Ookami Kakushi – 01 »« Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu – 01

Seikon no Qwaser – 01

OP Sequence

OP: 「Errand」 by 飛蘭 (Faylan)
Watch the OP!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Streaming ▼

Summary:

Oribe Mafuyu and Yamanobe Tomo were raised by Tomo’s father at the private St. Mikhailov Academy where he was the headmaster, but he then disappeared. The two girls have lived by themselves since then, and Mafuyu is protective of Tomo, particularly since some of their classmates try to make their lives miserable. One day, on their way back from school, they come across an unconscious silver-haired boy and decide to take him in. The boy, however, disappears when they take their eyes off him, and when Mafuyu goes to look for him, she finds the church burning. She goes to try to save an icon but gets ambushed and tied up by a mysterious masked figure, the same one who’s responsible for some other recent murders. This person knows who Mafuyu and Tomo are and doesn’t think that anyone would come to save Mafuyu, but the boy from before suddenly shows up and does exactly that.

The boy is able to free Mafuyu, however he is weak from lack of Soma, creating an opportunity for the enemy. Fortunately, the nun Teresa appears as well and offers her breast milk to the boy, replenishing his Soma in a scene that reminds Mafuyu of the image on an icon. This allows the boy, a Qwaser, to bring forth a giant scythe and slice the masked person, but his opponent then disappears. In the aftermath, Mafuyu tries to thank the boy, but he tells her that those who can’t save themselves don’t deserve to survive and that she has to take hold of things on her own. The next day, much to Mafuyu’s surprise, the church is completely back to normal, and the boy is introduced into her class as Alexander Nikolayevich Her. She tries to get him to explain things, but he thinks that it’s better that she doesn’t know. He’s even colder towards the girls who usually bully Mafuyu and Tomo, however he does take a moment to grab Tomo’s breast. In the end, he warns Mafuyu that misfortune falls on those who get near him.

ED Sequence

ED: 「Passionate squall」 by 藤村歩, 豊崎愛生, 茅原実里, 平野綾, 日笠陽子 (Fujimura Ayumi, Toyosaki Aki, Chihara Minori, Hirano Aya, Hikasa Youko)
Watch the ED!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Streaming ▼

The OP isn’t quite as fast-paced as the one Faylan sang for CANAAN, but I like the chorus part here a bit more. That part actually sounds really familiar, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it reminds me of – perhaps Chihara Minori’s Paradise Lost. Anyway, the animation sequence that went with it was fairly standard stuff that shows most of the cast and hints at what’s going to happen. The ED, on the other hand, focuses on the main girls, and the song is a seiyuu group one that was a little better than I thought it’d be, but not by much.

This first episode was about what I expected since it followed the manga fairly closely. The production quality was fairly good, and there wasn’t much action, but what was there – the attack on Mafuyu and Alexander’s battle – wasn’t too bad. Instead, there was a lot of exposition (about Mafuyu and Tomo’s past, how they’re now treated poorly, about the icons, Qwasers, etc), some mysterious characters, and some fanservice.

And fanservice is where the series is likely to get a lot of attention. As readers of the manga know, one of the key plot points is the use of breastfeeding for Qwasers. The MBS version, however, more or less censors the Teresa breastfeeding scene with some creative panning and cropping. There were also a few spots when the visuals showed a girl screaming but the audio didn’t reflect that, which makes me think that they cut those out too. In fact, there was less blatant fanservice than I expected given what was shown in the uncensored promo video. Certainly there were a lot of emphasis on Tomo’s huge breasts and some shots of Mafuyu’s underwear, but in the context of what other series these days show, this was relatively tame. The ED had arguably more fanservice than the entire episode. What will be interesting to see is how much the AT-X version, which airs in a couple of weeks on January 26th, will show.

As for me, I was neither really impressed nor really disappointed with the first episode. Even with the edits, it’s not bad, however I’m not convinced it’s a series I’d want to follow and blog, since at this point that would require me to drop another show on my schedule to make room. We’ll have to see what the second episode has in store.

January 9, 2010 at 2:54 pm
  • January 9, 2010 at 2:59 pmxix

er… first

• January 9, 2010 at 3:00 pmfffffffffffff

first!:D
    Niceeeeee…looking nice

• January 9, 2010 at 3:03 pmdeathdakid

Anyone thirsty for Milk…?

