Jason Mraz a crazy K-ON fan? »« K-ON! – 13 (END)

I Told You Mio Was The Better Singer

I probably should’ve switched the pictures, but I was too busy jamming out to Mio’s Fuu Fuu

Those who were following my K-ON! posts know that I’m a firm believer that our swishy-haired queen of moe moe kyun is a vastly superior singer than that moe blob closet guitar genius, who is cute nonetheless but should probably relinquish the mic. It was tough to make the comparison before because they rarely sang the same song – Fuwa Fuwa Time was the only one where we got a full version of both Mio and Yui, and that was a harder comparison to make cuz the song is so damn cutesy it seemed to be written exclusively for that anime-sounding Yui voice. We also got a bit of Hotchkiss, when Mio bailed Yui out in the beginning of the song – and sounded much better, I might add.

Well, here we go, side-by-side comparisons of our two songstresses – just-released “K-ON! Gekichuka Shu” contains two discs – the “Studio Mix” and the “Live Mix” – the studio mix has Yui crooning her way through the band’s four songs, while the live mix has the extended versions of the band’s live performances, which usually involves Mio. The above song is “Fude Pen, Booru Pen” (Brush Pen, Ballpoint Pen) from episode 12.

My favorite K-ON! song is still the B-track on the ED single, but that aside, what do you think?

“Unofficial duet version” (credits to syu)

July 19, 2009 at 12:43 pm
  • July 19, 2009 at 12:47 pmKyaura

I agree completely with you, but also take in mind Yui has a specific anime voice that may be hard to sing in. Mio’s voice isn’t far from the voice actresses original range.

First?

• July 19, 2009 at 12:50 pmRemy

Personally, I enjoyed it when I played them together. It just sounds like there’s more energy in the song than the two of them by themselves.

• July 19, 2009 at 12:57 pmPazoozoo

Completely agree with Kyaura

• July 19, 2009 at 12:59 pmGermanguy

@Remy
    I agree, i worked out to Play both Videos Synchrony. And both Voices add much Energy.

• July 19, 2009 at 1:07 pmSadiki

I think Yui is good at certain songs, but not particularly this one. But when I played them together like Remy suggested.. wow, it sounds so much better.

• July 19, 2009 at 1:21 pmZenzen

I think that I prefer to listen to music that is actually, you know, good.Show Spoiler ▼

• July 19, 2009 at 1:23 pmHatrick

@ Remy wow, if you play both together it’s really really good! I got it to sync with Yui 2sec behind and it sounds great!

• July 19, 2009 at 1:24 pmSchwegburt

Mio definitely has much broader vocal range, knows how to use it and on top of that her voice has warmer, more melodious tones that Yui lacks. Yui’s a decent singer but honestly, I could beat the snot out of a chipmunk and find a similar voice in that.

• July 19, 2009 at 1:24 pmFlobb3k

Mio voice sounds better, Yuis voice sounds like a 3 year child singing.
    My favourite is the ED-Song since the beginning of this anime. It rocks!

• July 19, 2009 at 1:26 pmcbhl

We need a duet! XD

But seriously, yeah. I can’t imagine anyone trying to sing in Yui’s voice and doing it “well”… >.>

• July 19, 2009 at 1:37 pmkira_D

Yeah, Mio’s does sound a lot better since it’s not all cutesy like Yui. However, it sounds interesting when you play both at the same time. I can’t tell which one supports the other though.

• July 19, 2009 at 1:38 pmjaalin

i can’t synch them for the life of me, lol… the mio version starts later

• July 19, 2009 at 1:38 pmTenck

Wow…it really DOES sound good synced…nice!

• July 19, 2009 at 1:47 pmbanzemanga

I don’t agree. Mio is not the better singer. Mio’s actress is the better singer. ;P

• July 19, 2009 at 1:49 pmkimikodatenshi

I got it to sync perfectly and wow it sounds amazing!!! But singing as a character is quite difficult so we have to give her that credit!

• July 19, 2009 at 1:55 pmPal

Both versions have their unique charm, IMO. However, synced is so awesome.

• July 19, 2009 at 2:02 pmZY

FYI: There is another song that is sang by both of them, it is called Let’s Go from their character song CD.

