Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works – 04 »« Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works – 02

Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works – 03

「初戦」 (Shosen)
“First Battle”

After an episode full of dialogue, this week’s ramped things back up with an intense fight between two of the strongest servants duking it out one-on-one.

Illyasviel von Einzbern

There’s so much I want to say about this episode but with a lot of my hype stemming from the knowledge of what’s going to happen as well as what’s happened in the past, it makes it fairly difficult to really talk about what’s going on. Hands down though, I think this episode made it clear just how overpowered Illya is as a mage. Even though she may look like a tiny little elementary school girl, her knowledge and powers as a mage would make you think otherwise. Able to control complex familiars to aid her in battle while supplying the necessary mana to keep Berserker on his feet against someone like Saber, it makes you wonder just what kind of people these Einzberns are/were.

On the other hand, you have to hand it to Shirou for standing firm in his promises and heading straight toward the intense battle to help Saber. Even though he really wasn’t able to do much, you have to wonder how he knew to pull Saber away from Archer’s A-Class attack. Maybe it’s a sign that he has more abilities as a mage then he originally thought?

Other Little Things

Something that I nearly forgot about after watching everything unfold was just how well Rin managed to hold her own in that awfully one-sided battle she got stuck fighting. Sure we got to see bits and pieces of her skills as a mage but I personally thought it was really cool to see her lock Shirou down in the forest in a matter of seconds. While it probably doesn’t hold much meaning, it’s nice to know she’s as skilled physically as she is magically. Also, did you get a good glimpse of what Archer shot at Berserker before it faded away? c;

Looking Ahead

Boy oh boy was this week’s episode great. Full of action that made up for the complete lack of it last week, I’m perfectly content with how things seem to be panning out thus far. With a good mix of delicious scenes like this and just enough heavy dialogue to explain the finer points of what’s going on around us, it looks like we’re in for some awesome things down the road! See you next week! c:

October 26, 2014 at 2:50 am
  • October 26, 2014 at 3:05 amKevz

Archer’s smile is gold!

• October 26, 2014 at 10:44 amDwarg

which archer though :D ? http://i.imgur.com/AP6v80j.png

• October 26, 2014 at 1:02 pmAnonymousperson

Spoilerz.

• October 26, 2014 at 1:49 pmswa

Nothing can be done, the comment section is a spoilerfest.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:01 pmDwarg

what spoiler? tell me who watches Fate UBW and didn’t watch fate/zero and i will show you a liar.

• October 26, 2014 at 3:12 amHanabira.Kage

• October 26, 2014 at 1:02 pmAnonymousperson

Why the downvotes on this? He’s right, it’s Show Spoiler ▼

• October 26, 2014 at 1:39 pmdaikama

Anonymousperson: Why the downvotes on this?

Maybe because… all these weapon name drops which have not been mentioned yet in the UBW anime are potential spoilers? >_> Per my comment above, note how Takaii put such discussions in spoiler tags.

• October 26, 2014 at 1:41 pmdaikama

Correction – per my comment below, not above.

• October 30, 2014 at 7:04 amAnonymousperson

Yet Ptolemaios00′s comment below says the exact same thing, with no spoiler tag either.

• October 26, 2014 at 3:18 amCiaossu

This episode is so action pack!!! And I’m probably thinking that the animation is better than Fate/Zero (or upgraded version). xD

• October 26, 2014 at 3:36 amboingman

No weird noses either. :D

• October 26, 2014 at 3:22 amMisk

Holy shit
    Dat mini Excalibur
    DAT ARCHER NUKE

Excuse me while I rewatch this for the 6434354th time…

• October 26, 2014 at 9:05 amPtolemaios00

• October 26, 2014 at 1:58 pmhiei

mini excalibur = what saber did to blow berserker?

• October 26, 2014 at 6:11 pmcruiser2710

Kuro WAS from the ARCHER CARD… So no surprise if they share the same arsenal

• October 26, 2014 at 9:08 pmflCer

It’s also in Gilgamesh’s Gate of Babylon. In Fate/Zero ep5, when Gilamesh fought Berserker with Saber, Rider, Lancer, and Assasin in the background, Gil fires that sword from his gate of babylon. I’m guessing it’s of particular significance since it’s shown in so many different shows. I might add that the ‘Calabolg’ was shown to have significant destructive power even when fired within the Gates.