• January 9, 2010 at 3:05 pmTan-Tan

the only reason I followed the manga (and will follow this) is because of the Sasha xD there was a touching scene though in the manga regarding that breast-feeding, than a WTFanservice. Instead of getting my eyes burst, I actually stared at that scene and said, “aww” so I look forward to some things.

• January 9, 2010 at 3:09 pmElton John

WHY THE CENSOR!

• January 9, 2010 at 3:12 pmwaffo

This censorship was horrible. If I hadn’t watched the promo, I wouldn’t even have been able to tell that he was sucking her breasts.

• January 9, 2010 at 3:13 pmMelchior

Omni, I wonder if the OP reminds you of the chorus to the Ga-Rei Zero OP, “Paraside Lost”. The notes rise in the same way.

• January 9, 2010 at 3:20 pmOmni

Melchior: I think you might be right!

• January 9, 2010 at 3:40 pmLitho

Another boobs-for-brains type show? O_o

Guess I’ll check out one ep.

• January 9, 2010 at 3:46 pmfullmetalQAF

The opening for this show looks so badass, too bad it’s wasted on such a perverted concept for a series.

• January 9, 2010 at 3:59 pmhaseo0408

I’ve only read the first couple of chapters of the manga manga but I think this could be a decente action even with all the pervertion it has.

• January 9, 2010 at 4:03 pmLavender

The male character is so cool. After seeing the first ep., I’m tempted to continue this, even though the end was quite amusing. Also, I’m glad that a few obscene parts were censored.

• January 9, 2010 at 4:25 pmmoe ja nai

Looks interesting!!!yeah~~!KICKASS

• January 9, 2010 at 4:37 pmAvenger

Ass and titties don’t make a show =/ Dropped.

• January 9, 2010 at 5:00 pmLoL

I think we could make another joke of catholic priests using image 12…

• January 9, 2010 at 5:14 pmAzar

Got Milk?

Lol I’m surprised no one else said it yet.

What i expected this series to be is just that…i’ll give this another episode or so before i decide if its worth watching.

• January 9, 2010 at 5:14 pmGelosut9

I’m not too sure about this one…

• January 9, 2010 at 5:26 pmDamrod

my only concern for this serie is that it could catch up with the manga too soon.

personally, i can’t wait till the loli qwaser comes with her doll. (A)

• January 9, 2010 at 6:14 pmArcad

Any idea when the AT-X version airs? Seems a little wrong to censor important story scenes. lol

• January 9, 2010 at 7:10 pmAlec

Ive a bad feeling bout this anime… IM definitely gonna watch this anime , but ive a feeling that it will mess up somewhere TT

• January 9, 2010 at 7:29 pmneko

the chorus of the op theme sounds a bit like the op theme for the gai-rei zero.

• January 9, 2010 at 7:31 pmGuiguif

Oh!! need dl the opening =D

• January 9, 2010 at 7:42 pmNickias

ya its preatty close to gai rei up to the point were gai rei starts going with high pitch singing

• January 9, 2010 at 9:03 pmHitsugaya_10

Awesome first episode! At least they followed the manga closely, but seriously, AT-X better come up with the uncensored version. All Qwasers need breastfeeding, lol. ^^

• January 9, 2010 at 9:10 pmHitsugaya_10

Sorry for the second post;
    I had similar feelings about the familiar op, the chorus sounds similar to Ga-Rei Zero’s op ‘Paradise Lost’ by Chihara Minori. Coincidentally, Chihara Minori is voicing Teresa in the show.

Omni, thanks for the post, and hope you would keep posting it in future! Thanks!

• January 9, 2010 at 9:39 pmasadan

this is totally not orthodox, no pun intended

• January 9, 2010 at 10:11 pmお化け屋敷の主人

There’s actually a PV aired on AT-X that’s not censored at all. So, I figure when AT-X aired the first episode, it will be uncensored as well.

• January 9, 2010 at 10:48 pmMania Lyssa

You would think that the uncensored version would air first since it doesn’t require editing scenes, but I’ll definitely keep an eye on this.

The ending song is pretty good too after listening to it a few times.

• January 9, 2010 at 10:55 pmhaseo0408

Could you please upload the op. By the way I have the feeling that this anime is going to disappoint me somehow.

