Sasami-san@Ganbaranai – 08 »« Sasami-san@Ganbaranai – 06

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai – 07

Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   01 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   02 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   03
Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   04 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   05 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   06
Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   07 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   08 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   09
Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   10 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   11 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   12
Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   13 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   14 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   15
Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   16 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   17 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   18
Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   19 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   20 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   21
Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   22 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   23 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   24
Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   25 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   26 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   27
Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   28 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   29 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   30
Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   31 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   32 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   33
Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   34 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   35 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   36

「声の出し方忘れた」 (Koe no Dashi Kata Wasureta)
“I forgot how to speak”

For a while there I actually though Sasami-san@Ganbaranai was going to turn dark and stay dark. Things did get a little iffy for a while, but it seems to have been a temporary phase in the show’s lifetime rather than a permanent change – we seem to be sort of back to normal by the end of the episode! I’m not entirely sure whether to be happy or sad about this – the dark segment certainly did have a nice charm to it by contrasting with everything that came before, but at the same time one of the things I’ve enjoyed most about Sasami-san is the ridiculous and carefree nature most of its episodes have displayed.

To say that Sasami’s family tree is a little strange would be fair, not just because of the incest, but because of how confusing the latest twist makes it. I always had a feeling Kamiomi was quite old (okay, I based this purely on the choice for his seiyuu) but for him to be her mother’s elder brother comes as a bit of a surprise. The big question is whether he’s actually Sasami’s brother by blood. Assuming he is because no reason has been given to make us doubt that and based upon the fact that Sasami was to be forced to procreate with her father… it might be fair to guess that he’s the father of all three of them – Kamiomi, Sasami, and Sasami’s mother. Or perhaps there are other theories, or Kamiomi may in fact not really be Sasami’s brother, I don’t really know!

This was actually quite an interesting episode in terms of where characters stand. Despite being incredibly frail, Juju stands at the top of the Tsukuyomi hierarchy, utterly dominating everyone else. I suppose that’s no surprise really when all the male members were raised as slaves and she was the former vessel for Amaterasu’s power. But on the other side, we have Tama, the hardest of the Yagami sisters to take seriously. I was kind of expecting a cooler entrance from her, but I shouldn’t really have been surprised by her ignorance of the moment. She does get to be pretty cool though – demonstrating a lot of power as she takes down the malign oddity. I feel as though her use of her abilities is connected to how little she knows about them – that she can use them so effectively because the powers of omnipotence haven’t been restricted by false ideas of what is and isn’t possible.

The moral of the story is a little warped and applies mostly to those who are of the Tsukuyomi lineage – working hard only brings pain and suffering, whereas being unmotivated allows you to live in bliss… assuming you have a slave for a brother. I don’t think I’ll be taking that one home with me!

tl;dr: @MoombaDS – Well now, that’s quite the weird family tree! #Sasamisan

Random thoughts:

• I’m kind of surprised to learn that Sasami liked superheroes even before she ran away – I kind of assumed she’d have been kept in the dark about life outside the shrine.
  • There’s something rather impressive about Tama – she felt powerless to do anything, yet she always tried to do what little she could, even if that was to act happy in the hopes it would cheer up others.
  • Those dropkicks!
  • In the end, Sasami uses the spell her mother taught her in order to seal her – a nice little loop.

Random aside: I released an awesome eight track sci-fi electronic video-game-inspired album! You should listen to it, buy it, and spread the word or something!

Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   Preview 01 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   Preview 02 Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   Preview 03

End Card

Sasami san Ganbaranai   07   End Card
February 22, 2013 at 4:20 am
  • February 22, 2013 at 4:53 amufo

The only complain I have for this episode is Sasami still considers that walking corpse as her mother. It doesnt mean shit what she has ever done for Sasami if she considers Sasami as a tool for continue the bloodline, force drugs into her stomach, and attempts to make a baby out of her and her father. I always wish in these kind of situations, the main characters will just flat out reject their so called parent and annihilate them with all their might. It is cool to see Tama teach that bitch a lesson though. I wish I could see the scene where Tsurugi beat the hell out of Susanoo and Sasami’s mother.

• February 22, 2013 at 7:57 amYX

It makes sense from the story though

Later Show Spoiler ▼

• February 23, 2013 at 3:59 pmpokpok

Mother is still Mother in life or death , she has same soul so she remain mama!

• February 22, 2013 at 5:12 amCybersteel

More head tilts galore.

