Shingeki no Kyojin – 22 »« Shingeki no Kyojin – 20

Shingeki no Kyojin – 21

Shingeki no Kyojin   21   01 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   02 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   03
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   04 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   05 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   06
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   07 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   08 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   09
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   10 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   11 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   12
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   13 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   14 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   15
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   16 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   17 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   18
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   19 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   20 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   21
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   22 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   23 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   24
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   25 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   26 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   27
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   28 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   29 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   30
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   31 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   32 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   33
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   34 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   35 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   36
Shingeki no Kyojin   21   37 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   38 Shingeki no Kyojin   21   39

「鉄槌 ―第57回壁外調査(5)―」 (Tettsui ―Dai 57 Kai Kabe Gai Chosa (5)―)
“Crushing Blow ―57th Expedition Beyond the Walls (5)―”

The suffering never stops. Thought it was tough enough facing an intelligent Titan, now you gotta face someone who can camouflage as one of your own and transform back at will. Really, if this was a game I’d be saying just “gg, no re” (good game, no rematch) at this point, because any normal guy would’ve given up on it by now. Shingeki’s like the SNES Contra on steroids, and well, if you haven’t played that game before… let’s just say there’s a reason it’s labeled as one of the toughest games of all time.

Game references aside, Erwin’s quote says it all:

“We were mistaken to use Eren, a novice, as the basis of our assumptions.
If we are to outwit our enemy, we need to think outside the box.”

Indeed, the Titans’ secrets continue to be plentiful despite the big steps they’ve taken recently, and it just adds further to the difficulties our characters are facing. Not only are they dealing with the natural issues the Titans bring, they now have to deal with intelligent ones and saboteurs within their own ranks, as well as the continued uncertainty and lack of knowledge regarding anything Titan-related. You can plan all you want, but the fact remains they’re on their back foot no matter what the situation, and the failure of Erwin’s plan (despite its sound nature), demonstrates just how grim things are here.

With that said, the resumption of the Female Titan’s chase not only hammers in that fact, but also highlights notion that regular military tactics and lines of thinking just won’t work here if they want to win. Like my sentiment from a few weeks back, Erwin ends up expressing this himself, and it’s something that will test exactly whether or not he’s worthy of being humanity’s hope. At the very least though, everyone still believes in him (myself included), and that leads us into another key aspect of this episode: the strength you can possess if you know just exactly what you can do, believe in yourself, and believe in your comrades.

Granted, this strength only means so much in the end though (as the deaths of Petra, Eldo, and Oluo show), and Eren ends up having to transform into a Titan. Suffice to say, it’s quite fitting to say the least, because it reasons that if you’re going to take down another intelligent Titan, you’re going to need one of your own (insanity vs. insanity / fantasy vs. fantasy). Furthermore, it’s fitting in the sense that Eren falls outside of what we’d consider “normal military tactics/weaponry” too, and thus is exactly what Erwin means when he says they need to start doing something different to win, even if they’re forced to rely on someone that’s potentially a double-edged sword.

As it turns out, even that’s not enough, and both Levi + Mikasa end up arriving too late to assist Eren’s efforts. And well, what can I say? This week was just an amazing, action-packed episode that culminated a lot of what was built up in the previous weeks and fulfilled a lot of the writing on the wall as well. Admittedly I’m quite skeptical that Eren’s truly dead at this point (considering how “early” in the game it is, how he “died” once before already, and how he seems to have been swallowed whole), but that doesn’t change the fact that even if he’s just lying around being partially digested at this point, it’s gonna be quite something to get him out regardless, even if Mikasa’s solo show already got the Titan on its knees. As such, there really is nothing else to say except that next week just can’t come soon enough. It’s just too bad that this episode also heralds the last month of Shingeki no Kyojin’s first season too.

Author’s Notes:

• Regarding the episode, I gotta say… I like how they decided to forgo their usual spoiler-filled previews this week. Definitely a plus.
  • Per the usual, there’s a zero tolerance policy for spoilers that aren’t in spoiler tags or in response to a query.
  • In regards to speculation, I want to leave it up to you guys to use your own discretion in regards to what you decide to type in a comment, so I won’t be requiring that spoiler tags be used. However, please note that if you don’t (or you word your speculation in a way that implies more than just that) there’s a chance viewers will down vote your comment to oblivion, and there would be nothing I can do to make your comment visible again. Also keep in mind that any speculation that seems beyond the scope of the word will be removed if deemed inappropriate or clearly based off the source material.

Shingeki no Kyojin   21   Preview 01

August 31, 2013 at 7:18 pm
    • August 31, 2013 at 7:21 pmAmarrez

Petra ;_;

• August 31, 2013 at 8:16 pmPsithief

Sorry Petra, you were just a red shirt after all. :(

• August 31, 2013 at 8:20 pmVagrant

ikr, read the manga long ago and I’ve been dreading this ep ever since they made the animated petra lovable orz

• August 31, 2013 at 9:33 pmHorus

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• August 31, 2013 at 10:22 pmJel

@Vagrant
          Yes, this exactly. Ever since the arc started, I was wary and feeling so sad every time Petra kept telling Eren to believe in them… so bittersweet, torn between the two very reasonable choices. Should he have trusted them, or gone with his gut and show he didn’t trust them at the same time?

• September 1, 2013 at 2:31 amFlanders

@Vagrant
          This. I’ve read the manga before quite a while ago (and I dreaded this scene), but the anime executed this part many times better – why did they make Petra very adorable here?!!!

