「うん、先生が最強だよ！」 (Un, Sensei ga Saikyou da yo!)
“Yeah, Sensei is the Strongest!”
This was a superb episode. My main qualm with season 1 was that while the comedy was great, the plot was weak at times. Not so here. In this episode Studio Deen managed to mix a bunch of plot in with plenty of comedy, and balance it all really well. I know I’m prone to forgive this series for a lot – it has given us Yukinori, Taeko, and Sera doing things like this, which’ll earn you a lot of good will, let me tell you – but this truly felt like a good balancing act, making this one of the best (if not the best) episodes of this season. And coming from the guy who has loved almost every episode, that’s saying something.
The episode started with an explanation of why Haruna was hurting at the end of last episode. It turns out that using Yuu’s power comes with Yuu’s drawbacks as well, namely that Haruna was now suffering intense pain whenever she spoke or experienced extreme emotions…which, this being Haruna, is all the time. Aside from her getting in on the Yuu fashion, this also meant that YUU COULD TALK NOW YAY!! Hearing original Yuu so much in one episode was nice, especially since she finally got to say that “itterashai” that Ayumu has been fantasizing about for so long.
Speaking of that, let’s talk about Ayumu’s fantasies. Probably the funniest single moment in an episode full of funny moments was the revelation that yes, Yuu actually does know about all your fantasies, Ayumu! Her actually asking him to fantasize about her was great, especially since it resulted in some of the most devestating fantasies we’ve seen to date. Yuu saying sempai was marvelous. We were also treated to the debut of mousou Haruna, with predictable (but still funny) consequences. Even in Ayumu’s mind, Haruna goes where she pleases. +5 Stilts points for whoever gets that reference.
But that was all just setting up for the meat of the episode, which involved our heretofore only lightly used Yousei-san. I really liked the plan she used to get around her curse, because it was subtle and only a shade convoluted, which kept it from being too convenient. The only thing that really was convenient was the ring – not how she got it off Yukinori (side note: you made Yukinori cry. I will kill you. I will kill you with my bare hands), but how Ayumu got it in the first place. The guy just appears with exactly what she needs when the rest of the ingredients are falling into place? Ehhhh. Still, that’s a minor qualm, and it might just mean that we’ll be seeing more of that blood vomiting guy in the future. In fact, I expect we will.
Anyway, it turns out that boring sensei was Yousei-san, whose real name is Chris (finally!), and that she’s an insanely powerful masou shoujo who was once Dai-sensei’s mentor. Oh. Fuck. Yes. This is going to be awesome (is what I said when these facts were revealed). I’m going to go over some of the reasons why in the random thoughts below, but the most plot-relevant part is this – Chris is powerful, on the loose, and it looks like Dai-sensei is going to loose the hounds to stop her…and by hounds, I mean Kyouko. Insane masou shoujo vs insanely powerful (and frequently drunk) masou shoujo? Oh yeah. This is going to be good.
Ayumu, I don’t think that Chris is truly evil, she just wants to be free of her curse. It’s up to you to stop her, and then save her! And, you know, try to stop Kyouko from disembolwing you. Again. I can’t imagine that’s much fun.
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Yuu speaks, Haruna can’t, Yukinori cries, Ayumu fantasizes, Anderson-kun flies, Sera nyans, & Yousei-san…well, it’s good times 😉 #korezon
- Why is Sera’s yellow shirt always almost falling off her left breast? Not that I mind.
- Yukinori is ridiculously cute. Yes, there’s NO way you can tell her where you got the ring from now, Ayumu. Just marry her and be done with it. You lucky fuckin’ bastard you.
- Saras was okay with her kuso darling giving a ring to Yukinori? Well, I guess she only wants one part of him… >_<
- Seifuku Sera, HNNNNG! And then there’s nyan nyan neko Sera, HNNNNNN- *bursts a blood vessel*
- I approve of this Dai-sensei-always-in-the-bath initiative. Also, why does it seem like all my random thoughts are perverted ones? =X
- Oh, so being transformed into a middle-aged man is the worst curse ever? As someone who will one day be a middle-aged man (and probably get there sooner than most of you for whom this is an option), I think…you’re probably right, Orz. Pass me the sake, Chris.
- Speaking of, Chris had to get drunk, to loosen her curse. I wish I had that good of an excuse.
- Wait, when did I start watching Angel Beats? Yurippe, is that you?