Nyan Koi! – 05 »« Nyan Koi! – 03

Nyan Koi! – 04

「美しい人」 (Utsukushii Hito)
“Beautiful Person”

What are the Saki girls doing in Nyan Koi? Shouldn’t they be practicing for their mahjong nationals? Also, is it considered a trap if it goes the other way around? I don’t suppose that it does, but I’m still jostled by the whole ordeal. *shudder*

When I think of Kobayashi Yuu, I usually have mixed feelings about her. On the plus side, you have the slender-legged seiyuu known for her cheeky role as Shidou Mariya in Maria+Holic. On the horribly negative side, you have the seiyuu known for drawing “demons” straight from Hell. (Google it if you want nightmares.) However, once I’m able to get over that mental hurdle, I’m usually pleasantly surprised by her acting ability. It’s partly her silly character here, but also the way that she plays Ichinose Nagi that made this episode a complete riot. Aside from Nagi’s official series debut, the comedy was pretty hilarious throughout with all the characters’ fantasies and misconceptions. I found myself laughing helplessly at one scene just because it came out of the blue. It was completely unexpected and caught me totally off guard. Aside from timely comedic pauses, most of the episode was riddled with sudden laughs, so you can expect to laugh when you least expect to. (Keep an eye out for the lightning!) Most of the jokes were pretty silly and some of the premise was just plain stupid, but things were oh-so-funny at times. In fact, this is probably the funniest Nyan Koi episode so far.

Right from the get-go, Junpei receives what he believes is his first love letter and of all things, runs to a washroom stall to read it. He’s caught up in that whole, “It’s spring. It’s finally my time. I’ve touched a young girl’s heart.” mentality, which is immediately crushed when he finds out it’s a letter of challenge in disguise. He flips out, tears up the letter, flushes it down the toilet, and chooses never to speak of it. That’s until three days later when Nagi storms into his classroom demanding why he ignored his challenge. Things get hilariously out of whack at that point, when Nagi pauses to admire Kanako before getting a first-hand feel of her lovely breasts. The misunderstandings compile when Nagi declares he’s fighting for Kaede’s sake, causing Kanako to see this as an opportunity to make Junpei hers… as a slave! Having waited for Junpei out at Enoshima for three days though, Nagi just collapses with a fever and the confused Junpei has to help take him home.

Just as things start to settle down, Junpei makes his way to Nagi’s home with the help of Kaede and Kanako, only to find out that he’s part of the Ichinose yakuza family. While Kaede’s enjoying all of this for some reason, Junpei’s busy fearing for his life and hoping to leave without a fuss. Naturally, things don’t end that easily as Nagi’s grandfather invites them inside for a warm bath and shelter from the rain. As the girls go in to show us some fan-service, Junpei ends up getting a request from Nagi’s Kansai-ben speaking cat Josephine and a ridiculous one at that — helping Nagi fall in love. Junpei later gets sent to Nagi’s room (to be killed), where he stumbles on the fact that Nagi’s terrified of lightning from childhood trauma and actually a girl to boot. That doesn’t change the fact that she wants to kill Junpei for being the cause of Kaede’s sad face (or so she claims). To make things worse, an emotional floodgate opens in her when she recalls how she was rejected by her first love because she was mistaken for a guy.

Thanks to the lightning though, Junpei’s able to talk to Nagi normally and offers to help with her problems if she ever needs it. In doing so, he unintentionally makes the tomboy revert back to her girlish ways and fall for him. Yikes.

Next time, at least one of the Kirishima twins shows up! They’re both played by Tomatsu Haruka too. I’ve been looking for a show she’s in this season outside of her boring roles in Asura Cryin’ 2 and WHITE ALBUM.

Omake

October 23, 2009 at 1:29 am
  • October 23, 2009 at 1:43 amKerfirou

at last……… some loli!!!

• October 23, 2009 at 1:45 amCecelia

This show is amazing.

• October 23, 2009 at 2:09 ampierce

lol Saki girls? That was so random.

Looking forward to Tomatsu Haruka voicing the twins. She needs more main roles.