• July 19, 2009 at 2:06 pmPink sniper

Yes, Mio is the better singer, Yui moe-voice doesn’t have enough range to sing. Yui seiyuu Aki Toyoshaki is a real singer, Mio seiyuu, well i don’t know. Quite strange

• July 19, 2009 at 2:15 pmsealouse

Well it certainly was interesting when I go em to sync at all. Perhaps the best method is to hit play on the second video right when she says “3″ in first one.

• July 19, 2009 at 2:19 pmminikui

this is just anime voice vs normal voice. Of course Mio sounds better. But in generel all of K-On’s music is generic pop and so are the voices. Listen to Guin Saga’s Ending. That’s a *voice*

• July 19, 2009 at 2:25 pmminikui

or the Requiem of the Phantom Opening. Kanon and kokia … that’s what you call *real singers* ^^

• July 19, 2009 at 2:26 pm76d

Yeah its ridiculously awesome how i got them to sync so fast. Its way better to. Crazy duet

• July 19, 2009 at 2:47 pmGod~Knows~

Yui has the heart in her singing and did you see that freaky mouth and lip action when she sings?I appreciate the effort.Reminds me of me.I suck, but I try my best.

• July 19, 2009 at 2:52 pmoutcast

“#
    Kyaura at 12:47 pm on July 19th, 2009

First?

heh pretty insightfull especially for a first post.

• July 19, 2009 at 2:56 pmGod~Knows~

Opps and I got them both to sync in their singing…..This is BLIIISSSSSSSSSS

• July 19, 2009 at 3:15 pmtacdo

MIO! Moe, moe! Kyun! Barnacles… >_<

• July 19, 2009 at 3:26 pmSyaoran Li

Oh damin it, I got to put my hands on that disc. Tokyo Tosho, here I go…

• July 19, 2009 at 3:34 pmSeinime

Yui sings a better Fuwa Fuwa Time. …And that’s about it.

• July 19, 2009 at 3:42 pmonion head

I STILL LIKE YUI!!!!!

• July 19, 2009 at 4:00 pmAkiyama

Syncing them up makes this so awesome.

• July 19, 2009 at 4:22 pmFreya

Eh yeah. The more I listen to Yui’s voice the more annoying it gets. Guess its just the song.

• July 19, 2009 at 4:43 pmMeery

When are we going to have the Izumi Konata karaoke covers, with a little Shiraishi thrown in to the mix? Now those would be voices. o_O I like Yui’s singing voice, it’s cute, but Mio’s wins out as far as being something I’d want to listen to for more than one song.

• July 19, 2009 at 4:45 pmdivine

Funny thing is, Toyosaki Aki (Yui) is the one in the seiyuu pop group Sphere, along with Kotobuki Minako (Mugi). Sphere performed the Hatsukoi Limited OP last season and is performing the Sora no Manimani OP this season.

Hikasa Youko (Mio) on the other hand isn’t even in any shows this season. Aki and Minako were both in Hatsukoi Limited, and are now starring in Kanamemo and Umi Monogatari respectively.

There must be something the casting agents know that we don’t!

• July 19, 2009 at 4:55 pmMeery

I liked Yui in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey7aDYOy4C0. Allows for an interesting comparison.

• July 19, 2009 at 5:05 pmfet101

Mio is certainly a better singer, but I’ll take Yui on ‘Cagayake! Girls’ over Mio any day.

• July 19, 2009 at 5:06 pmberamodk

It’s pretty easy to sync…

just start both up and pause the earlier one for a sliver of a second and resume until they match up!

• July 19, 2009 at 5:52 pmNarutodesu

Now we just gotta find out who’s better in bed.

D: Though I’d never ever think of doing dirty things to Yui! she’s too adorable!
    Now Mio is a different story.. Sure she’s also very adorable but she’s also very hot. Well so is Yui but she’s more cute than hot but still! You guys get what I’m saying right?

And yeah both at the same time sounds pretty good.

• July 19, 2009 at 5:54 pmberamodk

And I don’t think Mio will sound better in “rice after curry” song….

• July 19, 2009 at 6:10 pmKaris

I enjoy listening to these songs regardless who is singing them. But when I synced those two videos(perfectly), I was blown away! Someone gotta make a mix out of these songs!

