Robotics;Notes – 15 »« Robotics;Notes – 13

Robotics Notes   14   19 Robotics Notes   14   20 Robotics Notes   14   21
Robotics Notes   14   22 Robotics Notes   14   23 Robotics Notes   14   24
Robotics Notes   14   25 Robotics Notes   14   26 Robotics Notes   14   27
Robotics Notes   14   28 Robotics Notes   14   29 Robotics Notes   14   30
Robotics Notes   14   31 Robotics Notes   14   32 Robotics Notes   14   33
Robotics Notes   14   34 Robotics Notes   14   35 Robotics Notes   14   36

「少しだけこのままで…」 (Sukoshi dake Kono Mama de…)
“Just Stay a Little Longer Like This…”

I present to you, a Frau/Kona centric episode… with a full collection of her many different facial expressions. Including the perverted one.

Before I dive into my thoughts on Kona and her tragic past, I feel obligated to mention all the other “stuff” that was going on in the episode. Yes, there was a lot happening elsewhere. This includes the massive gang of robots attacking the government (which was officially titled Project Mars as mentioned in previous episodes) as well as our little dialogue between Misa and her boss. While their motive is still unknown, I used to think that they were the masterminds behind the solar flares and the Committee of 300. This episode revealed that although they do have a strong grasp of the history (Kimijima Kou’s murder and Project Mars), they also don’t understand the full message behind the last episode Gunvarrel or Kona’s mother’s intentions. It makes me curious as to who the target audience was for Gunvarrel – was it the general public? To make them more aware of the Committee of 300? Obviously that would make sense why the Committee would want it hidden, but why Kona’s mother? Probably to keep it away from the wrong hands.

A new element of “brainwashing” was introduced this episode which was new to me. I already accepted the fact that Kai and Aki suffer from “elephant-mouse-syndrome“, but brainwashing is something entirely different. Maguyan (Ueda Yuji) was a prime example of this and although he was short-lived character, perhaps it’ll lead to another generation of brainwashed people.

For all those that have been waiting, the main focus of this episode is finally on our dear Frau. Her mother went missing (wanted for murder); she lives alone and is framed for programming robots in Tokyo to attack the government. That would make me suicidal, if not – severely depressed. That’s where Kai comes in and saves the day! Well partially… the other part was having a kind heart to listen to Frau. I’m not someone that can relate to all the issues she’s dealing with, but I can empathize that she’s looking for company, and she misses her mother. She’s gone through all this trouble just to stay connected to her mother and what abandoned child wouldn’t do that? Even adults these days cling onto items or ideas that remind them of someone they miss and that’s something that I can say from personal experiences. What’s worse is not knowing when or if you’ll ever see that person again and to Frau, I think this is a way of calling her mother back to her. Whether or not her mother is alive, is a different matter.

If Robotics;Notes were to have an alternative ending, I would want Frau and Kai to end up together. I don’t see her as a third wheel (to Aki), since I see her as an alternative route that can be explored. I see a solid story between her and Kai and it’s an interesting chemistry mix that doesn’t usually work for me, but in this case, I was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out. I still think that the best friend will win, but it’s nice to see other options hinted at and I totally support that. Frau’s story is not completely finished so I expect great things from her going forward (and especially her mother’s whereabouts).

Full-length images: 01, 10, 13, 22, 27, 35.

January 26, 2013 at 10:04 am
  • January 26, 2013 at 10:07 amjrj

Frau has totally stolen the show… GJ!
    thanks for the coverage as always :)

• January 26, 2013 at 10:17 amMiep :3

10/10
    I’m for Kai X Kona (°^°)

• January 26, 2013 at 11:06 amvrr4141

Duhuhu…

• January 26, 2013 at 3:14 pmeharper256

I’m guessing that she does have a route in the game.

Shame we most likely won’t see a fanlation unlike Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head, since making a translation of a PS3/X360 title is a no-no.

• January 26, 2013 at 3:35 pmhaseo0408

At the begining I was ok with KaixAki but then I watched this episode and said: “You know what? Screw it! KaixFrau forever!. Duhuhu…

• January 26, 2013 at 7:38 pmSortedevaras

You should’ve said, “of course it’s for your sake!” … stupid Kaito.

• January 26, 2013 at 10:45 amMegas

Only Kona would nearly die in a tub from being malnourished, not even being able to knife herself. Nice Kona, Very nice.

• January 26, 2013 at 10:54 amvrr4141

Aki chan ganbare!

• January 26, 2013 at 10:59 amqwert

Do you think Subaru carries that costume with him at all times or just wears it under his school uniform like super man?

• January 26, 2013 at 11:26 amWrenleos

• January 26, 2013 at 11:29 amStereoman

I want a Frau figure ;_;

• January 26, 2013 at 12:02 pmewok40k

… or dakimakura…
      “shut up and take all my money” memes inbound!

• January 26, 2013 at 11:29 amJ-Luke

• January 26, 2013 at 12:01 pmewok40k

Kona-chan is AWESOME. Her many faces were brilliant, but were almost overshadowed by aki’s reaction to the newly arrived closeness between Kona and Kai…
    I am not thinking about this show in the terms of romance/shipping – but Kona steals the first kiss!