• September 1, 2013 at 5:36 amDanny

lol, i feel 100x worse; read the manga and forgot Petra died in it

• August 31, 2013 at 8:31 pmtsukioniisan

I’m relieved Zephyr didn’t post a screenshot of Petra’s dead face. As much as I want to have another go at this episode, I never want to see one of my favoured character in such state again ;_;

• August 31, 2013 at 10:37 pmPanino Manino

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• August 31, 2013 at 7:22 pmNadester

Wow, just wow. This episode just blew me away. Spectacular animation, character development, and pacing all so wonderfully put together. One of the best episodes so far. And man, for Eren to lose so quickly to the female titan just goes to show how inexperienced he is fighting as a titan which is natural, but with that being said I hope that he gets better as the series progresses. And although it might not look it I’m pretty sure Corporal Levi is pissed as hell that all his comrades have fallen, along with Mikasa who will do anything in her power to get her Eren back. The female titan is in for some real trouble, not to mention that she’s already worn out. :P

• September 4, 2013 at 9:05 amAxe Armor

She just kept pace with horses for two hours, killed around thirty elite troops, got eaten by titans, escaped from them undetected, and then transformed a second time to kill even more elite troops, and THEN CQCed Titan Eren to death. Contrast with Eren, who at present is basically dead every time he comes out of his titan. Grinding ten or twenty levels would do him good.

• August 31, 2013 at 7:22 pmJimhawk

PETRA NOOOOOOOOOOOO

• August 31, 2013 at 7:26 pmhaseo0408

Petra no!!!! Damn you Female Titan, how dare you do this to Petra! I´ll see you in Hell!!!!!.

• August 31, 2013 at 7:27 pmswordhack4

• August 31, 2013 at 7:32 pmhaseo0408

Actually it´s Oh My Titan!.

• August 31, 2013 at 7:32 pmkanade_

With Eren being shocked and murmuring before his head blown off, I now know who that female titan might be…

• September 1, 2013 at 1:50 amAnnyms

I’ve had my suspicions for the past few episodes, but that moment pretty much made me think my suspicions are correct. The suspense is killing me!!!

• August 31, 2013 at 7:34 pmTremste

Mikasa snapping and going into yandere mode and teaming up with Levi. Oh boy. The female titan better get ready for what’s coming for her.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:07 pmvane

Mikasa getting insane… was beautiful :)

• August 31, 2013 at 11:14 pmhaseo0408

Never get between Mikasa and his man.

• September 7, 2013 at 3:37 pmthenightsshadow

Wait, “his”?

• August 31, 2013 at 7:35 pmEliteF22

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• August 31, 2013 at 7:48 pmSDFGS

Just like the female titan, you must have been seeing things with only one eye because that was a pretty good animated fight considering its not like a 3D maneuver scene.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:23 pmVagrant

Makes me wonder what the “benchmark” was for deciding how good that fight scene was. LOL.

Because for the budget tv series usually have, and based on the source material, that fight was pretty well done.

• September 1, 2013 at 1:30 amEliteF22

Just look at Mikasa’s ending 3dmg sequences against the female titan and compare how much more fluid the animation is. The titan brawl was about 5 min. long and most of it was still shots with pans, frame cycles and camera shakes.

• September 1, 2013 at 4:06 amVagrant

You can’t expect them to have the same guy animate both fights.

Mikasa’s fight alone was at least 840 drawings, to have the same guy do another 2,100 more for the same episode (I’m approximating here at 6-7 frames per second) is asking too much from the artist.

also I think animators who could draw fluent scenes like that get paid more than the other animators. And (if judging from experience years ago) some studios pay artists by their output of frames.

• September 1, 2013 at 4:27 amEliteF22

There’s more than one animator working on a single episode. Standard current industry practice is for the main studio to send out the layout or key frames to a secondary studio for animating all the in-betweens. Judging by all the Vietnamese names in the credits, this show follows the same practice. Those guys are the ones who get stuck with being paid on output. Could they have relied less on shortcuts to fill up the fight sequence, of course. They made a design choice. For me this being the first big titan grudge match of the show that everything’s been building to for the last 4-5 episodes, it could have been much better.

• September 1, 2013 at 5:25 pmVagrant

Go and look up something about sakuga in facebook.

The really good animators who do fluent fight scenes like Macross’ Itano roll’s… the Soul Eater and good Naruto fights, etc… are usually done by one animator for that entire segment.

Not the usual key animator and in-betweeners.

Judging from the smoothness of the Mikasa fight it’s probably just one guy handling it.

I’m thinking the Mikasa scene was handled by Arafumi Imai (much like the other 3DG scenes in previous ep). I don’t think they can make him do that and the Titan fight solo.

The titan fight must’ve been the usual key frame + in betweens. Also it’s pretty much accurate to how the manga fight went.

I agree that they could’ve done it more fluidly, but I don’t think they have the budget for it, nor can they fork over the entire sequence to the guy who did Mikasa’s.

• September 1, 2013 at 5:26 pmVagrant

gah facebook… I meant youtube. x_x

I really should pry away from Photoshop and get some shuteye LOL

• September 1, 2013 at 4:03 pmAnanas

The editing was even messier than usual, the music is the only thing holding the episode together.

• September 3, 2013 at 8:57 pmufobaby

I guess you think Naruto Kyuubi vs Pain battle animation was better right? :D

• August 31, 2013 at 7:36 pmAudric

BEST EPISODE OF ANY SHOW THIS YEAR!

