Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS – 02 »« Ro-Kyu-Bu! – 07

Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS – 01

OP Sequence

Ro Kyu Bu SS   OP   01 Ro Kyu Bu SS   OP   02 Ro Kyu Bu SS   OP   03
Ro Kyu Bu SS   OP   04 Ro Kyu Bu SS   OP   05 Ro Kyu Bu SS   OP   06

OP: 「Get goal!」 by 花澤香菜, 日高里菜, 日笠陽子, 井口裕香, 小倉唯 (Hanazawa Kana, Hidaka Rina, Hikasa Yoko, Iguchi Yuka, Ogura Yui)

Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   01 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   02 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   03
Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   04 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   05 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   06
Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   07 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   08 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   09
Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   10 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   11 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   12
Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   13 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   14 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   15
Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   16 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   17 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   18
Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   19 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   20 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   21
Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   22 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   23 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   24
Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   25 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   26 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   27
Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   28 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   29 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   30
Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   31 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   32 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   33
Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   34 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   35 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   36

「小学生(いのせんと)・わ~るど!」 (Shougakusei (i no sen to) Wa~rudo!)
“Elementary School Students – Wo~rld!”

Cute, cute, way too cute! Also, Subaru is the ultimate gentleman. I want to grow up to be just like him.

They’re Back!

This episode mainly served as a reintroduction to the characters and the show, so a lot of it consisted of everyone just being themselves. The IM animations, the friendship, the romance, Subaru being the biggest gentleman in the world…everything I enjoyed about the first season was here again. Okay, so actually this one was a bit low on the actual basketball, but that’s coming. Shiny Gift cannot be denied.

Forced Crisis

My major qualm with this episode was that the crisis was forced and largely unnecessary. I get that Tomoka’s father was concerned about her because she had a pretty bad experience with basketball in the past – which served as another reminder, for those of us who forgot about it – but his desire to protect his daughter became silly once he tried to forbid her from spending time with her friends at an event that had nothing to do with basketball, and despite every indication that she was very much enjoying the sport once again. Here’s the thing – with a plot line like this, if it can be resolved in a single episode, it probably didn’t need to be done at all. It had no emotional oompfh and was over with way too soon, so why bother?

Well, one reason was to once again allow Subaru (Kaji Yuki) to strut his stuff and win points with his future father-in-la–I mean, Tomoka’s father. Seriously, what a gentleman. I’m pretty sure that if these girls were in high school then Subaru would already be the biggest harem master of them all, except he’s so nice he would just date one of them seriously. Or he’d have already knocked up both Tomoka and Aoi, who knows.

Death By Adorable

It’s official – if I don’t make it through the season, this show is why, because after only 20 minutes of Tomoka (Hanazawa Kana) going “Huee~!?” and Hinata (Ogura Yui) going “Oh~!” and my heart could barely take it! I also very much enjoyed Maho’s (Iguchi Yuka) shooting incident (for the laughs!) and Saki (Hikasa Yoko) getting all lovey-dovey with Tomoka’s ma–I mean, Subaru. Airi (Hidaka Rina) didn’t get to stand out much this episode, but she will. She can hardly help it!

Looking Ahead – More Characters Ahoy!

First of all, let me say this – Natsuhi (Kotobuki Minako), you were had twin imoutos and you didn’t tell us!? And they call you nii-tan!? Die!!

Ahem…anyway, so even though the first episode consisted largely of reintroductions, they took some time to introduce a few characters that will be on the rival team from the OP. I’m wondering, are they going to be from another school, another club at the same school, or will all the characters be on the same team? I’d kind of like it to eventually end up the latter, because then we’d get to see some other dynamics during team play, and also because playing a whole game is tiring. We’ll have to get past the rival stage before they can be friends though, so that’s next. First up: the unsubtly introduced rival Mimi Balguerie (Kuno Misaki). Seriously, she shows up saying the most well known French phrase in the world AND wearing a jersey that says France? We got it, we get it! Now let’s play some basketball.

