« Noragami – 11

Noragami   12   28 Noragami   12   29 Noragami   12   30
Noragami   12   31 Noragami   12   32 Noragami   12   33
Noragami   12   34 Noragami   12   35 Noragami   12   36
Noragami   12   37 Noragami   12   38 Noragami   12   39
Noragami   12   40 Noragami   12   41 Noragami   12   42
Noragami   12   43 Noragami   12   44 Noragami   12   45

「一片の記憶」 (Hitohira no Kioku)
“Scrap of a Memory”

There’s a little bit of tragedy, action and bittersweetness all wrapped up in Noragami’s finale. What I loved about it was how conclusive it was without being too unbelievable and cliché. There was a happy ending, but I didn’t feel like it was too corny or forced and as an anime original ending, it seemed rather fitting. No obscure moments or plot holes and although Rabou wasn’t the most unique villain out there, he played out his role well as a true opponent for Yato. In hindsight, knowing that Rabou is an anime-only character, it does feel like he was only created to wrap the end of the first season neatly without diving too far into the next arc of the manga. However, it certainly doesn’t drive the anime into a different direction that would ruin its chances of a second season. There’s a lot of potential to branch into a new season with this cast and storyline, but as a standalone season, I also think it was very satisfactory.

I’ll admit that the episode was a lot more heartwarming than I thought. It was very action-packed with tons of great sequences, but my favorite scenes were actually the moments that featured more of Yato and Hiyori. From the moment that she pulled him out of the bubble, to the semi-confessions at the end, I would accept that as my romantic dose for the series. The entire episode felt like it was meant to draw out the connection that Yato and Hiyori have which is more than just friendship. It extends beyond the boundaries that even Nora could understand and although it was pretty much a given, Hiyori manages to find her way back to Yato on her own. Yes – it’s cheesy, but sometimes that’s just what you need to truly make you believe that they’re meant to be. I can also appreciate that Yuki also didn’t seem as bratty or annoying as he usually is. His character actually added more to the episode than I thought so he’s not completely useless. He’s much more of a man now than I gave him credit for.

Now that Rabou is gone, I can only imagine that the next arc forward would feature more of Bishamon. She’s the only character that got very little screen time; but just enough that leaves you curious as to her history with Yato. On the other hand, Rabou’s character was given a lot of depth in his final appearance and it shows the extent it takes to eliminate another God. Yato, not only kills Shinki, but apparently he’s capable of taking down other Gods as well which only strengthens that title of “God of Calamity” if you ask me. The difference is, Yato has made a conscious effort to change and that’s where Hiyori and Yuki come in. It’s a shame that someone like Yato is so desperate to be someone else and he wants to save his money to become a better God… but he can’t because he is who he is. And the little money that he has – he spends on Hiyori (adorable by the way!). It’s such an uphill battle for him, but that’s what makes his story – or this story of Noragami.

Bottom Line – @RCCherrie: Omg I nearly teared up for that finale =D quite satisfied with the series overall and very well worth the watch #Noragami #Finale

Final Impressions

I’ll admit that it’s been a while since I’ve blogged a show that I’ve enjoyed so consistently week after week. Noragami is one of those shows that delivers fun, and excitement every week without being too much and sticking to a great setting. The characters and the setting for the show are amazingly straightforward while still being fairly original – all things considering. I thought Yato and Hiyori have a great duo dynamic (as seem in my post above) and the show does a great job in developing their relationship without being forced or out of character. The side characters also all get a chance to shine some way or another so keep your eyes on them. Each of them have an interesting past and their connections with Yato make for either a love or hate relationship. I thought these were one of the elements that kept the show going because there is no concrete plot (like in adventure or mystery anime) so it’s more like a glance at the cast of Noragami.