• August 31, 2013 at 7:36 pmHiro

Mikasa going all bad-ass: “Eren…give Eren back to me!” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGVTmw0pTlw

• August 31, 2013 at 7:38 pmGaze of Providence

No song or tale which contains all the grief, but renowned the deeds and the victims of defeat.

• August 31, 2013 at 7:41 pmEspada

i have a crush on her
      petra ;__;

• September 1, 2013 at 3:09 amBlackShock_

Yes, Petra had, a crush on her.

• August 31, 2013 at 7:51 pmtsukioniisan

Prepare for this episode, they said. It’s going to be action-packed, they said ;___;

More like horrifying. I was gritting my teeth so much that I think I could transform into Hulk the whole time watching Levi’s squad get annihilated. And, was cheering for Eren to land AT LEAST ONE CLEAN PUNCH into that titan-hoe’s face kltjzs2oitju4oi4joiy4jyoilknc;kjhkrzsj4o

On another note, glad to see some Mikasa action this time after being in the sidelines for a long while.

• August 31, 2013 at 7:51 pmSDFGS

Hate to say it but if the first season ends on the female titan arc…its probably going to be at least 1&1/2 -2 more years until we get enough chapters to make another season without being right on the mangas’ tail.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:24 pmVagrant

I heard there were already prequels and side storirs (Levi) based on the source manag being published.

Assuming season 2 runs on the current manga arc, they’ll probably use those 2 new source materials to “buy more time” for the main story.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:43 pmSDFGS

Yeah, I heard about those too, though I only see the prequels as OVA’s since they deal with completely different characters, but the Levi spin off manga that just started could be filtered into the 2nd season at some point for filler eps. With the manga finishing two more arcs after the female titan arc there’s only enough for probably half a season right now *sighs* I was hoping to see them animate Sasha’s badass chapter she got for herself. Oh well, there’s many more 0_0 WTF? content for the second season, makes the wait all the better.

• August 31, 2013 at 10:13 pmVagrant

I’m hoping they do something similar to FMA where the manga and anime ended just about the same time… but that means the manga would be oh so short orz

• August 31, 2013 at 7:53 pmAshkem

They better not kill Christa next! NOOOO PETRA!!!!!!!

• August 31, 2013 at 8:12 pmPsithief

You’ve got to remember that this is a narrative. The top 10 of the class already had their resolve-building death in Marco, so there isn’t anyone in those 10 that’s going to up and die for no reason.

• September 4, 2013 at 9:27 amAxe Armor

I dunno, man. Jean’s pretty well set for the long haul, but Conny and Sasha have basically been comic relief side characters. They could totally die suddenly to up the stakes. It could be happening right now!

• August 31, 2013 at 9:00 pmhaseo0408

Are you out of your mind!? Don´t jinx it dude!!!.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:05 pmvane

It’s hard to say which is the best Shingeki no Kyojin episode… each new episode I change my mind and think that the latest is the best…

• August 31, 2013 at 8:05 pmechykr

Petra NOOOO! She’s the first character death I really mourn. Though she’s spared the worse fate of being munched alive by regular Titans, merely getting squished, i.e. an instant death rather than a horrifyingly protracted one where you see your own limbs slowly being bitten off one by one.

OTOH Marco’s death was like WTF just happened? His killing-off happened off-screen nobody knew what to make of it.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:08 pmShini012

… they are drawing out the episodes – first of all they waste 5 mins witha 3 min recap+OP song, then each scene seems unnaturally fleshed out, like i seriously do not care about some of the characters at this stage… but this is probably a product of the first arc, where they were dragging again.

But, overall this was a down episode for me, compared to the previous three or four episodes. There seems to be less movement in the action and the plot.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:27 pmVagrant

They probably blew the budget for this episode on that few minutes of Titan brawling and Mikasa going solo.

Also they’re trying to end season 1 at a particular point in the manga arc, which is a pretty good call, and based on that I don’t feel the pacing is suffering that bad.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:08 pmSekai

Absolutely jaw-dropping. Eren trusts his comrades, and they die. He trusts himself, and fails miserably. The suffering never stops.

It’s obvious that he’ll be fine (more or less) even after being eaten as the female titan’s been trying to capture him alive all this time, but I’ve no idea if he’ll be taken by the titans (which should get us some answers) or if he’ll be rescued. It was also rather scary hearing him swear he’d eat the titan. I wonder if that’s simply his human hatred or some fundamental titan instinct within him, though I’d guess both.

Eldo, Oluo and Petra were some of my favourite characters, and it’ll be a shame to see them go. Can’t wait to see where the story goes from here!

• September 1, 2013 at 12:57 amJel

I agree that it was pretty terrifying to hear Eren say that he’d eat the Female Titan as well. That scene was pretty creepy… Did anyone else notice how Eren’s Titan head was moving erratically in every direction?! In combination with Eren’s facial expression… shivers.

• September 4, 2013 at 1:43 amKeranu

he’s becoming more titan like. The more you do something the more you become like what you do, the same thing happens in almost every anime where a character has some sort of special transformation. They lose control, and often times if they continue to use the transformation then they will become more like what they turn into.

• September 4, 2013 at 9:47 amAxe Armor

I think threatening cannibalism is just another instance of Eren acting out, ’cause he’s an angry guy. If there was ever a time when he was going to eat someone (because he’s a titan, and not just because he’s really angry) it would have been in Trost when he was unconscious and his titan was just doing whatever it wanted, which included not eating Mikasa even when she was standing on its mouth. Instead, it punched its own head off.