I’m not sure whether I’ll continue blogging this – I’d like to, but I’m not sure I’ll have the time, plus I mainly just gush about this show, and who wants to read that? – but I’ll certainly be watching it. So for now, until (maybe) next time, enjoy!

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – A reintroduction to all the characters. Tomoka’s “Huee~!?”, Hina’s “Oh~!”…too much moe!! *dies* #rokyubu

Random thoughts:

• Sequel OP and EDs are always tricky – you want to hearken back to what was (I assume) successful the first time without giving us the exact same thing all over again. This OP was very similar to last season’s, especially musically, so while it doesn’t really offer much new, if you liked the previous one (which I did) then you’ll like this one. As for the ED, I didn’t like it as much as last season’s, but then again, I almost always say that on the first episode, so we’ll see how it grows on me. Growing, get it? Eh? Eh? Ahhh I’ll stop now.
  • In case you didn’t catch it, they actually switched up the positions on us – Hina used to be the shooting guard while Tomoka was the small forward. I wonder why the change?
  • Mini-skirts. Mini-skirt yukata everywhere!! Swiftly approved.
  • Speaking of OPs, what was with the season 1 OP played as an insert in the very first episode? It sounded like they were going to elope for a second there!
  • I’m impressed by how much detail they put into all the mob characters. A good sign.
  • Tomoka wants to be closer to Subaru? The princess carry? Holding hands in the very first episode!? They’re not holding much back, wowza!
  • If you haven’t heard, an OVA that takes place between last season and this one was released not too long ago. You should definitely check it out – it involved Hina rubbing Airi’s chest and Tomoka getting sprayed by condensed milk, so you know it has to be good! Pero pero good, funya~

For more from yours truly, check out my blog on writing, art, and the book I’m working on at stiltsoutloud.com.

Full-length images: 02, 10, 20, 23, 35.

ED Sequence

Ro Kyu Bu SS   ED   01 Ro Kyu Bu SS   ED   02 Ro Kyu Bu SS   ED   03

ED: 「Rolling! Rolling」 by 花澤香菜, 日高里菜, 日笠陽子, 井口裕香, 小倉唯 (Hanazawa Kana, Hidaka Rina, Hikasa Yoko, Iguchi Yuka, Ogura Yui)

Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   Preview 01 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   Preview 02 Ro Kyu Bu SS   01   Preview 03
July 6, 2013 at 9:27 pm
  • July 6, 2013 at 9:33 pmTheMoondoggie

I hope they won’t change the focus of this show in it’s second season. Some anime loose the original taste on their S2.

And please, more Subaru x Tomoka OTP. It’s ok Subaru, it’s not pedo: Your soulmate isn’t even half your age!

• July 6, 2013 at 11:37 pmStilts

It’ll be perfectly fine in a few years! Once they’re dominating the basketball world together >:D

OTP! OTP! OTP!

• July 6, 2013 at 9:45 pmF

Oh boy, the show only started and my diabetes level is rising…

• July 6, 2013 at 10:13 pmMutare

KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! My heart… I’m totally ready to die from adorable causes. The OP1 insert was really out of nowhere, you usually hear something like that towards the end of a series. Natsuhi you sly dog. Not only does he have twin imoutos BUT THEY ALSO CALL HIM NII-TAN!!! I am jelly.

• July 6, 2013 at 11:35 pmStilts

I think the OP insert thing might have been because they were trying to make us think something big and epic was happening, but it was so abrupt (and short, and anyone could intuit what was happening) that it didn’t work. Or they’re going to do that every episode? I don’t know, I’m not a doctor.

• July 7, 2013 at 5:08 pmmac65

@Stilts After reading your comment I get it. It was abrupt
        because it had to be abrupt. If there is anything ♡ growing
        between them, it would be tarnished by going too far too soon
        (i.e., running into each others arms). At least that what I
        thought the writers were trying to portray.

It works because her Mother trust Subaru and he’s not dumb
        enough to betray that faith (not that he would).

