Magi – 19 »« Magi – 17

Magi   18   25 Magi   18   26 Magi   18   27
Magi   18   28 Magi   18   29 Magi   18   30
Magi   18   31 Magi   18   32 Magi   18   33
Magi   18   34 Magi   18   35 Magi   18   36

「シンドリア王国」 (Shindoria Oukoku)
“The Kingdom of Sindria”

Things were looking well for Alibaba…until the Fir–Kou Empire threatened to attack. With the confidence to openly help out his fellow countrymen to a shining future, Alibaba had a promising future in hand with the new republic. The armada of the Kou Empire would disagree though, especially after all the economic and political pressure they exerted to capture Balbadd at all costs. While the dangers of standing up to the Kou Empire, a much more fearsome opponent than anything in Balbadd, made clear that Alibaba could not stay, it is understandable that he desired to stand ground for his people. However, experience is needed in fine situations such as this, so Sinbad…took matters into his own hands. While Sinbad may have not had the authority or permission to basically abduct Alibaba, even Alibaba himself realizes the wisdom of Sinbad’s decision. In the end, Balbadd may not have earned its full autonomy, yet its fate definitely is far from terrible. Things went for the better, except for the lingering worry of Alibaba’s bite from who we can guess was from Isnan’s snake form…

Though the recent course of action takes us away from witnessing the rebuilding of Balbadd (which I would think would be politically intriguing to watch), in exchange we get to see an even more spectacular entity…the Nation of Sindria. With blossoming trade, a happy populace, security, diversity and above all else the most badass arrangement of generals the show has seen, Sinbad has done quite a bit with the place in such a short time. For Al-Sarmen to take down and corrupt Sindria would be a massive effort, for one can feel the light rukh brimming within this country. It is only natural that Aladdin and Alibaba cheer up after being gone from Balbadd for so long, with even Morgiana getting back into her training mood with Masrur. With Sinbad’s return, Aladdin and Alibaba get into training themselves into formidable fighters as well under the guidance of master magician Yamraiha (Horie Yui) whose body brings Aladdin much joy, and the master swordsman Sharrkan (Morikubo Showtaro), whose mastery in fish gutting and swordplay make him a perfect mentor for our exiled prince.

Overall, the show did an alright job introducing a new region of the world, at least in isolation. Upon checking the manga (which I rarely do), many details and jokes were breezed over, and the amount of detail that the manga put in setting up Sindria puts the episode to shame. For those of you who want a deeper experience of Sindria, I highly recommend checking out chapter 77 and onwards for a more detailed explanation of the situation and Alibaba and Aladdin’s eating problems (plus more explanation of what the Kou Empire’s true plans for Balbadd were).

Despite the alright job with introducing Sindria, the drawing quality for this episode was terrible. Absolutely terrible. Those of you who were looking forward to Morgiana’s dance…will be sorely disappointed. Indeed Alibaba spoke the truth when he said, “What kind of dance is that?” Granted, the two mini-action scenes this episode were done fairly well, but the failures in even simplistic secondary drawings and some of the primary facial drawings definitely detracted from the episode. The scripting also suffered some hits as well with some awkward transitions and unneeded pauses during conversation drawing away from what’s supposed to be a lovely recuperation from the previous episodes. This is a saddening trend within the series…showing a significant lack in the animation budget. Hopefully such scenes get fixed in the DVD/BD releases, especially to do justice to poor Morgiana…

At this rate, according to how the manga is laid out, this may be the last arc to be fully realized, if not without some introduction into the next longer arc. Next week, it looks like some ambitious Kou royal members are coming to say hello to Sinbad, though for entirely different reasons. Oh Sinbad…you must have a reason for refusing to hit on this otherwise lovely princess…

February 11, 2013 at 10:04 pm
  • February 11, 2013 at 10:13 pmVermillion

Dammit, what did they do to this episode Q_Q

• February 12, 2013 at 12:14 amDerp

No fat Aliballdin?

• February 12, 2013 at 2:56 amIchijou Raku

this is dissapointing. i was looking forward for a fat alladin and alibaba too *sighs* : \

• February 12, 2013 at 4:23 pmNaYa

Same here, Ichijou. :(

• February 13, 2013 at 1:04 pmAlec

Was looking forward to it as well

• February 13, 2013 at 11:36 pmAlec

@Ichijou Raku

I was already laughing (thinking about the manga) as Sinbad was heading back to his place to meet the duo. When I realized the duo still looks the same…………..