It’s my suspicion that human titans and derp titans may actually have very little in common.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:12 pmLinkark07

Nooooo, Petra. Female Titan, I don’t care who you are or what your motives are, I hope you die a cruel and painful death.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:15 pmSenjougahara Hitagi

Petra.. just.. damn it! *sob*

• August 31, 2013 at 8:19 pmVagrant

Finally the episode I’ve been dreading since they animated Petra (sob sob) T_T

BUT DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!!

That episode there was definitely one for the sakuga compilations. Looks like they blew their budget on another ep.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:20 pmWuz

Eren’s scream as he turned around, realizing what was about to happen. That’s pure voice acting gold. Yuki Kaji managed to send chills down my spine.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:21 pmlolol

• August 31, 2013 at 8:33 pmalec613

fap?

• August 31, 2013 at 10:54 pmagr0n

Lawl

• September 1, 2013 at 8:41 amEidos

ken and barbie relationship right there, can’t procreate, can only fight.

• September 4, 2013 at 9:52 amAxe Armor

“Hi Ken!”
          “Hi Barbie! Do you want to see my new beach house?”
          I’ll answer you with my fists.

• August 31, 2013 at 8:22 pmKanon

That was just heart wrenching to watch, from start to finish. Even when I for a second hoped that Eren transforming might lead to humanity taking the advantage, it was all taken away in a blink of an eye and the way the episode ended really just blew me away in terms of shock value.

• August 31, 2013 at 9:04 pmMgMaster

NOOOOO!!!Petra,Eldo,Oluo :((((I’ve gotten used to them(yes,even Oluo) and now they’re gone…
      And well,sometimes you just make the wrong choices – like Eren said,if he transformed into a titan earlier I’m sure he could’ve taken the female titan down with the help of those 3,or heck,even sooner with the help of even more soldiers.But alas,it couldn’t be helped against these titans.They know so much about humans and humans know so little about them(transforming into a human then back into a titan at full strength just like,not to mention hardening certain parts of your body at will is just HAX).I’m curious how Eren will get over their deaths.

At any rate,great episode,SnK’s definitely come a long way since it’s dreaded Trost arc.

• August 31, 2013 at 9:06 pminferno

OMG, I don’t care how, somehow revive the levi squad. Their fight was epic. And then their death was mindblowing. Can’t believe they just killed them off like this. I almost threw my laptop out the window.

And the titan fight, lol, it was good, I can almost feel eren’s anger rushing out from the screen. And there we have it, mikasa in (give me back) eren mode. And the quiet levi after seeing the death of his squad. Yeah, the female titan is gonna get hell next ep.

• September 1, 2013 at 12:45 pmhaseo0408

I´m gathering the dragon balls to fullfil the wish, would ypu help me?. XD

• September 1, 2013 at 2:47 pminferno

It’s a done deal, count me in!

• August 31, 2013 at 9:07 pminfo600

Oh wow did this episode embodied the manga, it’s brutal (the deaths) and heavy (the brawl), and it is GOOD.

And I can’t wait for next week for the “one man show” (if it’s going where I think it’s going right now)

• August 31, 2013 at 9:08 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Aside from Petra ( =( ), the episode also shows that you can’t always predict how things will turn out, much less expect things to turn out for the best. Choices have to be made and people won’t always make the right one, and even if they do make the “right” decision, it doesn’t mean it won’t come without sacrifice (as talked about a couple episodes ago). You just have to not let yourself wallow in self-pity (like Eren was thinking about) and let it consume you, but try to learn from the “mistake”.

As Erwin pointed out, they made the mistake of basing their plans around what little they know of Eren as a Titan, and while much of it was probably helpful, they didn’t initially consider others like him simply being more adept at it, like we see with the female Titan and, most likely, the Colossal and Armored Titans, simply because they have much more experience and control in comparison to Eren. So all they can do is learn from that mistake and, despite how hard it must be with the losses, make sure to think differently in the future.

• August 31, 2013 at 9:09 pmKira526

You think I’d know not to get my hopes up when watching an episode titled “Crushing Blow”. I was still hoping Levi would charge in and at least save someone but fate is just not on their side right now. The female titan’s skills just make me rage at this point. Every time she reveals another special ability I think: “Wow that’s cool… CAN SOMEONE PLEASE KILL HER?” Or at least find a way to legitimately capture her this time. I feel like I’m losing right alongside humanity every time she kills someone else. Quite the heart stopping cliffhanger… Can’t wait for the epic team-up between Levi and Mikasa next week!

• September 4, 2013 at 1:46 amKeranu

that’s the point, they’re showcasing the female titan and her powers right now, so that more than likely the main character can take her out in a long drawn out battle of skill and abilities

• August 31, 2013 at 9:35 pmCheng

PETRA!!!! (ToT)

• August 31, 2013 at 9:41 pmGG

NOOO PETRA!!! whyy?! =((

• August 31, 2013 at 9:44 pmEntrav

Holy crap did this episode pump me up. Fantastic execution of all the parts and the budget saving episodes have finally come to bring us something truly amazing.

DEM TITAN VS TITAN ACTION.

