One Piece 705 – I See Marines Everywhere! »« One Piece 630 – Enemy Intel

One Piece 704 – Nobody Likes a Pretty Boy

One Piece Manga   704

It is almost certain that Donquixote Doflamingo intends to dial up the drama as the impending war at Dressrosa unfolds and what better way to spark excitement than a bloody fight to the death of more than 550 warriors. Gladiators, pirates, royalties, bounty hunters and assassins from all across the world have their eyes set on the grand prize and it is indeed a very valuable treasure. The Mera Mera no Mi which of course, belonged to Portgas D. Ace before his unfortunate demise is an extremely rare and highly powerful Logia Devil Fruit. Whoever comes into ownership of such a reward could command a huge influence in this dog-eat-dog world, which is why it’s hardly surprising to see a broad range of powerful combatants gathered at the Corrida Coliseum, some of whom are those of familiar faces – Bellamy the Hyena who got his ass handed to Luffy during their last encounter and Jesus Burgess of the Blackbeard Pirates whose true abilities remain an unknown.

As for the other major order of business, I don’t think anyone of us is surprised to learn that Luffy or should I call him Lucy now (It’s a trap and a very bad one), is a huge fan of cosplay. His poor taste in fashion (and everything else) has always been the subject of derision and it never fails to give me a chuckle or two. But no matter how hard Lucy tries, he will never look as pretty (or “bishie”) as the Pirate Prince “White Horse” Cavendish who commands a hefty bounty of 280 million Belly. Cavendish is a classic bishounen trope hyperbolized to its rational extreme. He is a spotlight hog who is narcissistic, petty, fabulous and so incredibly “beautiful” that the mere sight of him brought the female staff (and some of the male contestants) to their knees. The grudge he holds against the Eleven Supernovas is probably uncalled-for, but I’ll be the first to admit his eventual confrontation with Luffy (and maybe Trafalgar Law) will be an immensely entertaining spectacle to behold. Another character that is worthy of note is the gladiator, Rebecca (now that’s a fashion sense I like) who not only shows a strong resentment toward Doflamingo, but also shares the same fascination that Lucy has displayed for the “manly” bronze statue of Kyros. My money says Kyros is the blind man whom the Straw Hat crew met at the restaurant and while his role in this conflict continues to be a mystery for now, I am certain it will prove to be an important one.

Without a doubt, the mighty gladiators at the Corrida Coliseum will put on a good show for its audience (and manga readers). But make no mistake about it, at the crux of Doflamingo’s master plan, the Mera Mera no Mi is simply a tool that he could use to blackmail Luffy and change the current strategic advantage in his favor. Just how the former Shichibukai came into possession of Ace’s Devil Fruit will now stay unspecified but one thing is certain – Luffy would never allow such an important memento of his beloved brother to fall into the wrong hands.

April 3, 2013 at 5:36 pm
  • April 3, 2013 at 5:37 pmSosuke Aizen

Just as planned.

• April 3, 2013 at 5:48 pmJack Spicer

I thought that One Piece was supposed to be a weekly comic…

• April 3, 2013 at 5:50 pmJack Spicer

… and then I realized that somehow I had missed the last three chapters in the last three weeks. /facepalm

• April 4, 2013 at 3:49 amSeishun

Time to catch up then ;)

• April 3, 2013 at 5:58 pmEmD

I’m calling Jesus Burgess vs. Luffy vs. Cavendish vs. Rebecca

and I’ll throw a “Rebecca for Strawhat” in there too because it’s practically tradition nowadays.

• April 3, 2013 at 6:59 pmsonicsenryaku

Im right with you one that one; I have a feeling that Rebecca might be the 10th strawhat; and considering they are in the new world, now is a time as any for luffy to get his tenth crew member. She seems like a strong and worthy addition to the team.

• April 4, 2013 at 1:59 amLemona

isnt Vivi the 10th unofficial member?

• April 4, 2013 at 5:36 pmbelias

Jimbe is going to be the 10th, when he reachs the crew.