• January 9, 2010 at 11:04 pmKiel Hyre

need mediafire download please

• January 9, 2010 at 11:05 pmKevz

Well, if you read the manga, the story is actually quite good, but yeah its perverted alright and the action is kickass. I’ll gonna keep watching this.

• January 9, 2010 at 11:14 pmmegalith

Will watch this… AND I HATE QUEEN’S BLADE!

Superior manga makes me want to watch this till the end. Though I think they stopped scanlating the series. >:(

• January 9, 2010 at 11:35 pmmegalith

Easier said than done… It’s hard to watch this…. T____________T

Where’s my manga!???? I’m waiting for certain favorite manga scenes to be animated and certain characters to show up.

• January 9, 2010 at 11:51 pmOmni

Arcad: It airs January 26.

Kiel Hyre: Mediafire has been down and unstable recently, so I’ve had to use other uploading sites. Regardless, the links have been added above.

• January 10, 2010 at 12:03 amUnknownYu

Scythe fest?
    3 scythe wielders for this season, so far~

• January 10, 2010 at 1:16 amernestx

Same Manga Author as Mai Hime & Mai-Otome. This dark goth style anime version.

• January 10, 2010 at 1:23 amernestx

my bad! Same Manga Artist as for Mai Hime & Mai Otome.

• January 10, 2010 at 2:14 amSlashZaku

Just watched the RAW and yeah, the censoring/editing is BS. I actually clicked back a few seconds when Teresa (?) showed up because I remember in the AT-X promo, she rips her dress open and flips in but this censored version just cuts around without making an attempt to blend. Looking forward to AT-X’s airing.

• January 10, 2010 at 4:23 amMukizu

He is Alexander Nikolayevich Hell in fact. At least this is what is written in Russian on the blackboard. Fortunately for him, lol

• January 10, 2010 at 4:58 amMikka

I really hate censorship, wait the at-x version and fuck off mbs. Hope fansubbers wait at-x version too.

• January 10, 2010 at 5:44 amqingnien

• January 10, 2010 at 6:45 amcutemi2

BREASTFEEDING IS STILL BEST FOR WHAT!!!!(an ad campaign for purchasing milk products)
    that Qwaser kid is a pervert

• January 10, 2010 at 6:48 amoctoberasian

I’ve noticed the art style is very reminiscent of Kiddy Girl and Kiddy Girl-and. Are they from the same artists/studio?

Compare this shot:

… to…

They look almost the same in some way.

Anyway, this show looks like something fun to watch this season. I might pick this up.

• January 10, 2010 at 6:49 amEspada

hmm well wait for the uncensored ver.

• January 10, 2010 at 7:12 amUnknownVoice

@octoberasian

Don’t know, but the Qwaser manga was created y the author of Mai-hime/Mai-Otome manga and supposedly will have some paralels with hime-verse.

So its not surprising that it has similar character designs to MaiOtome manga, as Sasha is supposed to be similar to Mashiro from MaiOtome manga(not anime, as in manga Mashiro is male)

• January 10, 2010 at 7:38 amTsukiSAkura

very very very disappointed. They effing censored the good parts.

• January 10, 2010 at 12:19 pmKrimzonStriker

I’m surprised any of you were actually surprised at the censorship myself, it was to be expected, at least they did it in a creative manner unlike those white spots from other series, go buy the DVD or wait until the uncensored version pops up later, they’ll come eventually <_<

• January 10, 2010 at 3:13 pmMegas

Well what do ya know, another ass & tits anime. That makes like 5 this season. Sadly the few that don’t involve ass & tits seem to be boring as hell, not to say that the ones that do aren’t boring as hell. But I find myself watching everything this season anyway, since its so little to choose from.

This anime does appear to be interesting – but the key word is ‘appear’. I’ll give it a few more episodes to see whether I want to fully watch it or just skim through it like I usually do.

• January 10, 2010 at 4:54 pmOLP

whoa ass and tities, time to pick up this show.

• January 10, 2010 at 6:41 pmWatever

The way they censor, zoom focus on some random angle, so heavily to the point i have a hard time understand what is going on… and some of the sound effect doesn’t match up with the animation. Guess i have to wait for the god-saving AT-X studio to air it to get the full enjoyment…

• January 10, 2010 at 9:01 pmalexander

omg its a hentai

• January 11, 2010 at 12:12 amZazn

The censorship editing really made viewers guess what was going on. The obvious one is the breast feeding. Another more ambiguous one was the hooded girl sticking those breast feeding candle things into the girl’s breasts at the beggining. Watch the promo and episode 01 and you’ll see what I mean. I seriously thought that the girl was killed but was wondering why she was blushing.