• August 31, 2013 at 9:48 pmVincent

The moment the 3 of them said “We’ll take down the giant”, I saw them death flags as clear as day. But I thought maybe I’m wrong. I hope I’m wrong. No it can’t be. NOOOOOO. WHYYYY??!! :(

• August 31, 2013 at 10:08 pmVagrant

They give you false hope after showing how coordinated their attacks were, only to be followed by crushing defeat…

Then Eren goes Titan, vengeance! Then another crushing defeat… Then we get Mikasa going wild + Levi…

makes you wonder where the pattern will stop x_x

• August 31, 2013 at 10:00 pmmowel

the fact that eren’s efforts and the special op squad’s effort seemed to be all futile just fcking irritates me. FCK YOU female titan

• August 31, 2013 at 10:14 pmGrahav

OP and cheap as hell. I was also fucking angry.

About Erin’s and the squad’s decision for him leaving the fighting:
        The classical problem of having only one of a really important item/weapon/soldier, when and how to use it? In trying to zero the chances of losing Erin they lost everyone.
        Other factors. Erin may have been hesitant not only for the faith that he decided to put in his companions, but also, for his lack of titan experience, and because when he rushed the titans for the first time it took a medical experimetation performed previously on a child to regrow his limbs.
        Also, there was an element of pride in the rest of the squad. They wanted to show that they were strong, that they needn’t Erin’s titanic ass carrying them around.
        If everyone fought together they could have taken her down.
        Now it is on the hands of badass normal duo.

• August 31, 2013 at 11:18 pmmowel

i just hope mikasa and levi would kick that asshole/traitor’s butt
          and mikasa was really awesome <3

• August 31, 2013 at 10:17 pmJel

These were the most depressing deaths in the whole series to date. I would say Marco after Levi’s Squad.

What a roller coaster ride. First we see Levi’s Squad epically taking down the Female Titan while coordinating with each other without words, the next scene we see them completely annihilated, the scene of their death frequently flashing in the episode. Never has the deaths looked so disgusting and horrid.

Also, sad that the preview was just recycled scenes from the episode.

• August 31, 2013 at 10:29 pmpaulrenzo

From what I’ve seen so far, the sad thing about this series (and the manga), is that the moment you get to really know (and even like) the characters…BAM, they’re dead.

• August 31, 2013 at 10:57 pmagr0n

Eren really should learn how to harden his skin so that way he doesn’t have to heal after every single punch.

• September 1, 2013 at 12:37 pmhaseo0408

The guy can barely control his titan form and you´re asking him to learn a new ability? He´s not a pokemon.

• September 1, 2013 at 12:50 pmKing

Its the people that was around him fault, there were afraid of eren powers and didnt allow eren to fully experiment/transform more often during the 1 month break before leaving the walls. Yea eren needs a goal to trasform, but still, could have do some sort of training.

• September 1, 2013 at 1:44 pmMacrossFan

@King, the most probable reason why Eren didn’t undergo any Titan training is because he needed to train for the expedition like the rest of the new recruits. Every time he transforms, he’s bedridden for several days. Also, getting permission for him to transform inside the walls would probably be very difficult.

• September 1, 2013 at 7:22 pmhaseo0408

Difficult? Try impossible. He got off from a death sentence because they need him, that´s all, you can count that the Scouting Legion is not the only one watching his every move, the moment he tries to transform most likely an entire army will rain down on him.

• August 31, 2013 at 11:31 pmTerrorhunt

When the Fem-tan swallowed Eren, my roomie kept saying “vore” (I think that’s how it spelt?). Do I want to know what does it mean?

• September 1, 2013 at 12:10 amRob

No. No you don’t.

• September 4, 2013 at 9:59 amAxe Armor

From Latin “vorare” (“to eat”). Ex. carnivore, “flesh eater”. In this context, it refers to a sexual fetish.

• August 31, 2013 at 11:43 pmDrift

Gunter, Petra, Eldo, and Oluo Nuuuuuu (yes, unlike everyone else I didn’t just like Petra but mourned over everybody else *shocked*)

But I must say, from the way the author were building them up and making them likable, I saw it coming.

• August 31, 2013 at 11:44 pmkabayongtao

Petra you should’ve regrouped!!!

• September 1, 2013 at 12:51 amJeroz

She was doing follow up strike right behind Eldo. There’s literally no time to react. She’s already doing tremendously well by being able to pull away a bit.

• September 1, 2013 at 12:22 amReianz

Haven’t had this rush of adrenaline since episode 5 of Titan. Definitely a great episode!

P.S.

Very unfortunate to have to see Petra go… (T_T)

• September 1, 2013 at 1:05 amjames

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• September 1, 2013 at 6:35 amSDFGS

Reasons why “I” am sad over Petra’s death.
        1) Right when she along with the other squad members and Eren begin to trust one another, this happens.
        2) She may have not had much screen time but honestly neither has Sasha lately and we would all go bawlz over if she were to die (I’m just throwing that out there, its just hypothetical)
        3) She appeared to have been a genuinely nice person and had the sister/mother role of the squad….if you discount Levi’s cleaning obsession.
        4) Like Eren realized, her death, along with the others, could have been avoided if he transformed back earlier back then.
        5 (the biggest one)….well….I won’t say since its a spoiler but this is the biggest reason why people are sad over her death because they’ll reveal it in a later episode. It was about Petra’s “Goal” in life or what she wanted to do after getting back from the female titan mission.

• September 1, 2013 at 1:59 pmMacrossFan

Mostly agree. I don’t think Petra had a sister/mother role within the squad, but she was definitely an older sister type to Eren in how she always explained things to him and it was easy to see how much he didn’t want to disappoint her by following her pleas. If anything, I would have loved to see Mikasa’s reaction to seeing how obedient Eren is toward Petra (vs. how he always yells back at Mikasa).

