going to be painful episodes to watch and for AW, the majority of them were within the first few episodes. For me, the real excitement began with the introduction of Chrome Disaster.

With all that said, I still believe that AW has a lot more redeeming points than faults. There is a deep underlying story that is waiting to be unfolded and there’s a lot of potential which I would love to see in a second season. The characters are all unique and fun to watch (my favorites being Yuniko and Sky Raker) while the story actually takes its time to unravel piece by piece. It all comes together one way or another and that’s what I can appreciate about this finale. So for anyone who hasn’t given AW a chance (whether it be because of Haruyuki or the bucket of tears spilled in this show or the seemingly general tone at the beginning), it is worth a shot and I guarantee that there are enough surprises to keep it thriving.

September 23, 2012 at 12:25 am
  • September 23, 2012 at 12:29 amCybersteel

Hoping for next season woots!

• September 23, 2012 at 2:58 amMixed Milkshake

Season 2 confirmed for 2013 October Fall Season

• September 23, 2012 at 6:28 amArcad

Got some sort of verification for that?

• September 23, 2012 at 7:54 amMixed Milkshake

At this point in time, calling it confirmed might be a little premature, for that I apologies.

Two pieces of information was leaked into several Japanese forums regarding sequels for two anime series, both slated to show in October the Fall Season of 2013. One of them is Accel World Season 2 the other is To Aru Majutsu no Index Season 3. All information however, were erased within a day of appearing, someone lucky enough to catch that piece of information passed on the message to me. The very act of erasing the information seems to validate their authenticity. I can’t promise 100% accuracy of the information, at this point in time we can only hope for the best.

• September 23, 2012 at 11:45 amHalfDemonInuyasha

And when you consider some things that either only JUST got resolved or some things that haven’t been resolved (like Haru’s brief possession by the fragment of the Chrome Disaster armor those couple of times), it certainly wouldn’t be surprising.

• September 23, 2012 at 6:32 pmhaseo0408

That sounds credible enough, thanks for letting us know. Now we just have to wait an entire year for the contiution of this awsome story.

• September 24, 2012 at 8:32 pmLegacy

i wouldn’t mind the wait at all ..:D

• September 25, 2012 at 5:47 amThe Moondoggie

A whisper is better than nothing MM! Thanks for the heads up.

Anyway we finally reached the end. I don’t feel that it finished strong, or weak. It feels just right, just like how anime supposed to end.

Poor Noumi, all his tricks and plans came to naught and he got “killed” in the way he deserves it. But as for how peaceful he seems… Well let’s leave it at that, eh?

Series score 9/10

• September 23, 2012 at 12:51 pmPIGLET

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• September 24, 2012 at 3:41 pmboo-ya!

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• September 23, 2012 at 12:32 amSana

Thanks for blogging this show Cherrie! :D

• September 23, 2012 at 12:37 amKurisu Vi Britannia

And there goes another anime that didn’t get the amount of episodes it deserves only for me to hope that it one day comes back to finish the story T_T

BURST LINK!

• September 23, 2012 at 12:46 amfoo

I can’t believe how many times this show made me watch a fat naked kid.

• September 23, 2012 at 4:36 amLasgoS

Yeah, why is there a need to show naked Haru repeatedly in this final episode? It’s waaaay too distracting

• September 23, 2012 at 5:02 amLightnDark

^^Seriously this.

That being said, I will endure the endless cliffhangers each week, more angry/crying/nekkid Haru, RAGE INDUCING ANTAGONISTS (well not really) for more..

FUUKO/SKY RAKER! Pic 29 was a good attempt, but no! KYH and whoever else please make way for the #1 waifu spot now!

I am the master of my harem
      Fat is my body and cholesterol is my blood
      I have slain over a thousand nerds
      Unknown to Mom, Nor known to KYH
      Have withstood slaps to gather many waifus
      Yet, that face will never look handsome
      So as I pray, UNLIMITED ACCELERATED WORLD!

PS:Gif S2 soon please :)
      PSS: Thanks Cherrie for the coverage and grats :D

• September 23, 2012 at 12:48 amEntrav

That was honestly an epic episode as an ending. Really liked the battle and how Noumi got absolutely destroyed. Everyone reunites which is always nice. I really liked the ending sequence as well; puts a good emphasis on a second season because of future cast members.

• September 23, 2012 at 3:16 amMixed Milkshake

You’ll never guess the Duel Avatar for one of them… they’re just way too different!

• September 23, 2012 at 7:03 amjrj

yeah, that one was kind of shocking… but nice on the other hand…
        though I want to see more of Ardor Maiden and Aqua Current!!! they are awesome as elements :)

• September 23, 2012 at 12:15 pmnyaa

I do see ash roller’s user in the ending sequence though …or is it?