• July 6, 2013 at 10:28 pmmianghuei

Kamisama!!! I’ve died and gone to heaven…

• July 6, 2013 at 10:49 pmEuzio

All was going fine… my heart was beating steadily…. until the moment when Tomoka went “Hueeee…!” and I had to bust out the defibrillator to shock myself back to life….

• July 6, 2013 at 11:56 pmVaans

Lolis…LOLIS EVERYWHERE!!!

• July 7, 2013 at 1:00 amDude

I looked out of my curtains, and SWAT vans are everywhere!!

• July 7, 2013 at 4:27 amTheMoondoggie

Wewewe-wait!

I just noticed from the caps I took: isn’t number 8 from the OP Hinata’s imouto? So she’s playing for that silver loli in the OP. I wonder what happened?

• July 7, 2013 at 4:49 ammac65

Basketball the way it should be played :)

• July 7, 2013 at 5:56 amB.I.T.W

Oh~! the little girls basketball anime is back indeed hurray we got more better basketball to watch while nba on summer break.

indeed recall seeing s2 during when nba was on lock-out & yep this basketball got more game to watch.

& now prepare main 5 meet rival 5 & Oh~! now subaru even got tomoka’s dad to watch his daughter indeed beware of little girls basketball.

• July 7, 2013 at 6:11 amSparvid

I still can’t believe that they actually included “Shougakusei wa Saikou daze” in the ED :D

• July 7, 2013 at 6:33 amJ-Luke

Hinata is such a pure and innocent girl…at least I hope she is.

• July 7, 2013 at 7:22 amMasterDragonKnight

I want to grow up to be just like him.

You want little girls to come visit your house, peek up their skirt, and be really intimate with them?

Hmm…yup, sounds like the perverted Stilts-oniichan I know. Ohhh~ ^^

• July 7, 2013 at 1:39 pmStilts

I meant that I want to be a gentleman like him :*( MDK is so mean to meee~!!

• July 7, 2013 at 2:23 pmMasterDragonKnight

A gentleman pervert is still a pervert, Stilts-oniichan. I can see this happening now. ^^

Stilts: Young lady…may I see your panties?

Hinata: Ohhh~

• July 7, 2013 at 10:13 amCytrus

The positions changed as Subaru came to understand the girls’ strengths and weaknesses more. Hinata started out as point guard, Tomoka as small forward. This was just because vol. 1 Hinata didn’t have the stamina to run around the whole match, so her role was more like “pass to whoever is free”. When Hinata got some training done, the two switched.

That made Tomoka point guard, but she was eventually replaced on this position by Saki, whose intellect and understanding of her teammates was best suited for the game-making position (vol.4, or the last anime arc).

Freed up from point guard, Tomoka became shooting guard (or, unofficially, point forward). She did the most position changing mainly because she could do well at anything if absolutely necessary, so Subaru used her for whatever the team lacked most at the moment until a solid team tactic fully emerged.

Unless the anime messed something up, Hinata was never shooting guard.

• July 7, 2013 at 1:44 pmStilts

I remember most of the changes, including the change of Saki to point guard (one of my favorite moments from s1), but I had thought Tomoka was still small forward while Hina was the shooting guard at the end there. I might be wrong, though…its been a while.

• July 7, 2013 at 11:49 amal

Please blog this Stilts,we need you!don’t leave us alone, do it for the lolis

• July 7, 2013 at 12:59 pmSetsuna Henry

Tomoka and Hinata are so moe. Saki and Airi are so cute. I really hope for NatsuhixMaho.

Tomoka and Mimi are rival.
    Maho and Tsubaki & Hiiragi are rival.
    Saki and Masami are rival.

Now that what I called epic.

• July 7, 2013 at 5:28 pmZhinvu

I missed Hinata’s “Oh” very much.

• July 7, 2013 at 8:16 pmcbhl

> I mainly just gush about this show, and who wants to read that?

If all you do is gush about the show, I will still read about it every week. ^_^

• July 13, 2013 at 4:36 pmmac65

No matter how the series goes, I’m in for the OST when it’s available.