The animation has been one of the best I’ve seen in a while – being a BONES production, I am not surprised and I am not disappointed by any means. It delivered exactly what I thought it would and as a one-cour show, I think Noragami does itself justice. Obviously, it does have anime-original aspects in it, but it doesn’t deteriorate from the enjoyment of the show or the ending and that’s rare for anime that deviated from their source material. There’s a lot of potential here, especially if it’s ever brought back for a second season but it doesn’t leave the audience feeling abandoned by a cliff-hanger or anything. There’s an immerse range of emotions that this show brings out from excitement to love to even strong hatred , but I think that just shows how much this anime has accomplished in its short run. Definitely a great watch for this past winter season!

March 24, 2014 at 9:07 pm
  • March 24, 2014 at 9:09 pmstarss

This ending was SO satisfying! They 3 love each other SO much!

• March 24, 2014 at 10:06 pmretsurai

yup, and yato is a god so he tells what is and is not acceptable. and now I (Yatogami) say its fine for a god and a human to have a romantic relationship!! LOL

• March 24, 2014 at 9:29 pmRaven

Enjoyed every episode. Having read the manga, it was a very smart way they wrapped up this season with the slight foreshadow, “the father”. Considering even the manga hasn’t flush out this character, it makes me want to see the story continue in manga and anime.

Bravo to the screenwriters and the studio; very rarely do one find an anime adaption that complements the manga, or with such good story telling week after week. The character interactions between Yato, Yukine, Hiyori were enjoyable to say the least.

Can’t wait to SEASON 2!!!! Want to see the other Gods and Bishamon arc!

• March 24, 2014 at 9:44 pmewok40k

“I want to be with you forever!” “Your wish has been granted!”
    One of best confession exchanges ever.

• March 24, 2014 at 10:48 pm~fineyristensen

He charged her for it lol !!!

• March 25, 2014 at 1:44 amTassadar

If you are good at something, never do it for free!

• March 25, 2014 at 6:41 amYato

xP

• March 25, 2014 at 9:25 pmEuzio

Its a good thing he did not show her a magic trick after then :P

• March 24, 2014 at 9:44 pmtitus

*throws coin* I pray to thee, Yato, that you will grant my wish and usher forth a Season 2 where you finally duke it out Bishamon. And give Hiyori a smooch already. The UST is killing me.

• March 24, 2014 at 9:56 pmPancakes

For an anime-original ending, this was pretty well done. No loose ends, everything all but returns to how it was before.

All in all Noragami was a fun ride. The animation was good and consistent and the story was not rushed through nor became disjointed/confusing (something featured prevalently in some other shows this season). Only real negatives are the lack of any significant character development beyond Yuki and (in these final episodes) Yato. Hiyori is still relatively flat character, but makes up for it (when she shows it) in her interactions with Yato. Basically Noragami bit off just enough to properly flesh out a single cour run, no small feat.

Overall gets a 7/10 from me, it ain’t perfect, but it’s definitely deserving of a second season (especially with how well that anime-original story was handled).

• March 24, 2014 at 10:05 pmzztop

Noragami’s 2nd BD comes with a short manga by Adachitoka, featuring Rabou and a young Yato drinking together in ancient times.

Concept art of Rabou:

• March 24, 2014 at 10:17 pmVsAllGaming

I loved this episode and I thought this was a fantastic ending.
    Noragami was definitely a series I loved from start to finish.
    I’m so hoping for a season 2 but till then I’ll definitely read the manga.

• March 24, 2014 at 10:17 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bishamon immediately jumps to the conclusion that what happened was all Yato’s doing (as soon as she heard it was a “god of calamity” that was causing the storm, without listening to other explanations) and only goes to heighten the tension of whenever the two settle their differences.

• March 24, 2014 at 10:36 pmWaywardoto004

Did anyone else get major Sword of the Stranger vibes from that last fight scene?

• April 4, 2014 at 12:17 amMormegil

I knew it wasn’t just me! I wonder if it was the same animator.