• September 23, 2012 at 12:48 amGermanguy

Okay, the end. With Black Rose crying with her “old friend”? Surprised me. I smell a 2nd Season

• September 23, 2012 at 12:51 amGermanguy

See, i was right. That she will “turn back time” to that Point before he got Harus Wings. She “reseted” him

• September 23, 2012 at 12:53 amGermanguy

But, i fear. The Writer could use that as “deus Ex Machina”. In Basic, she has the Power to reduce everyone to Level 1 again… If you think it to the end

• September 23, 2012 at 7:04 amjrj

nope, Chiyu’s power doesn’t work to that effect. practically the only thing she can’t revert is leveling up… but she could revert back equipping enhanced armament and other changes to avatar…

• September 23, 2012 at 12:51 amMocha

the reunion scene got me.

SEASON 2 !!!!!!!!!

• September 23, 2012 at 1:03 amR

That reunion on the bridge <3

• September 23, 2012 at 1:43 amc2710

and the full length panorama of it….

• September 23, 2012 at 1:08 amTingster013

Firstly, still cannot accept that everyone reconcile like nothing happened… Make Noumi look like a complete idiot after he loses Accel World since the game remove your memory. And the ending where Noumi move his hands like a bird, totally make me feel for Noumi, he is like some retarded guy with mental issue now. I feel so sad for him. Well, you reap what you sow but still this is too much.

And the Chiyu bit, the “It is all part of the plan” part pisses me off, just pisses me off, like making the whole Noumi arc from something so interesting to a arc that is totally lame. I understand now but I still dun like Chiyu, just not so much like before.

And where is Chrome Disaster? Trying to tease us, let it make 1 appearance and no more. Which mean there will be 2nd season?

Overall a great show, but cliche ending about friendship(a bit of Fairy Tail) spoil it for me. Still, a better show compared to SAO in my opinion.

• September 23, 2012 at 1:10 amAnanas

Once again Nomi’s absolute unability to let go of anything was highly comical.

It’s hard to be a woman.
    Chiyu’s “betrayal” was made for the greater good and without any ill will, and for that she received a lot of backlash from the audience (even from the ones who knew). She is a girl who put the bonds between her friends above her personal feelings.

Taku’s betrayal was made out of pure jealously and selfish desire. He is a boy who put his personal feelings above his bonds with his childhood friends, betraying both of them and adding to their suffering for some years. Taku was a Nomi, people forget.

So from here it seems that Chiyu is a “slut” and Taku is “suffering”.
    It’s hard to be a woman.

Did Nomi reverted back to a 5 years old? No wonder he didn’t want to lose his acceleration.

Final impressions, the concept behind AW is top shonen material, most fights were quite entertaining, the issue? Characters tend to throw far too many sappy/patronizing overlong speeches far too often.

• September 23, 2012 at 11:47 amHalfDemonInuyasha

Taku even admitted to Noumi that he was like him, but was able to work his way out and be a better person.

• September 23, 2012 at 1:18 amNymphetamine2791

I was here thinking about Mortal Kombat and yelling in my mind, “FINISH HIM” when Haru was going to end Noumi, lmao.

• September 23, 2012 at 1:29 am†Croos†

BEST PART: BOKU NO KASOKU NADA! YADA! YADAAA!

I bet Cherrie didn’t notice this.

• September 23, 2012 at 1:32 amMrRei

Forgive my stupidity
    (;¬_¬)

• September 23, 2012 at 1:55 amDa5id

Dear god…I sat through the whole thing.

• September 23, 2012 at 1:42 amc2710

great finale post cherrie though for this pic >> http://randomc.net/image/Accel%20World/Accel%20World%20-%2024%20-%20Large%2003.jpg the other half is missing

and so much kuroyukihime full lengths ^_^

we now heard fuuko call our black snow princess sac-chan… lets start speculating her name!

it definitely should have sa- or sac- in it… i’m guessing it might be sakura?

• September 23, 2012 at 11:56 amsolarasreign

My best bet is “Sachiko”.

• September 23, 2012 at 7:02 pmKairoru

I think it’s “Sachika”. It’s the seiyuu’s real name :D

• September 24, 2012 at 7:27 amCherrie

I actually wanted to piece that full-length together… but I felt like I would be spoiling everyone with too much KYH o_o

• September 24, 2012 at 4:55 pmSekai

We can never have enough KYH.

• September 25, 2012 at 12:31 amfoo

Her name is also supposed to be like her ‘nickname,’ although I don’t know if that means Black Lotus or Kuroyuki. My guess is something like Kuroi Sakura, but if that’s the case I don’t know why she would hate it so much :/

• September 25, 2012 at 10:52 amKuroyukihime

Her name might be Satsuki…

Satsuki-chan might be long so japanese tend to shorten and make cute of names like Sacchan…

• September 23, 2012 at 1:45 amfragb85

So basically it was Chiyuri’s and Kuroyukihime’s plan all along. I guess that makes the guys look like incredibly incompetent chumps? But then I can’t stand any of the male cast at this point so that’s fine for me.

I really wish I could say nicer things to this show since I was liking it at first, but everything involving Noumi put so much bile on my viewing experience. I couldn’t even feel satisfied at his defeat, just relief that this horrible arc was done. I just wish this season could have ended in a better note.

• September 23, 2012 at 1:50 amSCO

Am I missing something or is there a bit of a plot hole when Noumi overheard his brother crying at the loss of his acceleration and when the audience discovers that Brain Burst removes any associated memories of itself when it gets deleted?