• July 19, 2009 at 6:16 pmRagedZai

Yeah its true
    but the two singing at the same time is awesome too

• July 19, 2009 at 6:23 pmAkikun

Mio is indeed the better singer (I find Yui’s voice rather annoying at times), but I orz every time I hear Mio’s half-assed rendition of “sou nechaou” in Fuwa Fuwa Time live version…

• July 19, 2009 at 6:33 pmGeeta

Solution: Make the song a duo. I synced up both of the versions and it sounded awesome. Try it, Mio has the rock star girl feel to it and Yui has the cutesy anime feeling to it. Put them together and it’s just a masterpiece.

• July 19, 2009 at 6:37 pmoutcast

both @ the same time. http://www.zshare.net/audio/6289494571741196/
    i couldn’t make a movie about it, i’m not as pro as jaalin sensei yet :D

• July 19, 2009 at 6:41 pmjaalin

i don’t know shit, i used windows movie maker to make that thing lol

• July 19, 2009 at 6:52 pmsean

i disagree with basically everyone because this song was basically made for her cutesy anime voice…..and although it doesnt sound good usually i think the yui version is better in this song.

• July 19, 2009 at 6:52 pmsyu

“Unofficial duet version!”

• July 19, 2009 at 7:30 pmRight Here

Am I the only one who actually likes Yui’s voice? XD While I agree that Mio is the better singer and Yui’s voice can be too cutesy for some people, I actually enjoy listening to it.

• July 19, 2009 at 7:37 pmx2xstephx2x

I Laughed after hearing Yui’s Voice, its just like a happy little kid. ^.^ And i Agree Mio has a better Voice for the song that song. V

• July 19, 2009 at 8:25 pmmegalith

Let me be part of the majority. The voice waas according to the character. Yui managed to pull the OP well.

• July 19, 2009 at 8:29 pmichigo_daisuki

I don’t care who’s the better singer! D:<

If I had to choose, Mio’s voice over Yui’s oh-so-cute voice XD
    The duo of both voices together though would be the best over everything. Personally, I’m one who enjoys both.

• July 19, 2009 at 8:36 pmmegalith

OMG… The Sync IS better. O_O

• July 19, 2009 at 8:41 pmichigo_daisuki

Sorry for double post! >_<

@syu
    Thanks for posting the duet version XD
    @Right Here
    I second as someone who enjoys listening to Yui’s singing voice too ^_^

• July 19, 2009 at 9:16 pmMelchior

Yui’s actress sings her songs in character, Mio’s actress almost always sings them *out* of character. That’s really the only difference. Of course the Mio versions will sound better. She isn’t stuck using that cutesy voice. When Toyosaki Aki (Yui) sings the backup on Sweet Bitter Beauty Song, she’s out of character, and the improvement is dramatic.

Hisaka Yoko sings only one track *in* character on her Character Image Album, and it’s a much weaker song than anything else she sang for K-ON.

• July 19, 2009 at 9:20 pmmegalith

Ok… Wow.. Just wow…

Curry Nochi Rice IS my favorite of all the tracks. Even though I finally get to hear the full ver of the song from ep 12 it wasn’t hard choice to make. O_O

• July 19, 2009 at 9:29 pmstarss

It would’ve been hilarious if they included Yui’s version when she lost her voice! :D This is fun anyway, and I’m so glad we’re getting more of these girls after the show ended.

• July 19, 2009 at 10:09 pmMaka

I am a BIG fan of Mio so I do prefer Mio’s voice over Yui. I do admit that Yui singing isn’t that bad. Both versions are really good but I like Mio’s version more

• July 19, 2009 at 10:16 pmMajjen

I did just about what everyone else did, Synced them. I listened to each for about 5 seconds, was like Ok… Now lets see what happens if I try to get them to play at the same time. Damn, it sound pretty good with both of them in there. Although I would of rather had them trade off solo’s throughout the song and sing some of it together, probably would of sounded slightly better.

• July 19, 2009 at 11:28 pmZukushi-kun

Wow, Yui version is bad.

• July 19, 2009 at 11:32 pmraii

The synced version sound better imo coz they complement each other. Yui sings high while Mio sings lower. Thats why they sound fuller and more ‘complete’.