• October 23, 2009 at 2:24 amraii

They haven’t appeared in e manga yet. Right? E twins?

• October 23, 2009 at 2:41 amMeery

Woo, Sailor Suit and Machine Gun and Boy. Nagi fell for him, pretty much as expected, but her yuri moments beforehand are pretty funny. Kanako, work a ‘lil harder, you can do it! Also, I like all the links used in the journal.

• October 23, 2009 at 3:39 amPhocus

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE:

Out of the harem/romance/comedy series this season (Kampfer, Sora no Otoshimono, and Nyan Koi), which one is your favorite?

Honestly, honestly, honestly… I’d say Nyan Koi. ;)

• October 23, 2009 at 3:50 amkokweng

yay next epi ! theme park and twin girl !

• October 23, 2009 at 4:22 amdivine

In terms of which I look forward to the most, it’s Kampfer, SoraOto, Nyan Koi.

However, I don’t look forward to Kampfer for the pure laughs, but the twisted yuri harem thing going on. Comedy-wise, it’s hard to say. I laugh a lot at both Nyan Koi and SoraOto. Junpei’s inner thoughts are great, but Tomoki’s outbursts are just as good.

• October 23, 2009 at 5:22 amMegas

Damn this show is crazy – almost too crazy to follow. I had to watch it twice to make sure I caught everything.

• October 23, 2009 at 5:32 amRei

Haruka is not boring in Asura Cryin’ D: she’s all genki and an awesome ghost who i wish was alive :(
    but alas, can’t wait for this subbed

• October 23, 2009 at 6:09 amLitho

I can’t believe I’m actually enjoying this series.

It’s probably because Junpei isn’t the usual sissified gheyboy halfwit protagonist.

• October 23, 2009 at 8:46 amSplash

Kimi Ni Todoke is clearly the best comedy romance series of this season. But all of the other ones mentioned are pretty decent too.

• October 23, 2009 at 10:17 amLero

What the heck are you saying? Misao is a cute ghost and good character … I wish she was alive wahhh that freaking mecha es devouring her ! ;_;

LOL Falcon Punch
    No pantyshot XD….ah well.

• October 23, 2009 at 11:29 ammice

@Phocus, Kampfer

• October 23, 2009 at 12:25 pmdivine

Misao’s so pushy though, “Call Kurogane Tomo. Call him. Caaaall him.” -_-;

Her nagging gets to me, even though I agree Tomo’s just being a pansy. I can’t help but think, “OMG give it a rest! He doesn’t want you to disappear damn it!”

• October 23, 2009 at 12:45 pmewok

re: Asura Cryin’
    In latest episode Misao reveals she knew all along the price of use of Kurogane… which makes her even more appealing to me as selfless person.

• October 23, 2009 at 12:52 pmgotsanimefever

so who is the dude throwing what appears to be a mummy case http://randomc.net/image/Nyan%20Koi!/Nyan%20Koi!%20-%2004%20-%20Large%2032.jpg

• October 23, 2009 at 1:22 pmAnna

Oh look, a reverse trap.

• October 23, 2009 at 1:38 pmdivine

ewok:
    Not to get completely sidetracked from Nyan Koi here, but knowing that you’d think Misao would realize why Tomoharu doesn’t want to use Kurogane then. Also, when I said boring, it was because Misao’s not tsundere enough to bring out the awesomeness that is Tomatsu Haruka. Mana in WHITE ALBUM sort of is, but she’s just a meddling kid IMO.

• October 23, 2009 at 2:01 pmNinja Penguin

re: Asura Cryin’
    Misao kinda makes me wish I was permanently haunted by a genki ghost girl.

re: Nyan Koi!
    Sometimes watching anime gives me the impression that there is a Yakuza gang on every street corner lol, I wonder what planet Kaede is from though? If I was surrounded by around 30 scary thugs from the local neighbourhood gangsters/mafia/triads/etc. I’d be busy fearing for my life too. :P

I wonder if her power level is over 9000?

• October 23, 2009 at 2:55 pmcosyo

sigh..