• September 23, 2012 at 2:01 amBakaro

I must say, i’m disappointed by the conclusion for the longest arc in this season (If there is any more). All the enduring of the agony didn’t payoff.

The main reason is Chiyuri’s “betray” did not sit well with me. The idea of teaming up with the enemy just to “power up” her supposedly healing skill insanely ridiculous, the possibly of the plan goes wrong is infinitely high. Honestly, i think anyone here can think of a better plan in execution, without putting the relationship with your friends/lover at risk.

Overall, Accel World only turn out decent as a whole in my book. Would have scored much better grade if wasn’t for the last arc. =/

• September 23, 2012 at 2:52 amBoo

I think another reason why she might want to stay with Nomi is so that Nomi doesn’t have any suspicion about the true nature of her skill or sumthing like that. If Nomi realizes something is off about her skill and takes it, that’s the end of everything. One chance is better than none at all no?

• September 23, 2012 at 3:01 amMocha

honestly the plan chiyu used might not be the best but look at how fast she caught up in levels to haru and taku, i beleive she is only 1-2 level below em and look at how long ago those two started. i can say haru and taku are both bad at leveling even if they aren’t weak at all.

her goal was to get haru his wings back, she needed levels to make her reverse time stronger, and if she went to level with those 2 nomi would probabaly have got in her way and the longer the whole process takes id assume the more power she’ll need to reverse the whole thing and shes gona end up needing more levels and time will continue to go by and she might have never been able to retrieve em back.

sometimes just doing things that are best for people around you even if it makes you look bad is just a way to show that you want whats best for the people you care about. not always the best method but it’s a good intention

• September 23, 2012 at 4:37 amBakaro

First, i need to come clean that i’m not here to “bash” the series. Quite the opposite, i loved it. Maybe the show just failed to live to my expectation.

Boo’s scenario here is something everyone, including me, have thought to be one of the best we assume to be. Of course, i will agree to that there are more than zero chance of succeeding.

Mocha’s scenario is… something i will gladly accept if the show did went and present itself that way.

However, that is the problem here. The show did not establish enough to support that scenario to be believable. We the audience have to convince ourselves “Yeah, that should be the case”.

Right now, the plot only appear to me as “cheap writing”, making a convenience entrance to a “friend-turn-foe” plot. The author, or maybe the director of the adaption, should have come up with some better background setting to further development the scenario to convince the audience, agreeing what presented maybe the best possible plan available. Enforcing a simple rule such as “Healing doesn’t work on enemies, but only team mates”, will make itself way more appealing.

PS: Sorry, i just have to get that out. Oh, and sorry for my poor English.

• September 23, 2012 at 2:03 amDa5id

Well, it was a typical light novel adaptation ending, leaving just enough unresolved for a sequel. But overall, an enjoyable series.

Also, Kuroyukihime’s made it to Round 2 of Saimoe this year and her match is on the 3rd! Now, admittedly her chances of getting the crown are very slim this year, especially with Saki pretty much destroying all other competition, but it’ll still be good to see her get a little far!

• September 23, 2012 at 2:12 amEuzio

Anyone got a sense of deja-vu when Kuroyukihime said she was afraid and did not know what to do if she had lost Haru…. cuz the words she spoke was an almost exact copy of what Asuna said to Kirito after he barely survived defeating the 74th floor boss in SAO. XD

PS: Did we get a tiny hint of Kuroyukihime’s real name as well? Raker did call her “Saachan”….

• September 23, 2012 at 7:50 amSuppa Tenko

• September 23, 2012 at 2:18 amdestinyflower

Nice to see Sky Raker again in the last episode.

You did a great job in covering Accel World!

• September 23, 2012 at 2:50 amStereoman

So many questions remain unanswered… I hope there’ll be a second season to make up for that.

Anyway, great coverage! Congratulations! :]

• September 24, 2012 at 7:41 amCherrie

Thanks! I can’t wait to start new shows in fall though =)

• September 23, 2012 at 2:59 amBoo

When people disliked this show because of the fat and pig-like protagonist, I actually couldn’t prefer it any other way. Aside from the fact that this is almost the first time that an anime protagonist isn’t impossibly proportional, it also shows that even fat people could be cool, in his own way.

Really hoping for a 2nd season and if possible to progress Haru and Kuroyukihime’s relationship.

• September 23, 2012 at 12:04 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

I know what you mean. I did think that Haru, as different from the norm as he was, was a refreshing main character.

Usually, it’s the guys that look like Taku or Noumi who are the main characters; bishi-looking guys who, even if they have NO huge personality flaws, are somehow at the bottom of the food chain in their social standings (primarily with girls, of course). On the contrary, they are near-”perfect” with usually being so kind, sensitive, caring, etc. The only real flaw many of them have is usually being (extremely) dense, yet that only makes the girls want him more and try harder to get his attention.

Development with such main characters, while cute at times, still doesn’t feel believable and/or relatable because they tend to always look so good together. It’s really just a way to give a bit of eye-candy to female viewers in a primarily male audience for such harem(-like/-style) anime.