• January 26, 2013 at 12:06 pmBanana Furikake

Frau just went from Frumpy to Fantastic.

Best episode to date- great story, action, character development- just full of awesome.

• January 26, 2013 at 6:53 pmNoSicko

“Best episode to date.”

Agreed.

• January 27, 2013 at 8:40 amDvalinn

Indeed.

It pretty much solidified Kona as my favourite character of the show as well, and I love the chemistry she and Kai had. Watching them interact is just fun, really. Hoping they end up together, as I don’t care much for him hooking up with his genki childhood friend.

• January 26, 2013 at 2:45 pmRockmanshii

Yeah Misa-nee and her boss apparently aren’t part of the committee of 300. I’m still clinging on my hope that they aren’t such cold persons as they seem. Especially Misa-nee.
    I don’t know if I already said it in my previous comments, but I always found Kona and Junna to be kind of useless. They were there just to make males watch the show. Until episodes 12 and 13 happened, which finally made them more relevant. But now, with this episode, Kona was developed so nicely that in comparison, I think Junna just became useless again. I hope she gets even more screen time too and doesn’t fall behind. Aki-chan too.
    I’m 100% rooting for Kai x Kona.

• January 26, 2013 at 8:42 pmCherrie

I wouldn’t say useless, but they definitely didn’t add much value to the show either… until recently. I would say that Frau has a strong tie to Gunvarrel at the very least (and her mother missing and all…). Junna is kind of random to me still… her grandfather is a great addition but as a character herself, she’s not doing much for me >_< Sorry Junna! You’re still cute!

• January 26, 2013 at 2:53 pmj4c06

So Mars Project was basically hacking some website to make service robots attack a governmental building in Tokyo? Very nostalgic! But for a global conspiracy somewhat underwhelming. And of course they diverted the site authentication to no other game but Kill-Ballad. Grave mistake. This Committee doesn’t seem too serious about their world domination business…

• January 26, 2013 at 7:40 pmSortedevaras

Well do they really have to put much effort in to take over? Those cops just kinda stood there waiting to be murdered by pink robots and did not fire a single bullet.

• January 29, 2013 at 6:44 pmHunterWulf

Murdered !!? the robots couldn’t probably murder anyone (we never saw them do that either), their advance was in fact more symbolic than it is dangerous.. and the cops didn’t fire becasue they knew that and knew if they fired the property damage they will cause will be in millions if not more (all the destroyed robots) .. that’s why they were just trying to slow the robots down until someone can fix their hacked system.

• January 26, 2013 at 3:48 pmkondee

That kiss was sexy. 10/10. How will Aki top this?

…Duhuhu

• January 26, 2013 at 3:57 pminfinite

I agree with you Cherrie about Kai and Frau. They definitely had some nice chemistry in this episode. I knew there was more to Kona then just a crazy girl who fantasized about boys with glasses. I think its pretty♡heart-warming♥that she made kill ballad for her mom and gunvarrel.

• January 26, 2013 at 4:01 pmpaulrenzo

“I still think that the best friend will win,”

It’s about time I think. I don’t remember the last time the best friend / childhood friend won. (unless it’s a girl pairing).

• January 26, 2013 at 8:44 pmCherrie

I’ve always been the “best friend” fan. Or underdog fan. Depends on the show to be honest, but I’m definitely still on the Aki-ship ^^

• January 26, 2013 at 9:36 pmpaulrenzo

I still can’t decide which pairing is best actually, as I like all the female characters so far. I wish they pull of an Amagami on this romance-wise (another anime where I liked all the female characters).

• January 26, 2013 at 4:11 pmFT5.Havok

Anyone still in the KaixAki ship? :/

• January 26, 2013 at 4:31 pmTheMoondoggie

Me, and staying strong.

Duhuhu as much as you all want. Endgame is still Aki’s anyway.

• January 26, 2013 at 4:50 pmbertman4

Anime has taught me that the childhood friend will lose. :P

• January 26, 2013 at 5:01 pmTheMoondoggie

And Kashimashi taught me exceptions exist.

• January 26, 2013 at 9:37 pmpaulrenzo

Don’t forget Love Hina!

• January 27, 2013 at 7:34 amSuppa Tenko

Wasn’t Kashimashi a harem ending?

• January 26, 2013 at 6:01 pmKay

Count me in as third here. I’m hoping that we get to revisit some KaixAki moments sometime soon. We’ve only gotten a few before so maybe we’ll be heading down a different route XD

• January 26, 2013 at 8:44 pmCherrie

Me me me! *raises her hand* =)

• January 26, 2013 at 8:56 pmd-LaN

Another Kai x Aki shipper appears! Can I support two ships simultaneously?

• January 26, 2013 at 5:20 pmc2710

Frau y u so cute in this ep???

• January 26, 2013 at 6:44 pmEduardo

I’ll have to play the visual novel just to see KaixKona

• January 26, 2013 at 7:12 pmcutemi2

It’s More Fun in the Philippines

• January 27, 2013 at 1:31 amhmmm

I see what you did there.

