「夏風邪とクジラ」 (Natsukaze to Kujira)
“Summer Colds and Whales”
I oscillate wildly between viewing this as a friendship anime and a yuri anime, and sometimes within the same episode. This was one of those episodes. On the yuri front, Rin was leading the charge. When she said that she wanted to be wherever Yuka was, I SQUEE’d and HNNNG’d all at once. SQUNNG’d? Something like that. Also, her tearful lunge at Yuka when it really wasn’t necessary spoke volumes to those whose goggles were fastened tightly. And that whole thing where Rin likes Four Seasons member Miharu (who she says is like Yuka), but wants to be Chinatsu because Chinatsu is always looking at Miharu? Just more fuel for the yuri fires!! There was also one part which you may have missed, where Saki was worrying over Natsumi in the preview. You really care, don’t you, Saki? D’aaaww :3
But I may have just enjoyed the friendship anime portion of the episode more. When Yuka and Rin were watching the video of Four Seasons, they talked about how the group was good because it was the four of them (much like Sphere itself, ZING!), which hit home nicely later in the episode when Yuka’s absence made the girls realize that they were much the same. Though this was ostensibly an episode about Rin and Yuka (in loli form or otherwise), really it all came back to Saki and her imminent departure. If it’s not the same without all four of them, even for a day, what will happen when Saki is gone forever?
I just realized a way this might end that I hadn’t considered before. Saki is already moving to Tokyo, and Yuka is jealous, because Saki will get to see all the live shows. Now Yuka wants to move to Tokyo too. Of course, Rin wants to be wherever Yuka is, and it was heavily implied last episode that Natsumi might swing a certain way since she got all embarrassed about being shipped with a Four Seasons idol. Since Saki is obviously a candidate for her real affection, that would give her reason to want to be in Tokyo as well. Perhaps the end isn’t that the girls wish for Saki to stay, but that all the girls go to Tokyo instead. It might not even be through wishing on the Big Rock…they might wait as long as college to get there, but eventually, they would all be together again. Together, and having made the choice to grow up instead of stay as kids.
The good thing is, I have no idea if that will happen! Like I said back in episode 1, I love following original series because none of us knows what will happen. All I know is that these four girls are really good friends, and it warms my hearts to see them together. Have you ever had a friendship like that? I know I have, and it’s a wonderful feeling. Does my old heart good to see it again.
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – The four of them are best together. So what happens when one of them is gone, either for a few days, or forever? #NatsuiroKiseki
- Something about the art was weird this week, especially with Yuka. It seemed like her head was too…round, maybe? Not sure.
- Rin got rained on a bit, so she got a cold. Uhm, hate to break it to you, but colds don’t work like that, Nippon. It’s a virus. L2science.
- So Rin sees a whale when she’s sick. Uh, okay. That’s not insane at all, Rin-chan. Not at all… *shifty eyea*
- Those twintails, that ponytail, that …whatever this is! Some character designer is clearly having a lot of fun with Yuka’s hair.
- This picture makes it look like they’re .0004732 seconds from hot yuri luvin’. This is intentionally misleading, because that did not happen, and also exactly why I chose this picture. Leave me with my dreams!!
- Just kiss already, dammit.