• September 23, 2012 at 3:05 amMixed Milkshake

If you paid attention near the end, you’ll notice two characters you have not seen before. One of them is a young girl in a room wearing traditional Japanese clothing, the other is on a bus carrying a fruits basket. (Well strictly speaking everyone should have already seen the second girl…) Both will play important roles in the second season.
    Haruyuki’s harem grows…

• September 24, 2012 at 7:42 amCherrie

I actually DID pick that up =O
      But I didn’t want to cap them because I couldn’t recognize who they were… people are saying Ash Roller so that’s my guess for one of the girls =)

• September 23, 2012 at 3:37 amboingman

That flying nekkid Haru surrounded by Raker and KYH. What the hell? :D

Considering how much I hated Noumi, he got away too lightly in my book. Since he turned into some shota moe chara, the gang should have put him in girls clothes and started bullying him every single day. ;) Though it was very pleasant seeing him crawling on the floor like the bug that he is.
    On the plus side, it was good to see that the guy that had hit Haru in an earlier episode apologized to Haru.
    Overall I enjoyed the anime enough I guess, even with that horrible Noumi arc, so I’d welcome a 2nd season. Animationwise it certainly was a job well done by Sunrise.

• September 23, 2012 at 3:47 amD-LaN

I dunno which is more WTFLOLDIDTHEYJUSTDIDTHT….

-Furious Jealous Megumi
    -Cherub Haru
    -Moe moe Noumi (D:)

Now I can finally marathon the series. I don mind a S2 but I hope it comes out after I done with F/Z and Jormungand lol.

• September 23, 2012 at 4:03 amTerrorhunt

All that I can say is that I’m rather happy with this finale more than what I anticipated. I was actually hope for something worst for Noumi, but doesn’t matter now as I’m very please to see how he met his end. Can’t remember when was the last time I had the most satisfying smile on my face.

I wouldn’t waiting for a year or 2, as long as we get season 2. Come on, Sunrise. You have to be a real idiot for not making that happen.

PS: Anyone else notice how “evil” Megumi looks when Haru arrive to see our beloved Kuroyukihime?

• September 23, 2012 at 5:30 amoutcast

Memory loss is weird. At any point if any of them lost all their points they will have their memories removed. But how does that specifically work. It doesn’t. To what degree should the memories be removed. Only the ingame ones?
    The real life when talking about the game?
    The interactions with other brainbursters?
    Being in class with other brainbursters?

It just doesn’t work without losing vital memories.

• September 23, 2012 at 7:17 amjrj

it kind of work like this, all memory associated with the game are wiped (yes, the RL memory associate with the game are also wiped), but even this game can’t detect ALL related memory, so for instance that Noumi can vaguely remember who Haru is and that they were playing a game together, but couldn’t remember anything else about the whole incident.

and there is definitely more to it than this, but since the LN haven’t reveal how this works, we can only speculate…

• September 23, 2012 at 5:32 amSwordhack4

Fuck the hell yes….All I gotta say is I felt no sympathy for Noumi, bitch got what he deserved….but I just don’t get why he had to “convert” if you know what I mean, after losing Brain Burst.

I spotted 1 or 2 characters that weren’t introduced until just now in this epilogue. Something tells me their gonna pull a Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka type of ending cliffhanger on us. They introduce a new character or 2 then have another season fully introducing them.

I think Accel World is set out to do that too. I wouldn’t mind a season 2 either. But I’m not gonna go crazy with it because some people want other seasons when a series ended off on such a great note that another season would just ruin it -_-

• September 23, 2012 at 11:56 amHalfDemonInuyasha

He didn’t “convert”, he just lost his memory of the whole thing since he first got it as that’s what Brain Burst does to the user if it gets uninstalled, whether forcibly or willingly. So the person themself is pretty much “reset”, so in his mind (barring any sort of Megumi-style moments), none of the torment at the hands of his brother ever happened (and his brother also wouldn’t remember doing any of it to Noumi), so he was “never” traumatized or influenced by it or by the temptation of power Brain Burst gave him in real life, so he never ended up going down the dark path he did.

Basically, this is how Noumi always was before he got involved with Brain Burst and Accel World.

• September 23, 2012 at 8:46 pmSwordhack4

When I said convert I didn’t mean the change in personality. I meant him turning kinda gay, but I tried to keep it as clean as possible so I don’t offend anybody…

• September 23, 2012 at 5:38 amSwordhack4

Well it looks like Noumi just got
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)
    …disconnected
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHH!!!!

I had to!!!! XDDD

• September 23, 2012 at 6:10 amVlox

I couldn’t help staring at his chest every time it was shown, thinking about the significance/symbolism of Noumi etching part of the character for man into him, since speaking or a rice farm doesn’t make sense.