• July 20, 2009 at 12:07 amwingz

so who else here played both of the vids together for a duet? i for one enjoy both songs but i also believe mio has the more mature solid vocal than our moe jumpy Yui, who is fine too but i would rather listen to mio then yui over and over on my walkman

• July 20, 2009 at 1:05 amCHIBI

yui voice is a turn on

• July 20, 2009 at 1:05 amvexx

Yui is just speaking and singing in such a high piping range that it is hard for western ears to deal with…. they both carry their notes well and don’t sound strained. But yeah, I simply prefer Mio’s throatier vocal range coupled with those fascinating note finish wails she does.

• July 20, 2009 at 1:34 amciq666

@sealouse
    Thank you for the suggestion; playing the 2nd video at “3″ creates an awesome result

For this song, Mio does sing better than Yui, but you can’t compare a real voice to an anime voice, unless Yui’s voice is the seiyuu’s real voice. However, Yui sounds more “moe”, like a child singing :P

• July 20, 2009 at 2:15 ampwkim21

Wow it really does sounds nice together lol

• July 20, 2009 at 2:43 amWhistler

wow, syncing them does give a new feel to it!

• July 20, 2009 at 2:53 amsadman

It was a pain to sync but WOW is sounds good when they both sing together

• July 20, 2009 at 3:18 amCyprinious

@outcast … bro… THANK YOU… this duet mp3 is on it’s way to my iPhone… DONE! you rock!

Mio and Yui rock in their own ways. It’s good to hear people actually give both props cuz they really do have different singing styles… at least for K-ON anyway, that was done on purpose to give Mio and Yui their own fan circles. I must say tho, the Mio fans are quite rabid online, LOL not that I mind cuz I love Mio too! YAY barnacles!!! LOL

• July 20, 2009 at 3:24 ampwkim21

I went through the trouble of syncing the songs in an audio program and changing the levels to sound more in sync like they were next to each other. Sounds Great! So far haven’t found this song combined like this on the cd’s

• July 20, 2009 at 3:38 amRinyal

Mio’s song is 2 seconds behind Yui’s. Mio starts singing around 0:16 and Yui around 0:14 so as long as you have them play about two seconds apart they sounds great when you sync them. x3

But anyways I think Mio definitively has a better range than Yui and her voice sounds way better but I think Yui’s verison has more emotion behind it than Mio. =X Whereas Mio’s verison feels slightly lacklust after listening to it a couple of time.

• July 20, 2009 at 3:46 amteutates

yui is still better :P

• July 20, 2009 at 4:08 amBarOks

I love Yui’s voice or should I say Aki Toyosaki’s voice.. <3

• July 20, 2009 at 5:16 amSore no Kaze

Well, if you ask me, Yui or should we say her Seiyuu is considerably the better singer since she sings pretty well in that character range. Mio’s quite good, but I understand what people say about what Mio’s version lacks over Yui, not to say that I also enjoy Mio’s version as well.

Although the truth is, I’m pretty sure Mio is suppose to be the only singer in the Manga. If what I say is right, Mio should be the better singer in retrospect to Yui anyways in the show.

Although, I love Yui and Mio quite dearly to say that I enjoy them both. I’m in both circles lol.

• July 20, 2009 at 6:30 amkaineng

well loved sweet bitter beauty song as always for mio, and rather heard what I heard live from mio-chan than get the studio version… well can’t they do one all with mio-chan?? *sob*

yui-chan was great anyway, a cute voice from some old seiyuu again…

• July 20, 2009 at 8:06 amEd

Synced ftw, seriously try it

• July 20, 2009 at 8:22 amLQY

Well, you’re right and Mio is a better singer.

• July 20, 2009 at 9:22 amFDaihatsu

+1 for sync version for being so more awesome than both single versions.

• July 20, 2009 at 10:40 ammimi

I try playing both version at the same time and it’s cool, even though Yui’s voice is much louder than Mio’s XD

• July 20, 2009 at 10:59 amRaze

Mmm…debatable.

If Ritsu ever sang though, she’d be a goddess.

• July 20, 2009 at 11:58 amNaqel

I don’t get the point.

Maybe it’s cause my hearing finally got damaged from the ear**** my brother listens to, but I enjoy both versions.

Maybe even like the Yui one more a bit. Cuz it sounds more original.