• April 3, 2013 at 8:30 pmSeishun

That would be nice. The Straw Hat Crew could use another female character, just so Sanji can spew some insanely GAR lines ;P

• April 3, 2013 at 6:03 pmSeriously

I was actually surprised to see Jesus Burgess. This arc just keeps getting more and more interesting. Kind of disappointed we didn’t get to see any Zoro, but still a great chapter.

• April 4, 2013 at 3:50 amSeishun

I’m more interested in what’s going on with Sanji and that hot dancer ;)

• April 4, 2013 at 5:56 amMasterDragonKnight

Sanji is in the process of getting stabbed.

• April 4, 2013 at 6:40 amMormegil

Me too. Will Sanji finally get laid? Or will Violet try to kill him? And hey, if all else fails there’s still Baby 5.

• April 3, 2013 at 6:06 pmJiCi

Y’know, I have a suspicious feeling that Luffy will eat the Flame-Flame Fruit whether be by choice (so no other can take it again), by last resort (he’s getting beat up badly so he eats the fruit for a second wind) or by accident (he’s hungry so he takes the fruit by accident).

Luffy’s concern of not being able to eat the Flame-Flame Fruit because of his own Gum-Gum Fruit is rather misplaced. Back in the CP9 arc, Blueno stated that eating 2 fruits would cause the eater’s body to be destroyed by the 2 “devils” inside. That, however, was proven false:

Luffy’s own Gum-Gum Fruit is a Paramecia-type fruit and the Flame-Flame Fruit is a Logia-type fruit. So yeah, due to their different natures and possibly because of Luffy’s strengthened body, he could totally get both fruits’ powers without any problem, and be on par with Marshall, who, let me remind you, is now on Luffy’s opponent list.

If Luffy gets both fruits, his attack power will become tremendously increased. A Gum-Gum Pistol becomes a flaming punch, a Gum-Gum Rocket becomes a fiery dash, a Gum-Gum Ballon becomes an immense pressure vessel that can get Luffy to blow an extremely long fire breath in his exhalation, a Gum-Gum Red Hawk becomes… insanely more powerful, a Gum-Gum Elephant Gatling becomes literally a Gum-Gum Meteor Shower, and so on…

I’m eager to see this if it happens for real ^_^

• April 3, 2013 at 6:37 pmLuxor

I think you’re missing something important in Blackbeard’s case: it’s not that he proves people can eat two devils, but rather that he’s an exception who has a special body. Whether this is related to the Will of D or something else is still unknown, so saying that Luffy can have two devil fruits is entirely speculation at this point.

• April 3, 2013 at 6:39 pmPuffy

Nothing was proven false as we don’t actually know how Blackbeard managed to steal Whitebeard’s devil fruit abilities.

• April 3, 2013 at 7:38 pmsoulji

its all specualution as to why Blackbeard can eat 2 fruits. Even when they were commenting on his special body they, the characters were speculating. My theory is that it had something to do with his devil fruit and this was all part of his plan. He killed his nakama and stole his fruit specifically to be able to steal whitebeards power. Like he became a warlord to free prisoners strong enough to help him defeat whitebeard in the first place.

Personally, i hope Sanji eats the Flame fruit. I’m tired of his “flames of passion.” I understand its a metaphor but it looks like fire and he’s done it more than once. When oda sensei did it in the nightmare luffy arc it was funny, but i think he got a little carried away with it. Especially after the boa sisters and the elaboration on haki.

Anyways i’m glad Randoms doing a one piece post. sweet

• April 3, 2013 at 8:27 pmRiilme

Dunno whether this should be put in a spoiler tag or not, but well..

• April 3, 2013 at 9:48 pmRyuuzaki21

@Riilme
        your cerberus zoan type is really a nice idea. if i remember it correctly, shanks got his scar from teach’s 3 daggers(he holds it like wolverine)

• April 3, 2013 at 8:33 pmSeishun

I’m with Luxor on this one. It probably has something to do with the Will of D. A Gomu Gomu x Mera Mera Luffy would certainly be mad awesome :3

• April 4, 2013 at 6:09 pmDenki

Does he really need it though? He can already practically use fire by combining Gear Second and his Haki, so apart from the benefits of the logia, there isn’t much sense in him eating the thing. I mean it’d be nice, but he doesn’t need it as he’s the type to run in guns blazing (haha, I made myself laugh).

