OP: 「ZONE / / ALONE」 by 茅原実里 (Chihara Minori)
Watch the OP!: Streaming ▼
「朱の場の部員達」 (Shu No Ba No Buin Tachi)
“Club Members in Scarlet”
Before we get started, some housecleaning matters. This is the start of Season II, so if you need a refresher on Season I (or an overview of how Horizon’s Earth works in general), check out the retrospective posts I published last week. Part 1 has a lot of basic information + summaries, explanations, and impressions of episodes 01-06, while Part 2 goes over episodes 07-13 and includes a big old final impression of the season at the end. Seiyuu names for all previously introduced characters are in the character list of Part 1, so I won’t be repeating those here.
Now, I’m going to split these posts up into two parts – explanations and impressions. Since Kyoukaisen can be tricky, the explanations are for anything I think might confuse you, or I had to go look up myself. Click on the spoiler tags in the explanation section for the answers to those questions. As for impressions, that’s the usual RandomC blogging fare, done in glorious Stilts-loves-Kyoukaisen-way-too-much detail. Let’s get to it!
What are Testament Arma?
What do Tres España’s Testament Arma do?
What is with Era Fusae’s and Hironaka Takakane’s legs?
What are those red things sticking out from the side of Juana’s, Era’s, and Diego’s heads?
Why don’t Era Fusae or Naomasa get inside their Gods of War?
What is with Michiyuki Byakko’s weirdly thin legs?
Why did Masazumi tell that terrible joke?
What does Juana’s Armament of Deadly Sins do?
Why does Musashi “win” if they can keep Great Britain from stopping them for three minutes?
Why is Great Britain’s Student Council called the “Trump”?
Great Britain, Innocentius, and the Spanish Armada
Why did Malga start talking to Asama about making a doujinshi in the middle of a battle?
Why did Asama shoot Malga? And why was it the smart thing to do?
Why is Shakespeare’s first name “Thomas”?
As I anticipated in my episode 13 impressions, this season started off with Tres España’s attack on Musashi, and it was indeed awesome! Seeing all those familiar faces, even though it has only been like a week for me, was quite fun, and it did the same thing the original first episode did, which was give a nice taste of the action and comedy that Kyoukaisen can bring to bear and whet my appetite for what was to come. Let’s get into it.
First, Naomasa. Her rumble with Era Fusae (Asano Masumi) was mostly interesting for what said opponent did. Era’s Michiyuki Byakko is a beast, both in how it acted and the sheer power it displayed. On par with divine weapons like Futayo’s Tonbokiri, its ability is to always find an opening in its opponent’s guard – or as I like to think of it, to ignore its opponent’s DEF stat 😀 I winced when Michiyuki Byakko destroyed Jizuri Suzaku’s leg, but despite Era’s taunting (her “Suzaku no nisemomo”), it turned out that Naomasa wasn’t really trying to win – she was just stalling for time at the behest of Neshinbara, so they could RAM TRES ESPAÑA’s SHIP WITH ONE OF THEIR OWN! O.O Oh Neshinbara, you’re so awesome, but more on that later.
Enter Masazumi! Weirdly enough, one of the things I love about Kyoukaisen is how they frequently use negotiation and debate to solve problems when most shows would go straight to violence. Well, that’s not what happened today! After Masazumi’s terrible joke (see explanation section for why she did this), it became clear what their real plan was…park on top of the Tres España ship and nuke the fuck out of it. Swiftly approved!
Not that Juana (Tanaka Rie) was going to let that happen. From the second she activated her Akidía Katárripsi (sin: Sloth, see explanation section for details), I knew it wouldn’t work on Toori. I mean, there can’t be anything about Toori’s body that he’s disgusted with, not with how often he’s naked! Though come to think of it, he also just wasn’t on the ship when Juana’s attack struck, so maybe he just dodged it?
Either way, what I was surprised about was that Horizon was so badly affected. That’s an admission of failure on my part though, because it’s really quite obvious. The weapon focuses on the disgust one has with one’s self, and Horizon, as an Automated Doll who has been stripped of all her emotions and probably wishes she was still human, has plenty she probably isn’t fond of about her current situation. But back to Toori, I loooooved his solution to their Juana problem. She got the “full Toori”, HAH! But even more priceless was seeing Tenzou cry about how the first mysterious princess that’s fallen into his arms was Toori. Priceless!
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Musashi fights off Tres España…and then runs right into a battle with Great Britain! Action right from the start. Loving it. #Kyoukaisen
- No, I did not forget the other super-hilarious part of this episode. Horizon’s punishment for Toori because he let himself get felt up by another woman was as funny as it was cringe-inducing. The Armament in her soul, Ólos Phthonos, is the one based on jealousy, so it was fun seeing her show one of the few emotions she has right now. Plus, her deadpanned “a-ano dorobo neko” (lit. “that thieving cat”, which translates into something like “that dirty whore”) was so HNNNNNG!! *Stilts bursts a blood vessel*
- Speaking of Horizon, I’m glad to see she got a new outfit. Musashi Ariadust Academy’s uniform has never looked better, nyahaha! \o/
- Futayo’s Tonbokiri (that’s Slicing Dragonfly…I’ve decided I like the Japanese name better) is really strong. A weapon with an any-magic dispell and a one-hit KO attack? Overpowered. If all Divine Weapons are like that, the hierarchy is probably Testament Arma –> Divine Weapons –> Armaments of Deadly Sins…though of course, the best solution is still to get as many of all of the above as possible 😀
- I loved Innocentius’ sigh after Masazumi’s terrible joke. You just keep losing to that old man, don’t you Seijun? :3
- It’s okay Neito and Masazumi, your chests are fine the way they are ~_^
- So Juana’s overdrive didn’t affect Toori (I think, unless he just dodged it). I wonder if it would have affected Kimi-nee? We need an answer to this, pronto!
- I forgot to mention, but it was impressive that Tres España managed to stop Lype Katarripsi’s attack, even if it took two Testament Arma, a Divine Weapon-level God of War, and Gin almost getting toasted to do it. They proved they’re antagonists that won’t be pushed around. Nice.
- Speaking of Gin, you just know by the looks she exchanged with Futayo (and what we saw in the OP) that those two are going to be at each other’s throats the whole season. Yay, can’t wait!
- Geez, what is with Great Britain always being a floating island in the anime I cover?
- Robert Dudley, William Cecil…WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAACE?
- Fun fact: Asama and Kimi-nee’s breasts make different poyon sounds. Maybe Horizon’s too, though it’s pretty similar to Kimi-nee’s. N-Not that I was listening or anything! *tsun tsun*
- Fun fact #2: I write way too much. “Mountains of Text,” Neshinbara? I CHALLENGE YOU TO A WORD DUEL!!
Full-length images: 20.
ED: 「悲しみは誰の願いでもない」 (Kanashimi wa Dare no Negai Demonai) by アイラ結城 (Aira Yuki)