As expected, now that we’re at nationals the pace has finally slowed down…though not as much as I expected. I have to say, this show is really making me want to pick up the manga to see how far they’re going to go. Originally, I didn’t think we’d get all the way to the finals, since that seems like something that should be animated in the main Saki storyline first (go go season 2!). Actually, I thought we’d get right to the finals, and then it would cut off there before we see who wins. However, this speed is making me rethink that. It will be very odd if we see the finals play out here, with the spin-off’s protagonists going head-to-head with the original’s. I don’t have another comment there. It would just be odd.
Speaking of the original cast, I enjoyed the detour to see what Kiyosumi was doing. The bath scene was, of course, full of win, but then again with Nodoka there, was there ever any question? The scene with Saki (Ueda Kana) and Kyoutarou (Fukuyama Jun) was more interesting though, even if it brought up that old “so who are the real protagonists again?” question. I’ll stop mentioning that eventually, I swear. Maybe. Almost definitely maybe.
Then there was Kuro’s shellacking of the competition during Round 1. I wish they showed us more crazy mahjong there, but I guess we’re going to have to wait for next episode for that, when Achiga goes up against Senriyama. In the meantime, the revelation that Kuro has a weak defense and a relatively limited play style should make the next matches more fun. Senriyama doesn’t think Achiga can beat them, and if I know anything about the Saki universe, that means that they’ll be a serious threat. Or, you know, pull a Bansei and get steamrolled, but I doubt that will happen. With how their taichou Onjouji Toki (Ogura Yui) was looking at the end there, they’re throwing out “badass” flags all over the place. This should be fun!
Of course, Achiga doesn’t have to win to advance to the next round – two schools will go to the semi-finals, according to the brackets a few of you made last week (thank you!) – but they still have to get at least second. I wonder if this will lead to them placing 2nd in this round, and then coming back from behind to beat Senriyama in the next one…only to probably still place second to Teru’s Shiraitodai. With that kind of competition, it might not be winning that will be Achiga’s problem, but just keeping their spirits from being crushed long enough to reach the finals…
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Kuro uses her Dragon-chan powers to clobber the 1st round competition. Next ep, Senriyama attacks! Ruh roh… #SakiAchiga
- Why does that one girl have swords? Am I the only one that sees that? Am I going insane? Am I on drugs? THAT’S DANGEROUS PEOPLE! WATCH OUT!!
- On the next episode of Dragon Ball Z…
- An excited Shimizudani Ryuuka (Ishihara Kaori) is a very good thing, though not quite as good as when she has her taichou on her lap. Not sure which one I’m more jealous of…but I think it’s probably both of them.
- They’re using tablets? Great. Japanese schoolgirls are getting tablets before I have one. Clearly, I’m doing something wrong with my life, Orz.
- Proof! We have proof! The original cast may have teased us with their nopan, but Shizu one-ups them by going nobra too. Well played, young one. Well played.