• April 3, 2013 at 8:50 pmLoo2

In my opinion, Luffy will likely blow his cover in some way, using the Conquer’s haki or using his rubber powers. Donflamingo wouldn’t even let Luffy win but Luffy will just find some way to steal his Bro’s fruit.

I am wondering if Blackbeard is around. And if his rather robust lacky has any sort of special power already.

To be honest, my biggest shock is how Luffy knew that, aside from Blackbeard, a person isn’t allowed to eat two devil fruits. I thought he was going to do something like eat his bro’s fruit. Anyway, as for who will eat the Mera Mera no ni. My bet is Rebecca. I would predict that Luffy, in the end, will give Rebecca his bro’s cursed fruit. Then Rebecca will later join Luffy’s crew as the third female of the Strawhats.

• April 3, 2013 at 9:41 pmRyuuzaki21

nice imagination you got here but i kinda agree in what you had said.
      luffy or one of his crew or friend will somehow eat the mera mera no mi either by accident or by choice after winning the coliseum.
      your idea of no 2 types df ie logia x logia, paramecia x paramecia but combination will be fine is something i never think about before. but remember, vegapunk already studied the dfs and he even made things eat the fruit, there is a great chance that your idea will be proven wrong. there is no way that genius will overlook at that idea. maybe eating 2 df got something to do with D no isshi or teach is really unique for a normal human.

• June 8, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Black Beard could have two df powers because of his dark-dark fruit. Earlier on in the series he talked about how he had been searching for his dark-dark fruit because one of its abilities was to absorb other devil fruits’ powers. So it does not prove that you can eat two devil fruits, but only that you can have the powers of more than 1 as long as you have certain fruits.

• April 3, 2013 at 6:17 pmNanashi

I agree, the greatest possibility is Luffy getting flame-flame fruit. They are in territory where power levels are ever-escalating, and his gear abilities+current gum-gum powers+haki are not going to be enough.

• April 3, 2013 at 7:40 pmsoulji

haki not enough? given that his grandfather and Red Hair only have Haki. i think luffy will be fine.

• April 3, 2013 at 10:12 pmVivace

and Rayleigh :D

• April 4, 2013 at 3:52 amSeishun

Rayleigh is pretty awesome ;)

• April 3, 2013 at 6:24 pmThea

I thought Cavendish looked like a woman.
    Earlier, I have assumed that someone from the Whitebeard Pirates might make an appearance and join the tournament for the sake of Ace’s Devil Fruit, but Oda gave me a Blackbeard Pirate instead. I wonder if the Blackbeard Pirates are on the island as well.

• April 4, 2013 at 3:53 amSeishun

Who knows? Someone from the White Beard crew could be hiding somewhere.

• April 3, 2013 at 6:39 pmMuse

In the future could the writer choose a more fitting image for One Piece chapters? Like something from the actual chapter, that is cool? The last writer would always pick the lamest panels to represent his post, there was no energy.

• April 3, 2013 at 7:20 pmIng

It was to avoid spoilers.

• April 3, 2013 at 7:28 pmSeishun

What Ing said, I prefer not to spoil the readers. Also, I’m not a fan of black and white pictures, especially when they’re not properly cleaned. Hope you wouldn’t mind ;)

• April 3, 2013 at 7:48 pmsoulji

idk, the only reason i dont think Luffy will eat the flame fruit is because he already has flame powers. yes the flame fist we saw was weaker than ace’s but all he has to do is add flames to an elephant gun and that’s as good as ace’s signature move. With the flame fruit, all he would be getting would be the defensive buff and maybe some mobility. And since most his enemies have haki, being incorporeal isn’t that much of a buff. It would be cool story wise, but powers wise it would be a waste.