But as for the whole squad, it was so hard to see them go. I think they genuinely wanted to accept Eren into their group (by their playful banter) as they continued to work their fears of his Titan form. Even Auruo wanted Eren’s respect and admiration by how he was always showing off in front of him. Just as Eren was starting to get comfortable with his new squad they were so coldly ripped away.

• September 1, 2013 at 3:03 pmAnanas

She’s cute.

• September 1, 2013 at 5:31 pmVagrant

Mostly same as the above but also they were introduced late into the story.

But despite the late introduction, they had the potential to be really good characters. The scenes they were in, was, in a way building them up.

It’s sad that they get killed off before they can be developed into full characters, such as Levi.

Would’ve been nice to have Levi and his group, and Eren and his.

Maybe in the Levi spin-off, they’ll get more development.

• September 1, 2013 at 1:53 amJust A Random Guy

It’s funny how things work out with Eren’s emotions. After he made he’s decision, he obviously regrets it after seeing Levi’s whole squad of elite titan killers get wiped out. The funny thing is, if he had transformed into a titan back when he first saw the Female Titan, he would not have had the same rage he has now going up against it. I’m sure either way it would have had the same result.

• September 1, 2013 at 2:11 amCatsrofl

I screamed like a raging titan this episode… and my immediate rage said fuck whoever is inside, KILL IT! But then I calmed down and its still bleh. Looks like things are finally ramping up again or rather the buildup from past few episodes exploded. Now I really can’t wait for next week!
      May they all rest in peace…

• September 1, 2013 at 3:23 amAndmeuths

GIVE REI AYANAMI EREN BACK!

• September 1, 2013 at 4:13 ambaseone

So talking about piss is the new death flag trigger. Judging from the titan fight, the female titan is the agility type while Eren is the full strength type.

• September 1, 2013 at 5:34 pmVagrant

A mix of agility and experienced fighting. You could see her combat moves were much more refined than Erens.

Punch + block, grapple, jumping roundhouse(?), etc.

Although the part about Eren being strength type is interesting. I was thinking she was dodging/escaping to give her time to heal. But part of the animation also suggested she looks stunned at something about Eren’s titan form.

Something that wasn’t shown clearly in the manga.

• September 2, 2013 at 2:32 amMisk

Actually, I noticed this in manga as well, she indeed looked scared.

• September 1, 2013 at 4:43 amkabayongtao

Quite interesting to see that the female titan’s blood sprayed at Mikasa’s face steamed up fading away.

• September 1, 2013 at 5:22 amThe17thNoah

Oh god, I never thought I would see such a scene animated. I’ve always wanted to see a scrape bite along a dodged punch and here it is!!! (☍ヮ⁰)

• September 1, 2013 at 5:25 amPixis

This ep got my hands flailing like an ass and I even grew hair on my head just to rip it off during the fight scenes….and I also dropped my liquior while watching

• September 2, 2013 at 7:26 pmRico

Sir, I hope you weren’t cheering for the female titan Sir.

• September 6, 2013 at 7:39 pmPixis

I go for the one with bigger bewbs and nicer hair hahahaha

• September 1, 2013 at 5:37 amThe21stRussian

Did George R.R. Martin write this manga?

• September 1, 2013 at 7:07 amselma

hhh I had the same thought, between George R.R Martin and hajime isayama I wonder who is the most heartless, I guess i wld be a tie

• September 1, 2013 at 9:29 amAndmeuths

A collaboration between Isayama and Martin would be a match made in heaven. As unrealistic as it is.

• September 1, 2013 at 11:09 amAxel

If there ever was an Isayama and Martin collaboration…

We all would be writhing on our bedroom floors in utter anguish, sobbing into sob blankets, and begging not to live on this planet anymore… Every episode. They are monsters. Lol.

• September 1, 2013 at 12:39 pmhaseo0408

Tell that to the Starks, they sure have a bone or two to pick with Martin.

• September 1, 2013 at 5:35 pmVagrant

Martin, Isayama, and Whedon join forces to create a new series.

Everybody you love is dead.

• September 3, 2013 at 9:45 amLaughingMan

No. George R.R. Martin knows how to make you actually care about his characters and give them depth and proper development before he kills them off. Isayama relies solely on shock value. The very idea that you’d compare this series to A Song of Ice and Fire is just laughable.

• September 1, 2013 at 6:58 amselma

this was a perfectly well executed episode ! it w

• September 1, 2013 at 7:04 amselma

it was sooo thrilling I cldn’t keep myself very long from reading the manga, I’v only read it recently and I feared that the enjoyment of watching the anime would drop but I ws totally wrong it’s the first time that I enjoy an anime even after reading its manga, this is really a feat for the shigeki anime team we’v got to hand it to them, really best adaptation ever

• September 1, 2013 at 7:37 amtrolo

I have a weird crush on the Female Titan.

• September 1, 2013 at 7:55 pmshifobrains

The Female Titan had a crush on Levi’s squad.

I’ll see myself out.

• September 1, 2013 at 9:57 amGilgamesh92

Holy shit! One of the best anime episodes period.

• September 1, 2013 at 10:18 amgeekTroperaku

FINALLY! We get a nice fully animated fight scene. I was really tired of watching so-called action scenes that consists of blurry still shots with characters screaming in the background.