• October 26, 2014 at 10:20 amewok40k

nuking enemy from another zip code!
      Archer is the ultimate sniper…
      thats some mighty ranged DPS

• October 26, 2014 at 1:19 pmdaikama

Positing names of well known legendary weapons, particularly ones tied to well known mythological characters which have not been mentioned yet in the actual anime is a spoiler (and this includes any corrections). You might note that Takaii used spoiler tags for such discussions.

• October 27, 2014 at 12:38 pmMisk

Woops, my bad. I didn’t realize that not everyone may be coming to this series after watching Fate/Zero. Gomen D;

• October 26, 2014 at 3:28 amAbdulJakulSalsalani

Of course Berserker is OP because he is the son of Zeus and brother of Perseus.

• October 26, 2014 at 4:18 amTassadar

Spoileeeer!

• October 26, 2014 at 4:57 amGermanguy

What knowledge of old Greek Gods, is Spoiler?

• October 26, 2014 at 5:23 amTassadar

That you can find out Berserker’s identity before the show actually tells you, maybe..??

• October 26, 2014 at 5:33 amJuan

Giving the name of the heroic spirit is

• October 26, 2014 at 6:15 amGermanguy

well, original Berserker came from the Viking Age or so, Followers of Odin. But your “Spoiler” crying just confirmed that he was right. So much to that

• October 26, 2014 at 6:25 amCrook

@Germanguy: Coming from the person who was complaining about spoiler tags last time. This is how you spoil people. Telling people about the details of a heroic spirit (or any anime character for that matter) can really ruin a good revelation, moreover, the way he did it was completely unnecessary.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:42 amGermanguy

And? What the original Poster mean.. Just Google it. Google is the great spoiler of all

• October 26, 2014 at 6:59 amGermanguy

yeah, in the past i was that. But what got it me? A downvoter stalker. Trolls that say that my speculations are spoilers. i got so much love for being the good guy, and fight against spoilers. Now i give it a damm. I just be the same as you guys. use the same medicine

• October 26, 2014 at 8:49 amShiden

I generally don’t respond to your posts, because, really, there’s little to comment on and I dislike making these things personal, but seriously, get over yourself.

You know what gets you downvotes? Hypocrisy, irritating and ridiculous posts, insults to other posters, and a completely overblown persecution complex that lets you think that you’re some untouchable holy figure, while everyone else is just out to get you.

I actually spent a couple minutes while writing this to go back a couple weeks and look at your posts. A lot of them are 0/0 (as are a lot of posts here). Some have piles of upvotes. And then you have posts like these that are downvoted all the way. See if you notice a pattern. You don’t have stalkers, you have an inability to reflect on why people are downrating your comments.

• October 26, 2014 at 9:55 amboingman

Exactly, in this particularly comments section I downvoted his spoiler discussion postings, because I absolutely do NOT agree with him, but later on I good repped his blood couging comment. This is no witch hunt.

• October 26, 2014 at 10:28 amGermanguy

You got it wrong. i am no slave to this Facebook Universe that is spreading through the Internet. i am a Independent Person, that life longer then Facebook exists. i am no slave to this digital useless Karma with these Votes. I am no slave to the My Life is inside the facebook and my digital friends are important to me.

i am someone that use the Internet as a tool. I am not living in the Net. my world is the real world, where i have real friends, and no one is mad or angry at me. because they know me how i am, an no one goes there and tell me to change, because facebook said it.

Sorry, it may now sound harsh. But as you see, this here is not accumulate in weeks. This is is a long run. it began slowly, but after i try to defend a friend on some slipped Log Horizon comment in the past, the Hate i receive left a dent on my Digital World

I do not love or marriage my Car, because i use it. I use the Car because i need to go here and there

Thats the different base we have. And i hang here around to be a Lighthouse for someones that seek help or guidance in Animes with little Time to read. thats why i invented my appetizers

Don not get me wrong, i am not mad at you. i just wished, you had posted earlier, when i was walking on the edge. Now i fallen to my Dark side, and i need some time to stabilize myself.

• October 26, 2014 at 4:59 pmlolol

If you say so, we can’t stop you being that way, we human have different mindsets just that majority of us want to have spoilers tags. Not everyone are the same intelligent as yours that you know more then what we know. Some people seeks more enjoyment in a different manner, just that hope you didn’t trampled ours that’s all.