• September 23, 2012 at 7:13 amjrj

Cherrie, thanks a lot of for the post to completion! I loved reading all of them… even though I tend to get ahead of myself and might spoil stuff xD

the final was satisfying in the sense that Noumi is finally taken care of… I have to say that he felt even more annoying in the anime than in the LN (should give credit to anime staff?) Chiyu, on the other hand, received more bashing than I have imagined… but I guess that is intentional too… (the LN did the same thing). Now that her time reversal ability is finally revealed, it will be awesome to see her in action in season 2! (and no, she can’t revert an avatar’s level)

As Mixed Milkshake mentioned above, the new characters introduced at the end are going to be significant in the new arcs… and don’t forget about chrome disaster… things are far from over in this series! now I just need to see a season 2 confirmed message…

• September 24, 2012 at 7:49 amCherrie

Thank you! And thanks again for always answering comments/questions when I couldn’t =X I enjoyed it from a non-LN-reader’s standpoint. I almost never read LN or mangas so when I watch an anime as it is, I guess I have a different opinion of the story. Glad to know that they adapted this well and I’ll catch you later if there’s a S2 =)

• September 24, 2012 at 8:23 amjrj

it is all good :) I knew you weren’t reading the LN, so it is actually really good thing to have a person with no prior opinion on a show to express rather objective opinion xD and I enjoy doing constructive discussion here, so it works out perfectly :) and of course I will continue to support once we get a season 2! Good luck with everything from RL to the life as RC writer xD

• September 23, 2012 at 8:07 amAzureDivinity

The guy behind this and SAO is a genius! Looking forward to its next season in a year to come.
    PS: Congrats Cherrie on finishing your first 2-cour show on RandomC ^^

• September 23, 2012 at 8:14 amSuperSpoiler

Who was the redhead in the dojo/shrine as they went through the characters at the end?

• September 23, 2012 at 9:44 amOlives

Why couldn’t she just use the ability on Haru and go back to a time before his ability was stolen? /ughh…

• September 23, 2012 at 4:20 pmEl Huesudo II

Probably because the system wouldn’t allow duplicated abilities, so the time reversion had to be applied to the one holding the ability at the time (Noumi).

• September 23, 2012 at 11:11 amFrontier

Accel World ends on a high note with an awesome and satisfying final fight between Silver Crow and Dust Taker.

Silver Crow regaining his wings and then piercing through Dust Taker was almost… therapeutic I think. I question why Silver Crow’s mask had to open up for him to do it, but that little quibble doesn’t belie how awesome the scene was. Whatever rage I may have had against Noumi, that did not ruin my enjoyment of the show, went away immediately when Silver Crow killed him like the pathetic human being that he was.

But all things considered, Haruyuki ultimately saved Noumi by killing “Dust Taker.” Getting a glimpse at what Noumi was like before Brain Burst, I now see how much his brother and the game ruined him and changed him into the power-hungry maniac that we knew him as. It just goes to show how the Accelerated World can create entirely new personas for those who use it and become dependent on it to the point where the original real world self of the person ceases to exist. For the King’s it appears to be especially true, as I think we only get to see the true Kuryoukhime and Niko when they’re interacting with Haruyuki but I’m sure it’s a fine line.

So Chiyu manages to help save the day, and to be honest, considering how thorough Noumi was at the beginning, I doubt I’d take my chances with him either. So I can forgive some of her actions in the past few episodes, even if the whole undressing for Haru thing was more of just her desire for him than actually helping, but she came through in the end and I think that’s what counts. And now she’s officially joined Nega Nebulous, putting the team at a great advantage against the other Legions and giving her a chance to get closer to and help mend the relationship with her childhood friends. Wait… now she’s working with her ex who wants nothing more than to be with her again, the boy who she actually wants to be her boyfriend, and the girl who she’s rivals with for said boys affection. I think joining Nega Nebulous just might make things more complicated! Interesting, but complicated.

I found it hilarious when Megumi realized that, in the grand scheme of things, Haruyuki is much more important to her beloved Hime. And after all those yuri moments from the Okinawan arc! I’m not complaining, especially since I love the interactions between the main couple. Haruyuki is utterly devoted to Kuryoukhime, and in her own way Kuryoukhime is the same to him. Without Haruyuki, I’d think Kuryoukhime would give up on the game and life in general, since he’s the one who got her to come back and gave her something special to look forward to everyday in the real life she once abandoned. And even if Haruyuki’s request didn’t carry the exact connotation Kuryoukhime expected, I very much believe her words did.

Along with Lime Bell, Nega Nebulous now has a 5′th member in Sky Raker. I’m glad Haruyuki was able to help Kuryoukhime and Fuuko restore their friendship by acting as an instigator of sorts. It definitely did wonders for the two emotionally. And with a level 8, nega Nebulous is well on their way to finally challenging the Kings. Of course, it could be a double-edged sword of sorts, especially if Fuuko officially joins Haruyuki’s harem…

In terms of importance to Kuryoukhime I think it goes Megumi -> Fuuko -> Haruyuki. Poor Megumi… I can’t help but think she’s the only one of the three who doesn’t know Kuryoukhime’s actual name. Speaking of which, Fuuko’s nickname for her is probably the closest we’ll ever get to knowing it either, though I can’t help but notice the correlation to the nickname, Sacchan, with Kuryoukhime’s voice actress Sachika Misawa.