• July 20, 2009 at 2:00 pmAnt

Naw, prefer Yui. Mio’s voice is too boring.

• July 20, 2009 at 2:13 pmNeo Horizon

Yeah, I can’t do it. I can’t listen to Yui singing that song. She sounds much better in Fuwa Fuwa Time since it was more upbeat. Slow, soothing songs don’t fit her voice. Mio’s version is spectacular though. ^^

• July 20, 2009 at 8:20 pmphiyo

Synced is perfect! I will make Mio’s voice louder though. Yui’s voice is a bit too much after listening to the song over and over again.

• July 20, 2009 at 11:09 pmVsin

Hmm…Yui alone was initally painful to listen to, while Mio was more to my liking.

Now then, the sync? MIND = BLOWN

• July 21, 2009 at 12:59 amchickenwing

where’s is Azusa? :3

• July 21, 2009 at 1:49 amUndefined

wow it better Yui and Mio same sing ^^ u can try press … it more more perfect … Try make the two video same time ply …

• July 21, 2009 at 1:59 amUndefined

btw why dont try fuwa fuwa time ???

• July 21, 2009 at 5:02 amChiyoko

while i so agree that mio is a better singer for msot songs, i actually prefer yuis fuwa fuwa time. yui’s voice is meant to be sugary sweet and sort of ditsy, so it’s understandable that it’s a little awkward for slower songs.

• July 21, 2009 at 5:13 amrum

can’t help but being another broken record.
    mio ftw aside, syncing those two versions, was fun listening to.

• July 21, 2009 at 5:34 amRazrig

I love both ^__^

• July 21, 2009 at 6:19 amknight of one

they both merit my applause.

Yui’s Voice was way too “cutesy” and will get much attention from people who are fans of the Kawaii factor of Japanese Shoujo Music. Listening to Cagayake Girls will be enough merit for her.

Mio’s voice, however, was more mature, more resonating, and more appealing. Listening well to Don’t say Lazy, and you can give her enough justice. and her “sweet girl with a lot of spunk” makes her more ideal as lead vocals of After School Tea time. (BTW, did you just see her “Flex her eyes” on the ED sequence?)

I vouch for Mio, but I don’t say that Yui i not that good at all.

• July 21, 2009 at 6:28 amhurrdurr

If you listen closely, Yui can maintain notes longer and steady (unlike Mio who tends to do small vibratos). It seems she has more practice singing.

As some posters said, Yui’s voice actress has to force her voice to sound cute, which makes singing a LOT harder. Mio’s actress just uses her normal voice.

• July 21, 2009 at 10:34 pmHello

Usually I think Mio is better,but for this I like Yui. >:
    Although together sounds the best.

• July 22, 2009 at 9:27 amrazgriz

If you ask me, Yui should really stick to the guitar or she’ll lose her voice again XDD. While Yui gives off the cutesy aura that we all appreciate for an obvious reason, if I may give my humble opinion, she isn’t fit for singing at all (with the exception of the opening). Mio wins this comparison hands down because of vocal factors like the depth of her voice and her ability to reach high notes.

I bet jaalin is saying right now: “I told you so!” lmao XD. Oh wait, he already did XDD.

• July 22, 2009 at 8:26 pmRoy Mustang

Some songs were better suited for Lennon and some were better suited for McCartney. It’s the same thing with Mio and Yui. I just hope some crazy Japanese chick doesn’t come along and break up the K-ON club.

• July 22, 2009 at 9:34 pmdiet otaku

i can’t get it to sync up, but i think what would sound really awesome is mio singing the first verse/bridge solo, duet chorus, yui singing the next verse/bridge, duet chorus, etc. anyone feel like rigging that up?

• July 23, 2009 at 1:29 amRevolutionApexJ

MIO ALL THE WAY XD

• July 23, 2009 at 10:41 ammanga

Mio is better :)

In every aspect.

• July 24, 2009 at 2:30 amwutupz

yui’s voice actress obviously has to change her voice to do Yui…

• July 24, 2009 at 1:00 pmspec

Try sincing the two songs they sound pretty good

• July 31, 2009 at 10:34 pmmarbaloonydoody

thanks for the unofficial duet version! sounds awesome :)

• Newer Comments »