「土上の下り者」 (Do Jou no Kudari-mono)
“Those Descending to the Surface”
Why did Toori not die when Futayo bound his reflection?
What’s up with the graveyard?
Felipe, Muneshige’s title, and the Hashiba
Shirojiro vs Charles Howard – the Meat Trading Showdown
Suzu, Adele, and Futayo as “hostages.”
Alrighty, I’m going to attempt to keep this brief (pffft, Stilts keep something brief? Chea right) because I just spent the better part of an hour writing an explanation of future-past economics, and also it’s late and I have work tomorrow. There were four major things I really enjoyed about this episode, so, as is my wont, I’ll tackle each of them in turn.
Horizon! This week we finally learned why Horizon was suddenly sleeping twenty hours a day. It’s sometimes hard to remember, since she’s no different than most emotionless girls (trope!) – save for that mean right hook of hers *cringe* – but Horizon is a robot. Also, she had a rather rough time at Juana’s hands a couple of episodes back, so it makes sense that her internal systems / programs might need some tweaks and/or repairs. Still, what’s with all the nut shots, Horizon!? Clearly you’re the S to Toori’s M, but I think you’re going to want to, ahem, you know…use that, uh, thing, uhm…some…*fidgets* *fidgets* You know what? Never mind.
Muneshige and Gin! The whole shaving bit was funny, especially when Felipe almost made it worse, but the big thing here was the revelation that Muneshige was the one who severed Gin’s arms. I don’t know what made him do that – though I’m sure he had a good reason, given his personality + the obvious love Gin has for him – but now I reeeeeally want to know what that reason was. Wake the hell up, Peerless of the West! You have some serious questions to answer!!
Tenzou and Scarred! As I said last episode, Scarred is indeed a woman, and as I heard from the crazy people who defiltered her voice, she is indeed voiced by Horie Yui! I must admit, I’m not as big of a fan of Hocchan as many (don’t fire me Divine, I’ll try harder!), because she really only uses one voice, but I enjoyed the soft tones she was using here. Three stars.
Anyway, Scarred and Tenzou’s conversation about Double Bloody Mary made it abundantly clear (to me) that Mary and Scarred are one and the same. First of all, she was extremely critical of Mary in a way that screamed of self-deprecation. Then there’s the fact that she has a chain around one leg, which says “prisoner” to me. As for why she’s not confined to the Tower of London like she’s supposed to be, I assume that’s because Queen Elizabeth and the other higher ups don’t think she’ll run away, because she’s not the kind of person who would run when she knows some other woman would be given the Mary names and executed to start the Spanish Armada in her place. Personally, I am now extremely excited to see how Tenzou gets her out of that whole mess. As much as I love Horizon and Toori, for some reason I’ve always been a sucker for beta couples, and having a nice honorable pervert like Tenzou get a slammin’ hottie…well, that’s every man’s dream, ne?
Capitalism, ho! Check the explanation section for a details on what happened here, but as for my impressions, they boil down to one thing – don’t fuck with Shirojiro. He may be useless in anything that doesn’t involve money, but when money is involved, he is not to be trifled with! But seriously, it’s sections like these that set Kyoukaisen apart from other anime. While there are plenty of shows about fighting and war, there are few that throw high stakes business negotiations into the mix (Spice and Wolf is the only one I can think of, though I’m sure there are others…maybe). Things like politics, debate, and business hold the potential for the protagonists to completely and utterly lose without risking the death of a beloved character, which actually has the effect of raising the tension in my eyes. It also takes us to conflicts less traveled, which is nice after seasons full of of sword fights and romantic misunderstandings…though Kyoukaisen has those too, so the best of both worlds!
Next week we’ll presumably see some preparations for this joint Spring Sports Festival, which I am eagerly looking forward to. It looks like the battle of the Spanish Armada will happen soon, but if they can fit in a quick undoukai then I won’t mind! Especially if it involves Ambassador Suzu and bodyguards Adele and Futayo! Holy crap, that’s three of my most favoritest characters set to travel through England together! That plus the possibility of Tenzou and Scarred-chan going around the festival together…HNNNNNG– *massive nosebleed*
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – The pervert ninja gets a love interest, the blind girl becomes an ambassador, & the miser takes his counterpart to the cleaners #Kyoukaisen
- Aoi Toori is naked again! To all those of you who were happy he put clothing back on last episode…c’mon, you knew that couldn’t last. After all, this is Toori we’re talking about.
- A helpful Gin is a scary Gin. Eep!
- I find Felipe to be a very interesting character. He’s a leader who no longer wants to lead, and would prefer to do the shopping and clean up instead. He’s clearly a very kind man, but I wish he would have more faith in himself. C’mon Felipe, buck up. Do it for Juana, at least!
- “Excalibur Caliburn” is such a silly name. C’mon Japan, I know you know the better! Still, I liked Tenzou’s little trick for pulling a sword out of the ground. That’s another example of the little details being everything in Kyoukaisen.
- What is with characters getting nailed in the nuts this season!? And it’s not even all in this show. You’re making me relive bad memories, Japan. Have mercy!
- As I said, don’t mess with Shirojiro. Not only will he take you for all you’re worth, he’ll also feed you nasty food to put you off guard. Though actually, that food didn’t look bad to me, but apparently the English guys weren’t fans. C’mon, I’ve seen what English people eat. Sashimi is an upgrade.
- Charles Howard, you’ve got a bit of a tell there. Just sayin’.
- By the way, I liked everyone’s chat handles, like Neito’s “Silver Wolf,” Naomasa’s “Smoking Woman,” and Kimi-nee’s “Smart Big Sis.” Dunno why, but all these characters having handles like the ones we use here just makes them seem more relatable to me. Also, that’s the first hint we’ve gotten Naomasa smokes like she did in the LNs (though that detail was taken out for the anime so far). Nice.
- If the sound Suzu heard is coming from London Tower, and Scarred really is Double Bloody Mary (who is supposed to be imprisoned there), then anyone want to bet that Suzu and her group will be instrumental in setting Scarred-chan free? But no betting from the LN readers! That’s cheating.
- I have the same reaction when women ask if they can call me “Stilts-sama.” By the way, the answer is yes, especially if you’re a busty blonde. Banzai!