• September 1, 2013 at 11:59 amaria

oh man, should have known that everyone reminiscing about their first mission in the last episode was tripping death flags all over the place
      T_T

• September 4, 2013 at 11:53 amAxe Armor

You can still afford a modicum of shock. I don’t think any of the squad really had a lot of inherent development potential, but this series plants so many death flags that sometimes it forgets about a few. Like, remember the crazy-eyed officer back in Trost? He’s like some no-name boss you thrash at the end of a level in Fire Emblem, but he’s still around. And then there’s Captain “Death Flag” Hannes. Mild spoilers, but Show Spoiler ▼

• September 1, 2013 at 12:16 pmfishies

I really liked Auruo at the end because he had to suffer watching all his comrades die and be the last one alive. The fact that he still fought when he could’ve retreated and probably should’ve tried to protect Eren, even if out of rage, earned my respect for him as he continued to fight despite being the last one. I thought it was pretty brave considering most would turn tail if they saw all their friends drop easily against an enemy little understood. Eldo I thought was a great leader of the squad and it was sad to see him go so sudden. Just trying to add balance to all the Petra sympathizers.

• September 1, 2013 at 12:51 pmKing

One of the best episodes so far, RIP -Petra-.

100th comment

• September 1, 2013 at 2:22 pmbakakubi

It may be just how her facial expression may be, but I love the fact that the expression of fear the female titan hand on when she fought Eren. It looks like she’s about to piss herself.

• September 1, 2013 at 2:34 pmMi-Chan

having returned from holidays only few hours ago, watching this episode had drained all the energy from my body, I can’t possibly keep up with the trauma this anime causes, thanks for your review as always, Cheers, M.

• September 1, 2013 at 2:49 pmMagoiichi

• September 1, 2013 at 2:50 pmGuy Jin

Despite I felt sorry for everyone [including Petra :(], what I really like in Shingeki is that ANYONE may be death next episode. War is war, bro.

• September 1, 2013 at 3:55 pmDomo-kun

Intense

• September 1, 2013 at 7:46 pmjeroz

why did the subbers titled it “Crushing Blow” when the kanji clearly says “Hammer”? is it another commie prank again?

• September 2, 2013 at 2:31 amMisk

Both Crunchyroll and Funimation has it as ‘Crushing Blow’

• September 1, 2013 at 9:16 pmGekokujou

We should’ve seen this coming with Gunther’s death from last week…

• September 1, 2013 at 11:30 pmNymphetamine2791

Man, That’s like what- the third time Mikasa has witnessed and believed family died? I swear, if Eren gets eaten a third time she’s just gonna go ape shit all over the place, lol.

• September 2, 2013 at 1:01 amHeisenburg

Was an exciting episode… damn Oluo got kicked, Eldo chomped and Petra got the crushing blow. Female Titan did some samurai chop to Eren’s head. Whoever the driver is, she’s one crazy bitch. Lol. Petra’s death took the cake in this episode.

• September 2, 2013 at 7:27 amc2710

This is turning out to be one of the most depressing shows of the season

Each time you get attached to a character, he/she gets killed off

• September 2, 2013 at 10:30 amSherylfan

Man I don’t know how this show will end. At this point its gonna be go read the manga cliffhanger. I hope it’s good enough that they will continue for more seasons(heard plenty enough material for second season). Take a year or few off but continue. I dont want another brother hood (well I do but it’s gonna be awhile), where it gets remade in almost a decade later. or go into limbo like nana, skip beat and claymore.

This is definitely one of my fav shows but can also be one of the most disappointing if anime original ending or cliffhanger with no intention to keep going happens.

• September 2, 2013 at 6:05 pmHeisenburg

I also do hope this series ends..but that would be dependant if the manga doesn’t turn into a long winded story.

• September 2, 2013 at 4:42 pmZandy

For the second time Mikasa is ready to kill Levi

• September 2, 2013 at 5:47 pmArxeous

Honestly, Mikasa would not even be able to lay a finger on Levi, Because he is light years ahead in feild experience and he has the one thing that keeps Mikasa from being stronger, control over his emotions, you don’t see him rushing towards the enemy, he waits and plans his strikes something which Mikasa lacks in certain conditions especially if the reason she is gonna kill him is over Eren.

• September 2, 2013 at 6:02 pmDanny

Mikasa was way too badass in this.

• September 2, 2013 at 6:35 pmLaughingMan

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• September 2, 2013 at 10:26 pmTwsit

Yeah man I know!
        I can’t believe I.G would waste their time on anime that literally is sweeping the industry off it’s feet in terms of praise and success. The only manga currently giving One Piece a run for it’s money, the only show this year year to break 70k for a it’s Blu-disc+DVD volumes.

Seriously I.G, why don’t you guys just do generic full female cast pandering shows like the rest of the industry? Why do you have to make different and unique stuff like Gargantia, Psycho-Pass, Shingeki, Genshiken, Diamond no Ace and Ghost in the Shell: Arise in the same year?

• September 3, 2013 at 2:57 amLaughingMan

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• September 3, 2013 at 8:57 amActus

The characters are indeed killed off for no apparent reason. I do understand that the deaths of Levi’s subordinates are employed to force Eren into a self-deprecating reflection. However, the execution of the scene is laughable. Sure, believing in your comrades is important and so is trying to protect them, but everyone there is expected to act as a soldier. Death on the battlefield is a common occurrence, and evidently, Eren fails to realise this crucial point. Eren’s objective is to reach the rendez-vous point. By turning back and fighting the female titan, he is merely an attempt to satisfy his own little ego; a pathetic attempt which ended in failure.

• September 3, 2013 at 9:19 amLaughingMan

THANK YOU. The entire scene is nothing but forced drama and the characters serve as nothing but plot devices simply to make Eren more willing to use his Titan powers. If Isayama is gonna kill off his characters in such a dramatic way, then he needs to remember to give them depth and development BEFORE he does so.