I think Haruyuki’s speech at the end perfectly encapsulated the main message of the show along with Silver Crow’s development and what he’s done for the rest of the cast. Silver Crow has helped both himself and others to move on, or accelerate, from their issues and insecurities and to become overall better and stronger people. Like the bird that Haruyuki took inspiration from, he’s worked to soar above his limits and doubts and all throughout the series has helped his friends and even his enemies do the same.

So in the end Haruyuki’s harem came down to just three people: Kuryoukhime, Niko, and Chiyu. But there were many potentials members introduced throughout the show, including the new characters glimpsed at during the ending.

The only fault I can find with this finale is that Ash Roller wasn’t in it… or was he?

All in all a very satisfying end to a very entertaining and enjoyable series. Of course, there are still some lingering plot threads with Chrome Disaster and the Acceleration Research Group, and as such I am very much hoping for a second season. I think there’s a good chance for the show having one, so I’ll be optimistic for the future of Accel World. And Cherrie, congratulations and kudos to you first blogging of a 2-course show! If there is a season 2, which I’m quite hopeful for, I’ll be looking forward to your coverage of that. Though there are the OVA’s coming out, so you could cover those if you wanted to.

• September 23, 2012 at 11:37 amsolarasreign

FUKO-CHAN JUST CALLED KUROYUKIHIME SA-CHAN. OMFG. Did anyone caught this?
    Also my Yuri Googles exploded at that finale. DAT SCENE. DAT LINE. “I NEED YOU”.
    Best finale ever. Nice job AW. Looking forward the next season.

• September 23, 2012 at 11:38 amacolyte

Geh.. Finally it ended.. I watched ep16-24 in marathon because I really hated the cliffhangers in the Noumi arc.
    I think the worst part of it is, it could be much much worse. Unlike SAO which has happy/light tones all over, this one has sadder/rage tones..

I too am optimistic for a second season. Looking forward to it and hopefully it’s much happier o.o (Though I agree we could use some rage once in a while)
    Congratulations for your first 2-cour show~

• September 23, 2012 at 11:53 amRockmanshii

I think the show wrapped up pretty nicely. About Chiyu, I never really liked her (not that I hate her, she’s my least favorite character), so her “betrayal” didn’t affect me much. I think her plan was pretty clever, I was thinking her reasons would be something much more stupid plot wise. I was really surprised that she came up with this plan, just like Haru. And now Sky Raker and Kuroyuki senpai are together again! Yaaaaay!! I was waiting for this. That scene was touching.

Back when AW started, I only wanted to watch it because I like Haru’s character design, (he reminds me of Sarutobi from Sasuga no Sarutobi) and also because I’m a fan of SAO. Now that it’s over, I like it way more than SAO. It would be awesome if Kawahara san decided to use all of the earnings from SAO’s anime to make more seasons of AW instead. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have this kind of authority over his adaptations though.

Thanks Cherrie for covering.

• September 23, 2012 at 11:59 amhwighting

sky raker is so hot irl.

• September 23, 2012 at 12:49 pmSaturo

Hate me if you want but I fear I will never get used to Haru as protagonist. Somehow he’s just too whiny and unhandsome, still he gets the hottest chick(s) in town. I can’t watch Haruyuki x Kuryoukhime without feeling kind of awkward. They have no chemistry whatsoever imho.
    Best nerd in an anime = still Keima Katsuragi :B
    BUT = Accel World is still a good anime. Enjoyed it.

• September 23, 2012 at 1:08 pmZeru

I’m surprised you didn’t go over Sky Raker rejoining Nega Nebulas and their RL reunion, I felt it was probably the best scene possible to end this season on.

• September 23, 2012 at 2:20 pmjrj

well… she didn’t “officially” rejoin yet… since Sky Raker’s leg is still like that… but the RL reunion is indeed very nice :)

• September 24, 2012 at 8:06 amCherrie

I did find it touching… but not the focal point of the episode. It was a great final scene I agree and it leads to much bigger things in S2 (if they announce one). In all honesty, I was very tired at 3am when I wrote this post and that’s why I could not touch on every pivotal shot. I did not want to drag out my post for another 1000 words lol
      But I mean, if people rather read longer posts, then I might do that for KC’s last episode…

• September 23, 2012 at 1:37 pmBenz

The thing about Nomi is all he got as a punishment is memory loss but that does not change who he is inside or his attitude, I can almost bet he still the spoil rotten bastard that he is, it just now he can’t use BB as a tool for being an ass, But he can still be just as much of an ass as before in some other way. Thats why overall I am just not satisfied with his punishment, he just need more suffering like a few broken bones, kick out of school( which should be a given since he cheated to get enrolled in the first place) and get beaten in a sword fight against taku in front of everyone this time fair and square.

Some of you might think is harsh, but I just don’t believe he deserve to stay in a school he cheated to get in, and the honor of winning a fight that he cheated. So yea he got his memory lost but he still need to repay these things being memory lost or not, this is like saying I rob a bank and during the time of my escape I crash my car hit my head and memory lost, so now am I allow to keep all the money I rob and a get out of jailfree card just for not remembering what I did before, no right so in the end I still have to give back the money I rob. Same cases here he did not enrolled in the school fairly so why shouldn’t he be kick out memory lost or not.