• March 24, 2014 at 10:43 pmmagoiichi

I reaaaaaaaaaally wanted the bishamon arc animated, it’s so good ;/ The anime original was good though.

• March 24, 2014 at 11:22 pmDualash

Yeah, its too bad the anime only gave Bishamon a small appearance, but maybe there’ll be a season two and we’ll see more of her and Kazuma.

• March 25, 2014 at 11:59 amCherrie

The fact that they even gave her 1.5 episodes of screen time (in such a short series) tells me that they have intentions of showing her arc. I don’t know much of it myself (I haven’t read the manga) but if they did animate a second season, hers will probably be first.

• March 24, 2014 at 10:52 pm~fineyristensen

Yato and Hiyori are so sweet together :x

All in all I gotta agree with Cherrie, great show, probably one of the best of the whole year !

• March 25, 2014 at 11:53 amCherrie

The year has just started =) Shouldn’t be so quick the judge AOTY haha! But it was a great start for BONES this year ^^

• March 30, 2014 at 8:33 am~fineyristensen

I didnt mean it is THE anime of the year lol, I mean its quite likely one of the best shows of the whole year, like TOP 10 !!

• March 24, 2014 at 11:25 pmzztop

The manga has plenty of interesting developments even after Bishamon’s arc.

• March 25, 2014 at 12:18 amMisk

Best show of the winter season for me, hands down.

• March 25, 2014 at 1:46 amTassadar

Noragami was great overall. As you said Cherrie, consistent weekly entertainment without many lows and a lot of highs, imo. Thanks a lot for your blogging!

• March 25, 2014 at 11:54 amCherrie

Thanks for reading!! Enjoyed reading everyone’s comments every week as well ^^

• March 25, 2014 at 2:43 amDvalinn

Considering how character-driven this show is, it’s good to see the action is once again merely a vehicle for a story that allows our main trio to grow closer once again. An odd trio comprised of flawed people, but one I really learned to like during the course of this show.

Noragami as a series may not be completely perfect, but it was a solid show that was better than I expected. I’d say it was one of the better shows of the season too. Guess I’ll have to hope for a sequel, because I’d like to see more of these three.

• March 25, 2014 at 3:43 amswordhack4

Favorite series this past anime season……The ending was SO satisfying. Nora making a brief mention of “Father”….I’ll keep it at that for now, but hopefully that results in Season 2.

And finally When Yato went full badass on Rabou…….just….wow….

• March 25, 2014 at 4:16 ambukszie

Obvious Rabou never watched anime or he would have known to never piss off someone who is obviously trying to hold baack

• March 25, 2014 at 4:25 amswordhack4

He had to defeat Rabou to retrieve Hiyori’s memory. I don’t think he was trying to “hold back”, not to mention Yato stated previously that if he held back, then Rabou would kill him. He just wasn’t at his fullest potential because of whatever changes he had after the era they were in.

It’s like Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho or Aang in Avatar. They fight to what they believe is their full potential, but until a friend is hurt, they achieve their maximum potential.

• March 25, 2014 at 5:49 amOwaranai

I can’t help but be reminded of a very similar scenario in Rurouni Kenshin. MC with dark past is haunted by antagonist in his dark past, holds something precious to him hostage to revive the killer within him (Jinei style). That being said, I love how the finale was being executed.

Haven’t been commenting on the series, but on the whole I’ve been really impressed with how the flow of the story went, especially the episodes where Yato took all that hurting from Yukine, thus forming an even stronger relationship then before. It was a short twelve episodes, but a very satisfying season. Hope there’s more for season two, especially since they didn’t have the time to develop some side characters even more, i.e. Bishamon and her grudge with Yato.

• March 25, 2014 at 6:11 amZJZJ

It was a very enjoyable ride =D Thank you Cherrie for blogging this show!

• March 25, 2014 at 6:22 amsealouse

Oh jeez it’s over. For now. I considered this last arc like a mini movie because that’s what it felt like. Original and very well done. Looking forward to the continuation.