• February 22, 2013 at 6:48 amSankaku S

Haha, didn’t notice it until I saw your post Cybersteel. XD

• February 22, 2013 at 10:15 amAkarin

it wouldn’t be shaft without the head tilts lol…. Loved the ep though, especially Sasami’s mom’s face when she realized what Tama was!

• February 24, 2013 at 8:27 pmc2710

Some one should compile all SHAFT head tilts

• February 22, 2013 at 5:58 ambaseone

Note to self – don’t make Tama mad.

I think the answer to that is that they want the Tsukuyomi Priestess’s bloodline to be pure as possible resulting to incest.

• February 22, 2013 at 8:29 amNitro

Yeah, this is just how incest works. Family trees get a bit fucked up.

• February 22, 2013 at 7:30 amKF

The incest stuff completely sicken me but I guess it perfectly shows how mess up the Tsukuyomi family really is. You know, Sasami’s mother might be twisted but her intention is noble and the family bit in the beginning made me root for her a bit and I felt something when Sasami cried for her mother.

TQ

• February 22, 2013 at 8:34 amKiria

Awesome episode. Even if it was pretty dark and unsettling, things worked out in the end, which is what I’m usually expecting from this show. Tama got the appreciation she deserved, and also gave us some much-needed laughs. The plush bunny bit at the end really got to me, though.
    I’m sad about Tusrugi’s temporary absence, but now I’m hoping for a great re-entry from her before the end of the series!

• February 22, 2013 at 10:23 amKairoru

Those two dropkicks really made my day.

• February 22, 2013 at 11:08 am8-bitPenguin

That was the most emotion we’ve seen out of Kagami so far, really liked how her character has developed, and I loved how Tama finally got her chance to shine. I was secretly hoping she herself would turn into a sword and eat Sasami’s mother, but that’s mainly because I’ve been replaying “God-Eater”. (She’s kinda the same thing! Except wayyyyy cuter)

• February 22, 2013 at 1:04 pmqwert

Drawing a family tree that lops into itself is tough but I’m pretty sure Sasami’s dad also being her grandfather is the only way to end up with a brother that’s also your uncle in this situation.

• February 22, 2013 at 3:47 pmWibnice

Family trees involving incest is just as confusing as timelines involving time travel.

• February 22, 2013 at 1:05 pmpokpok

Badass serie . Tama is badass ! And mother intention still unsure

• February 22, 2013 at 1:20 pmBear

Old song: “I’m my own Gran’pa!”

I’ve seen the incest thing show up in a number of shows. Must have been a common thing historically to “keep it in the family”.

• February 22, 2013 at 2:21 pmJay

So Kamiomi is Juju’s older brother. Well. And he is also, apparently, someone she would call a “monster” whom she would kill if she could, but apparently can’t for some reason. There are a few possibilities open here. One is that Kamiomi is an unkillable immortal for some reason, in which case it’s actually possible that Kamiomi wasn’t really Juju’s real brother after all, but she might have been raised thinking he was up to a point. Perhaps he’s the god Tsukuyomi?

• February 22, 2013 at 6:23 pmScruffy

Her mother called him a monster because he took Sasami out of the shrine and betrayed the family. That’s why she wouldn’t allow him to be the father.

• February 22, 2013 at 7:07 pmJay

Possibly, but that wouldn’t explain why she said “I would kill you if I could”. There has to be a reason why she couldn’t do it, and if it turns out to be because she literally didn’t have the ability to kill him, her use of “monster” for him might well mean something more than just her being angry.

• February 22, 2013 at 4:46 pmmaou

lol Tama, you go through deserts just to go to a shrine… that’s a long journey you have there XD

• February 22, 2013 at 4:46 pmmac65

The plush toy at the end made it real and was the depth the episode needed.

Very good episode.

• February 22, 2013 at 10:11 pmlegwkio

Niku-chan is so cute.

• February 23, 2013 at 4:07 pmpokpok

In the last scene with Pushy doll – we can see that Mother’s intention really unclear -she is torn between her goal/purpose and her lovely daughter Sasami , They both love each other but were seperated by ideology..

• February 24, 2013 at 1:53 pmsealouse

Hey wait a second. Did Sasami really say she wanted to destroy humanity and return everything to primordial chaos? If so wouldn’t that make her a villain?

• February 24, 2013 at 8:53 pmc2710