• January 11, 2010 at 2:04 amtenchu1990

no good as well…skip 2 many..hot thing =D

• January 11, 2010 at 4:45 amimerik

the kid looks straight out d.grayman… i’m kind of on the fence for this one. I wasn’t a big fan of the op at all.. the song was ok but the rest was kinda bad. i’m hoping they don’t go for just that breast feeding gimic and this one turns out okay… maybe i’ll just read the manga.

• January 11, 2010 at 5:08 amDamrod

the OP sounds like a mix of ga rei zero and heroic age, although that could be just me thinking too much of the similarity’s in this song.

• January 11, 2010 at 6:06 amlilakou

the op was really good
    i already read the manga it was quite interesting and really good (it’s like code breaker or d.gray man)
    but this serie is based on the brest feeding
    so there must be some of this events in the next episodes
    if not i will not watch it

• January 11, 2010 at 7:52 amTitMeNotAgain

yuck.

I’ll just watch Bloomberg instead up until it’s April; for FRESH new anime titles.

January~March sux.

• January 11, 2010 at 7:55 amtse

If it wasnt for the fan service, it might be a nice anime. Too much fan service just mess up things

• January 11, 2010 at 12:10 pmwtfblog

damn, I watched this for the fanservice and it was all cut, wth, this was just sad X___X cant they air this after midnight so as to get more boobesque action lol?

onegai ! AT-X : MUNE WO SHIMESE! ( Ketsu mou ii desu!) ;0

• January 11, 2010 at 1:00 pmlilakou

could anyone tell me what’s AT-X that everybody is talking about ??????????????

• January 11, 2010 at 1:09 pmSpec

theresa looks like ikaros(sora no ontoshimono) with blond hair :D

• January 11, 2010 at 3:48 pmstrawberris

Yea, the chorus in the OP has a 3 second sequence that is almost identical to Gai-Rei-Zero. Slightly surprised at this, it sounds like a copy

• January 11, 2010 at 3:54 pmThe Return of the Enigmatic Moonsdoggiebuiscuit

LOLZ! Why the hell did they overload it again with censorship eh? I mean what is the sense of making ecchi anime when the ecchi stuff is removed?

• January 11, 2010 at 8:21 pmKiel Hyre

can u provide mediafire download kor the ED?

• January 12, 2010 at 2:08 pmrofl

LOL’d so hard when alexander just grabs tomos boob and says good.

• January 12, 2010 at 7:09 pmHikki

What do you mean, it wasn’t bad? It was TERRIBLE. Putting aside the magical breastmilk for a moment, the pacing was absolutely ATROCIOUS and it was nearly impossible to tell what was going on in the exposition scenes, much less the action scenes.

Also, I want to take a needle to Tomo’s breasts and pop them.

• January 12, 2010 at 10:59 pmbabawaba

The censor was just retarded, sometimes you coudlnt even know wth was going on because of that

• January 13, 2010 at 9:01 amdescendant

somehow i’m not impressed with this anime
    and the lip movement don’t sync with the voice acting in a lot of scene
    not sure if it’s caused by all the censored scene
    but still i’ll watch episode two to see if there’s any hope in continuing to watch it

• January 13, 2010 at 3:58 pmsigh

I didn’t have a damn clue what this show was about when i decided to watch it today, i will probably drop it because it doesn’t seem to be to interesting and as with the whole breastfeeding thing in all actually as a downside. I’ll be fair because other than that it was a decent 1st episode so ill give it another chance with one more episode, otherwise it will be dropped.

• January 14, 2010 at 7:22 pmaleksander nikolaevich hel

im a girl lol just to tell u and its soooo awsome once u watch it aleksander is the best on that anime lol

• March 4, 2011 at 5:01 pmcarol

Eu achei super mega iper legal esse mangá japonês,alem de ser bem feito e a historia bem interesante,ja vi todos os episodios no youtube em espanhol e tb concordei de ter partes censuradas para todos verem.Adorei tb a Mafuyu e o Sasha,alem de formarem um BELISSIMO casal amei a serie