• September 23, 2012 at 2:22 pmjrj

I see your case, but remember, BIC dissolved… so there is no way to prove that Noumi cheated on his exams or that he cheated during the kendo match… so how do you punish someone when 1. you can’t prove he cheated, 2. you can’t show the whole brain burst related stuff to general public, 3. the person himself doesn’t even remember?

I think this is a fitting punishment, since Noumi is “saved” by his memory loss after all…

• September 23, 2012 at 3:18 pmFrontier

To look at it one way, the Noumi that Nega Nebulous had to deal with wasn’t necessarily the real Noumi. He was Dust Taker, the persona that resulted from Noumi’s excessive use of Brain Burst and his brothers constant torment that took over his whole being and . The real Noumi only came back when Silver Crow effectively “killed” Dust Taker and erased all the horrible memories that changed him.

In no way does this justify what Noumi has done, but it does show that his situation isn’t just one of clear cut villainy. His life was messed up and he was given a power that messed it up even more, creating Dust Taker.

• September 23, 2012 at 2:48 pmthenewhorde

the screencap with the distorted background for the use of animation with Sky Raker and Kuroyukihime is surreal. epically awesomely surreal.

• September 23, 2012 at 4:41 pmtendo

The only reason the ending did not suck was because Sky Raker showed up.
    Gee, there should be an Accel world Alternative anime where Sky Raker and Hime change roles so we see more of her.
    This anime like many others have the potential to be very very long like one piece.
    anime series feel too short in general for me.
    And I have no clue why the pacing in short series (let’s call short series anime with less than 100 episodes which is most of them) is always slow in the first episodes as if the anime is going to have hundreds of episodes and then somehow in the last episode(s) time accelerates (like in accel world) in the ending (ending being too fast).

• September 23, 2012 at 5:04 pmShadow74

Hello Cherrie-sama, of course I like your first 2-cour series. Your posts were great and I hope to see more in the next season, I hope you publish another series to appear in the fall season.

Accel World was great, I will miss to Kuroyuki and Haru, is a very special couple. Mostly will miss their avatars and fighting in accel world. I now wish to give us an official notice of the second season, I want to see more of Silver Crow, Black Lotus, Ash roller, Scarlet Rain and Blood leopard, Sky reaker and all Nega nebulous, Crimson kingbolt and their sirens students, are all great avatars XD.

• September 24, 2012 at 8:15 amCherrie

Thanks for all your support =) I’m going to miss AW too… I grew pretty attached to blogging it every weekend =P

• September 23, 2012 at 5:17 pmJinshi

Personally I did not like this series, was very harem for me.

• September 23, 2012 at 5:57 pmasus

Hope Haru grows a pair for the next season. Also maybe Taku will stop getting his ass kicked all the time too

• September 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm†Croos†

WHY?! WHY DID NOUMI HAVE TO DIE?!
    HE WAS THE BEST CHARACTER in the SERIES!!
    WHY ACCEL WORLD?! WHY?!
    I made a homage of him as a remembrance T_T

• September 23, 2012 at 8:47 pmFiShar

He didn’t die, he’s trying to be birdman in the dojo.

• September 23, 2012 at 8:53 pmD-LaN

U sure u r not trolling?? (^.^;) Ppl say otherwise.

• September 23, 2012 at 8:40 pmGoddo

what do you mean by die ?
    he still alive just lost his memories about Brain Burst world
    btw that a nice GIF

• September 24, 2012 at 1:32 amMixed Milkshake

Some troll just went across and disliked every single comment. Who ever it was, please die like Noumi.

• September 24, 2012 at 8:21 amjrj

don’t bother with the ratings… haters is going to hate… as long as we like the show and have positive things to say, that is all it matters :)

• September 24, 2012 at 6:39 amedo

But why chiy helped noumi the first time? she hadn’t got a plan ..

• September 24, 2012 at 9:52 amjrj

how would Chiyu gain Noumi’s trust to raise her level so she can get Haru’s wing back if she doesn’t heal Noumi the first time around? this episode explained it all…

• September 24, 2012 at 8:26 pmedo

But the first time chiyu didn’t know that healing noumi would return the wings,she just helped him because she wanted/was forced and then she discovered the truth… right? So she did betray her friends …

• September 25, 2012 at 7:59 amjrj

well, chiyu has been questioning why she is given the power to “heal” ever since she used it on Haru when she first battled… and she must have figured it out before the first Noumi battle… the LN hinted more on this slightly than the anime did… but then again, anime dropped more visual hints at her power…

• September 24, 2012 at 9:47 amKinny Riddle

(Good thing I copied and pasted this on a notepad prior to RC crashing last night)

F*** yeah, seeing Noumi squirm in misery and begging for mercy which was ruthlessly denied prior to his “execution” has got to be the most satisfying 5 minutes of my anime watching ever. lol

I know he loses his memory as a result, but dammit, Kawahara Reki, must you make him so “un-hateable” to the point he’s attempting to look “moe”? Still, I agree Haru is doing Noumi a favour by exorcising/expunging the evil within him completely.