• January 26, 2013 at 9:05 pmAquifina

I actually find the overarching plot downright silly, but I still loved this episode. Another example of how anime really is about emotional connections and character interactions, which can surmount weird and implausible storylines. I personally am still rooting for Aki, especially after her priceless reaction at the end to deredere Frau, BUT boy did Kai and Frau have tremendous chemistry this episode. Heck, they’ve had it for the last two episodes. Kai was able to both avoid the traditional embarrassment of the awkwardly shy anime male lead AND not appear like an over-confident player. Kai is so awesome that it’s nothing but natural for Frau to fall for him, and no one can blame him for leading her on. And Frau is clearly a lot more mature than Aki, who is still like an overgrown kid in so many ways–hence Frau stealing that kiss. But I think Frau in the end a bit *too* mature for Kai.

• January 26, 2013 at 11:31 pmanise_punter

C’mon people, Kai is man enough for the Ken Sugisaki True Harem End(tm), I can’t be the only one rooting for this.

I haven’t played the game though, so I can’t comprehend an ending that could possibly be that awesome*

*For varying definitions of awesomeness; the concept of True Harem End is what counts, the reality of that harem having Akiho and Kona in it is uh… whatever floats your boat there, Kai.

• January 27, 2013 at 12:41 amSeven

Well for one, a harem is 3+. I only count two so far.

And secondly. Who the hell wants harem endings? Not only is it poor story telling it’s out right stupid. lol.

• January 27, 2013 at 7:25 amCrook

Actually, two or more females. In any case, let’s say Jun got some romantic developments and you’d have 3 anyways. I’m not expecting that though.

• January 27, 2013 at 7:53 amSeven

Actually; you’re wrong.

I will not bother explaining why because google can do it for me.

• January 27, 2013 at 5:30 amBernd

Wow. I really do not get how Kai could choose Aki over Kona. Aki is just an overenthusiastic kid…let’s see what they do for her development. Otherwise i am hoping for KaiXKona.

• January 27, 2013 at 6:06 amBadass

hehe Aki reaction just made my day

• January 27, 2013 at 10:23 amSingerOfW

– How should we protect the website from any attempts of regaining control over the robots?
    – Why, by setting up a cheating game AI, of course!
    – GENIUS!

Well if that wasn’t an obvious gameplay cue, I don’t know what is. I’ve heard that R;N had more gameplay than C;H or S;G, but not to such extents.

And that brainwashing technology must be amazingly powerful to make a virgin otaku believe he has children.

• January 28, 2013 at 5:40 amAquifina

The only way I can enjoy this show is to more or less NOT think about the plot. In addition to what you’ve pointed out, the scene of robots about to storm government buildings was just silly. Never mind the JSDF, but I’m sure the Japanese police forces have enough small arms to deal with domestic service robots. Sometimes people don’t realize how hard it is to make something bulletproof–you need real high grade steel, or something like a high-strength ceramic plate. Weight and cost issues would mean that domestic service robots would never use those materials. This is why civilian passenger cars have zero protection from small arms. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if those cops in riot control gear could disable a lot of those robots with strong blows from truncheons. There’s a reason why the Terminator movies centered around a *military* AI going bad, as opposed to our Roombas rising up against humanity. But hey, it was a fun episode, so it’s all good in my view.

• January 29, 2013 at 7:04 pmHunterWulf

They didn’t fire against the robots for two reasons:-
        1-The robots aren’t really capable of harming people or the building they are trying to break into .. their advance towards that governmental building is mostly symbolic and meant to illustrate that the government lost control of things (i.e like demonstration and riots in real life) .. the riot cops knew that very well.

2-Shooting the robots will only cause millions in property damage .. that’s why the government was trying to slow them down with barricades and riot troops with shields .. until someone fixes their hacked system .. shooting them wasn’t an economically viable choice.

When will people learn the robot uprising was only a very small part of the committee’s of 300 plan .. it was never meant to take control of governments nor as a real robot uprising (like in Terminator).. it was just meant to seed chaos and fear in the society .. nothing more.

• January 27, 2013 at 3:23 pmAn_chan

Frau ftw!
    LET
    HER
    WIN!

• January 28, 2013 at 2:34 amCorin

Mmmm. I think this was the first episode of this show that I’ve truly liked in a while. There was actual character development (Junna’s… really didn’t count), a focus on the one character that I don’t feel like I’ve seen done and done better a dozen times before, and absolutely no meandering with pointless busywork for Kimijima Reports.

This episode also actually helps solidify Kai’s character a bit, because heretofore he’s been more of a plot device than a character. Let’s hope they keep this up.

• January 28, 2013 at 7:10 ammike

kakaka exciting ep

• April 15, 2013 at 11:01 amiron2000

Lagging behind in anime…

Pretty nice episode.
    Theres that brainwashing from Chaos;Head.

As I watch and read around, I see the big picture of the Science Adventure Series.

Hopefully I’ll clear off Robotics;Notes by this week.