• March 25, 2014 at 7:37 amGennuy

Rabou: “Come”
    Yato: “You come to me”
    That moment I thought Yato is super cool. Like his old-self than his current be.

• March 25, 2014 at 7:43 amonion warrior

Wow…Rabo is sure…clingy. Its been like over centuries long and he still havent through with Yato lol…even i felt irritated with his as Yato did XDD

Its over? seriously? Will we be getting season two?? I want some Bisha and Kazuma’s stories yet :(((…and more YatoXHiyori’s moment~!

• March 25, 2014 at 9:34 amBaKaYaRou

Anime is really good but there are still a lot of question and mystery that remains. Hoping for a second season here specially for the…

• March 25, 2014 at 9:50 amzztop

• March 25, 2014 at 2:20 pmRS456

Ended way too soon. I hope there is a season 2.

• March 25, 2014 at 2:22 pmrandom viewer

I didn’t watch much of the winter season animes, but I’m glad I picked this up. I agree it is worth the watch and would recommend it to others. And for it to be blogged on RC with these screenshots as keepsake is another enjoyment in itself:
    Just D’aww~ And I hope there will be an OVA at least in the long run.

• March 25, 2014 at 3:24 pmzztop

Yato’s battle catchphrase contains the words, ‘Toyoashihara no Nakatsukuni (豊葦原中国)’, which in Shinto myth is an archaic way of referring to the world between heaven and the underworld.

Literally meaning ‘The middle country of reed beds’, this is an ancient way of referring to Japan. Subs have translated it as ‘the land of the rising sun’.

• March 29, 2014 at 5:38 amzztop

Full line of Yato’s battle catchphrase:
      来い!雪器!
      koi! sekki!
      豊葦原中津国
      toyoashihara-no-nakatsukuni
      荒びたらせむ禍のものよ
      arabitarasemu ka no mono yo
      我、夜ト神きたり降り
      ware, yatogami kitariori
      雪器を以って砕き伏せる
      sekki wo motte kudakifuseru
      草々の障り穢れを打ち払わん!
      kusagusa no sawarikegare wo uchiharawan!

• March 25, 2014 at 3:28 pmJason Isenberg

The ending was so cute that cute doesn’t even cut it. Hiyori and Yato…cutest couple of the year right now, that confession make me go “D’AWWWWWWWW!”. What a great series this was, glad I picked it up again lol

• March 25, 2014 at 8:19 pmKinji

I enjoy whole episode, from the very first until the very last! Man, this should not have season 2. IT A MUST! Yato x Hiyori as the closure is just HNNNNNNNGGG~~!!

• March 25, 2014 at 8:39 pmberrish17

Noragamiii <3 Loved every episode.
    This was such a cute ending XD

• March 26, 2014 at 1:19 amLaughingMan

Hell of an awesome final battle! Also, not bad for a Bones ending, lol. Here’s to hoping for a second season.

• March 26, 2014 at 1:53 amNico

Not bad series, it has been fun.

A pity they couldn’t follow the manga development exactly , but oh well… Japanese never learn.

• March 26, 2014 at 1:15 pmNoragami!

The studio ordered twelve episodes so they had to make twelve episodes. Would you have wanted a show with ploddy pacing and bad execution?

As much as I didn’t like this anime original arc (well I liked it but not as much as I wanted to) you should be glad that this show didn’t turn out to be a train wreck because of how they executed the whole thing.

• March 26, 2014 at 1:52 pmActus

This is certainly one of the more enjoyable rides this season. It is a shame that this is merely 12 episodes whereas other shows **cough cough nobunaga the… cough cough** of a lesser quality get more.

I hope they’re making a second season of this.

• March 26, 2014 at 3:50 pmAsoch_3

I don’t know if anybody else got the vibe… but I felt like Yato and Hiyori reminded me of Kenjin and Kaoru… A LOT! Loved it!