• April 4, 2013 at 3:55 amSeishun

Hard to predict at such an early stage. But you gotta admit the idea of a Gomu Gomu Mera Mera Luffy does sound pretty awesome ;)

• April 3, 2013 at 8:08 pmLemona

OMG I have waited for the date One Piece to be covered again for so long.
    Thank you so much. I was so close to volunteering to cover one piece myself lol
    Great Post!!!

• April 4, 2013 at 3:30 amSeishun

Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed my first OP post ;)

• April 3, 2013 at 8:23 pmFT5.Havok

Wow! I thought Bellamy was dead already? And any ideas who might Kyros be? One Piece <3

• April 3, 2013 at 9:43 pmRyuuzaki21

may doflamingo didnt finish him afterall and made him his pet again

• April 4, 2013 at 3:33 amSeishun

I think it’s the blind man who made that gigantic hole at the restaurant. Didn’t you read my post? :P

• April 4, 2013 at 11:26 amFT5.Havok

I’ve read your post! I was hoping someone might have a different theory. ;P

• April 3, 2013 at 8:27 pmLemona

Wouldn’t fire make his gomu gomu a little less efficient or perhaps harder to control? I read some type of volcanized rubber doesn’t really have a melting point because it will decompose before it but some type of rubber can have a melting point of 98′Celcius. I don’t think having more devil fruit in your body necessarily increases your battle strength. Altho not proven, if Shank still does not have a devil fruit (we know he didnt have one in the beginning of manga cuz he was swimming when his arm got bitten off) then as a Yonko he proves that haki and other skills are more dominant factors of strength

And given the importance of the mera mera fruit i think straw hats will end up having it in the end. The most unexpected random event will be if Blackbeard appears out of nowhere and takes the fruit himself lol

• April 4, 2013 at 3:43 amSeishun

Zoro and Sanji have proven themselves to be very capable fighters as well, even without devil fruit abilities.

• April 3, 2013 at 9:41 pmstarss

One Piece returns here!

• April 4, 2013 at 3:48 amSeishun

Aren’t you glad I’m here lol

• April 4, 2013 at 11:33 amLayfon

Thank you!

• April 4, 2013 at 5:09 pmstarss

Your writing sooths me. I am unsure what it is.

• April 3, 2013 at 10:17 pmRyougaZell

Excellent post, congrats!

• April 4, 2013 at 3:36 amSeishun

Thanks. Hope you’ll tune in in the future as well.

• April 4, 2013 at 12:26 amChisel

Thanks for taking on One Piece. It’s been too long. Like many people, I think that Luffy will give the devil fruit to Rebecca which would pretty much guarantee her as the next strawhat. Another point someone touched upon was that of Whitebeard’s ex-crew. Seeing as how important a memento the fruit is to Whitebeard’s crew, hopefully one of the commanders makes an appearance in this arc.

• April 4, 2013 at 3:41 amSeishun

I think Rebecca will make a great addition for the Straw Hat Crew and yes, it would be nice to see the the White Beard Crew in action again.

• April 4, 2013 at 7:16 amSoulji

Yeah, i really want to see the white beard crew again. At least before the pirate summit. Oda sensei hasn’t said if they split up by captains or if bird dude is in charge.

Bird dude was awesome.

• April 4, 2013 at 1:26 amSmith

finally someone is covering OP. You have earned my respect.

• April 4, 2013 at 3:46 amSeishun

Thanks. I hope you’ll like it.

• April 4, 2013 at 2:25 amAnanas

One Piece manga reviews?
    Based you, Seishun.

Just at the moment One Piece finally returned to its former glory.

• April 4, 2013 at 3:46 amSeishun

Thanks. I do my best.

• April 4, 2013 at 3:13 amselma

yes ! glad to see one piece reviews return, I think its chapters are always the ones you can say the most about. the last two chapters were better than this one but this one was great too, I’v always likes the introductory chapters in all the arcs.
    but what a surprise to see burgess at the end, some pretty coneited people are gonna beaten to a pulp.