• October 23, 2009 at 3:21 pmkahzeelol

I’m interested in the new characters that we’ve been seeing on the Intro of Nyan Koi.

• October 23, 2009 at 4:40 pmItheunknown

re: twins

They already appeared in the manga, the first twin appeared in the last pages of chapter 11!

re: favorite comedy

Sora no Otoshimono is 1st (just like Ah my Goddess + Male lead is not a complete loser)
    Nyan Koi is very good but, in my opinion, looks pale in comparisson to Seto no Hanayome and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (the best comedies I´ve ever watched)

• October 23, 2009 at 4:41 pmWingZeroZXT

Those drawings are some kind of prank surely???
    @Ninja penguin that would be torture surely!!!

• October 23, 2009 at 5:07 pmdivine

Oh they’re no prank. I’ve seen her draw on radio shows and the other seiyuus are speechless (and terrified at the same time I bet). She can’t draw for the life of her, but when she tries to, stuff like that comes out.

• October 23, 2009 at 10:32 pmChaos

I’ve always thought Nagi was a guy! Reverse trap card opened!?

• October 23, 2009 at 11:29 pmKaris

This episode is kinda fast-paced, but I’m still enjoying it. Plus if you look at 7:48, you’ll see Stealth Momo there with her sempai! (though with these Saki cameos, I would be delighted if they retained their original hair colour…

• October 24, 2009 at 3:11 amewok

anyway, the whole high fever/in-love scheme remembers me of certain another swordsgirl from Love Hina…

• October 24, 2009 at 12:43 pmMisha

So this episode made me go: “Wait… what was that?”

In the corner of my eye I saw a familiar waist band plushie so I had to rewind and check. Yes, indeed it was a direct reference to Saki.

• October 24, 2009 at 4:11 pmJustin Olbrantz (Quantam)

No matter how many episodes of this I watch, I can’t for the life of me figure out how it got rated as high as it did on AniDB ( http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=animevotes&aid=6428 ); a visual estimate from the histogram indicates a rating of over 8.

• October 24, 2009 at 4:33 pmShin

Tomboy! Yes!

• October 25, 2009 at 1:58 amChaos

Watching this episode for the second time and among the cats, I found an interesting one in 7:16. It’s the black version of Nyanko-sensei from Natsume Yuujincho look-a-like XD

• October 25, 2009 at 2:00 amCMac

i love when junpei yells in english. and yuu kobayashi switching from guy voice to girl voice to guy voice was hysterical. she gets a high five from me.

• October 25, 2009 at 2:57 amrunedot

ANN lists the following for Kobayashi Yuu:
    CANAAN (TV) : Key Animation
    Hayate the Combat Butler!! (TV) : Key Animation
    S.A (TV) : Key Animation (ep 10)
    To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (TV) : 2nd Key Animation
    Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s (TV) : Key Animation

How could she possibly be doing Key Animation if that is what her actual drawing is like? Is ANN crediting some other Kobayashi Yuu to the seiyuu?

• October 25, 2009 at 9:27 amdivine

Yeah, that’s a different Kobayashi Yuu, so it’s a mistake on ANN’s part for lumping the two of them together. (User submitted mistakes on ANN, that’s not surprising is it?)

The seiyuu Kobayashi Yuu’s name is written as 小林ゆう, whereas the animator’s is 小林優.

• October 25, 2009 at 3:22 pmHarowiin

This episode was comedy gold- takes a lot to get me to laugh, and it had me in stitches.

• October 28, 2009 at 8:31 amJeremy

Anyone caught the Seto no Hanayome reference? http://randomc.net/image/Nyan%20Koi!/Nyan%20Koi!%20-%2004%20-%20Large%2018.jpg
    This ep was hilarious!

• November 10, 2009 at 8:44 pmkikyo4ever

LOL..the Saki girls on the third picture caption…That was random. I thought it look familar and than realized it was from the anime show Saki…LOL

• November 14, 2009 at 5:16 pmDsk

Does anyone know where I can find the music clip of Nagi’s phone ringtone which is like a yakuza theme song.???