• February 12, 2013 at 6:51 pmSilver

Yeah it was a horrible feeling. The first thing I did when I got the episode was forward to that part looking for fat Aladdin and Alibaba…

• February 13, 2013 at 5:08 pmImpetusZwei

I thought I was the only one thinking that maybe I remembered where they got fat wrongly.. Guess not.

I AM DISAPPOINT.

• February 11, 2013 at 10:15 pmLGrey

I’m afraid my past self jinxed this episode.

Hence the free fall quality.
    T_T

• February 11, 2013 at 10:39 pmZanibas

*pats*

There’s always the DVD/BDs and the inevitable drive of fan artists to correct this terrible wronging!

• February 11, 2013 at 10:45 pmVermillion

You and me both. God, I was so hype for the tribal dance scene.

My heart shatter so hard… hmm.. pun?

• February 11, 2013 at 11:03 pmRoguespirit

Yeah it was so bad it completely overshadowed the fact that Alibaba broke the male lead trope and properly complimented one of the main female characters, several times even!

• February 11, 2013 at 11:19 pmVermillion

Which in the manga, he then comment EVERY dancer there that they are bueatiful and make his comment absolutely hold no meaning and make Morgiana jealous and stomp the ground which turn this back into generic idiot protagonist + ship tease.

Yes, it overshadow everything not to mention we miss another funny moment with Morg creating earthquake.

• February 11, 2013 at 11:20 pmVermillion

oops sorry, not every dancers. EVERY GIRLS.

• February 11, 2013 at 10:18 pmKoroshiyaKi

Oh boy, oh boy, here comes a womans scorn. Sinbad will have some explaining to do.

• February 12, 2013 at 1:00 amAnon

*sighs* automatically blames the guy.I feel bad for Sinbad. :p

• February 12, 2013 at 8:38 amMovieKeeper

Curious to know what Sindbad did (or didn’t do) to make the princess so mad XD

• February 11, 2013 at 10:26 pmKurisu Vi Britannia

Somebody bad just happened and all I want is for it to go away. Q_Q

• February 11, 2013 at 10:34 pmKurisu Vi Britannia

Something* Stupid autocorrect.

• February 11, 2013 at 10:28 pmAnon

Sinbad seems to have a quite a few honorary titles to his name – as pointed out by Masrur.

• February 12, 2013 at 5:35 amVermillion

Consider how he is in every situation that doesn’t involve innocent lives *coughleafundiecough*

I’m pretty sure he racked up quiet a lot of title over his life.

• February 11, 2013 at 10:29 pmDualash

I will have to agree that the animation for the episode was kind of terrible, and scattered. The moray eel filet display was okay, but some of the comedic bits from the manga were stripped off from the anime(like how Alibaba was suppose to “do” something while Sinbad was gone). I also noticed how some of the transitions to their conversations were kind of blocky, though I did like that the Kou emissaries were portrayed.

Its kind of understandable that there could be a number of reasons the episode turned out the way it did, but at least the main message of the episode was still there. Show Spoiler ▼

• February 11, 2013 at 10:39 pmDualash

I also have to add, that Jafar’s question to Sinbad if he did anything to the Kou princess was pretty funny, I loved that hint of situational irony.

• February 11, 2013 at 10:42 pmVermillion

For the one who read the manga.

• February 11, 2013 at 11:00 pmKoroshiyaKi

• February 11, 2013 at 10:50 pmRoguespirit

I was so looking forward to Morgiana’s dance after seeing it in the opening and then hearing about it from the manga readers, only for my heart to be broken by the worst animation I’ve seen all season. I’ve seen amature flash animations better than that. I nearly cried, especially after seeing how great she looked, and she was So cute. So frustrating!

I could talk about everything else but I can’t think of anything that hasn’t already been said, and I’m not ashamed to admit the main reason I was looking forward to this episode.

Still I’m also looking forward to the next, it’s been to long since I’ve heard HanaKana’s angry voice

• February 11, 2013 at 10:51 pmCybersteel

Since Kamisama Dolls?

• February 11, 2013 at 11:06 pmRoguespirit

Maybe, tbh I don’t remember where I heard her “seriously pissed off” voice before but I fell in love with her darker voice, and indeed her voice in general from her role as Kuroneko It’s the role I most associate with her cause it was the first anime where I heard her voice.