• April 4, 2013 at 3:47 amSeishun

You’re right. This chapter wasn’t as interested as the last few. Buggy the Clown as a Shichibukai? I could write a entire post about that XD

• April 4, 2013 at 6:00 amConsumed

Yesssssssss. One Piece is being blogged ^_^

• April 4, 2013 at 6:02 amMasterDragonKnight

I see that the perverted Stilts-oniichan had a bad influence on you. XD

• April 4, 2013 at 9:05 amBabu

Lol no Seishun was always this perverted :3 he seems to aim himself on only on the girls xD

• April 4, 2013 at 8:31 amBarbatos

OMG OMG OMG SHEISHUN YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!after Kiiragi left i thought One piece would be never blogged again in RC
    will you also will blog One piece anime?

• April 4, 2013 at 11:17 amChris

I like seeing the manga chapters being covered…but I’m not so sure about the anime…unless some important development happen perhaps? Recently the animators at Toei are just draaaaaaaaagging it out. They seem to have gotten lazy for the Fishman and Punk Hazard Arcs. Animation isn’t as fluid or vibrant recently..still miss how they would animate Water 7 and Enies Lobbies.. These two arcs were not too great either…if you ask me. Only the aftermaths of Punk Hazard give me the sense that “yes! Bring on the New World!” Hody Jones and Ceasar were nothing but fodder…

• April 4, 2013 at 8:39 amVylgodric

Just how the former Shichibukai came into possession of Ace’s Devil Fruit will now stay unspecified.

I think is clearly stated that Doflamingo can make devil fruits at will (SAD), so what stopped him and CC from creating the mera mera fruit just to blackmail/lure Luffy?

• April 4, 2013 at 5:44 pmbelias

Actually, the Smiles created from SAD can only reproduce Zoan-types.

• April 4, 2013 at 9:06 amMrRei

NOTE: Seishun would also like to blog about ladies wearing Two Piece if he ever had the chance. But that’s not happening because we’re all shipping Seishun x self! FOREVER! \o/

• April 4, 2013 at 9:36 amIchijou raku

seishun-kun, the word “pretty” isn’t necessary in that statement.

• April 4, 2013 at 9:50 amYanDaMan

I love how almost every new female characters have the same face as Nami, lol.

• April 4, 2013 at 3:45 pmrasone0104

I sense burning rubber in the future

• April 4, 2013 at 8:06 pmraiken66

Im liking all the setup we’re getting here it should make for some interesting fights i predict that major opponents will be cavandish ,rebecca, jesus and bartolomeo

• April 4, 2013 at 10:04 pmNaYa

There’s also the possibility of whether that mera mera no mi is really the authentic article, or if it’s just some sort of smile replica…

• April 4, 2013 at 10:28 pmNaYa

…though by replica I mean something that just ‘looks’ like it, feels like it but not quite works like it… unless they have some sort of testing mechanism to confirm the potency of the devil fruit?

• April 4, 2013 at 10:46 pmBROOKLYN otaku

thanks dude…thanks for covering this!

• April 5, 2013 at 2:53 ambaldur

Thanks for covering the only manga that makes sense.

• April 5, 2013 at 5:14 pmselma

the only SHONEN that makes sense

• April 5, 2013 at 7:35 pmrandom viewer

• April 5, 2013 at 9:19 pmTheOrangeOne

My dream come true. RC posting OP again :)

• April 7, 2013 at 9:20 pmneks

No way luffy will eat the Mera Mera and get a new ability.. this is not Fairy Tail

this arc it keeps just getting better and better, i already love it more than Fishman island and Punk Hazard

• April 7, 2013 at 9:20 pmneks

btw is good to see One Piece is back on Random Curiosity. it was about damn time :D

• April 10, 2013 at 8:24 amAlpha

Thanks for covering OP again, Seishun!
    Really appreciate it.. :)

• April 11, 2013 at 6:53 amIroha360

I can’t help but think red sonja comic book when i see rebecca’s armor. ^_^