• September 4, 2013 at 2:05 amKeranu

You have to understand that eren is a kid, he’s 15 at best facing monsters that eat humans just for fun, and then suddenly he’s has powers that can turn the tide of everything. You honestly cant tell me that if you saw your friends get killed right in front of you, and if you had the power to stop whatever killed them, you wouldnt? He’s a scared child who thinks he can make a difference. He isnt as old as levi or the others, nor has he seen much combat and how you should act on the battlefield. He did what any vengeful person would do with powers…get revenge.

• September 4, 2013 at 7:21 amActus

@Keranu

Perhaps Eren is a 15 year old child, but he is a trained soldier. It cannot be denied that he had been trained just for the task of killing giants – that was what the first 17-18 odd episodes were about. If that is not enough training, then the first 17-18 episodes would be all for naught.

Secondly, he had seen enough of combat. He was trained just for the purpose of fighting titans. He experienced the first invasion of the titans. He fought back the titans when they struck again. That is enough combat for all purposes to actually enable any reasonable person to realise that fighting titans isn’t as simple or easy as thought prior to the first invasion; soldiers die, and that is the reality of all conflict.

Thirdly, he is trained to analyse a situation and act accordingly. His orders were to head to the rendez-vous point and not to fight. Fighting the titan is a clear act of insubordination. It is immaterial whether or not he wishes to exact revenge.

Also, the situation clearly does not indicate that Eren’s power could turn the tide of anything. Not only is his power unstable and underdeveloped, it is severely limited in scope as well: there are hundreds if not thousands of titans out there, but all he could handle was less than 30. That clearly is not enough power to turn the tide of anything.

• September 2, 2013 at 11:24 pmRyzkyJaeger

The female Titan better know what happened to the Titan that first swallowed Eren!

• September 3, 2013 at 7:43 amDefade

I was wondering why there was the increase of reused animations this episode – but the 3D maneuver gear scenes absolutely blew my mind. The animation studio continues to deliver some of the best action scenes in the year, and that definitely justifies a few reused animations and lengthened stills…as long as they maintain it at this level.

But wow, this episode was as much of a feast for the eyes as it was a hammer blow to the hearts. As a non-manga reader who has been spoiled about this episode by Animate’s amazing choice of ‘Shingeki no Kyojin sample read’(the whole Levi team vs female Titan fight, which also happened to spoil Eren’s Titan transformation for me back when the anime was still on episode 3 or so??? why they chose such a spoilerific chapter still remains beyond me), I’ve been dreading this episode as soon as the anime got to the point where I could put 2 and 2 together, and it really didn’t help that Eren’s interactions with the rest of the Levi team with all their eccentricities secured them a firm place in my heart.

Petra ;_

Mikasa and Levi teaming up next episode…fortunately I still remain unspoiled about the outcome of this whole female Titan business, so that’s something I’m definitely looking forward to.

• September 3, 2013 at 9:17 pmKidokuOuyou

• September 3, 2013 at 10:13 pmDflowen

HAHAHA that is so funny. Did the artist make other send offs for the others?

• September 4, 2013 at 1:47 amKidokuOuyou

I don’t now, I found it randomly on facebook. How could you lol at this, I’ve got teary eyes when I first stumble on this fanart

• September 4, 2013 at 2:11 amKeranu

Not gonna lie, this pic makes me happy. Because they’re all together again, laughing and poking fun at each other. Just cause you’re dead doesn’t mean its the end.

• September 4, 2013 at 12:05 pmDflowen

Its funny cause they got a nice send off picture. The four of them are like, “Thanks for everything too bad we got the call for a red shirt.”

• September 4, 2013 at 11:38 amleatherhead333

How come no one cares about anyone else in levi’s squad besides petra? :(.

Oluo is the one I’m going to miss the most.

• September 4, 2013 at 12:09 pmDflowen

I care for the guy who got wire-spin tossed by female titan. That poor soul went out like a trooper. God Bless that soldier. What you think Hikigerma? LOL. No more “Tongue-Biting” Oluo.

• September 5, 2013 at 7:10 amtadambam

I don’t see why they’re taking so long revealing the driver of the female titan. It’s pretty obvious it’s Annie, we haven’t seen her this whole arc, she looks exactly like the female titan, and she gets a special close up and evil look in the OP.

• September 8, 2013 at 11:03 amEbisu

When the fight between Eren and her started, it dawned on me it had to be her. That prowess in hand-to-hand combat just confirmed it. But then someone in the military police must be in. Going to see the next one right now.

• September 5, 2013 at 7:13 amtadambam

I haven’t read the manga nor have I been spoiled, so it’s mere speculation: though it’s pretty obvious IMO.

• September 5, 2013 at 2:04 pmDflowen

I concur. They drag the story because there running out of material to animate. IMO.

• September 6, 2013 at 9:32 pmmythnut

…And yet, as the dust settles, Erwin, Levi, Mikasa, and Armin (my personal short-list of critical talents or potential-talents – maybe add Hanji) are all alive. Meanwhile, the Female Titan has surrendered at least four crucial secrets, trump cards all of them, to get where she is now. If it turns out Eren is indeed alive, I think we can chalk this one up as a failure for the Titan side.
      How many times did surprise save the Female Titan’s ass this time around? And knowing our heroes, every single thing that surprised them this time will be absolutely countered in the future. I love a good arms race.