Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai – 03
「異端なる…双尾娘(ツインテール)」 (Itan Naru … Sou o Musume (Tsuinteru))
“The Twin Tails…of Heresy”
I think the thing I’m enjoying the most about Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! is the way they introduce characters and push the story forward in ways that by all rights should be too abrupt, uninspired, or even downright lazy to work…and yet here they do. Did that sound like a compliment? Because it was! Well, perhaps I’d better explain.
One really funny part was when sempai suddenly appeared next to Yuuta when he and Rikka were canvassing for members. By all rights that should have been too much of an abrupt ass pull (trope!) to work, but since sempai proved herself to be such a random, go-with-the-flow kind of character last episode, her sudden appearance became really funny. Part of this is because of good execution, of course – one thing that TV and movies do well is abrupt or unexpected jokes/events, because they control the time rather than us viewer (i.e. there are no pages to turn, and an episode is generally consumed in one sitting). Still, this would never have worked had they tried it with someone like Nibutani, since she hasn’t been established as being random like Kumin-sempai, so well done KyoAni.
Another example was the introduction of Dekomori Sanae (Uesaka Sumire). I really like how they did this. It’s only natural that Rikka would have a friend or two, right? Well, considering how she is it wouldn’t have been surprising if she didn’t, but even chuunibyou can make friends sometimes! Really, introducing a character by having them be an existing but previously unmentioned friend almost feels like another ass pull, but it works because it’s such an understandable situation – we all have friends that haven’t met some of our other friends, after all. This was a nice way to quickly work Dekomori into the story without almost any lead up, and all while having it make complete sense. For such an easy (and almost lazy) tactic, it’s practically foolproof. More shows should probably make use of this.
There are more examples of my point in this episode, but I should probably talk more about the episode in general instead of spending the whole post on another storytelling diatribe. Since I already brought up Dekomori, I’ll start there. This was my initial reaction to her: “Yay, another cute girl for Yuuta to abuse! …wait. That doesn’t sound good.” :X But my own (not-so-secret) S side aside, since I’ve been enjoying watching Rikka play the boke to Yuuta’s tsukkomi, it’s no surprise that Baka Dekomori was going to make me laugh. And I’m glad she’s got that trait, because I would have been dissatisfied had she just been another chuunibyou. I kind of preferred it when Rikka was the only one, when it was all her acting weird while Yuuta (who secretly understood) alternated between sighing and shuddering at memories of his younger self. It’s working so far though, even if the delusion battle didn’t have as much punch this time. That’s not necessarily KyoAni’s fault though. It was inevitable. I enjoyed the first one so much because I just slightly suspected that it might be a real fight, but with no chance of that happening here the scene was diminished. I hope they don’t overuse that schtick before they think up another way to make it fresh.
Rikka was no slacker this episode though, throwing out plenty of cute moments and taking plenty of cute abuse as well. (S! Stilts is an S because he likes watching Rikka get abused!) Her slide tackles were great, as was her adorable cheergirl failure (and her keeping the uniform on afterwards, ufufu~), but easily the best moment was her indirect kiss with Yuuta. Ohhhh man Yuuta, you fell right into that! You’re letting your inner feelings show. Better watch out!
The one part I don’t get is why Nibutani decided to join the “Oriental Magick Napping Society in Summer” (say that three times fast…just not in public, or people might start talking). Maybe she just wanted friends? Or she could also be a closet / former chuunibyou. Or, perhaps it’s Yuuta she’s interested in…oh ho ho!
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Random napping sempai & baka chuunibyou kouhai join Rikka & Yuuta in forming a club…& also Nibutani?? I like where this is going! #chu2koi
- Notice how Dekomori was using “death” instead of “desu”? GETTING KYOUKAISEN FLASHBACKS SO HARD!! …and I like it :D
- I love that title, “The Twin Tails…of Heresy.” Would it be plagerism if I name my next book that? Hmmm…
- I enjoyed how Yuuta protested so much about Rikka’s plan…and then quietly went along with her and helped anyway. Once again sir, your actions do not match your tsundere nature. You’re not fooling anyone!
- How could anyone not want to join her club? I know I want to take a nap with Kumin-sempai, ufufu~
- My reaction to the cheergirl scene: “Oh man, Nibutani is so kawaii…and wait, RIKKA FROM WHERE!? That girl is like a highly delusional ninja.
- The dark side of twintails! I’d better go re-write that post…
- Dekomori…really is a baka, lol. Putting her on the same level as a cat is probably accurate, sadly. And funny! XD
- I enjoyed how Yuuta spent the entire episode standing in the back and sighing. Life is hard, isn’t it Yuuta? Not that it’s going to get easier. Hang in there man.
- Completely exposed! Way to go, Nanachan-sensei. She’s yet another character that has quickly gone up in my esteem, though like no one else aside from the reliable imouto, for her it’s because she’s actually smart. Le gasp!
- I like his attitude, but keion-bu gets you girls? Sorry bud, but that only works if you’re Azu-nyan.
- A quick note, in case you weren’t aware: KyoAni is releasing “lite” episodes of chu2koi every week. The next one usually releases about a day or so after the episode airs, so if you’re reading this then chances are the next lite episode is either already out or about to be. They’re short, ~5 minute affairs, and so far have been mostly about someone (i.e. Rikka or younger Yuuta) being super delusional. My suggestion is to save the lite episodes for about mid-week, when you’re totally hurting for some chu2koi and need a little snack to tide you over. Or, OR, you could always come back here and re-read my post / read all the comments. Up to you!
- Sometimes I jot down quick impressions during an episode I’m going to blog, and I’ve noticed that my notes for this show have a lot of :3, <3, and XD marks in them. I feel this can only be a good sign.