• February 11, 2013 at 11:41 pmLGrey

Hanakana going nuts = Binbougami comes to mind. ^^

• February 12, 2013 at 12:35 amR

Raging HanaKana and man-yelling Tomatsu Haruka were two of the best reasons to watch Binbougami ga!

• February 11, 2013 at 11:09 pmR

They skipped so much comedy from the manga, I’m curious if they even realised they were there to help ease the pain of the events prior…

For instance, these scenes:

The Morgiana one in particular would’ve saved how bad her dancing was… maybe. Either way, I’m not entirely sure about this adaptation anymore after the freefall in animation and characterizations. These omissions plus the addition of random original stuff (Alibaba getting bitten by a snake, Alibaba waking up on a boat en route to Sindria) had me scratching my head.

• February 11, 2013 at 11:12 pmR

Woops, forgot to add:
      Honestly cannot wait for this next arc, regardless of my reservations with this adaptation. I prefer Hakuryuu to Alibaba, particularly in the anime because I am not a huge fan of Kaji Yuuki. Bring on the glorious NTR!

• February 11, 2013 at 11:32 pmDualash

I was expecting for those bits to be added. Show Spoiler ▼

• February 11, 2013 at 11:40 pmKoroshiyaKi

I was hoping for that comedic moment too! WHERE DID ALL MY HUMOR GO!?

• February 11, 2013 at 11:20 pmNanashi

Oh man, that Morg dance…where did that budget go? At this rate everything will be stick figures by ep 20

• February 12, 2013 at 12:00 amFT5Havok

I’m not a manga reader so I don’t why most people are angry. This face though saved the episode.
    http://randomc.net/image/Magi/Magi%20-%2018%20-%20Large%2022.jpg xD

• February 12, 2013 at 12:27 amZanibas

Even without the manga as a comparison, the drawing quality this episode was definitely subpar, especially the awaited Morgiana dance (since it seems to be drawn better in the OP).

Manga readers are pretty put off by the fact that they left out some pretty funny stuff. They tried some of the jokes in the original source material, but the punchlines were often omitted.

In summary, it could’ve been better either way :(

• February 13, 2013 at 12:09 amBakaMochi

Am I the only one who had been consistently disappointed by how A-1 Pictures had been handling this show? I don’t know about this particular episode but there were numerous key moments before this that had been ruined either by terrible animation, shoddy directing, or a combination of both. It’s sad because Magi is really good and it’s frustrating to see such good source material get butchered by a studio that shouldn’t be anywhere near a series of this caliber. The subpar animation is seriously confounding since Magi’s art is NOT dificult to animate – it’s in the same vein as FMA whete the art still looked good despite being rather simplistic and very nontraditional. Some of the directing is just plain awkward too… Safe to say, A-1 is barely phoning it in :/

• February 12, 2013 at 1:55 amK C M

LOL, as Aladdin is groping Yamraiha, I’m really jealous because only in an anime or a cartoon can a guy fondle a girl and get away with it.

• February 12, 2013 at 2:44 amNanashi

He didn’t get away with it…

But if you mean in a legal sexual-harassment way, then yes, he did get away

• February 12, 2013 at 3:04 amIchijou Raku

is the budget for this project low? why would they drop the morg dance quality :(

• February 12, 2013 at 4:48 amTheMoondoggie

• February 12, 2013 at 5:37 amVermillion

• February 12, 2013 at 5:50 amDvalinn

I was kind of dissapointed with this episode as well. Even as a non-manga reader I felt like things were just missing or glossed over; the introduction of this new nation could’ve been so much more epic.

And the animation was just…ugh. I haven’t seen animation this bad since the episodes of Muv-Luv where they ran out of money. Mor’s dance looked really awkward because of it, and the fights weren’t impressive either. Dammit, Magi. Don’t suddenly start sucking.

Think I’ll start reading the manga alongside this, really, because I feel like I’m missing out.

• February 12, 2013 at 5:59 amKen Sanders

Somebody call Ace Attorney of Capcom for Sinbad’s Trial next episode!!!!!!!!!!!

• February 12, 2013 at 6:07 amAshan

Zanibas, the correct name of the ‘evil’ organisation is “Al-Thamen” which is Arabic for “The Eighth” most likely referring to Solomon’s rival/enemy of old.

