Letter Bee – 25 (END) »« Letter Bee – 18

Letter Bee – 19

「病気のテガミバチと少女たち」 (Byouki no Tegami Bachi to Shoujo-tachi)
“A Sick Letter Bee and the Girls”

With Sylvette and Niche taking care of a sick Lag, this episode wasn’t so much about plot as it was about character development. Seeing as it involved the main characters of the story though, I enjoyed it more so than the plot-heavier episodic showings in recent weeks. It was also nice not having Lag around so much for a change, so things could focus more on Sylvette and Niche. Granted, the focus only involved Sylvette nagging Niche to eat carrots and showing her up on how to take care of sick people, but hey, I’ll take what I can get. Surprisingly, things did get a bit heated when Niche spoke up about Sylvette’s pushing behavior (even though it was out of good faith), before things finally wrapped up with a cute reconciliation once Niche saved Sylvette from some quicksand-like ground.

Highlights were Niche trying to lick Lag better, her concoction of strange creatures fearing for their lives, Steak almost getting cooked, Sylvette’s outing attire, some ass-kicking on her wheelchair, and Zazie’s beating for buying the last bottle of medicine before Sylvette, forcing her to take that dangerous trip and try to gather the medicinal herbs herself. As for the character development, I was impressed by the restraint Niche displayed this time around, including how she refrained from attacking the guys trying to extort her. It kind of shows how much she’s changed since coming into contact with Lag and becoming his dingo. Sylvette on the other realized how pushy she’s been coming off, which was nice to see, even though it only lasted all of half a day. What she really needs to take to heart is that her soup is gross to normal taste buds, which Niche finally pointed out but Sylvette more or less brushed off.

Next week is somewhat “promising” since we have Zazie and Dr. Thunderland Jr. getting cozy together, but I’m not so keen on seeing Moc Sullivan again (who’s played by Connor’s seiyuu Suganuma Hisayoshi I might add).

February 14, 2010 at 2:59 am
  • February 14, 2010 at 3:03 amCherubium

Steak nearly got cooked and WTF is with next week’s ep? Zazie and Tunderland???

• February 14, 2010 at 3:16 amSilivious

Hope soon the actual manga will be covered again…until then, I haven’t watched the filler.

• February 14, 2010 at 3:32 amewok

that Steak barely avoiding becoming meal reminded me of Excel saga and “living food supply”…

• February 14, 2010 at 4:40 amnickshogun

Is Zazie a dude or chick? I thought she was a girl…

• February 14, 2010 at 4:44 amPLH

Doth mine eyes deceive me? An episode entirely devoid of tears!?
    Isn’t that like…the first one yet?

• February 14, 2010 at 5:41 amRei

I WANT THEM DOLLS….

• February 14, 2010 at 6:29 amAlec

is this really a 24/26 episode anime?…. if so then it would be pretty bad. I wonder how theyre gonna wrap up things when this anime is over…. This anime has been a train wreck, but I just cant brring myself to hate this anime especially the main character, lag.

Okay, so this ep is all about character development (which is not that bad compared to the previos LAME episodes)… I’m also gonna bet that the next ep would be more on character development..

to me, the only way to salvage this anime is to increase the episodes and get on to the storyline coz most eps have been fillers so far…its sad for an anime that has potential to just end as a trainwreck

I sometimes wonder why I cant hate this anime.. I think it has something to do with character designs, settings, and songs …..I guess….

• February 14, 2010 at 9:57 amSplash

I love Niche. She makes this series for me. Her and the flower haired girl on Railgun gotta be the 2 cutest characters of this past year (was the girls in K-on in 2008).

• February 14, 2010 at 12:51 pmIsland Esper

Is this the season of gender bender ? Hideyoshi in Baka to test, Kaoru in Ladies v Buttlers and now Zazie ??? That’s how I like sex appeal switched :/ I’m confused!

• February 14, 2010 at 2:59 pmfoamer

i’m pretty sure Zazie is 100% male, something about translation error with the scans caused the confusion i think

• February 14, 2010 at 4:15 pmSilver

Zazie is a guy. Zazie initially was a girl but later was changed abruptly although it was rather not noticeable because you were never really clear on whether Zazie was a boy or a girl so it was not really an issue when the author changed it.

@ Alec
    I definitely agree with you and the main reason is that it’s only 24/26 episodes. They still have a lot to cover and they’re already on episode 19. However, the series is still so enjoyable. I totally like all the characters. Also, there really is no reason to hate Lag. He can be emotional but cute at times. Anyway, although I definitely love Niche, I would put Lag and Sylvette together since they both are awesome and look similar hehe.

@ Rei
    Yeah, I want them too! They awesome!

• February 15, 2010 at 4:53 pmBROOKLYN otaku

YALL may want those doll’s but i want me a steak-y plushie!

• February 15, 2010 at 6:39 pmark noir

picture 12 just screams out ‘INUZUMA KICK’

• February 21, 2010 at 9:29 pmichigo_daisuki

Ha, Niche trying to cook up medicine was funny yet also cute XD
    I agree that the dolls are adorable ^_^

• March 5, 2010 at 1:28 pmSentinel

@divine: Apparently there is going to be a second season of Letter Bee? No wonder they can afford to drag the show out like this…