「無法者とミスリルアイズ」 (Muhoumono to Misuriruaizu)
“The Outlaw and Mithril Eyes”
Naotsugu gains a Shoulder Cleric! It’s very effective!
Note: Please do not post spoilers. LN readers, you know what I’m talking about. I’m tired of editing comments to hide them, so stop it.
William Massachusetts – Not Such a Bad Guy After All
When William Massachusetts and his guild Silver Sword left Akihabara in season one, he seemed like kind of a dick. He seemed to have no concern for the problems outside his guild, something even Isaac, who can be a bit of an ass, had. That’s why I was pleasantly surprised when Shiroe marched in, said he had a request, and William replied: “Understood. I’m in.” That was fast!
What happened was I confused a certainty of purpose and a lack of desire to be actively involved in fixing the world with a rotten character. William is the kind of guy who, in a democracy, would vote and then not worry about what the politicians are getting up to. He has one thing he wants to do, raid, and he’s good at it. And there’s nothing wrong with that! Mostly … the fact that he was in a position to do more and then didn’t does make him seem callous, because he is. But that doesn’t mean he’s a bad person. He just has one thing he wants to do, and he didn’t want to let council meetings get in the way of what he loves. I can dig that.
Galactic Flying Snow Idol, Tetora-chan!
And the reward for new best character goes to Tetora-chan (Fujii Yukiyo)! I was laughing my ass off during her entire introduction, and not only because of her! Regan was also scoring multiple points, from showing that he too is an open pervert to his fart comment! (“Idols don’t fart!”) It’s sad how much people distrust poor Regan, because he’s a hilarious old guy. If Naotsugu likes him, shouldn’t you? That’s what I thought.
But Tetora, man… How hilarious! I think my favorite part was probably how Naotsugu just found himself a pocket healer. No—a shoulder cleric! That’s every tank’s dream, to have a healer all his own, and Naotsugu lucked into one … with some complications. If you can put up with her vain, self-satisfied attitude (bordering hard on arrogance) and her penchant for teasing. If she’s a good healer? Totally worth it. Those are hard to come by. Also, she managed to get inside Naotsugu’s armor somehow, so that shows some serious skill. Not sure what kind of skill, but hey!
Naotsugu x Marie. Shipping Furiously!
As opposed to the ever-present (in anime) harem, I prefer the mass-OTP (trope!), stories with a bunch of canon couples that can actually develop into relationships, something a harem rarely has. Oh, love triangles are fine—Log Horizon has indulged in those a bit—but when you get past maybe two disappointed love interests when a relationship begins, there’s too much sadness, and too much fighting among shippers. I prefer everyone to have a chance at love.
So it should come as no surprise that I’m rooting for Naotsugu and Marie. Naotsugu’s sudden outburst about how Marie is the clear winner was both accurate and fuel for the shipping fires when he began to blush. Better yet was the call they had later on, them both hoping Naotsugu would be back by christmas, and Marie’s fidgeting in the face of Henrietta’s interrogation. These kinds of hints are what happen in the run up to a relationship actually starting (in fiction). I’m calling it now—Marie x Naotsugu is going to happen! (Mark those spoilers LN readers. I swear to the gods, if you ruin this for me…) I believe in it.
Shiroe’s Real Power: Pissing People Off
Shiroe is a good strategist, but his skills there pale in comparison to how deftly he tweaked Democracy-san’s buttons. Thanks again to Tetora for spilling the beans on how whipp–I mean, settled down Demi-Demi is getting, but that grin! Honestly, I don’t blame Deluxe-san. If someone were laughing at me like that, with that sigh and that smirk, I’d want to slug em too. You really ought to grow up though, Tofu in Miso Sauce-san. Your hanayome won’t like it if you’re fighting *snicker*
Looking Ahead – Raid Time
Log Horizon doesn’t depend on MMO-stlye combat to keep us entertained, but I still enjoy it when they do. That’s the biggest part of most MMOs, and raids are what I most remember from my time playing the late 90’s / early 2000’s MMOs Log Horizon was based on. (For a little reminiscing, check out the bottom of the collaboration My Way or the Anime post from Moomba and me.) That plus more uncertain Akatsuki, and it looks like next week is going to be another good episode.
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Naotsugu got a shoulder cleric while flirting w/ the pretty cleric back home. That plus Shiroe pissing off Demi-Demi, hah! #loghorizon s2e2
- William’s talk about death being humbling was interesting. From what he said, I think of it kind of like boot camp. There’s some benefit in breaking you down to build you back up, but what if you’re constantly being broken down, over and over and over and over again, (and over, and over), and then have to soldier on without being built back up? Eventually you’ll not want to do it anymore. It must be humbling, to realize how shit you are when you once stood on top of this world. Or so William made it sound. I’m sure we’ll learn more soon.
- I like how most of the time, a girl spending so much time tormenting a guy would be a sign that she’s tsundere for him, but in Akatsuki’s case she just appears to be annoyed with Naotsugu’s antics. The Curse of Akatsuki is real, Naotsugu! Beware!
- Demarcation-san’s wife gained some pudge. Oh my. Don’t tell me that he… Ufufu~ *smug smile*
- Naotsugu has been downgraded to a tsundere vehicle carrying an alternate vehicle, the sword and (surfing) board. Tetora-chan saikyou!
- Did DEEN upgrade Henrietta’s assets, or is that outfit just more flattering to her figure? I can’t tell, but I’m fine with it either way! Related: I feel like Demi-Demi got buffer too. Fun for all the boys and girls, DEEN-style!
- Disclaimer: Mark your spoilers. I don’t care if something is “obvious”, if it hasn’t been stated in the show yet, don’t mention it. LN readers know what I’m referring to. Some of you already spoiled me on a few upcoming things, and I’d like to spare anime-only viewers more of that. Thank you.