• February 12, 2013 at 6:23 amThundershock81

Im glad im not the only one who noticed the huge drop in animation quality in this episode – and im not usually the kind of person who looks for that kind of thing. The past few episodes have been really good to see it like this quite was jarring. The episode seemed to lack a “flow” if you would, it was quite off putting. Especially seeing Morgs dance, it was beautifully animated in the OP, but in the episode I was like wtf.

Still liked where they went with the episode, and hurray for Horie Yui, but still they need to step this up, shame to ruin a good series with the animation budget.

• February 12, 2013 at 6:59 amMagoiichi

WHO DID THE ANIMATION!?! I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU! IS IT A-1 PICTURES?! THEY SCREWED UP FAIRY TAIL TOO!!!

My hilarious moment has been skipped, no “Boys are back in Town” between Aladdin and Alibaba because it was skipped, they did no justice to Mor’s dance, this is an outrage!!

I will never forgive you A-1, never! T-T

• February 12, 2013 at 9:27 amArakan7

Ahhh… There’s no use in adding to the long complaint list as is.

It’s okay Mor… We know it’s not your fault they messed up probably *the* most awaited scene with you in it.

• February 12, 2013 at 9:47 amD

Time to never ask people to watch this series and take back my recommendations to others. Sigh. I really thought after a good episode last week, they’d do the scene most fans were looking forward to right.

• February 12, 2013 at 12:49 pmTaiakun

Yup…definitely disappointed in that dance scene. But hey, can’t have too much Morgiana looking like this: http://randomc.net/image/Magi/Magi%20-%2018%20-%20Large%2022.jpg!

• February 12, 2013 at 3:28 pmrochichan

I was so sad when they cut the jokes from this episode!! I was seriously looking forward to how they would animate that part… and also, the awkward transitions! I thought there was something with video (lagging, uploaded wrong, etc.) But ugh. Hope next episode gets better!

After all Kenshou Ono will appear!

• February 12, 2013 at 6:15 pmVermillion

• February 12, 2013 at 5:06 pmNaske

Seems more money was spent on that Aladdin boob groping scene then on mor’s dancing one :c

• February 12, 2013 at 7:13 pmSpades

hmmm changing up the story from the manga with the snake bite…disappointing. guess that means magi won’t end up as a long running anime like Fairy Tail and others

• February 13, 2013 at 1:42 amDmonHiro

Guys, don’t worry. Haku is drawn with his left arm correctly in the ED. So I don’t think they will skip the Zagan arc.

• February 13, 2013 at 3:50 amFlareKnight

Yeah, I somewhat expected a dip in quality after all the battles lately, but wished they could have done better here. Was hoping more from Morgiana’s dance. All we have in terms of quality remains the short part in the OP. At least we still have that.

• February 13, 2013 at 8:11 pmMormegil

I laughed so hard at Morgiana’s dance.

• February 13, 2013 at 11:26 pmdepressing, but

I liked this episode but not this review. You mentioned “isnan” on your post but he’s not yet even talked about with that name in the anime. This makes me refrain from reading for the first time, there’s so much manga info that – really consider as spoilers. Thanks though.

• February 18, 2013 at 5:55 pmZanibas

Sorry :(

• February 14, 2013 at 4:11 pmn30nl16ht

A-1 i hate you!

• February 14, 2013 at 8:35 pmshadowalker

Morgiana’s dance was underwhelming, to say the least, but otherwise I don’t have that much complains about this episode.Not being a manga reader I can’t comment on the things they changed or left out, but I don’t get all the fuss about a fat Alibaba and Aladdin.For me the most anticipated event this episode wasn’t Morgiana’s dance, but the introduction of the Eight Generals and the Kingdom of Sindria, and that didn’t disappoint, while we don’t have a detailed view on either(yet), as far as introductions go it was fine.Like I said Morgiana’s dance wasn’t very well done but overall I didn’t find the animation to be that bad, I’m no expert on the subject though.
    Looking forward to future repercussions in Alibaba due to being bitten by the Weapons Dealer’s snake(?).

possible reason

• February 19, 2013 at 10:32 ammiss1madness

The fat Alibaba and Aladdin were there as a sort of cushion between the serious event. I’m just mad because of all the good character development they left out and the odd decisions they’ve made.