This means poor Megumi must also had lost all her BL points before and could only subconsciously remember being in a “different world”. Compared to the rather sadistic Kayaba of SAO, the Accel World developer is rather quite generous in allowing kids who lose their BL points the mercy of a memory wipe.

Chiyu’s machinations more or less redeemed her somewhat, but perhaps Kawahara overdid it as her character was previously set to a more klutzy nature, making it somewhat difficult to believe she could have planned so far ahead in double-crossing Noumi at the crucial moment with her Bleach Orihime-like time-reversing ability.

BTW, this last episode is so much more viewable with Kuroyukihime back and blushing to boot. I died from moe-overdose.

Besides KYH looking cute, there’s also quite an endless supply of suggested KYH yuri-shipping:

First there’s Megumi going yandere upon Haru interfering between her and KYH’s “quality time”. XD

Then, of course, there’s Fuuko (Raker) and KYH’s tearful embrace after KYH declaring that she “needs” Fuuko. (Cue epic game ending-like BGM. )

I shall certainly look forward to a second season, and I look forward to Cherrie covering that on RC as well.

• September 24, 2012 at 9:42 pmD-LaN

If you think Kayaba/Noumi is ady a rear end in a top hat, ALO baddie is Lio Shirazumi level worse.

• September 25, 2012 at 8:02 amjrj

there is another possibility that you haven’t considered… a person can willingly uninstall brain burst… although not confirmed whether they lose their memory of brain burst as well… I have a feeling that Megumi uninstalled by herself… the reason being her ability is overpowered, and thus all the big legion will fight over her to death. Given her generally nice personality (except when come to KYH matters), I can see her as someone who would uninstall the program by herself… and maybe that is why she could temporarily return to the game? The LN did mention one healing character who have quit brain burst willingly after all…

• September 24, 2012 at 9:49 amKinny Riddle

• September 24, 2012 at 8:14 pmLegacy

lol..True story..how come i didn’t notice that XD

• September 24, 2012 at 8:16 pmLegacy

Nice and satisfying Ending..can’t ask for more from a 2 core series..here in hopes for a continuation in the future..and Thanks for Blogging this awesome show Cherrie (^_^)

• September 25, 2012 at 7:27 pmsealouse

So does Sky Raker get her legs back?

Spoiler just in case

• September 25, 2012 at 8:03 pmjrj

it is not that simple…

• September 29, 2012 at 10:14 amjreding

I watched this series mainly for Kuroyukihime fanservice and I wasn’t disappointed. On the contrary, Chiyuri, Yuniko turned out to be sweet characters, as well. The Okinawa girls were cute. And I don’t mind Haruyuki being fat at all. I think’s it’s something different from the usual bland average male lead. Kuroyukihime falling in love with him out of the blue was somewhat hard to believe for me, though.

I didn’t watch the series for the fighting so the second half was less interesting for me than the first one. The creators also pulled a lot of cards out of their a… But like you, Cherrie, Noumi’s end put a smile on my face. He was more sadistic than the average antagonist and his end was more gory than I had expected. Black Vice was a really cool antagonist, in any case!

Thanks for blogging this series, Cherrie!

• September 29, 2012 at 8:40 pmStevel

The date release for season 2 of Accel World is rumored by the end of Sword Art Online, Which currently is on Episode 13 of there 25 episode long season meaning 12 episodes to 12 weeks which would be the end of December to the beginning of January, which wont release spring but most likely summer or fall so i have high hopes that Accel World would probably release next October like Mixed milkshake stated.

• October 3, 2012 at 12:10 pmgwyllgi

can anyone kindly explain to me how kuroyukihime pulled it off in saving harus’ reputation???……

• October 4, 2012 at 3:21 pmItachizame

any chance youre gonna blog the Ova ep that came out recently, Cherrie?

• October 19, 2012 at 11:09 pmsilver crow

Man i’m tired of waiting i hope that season 2 would be as good as season 1

• November 15, 2012 at 3:28 amHaruhime

aw… so many ppl commented negative comments on AW cant we just forget all those things like haru was a chubby and noumi was idiot at the end or chiyu was a slut… tats bad :) someone made an anime by hardworking and u all cant just support it without negative comments?
    i love kuroyukihime so mch ^^ she’s hot,pretty and gentle ^-^ so i hope for season 2 as soon as possible :)

• December 23, 2012 at 7:53 pmaiz

” the ending is satisfying enough to leave me with a happy ending so I’m not craving a second season.”
    “There is a deep underlying story that is waiting to be unfolded and there’s a lot of potential which I would love to see in a second season.”
    haha So which one is it?

• February 5, 2013 at 7:09 amMasterChiefX101

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS. CONFIRMATION WILL BE GIVEN ON FEB. 17 2013 AT THE SAO/ACCEL WORLD CROSSOVER(JUST THE CAST MEETING TO TALK ABOUT STUFF SUPPOSEDLY).

• February 5, 2013 at 7:11 amMasterChiefX101

• February 8, 2013 at 3:29 pmpenguins69me

so they are making a season2?????

• February 8, 2013 at 3:36 pmDa5id