• October 26, 2014 at 9:56 pmGermanguy

It is the (Facebook) Swarm that decide what is right and what is wrong here. If i dont bend to their will, they abuse the downvoting system here

• October 27, 2014 at 7:26 amCrook

Where exactly does Facebook come into play? I’m quite confused.

• October 27, 2014 at 8:57 amGermanguy

Just see, what is happen right now? The Swarm here is using the Downvote Facebook function to shut me up.
        When i said this is a Spoiler, the answer was, then they should not click or read it. But if anyone now post a spoiler, nobody care. You guy focus only now on me. But alright. I am used to it. Your the Swarm. i am independent. The Swarm has no real mind, they just follow the mass. I am running free

Feel free to bullying my others comments on this page, when the swarm is in rage there is no end to that

btw, i found out that this Downvoter “swarm” are in real only 4-5 people. thanks to Flashcookies. Even if you logout and get a new IP to trick the system here. the cookie betrays you

• October 27, 2014 at 9:30 amfragb85

You get downvoted because you deserve it. You are the only one who complains about it and worse you provide nothing but worthless walls of text. Here’s a tip: if you get downvoted, shut up, suck it up, and move on. Complaining about it makes you look pathetic.

Dozens of commenters have been downvoted, and have proven to be man enough not to say anything. The fact that you can’t even do that means you have no right to look down on anyone.

• October 27, 2014 at 8:50 pmBanana Furikake

I think the Facebook thing comes with this:

• October 26, 2014 at 3:39 amboingman

Unlimited Budget works, huh?
    Those who have seen F/Z, should recognize Illya’s magic. Nice touch.
    Her fight against Rin was anime original btw.

• October 27, 2014 at 11:50 pmKidokuOuyou

I actually feels like crying when I saw her magic..

• October 26, 2014 at 3:45 amfragb85

I was wondering why the fight with Berserker was held back last episode and I got my answer: UFOTABLE was saving the battle for an ENTIRE EPISODE. In the VN it was just a short scene on the park, the cemetery battle and then Archer’s giant explosion and that was it the end of the battle. My initial assessment of the battle was that it would only take around 7-10 minutes of screen time.

UFOTABLE on the other hand greatly expanded the fight. The first half of the episode is spent fighting on the park first, then the second half on the cemetery. Any yet it never felt slow because I felt invested the whole way. Getting the audience hooked on a single battle for 20 minutes is difficult to do so I have to give kudos for the director on that.

Its nice to see Berserker finally portrayed properly. He is not a lumbering giant like DEEN showed him as. He is much more agile and faster than any servant despite his massive size. Combined with his strength, it makes him that much more of a threat than before. Its also nice to show the fact that he can resurrect himself for the benefit for the new audiences. Otherwise the only one who would have know that would be those who read the VN.

The mage duel between Rin and Illya is entirely anime original and I’m certainly not complaining. I always appreciate more Rin screentime and it establishes her status as the main heroine. I do wonder if they are going to address Rin’s depleting supply of gems though. The VN made it quite clear those things don’t grow on trees.

And speaking of more anime original scenes, I do like also the added moments between Rin and Shirou. The scenes may be new, but it doesn’t feel out of character for them. Rin showing her own tsundere concern of Shirou, while Shirou is still his altruistic self. Shirou in particular is a doing a great job being more likable that his previous incarnation, showing some rationality as opposed to being an obnoxious, sexist, idiot like before.

TLDR: UFOTABLE has done a magnificent job of entertaining both new and old audience of this long running franchise. I hope they can keep this up for 2 cours.

• October 26, 2014 at 9:05 amRandom Comment

Archer: Rob…Mmm, no, go collect them from the jewelers.

Rin: ARE YOU INSANE? Me, resorting to common robbery? My parents will turn in their graves! D=<

Archer: You own the land, right? Then you're just collecting rent, that's all.

Rin: …. Gunununu…. *fights temptation*

• October 26, 2014 at 6:50 pmMincemaker

Make this happen!

• October 26, 2014 at 9:07 amRandom Comment

Jokes aside, I’m surprised that ufotable (and/or Nasu) decided to use some elements from Fate/Zero (you know the one =3) for the Illya/Rin encounter. Add in Saber’s reaction upon seeing Illya and it’s the Zero nostalgia coming in again =3

• October 26, 2014 at 11:59 amkssyu

Good point on the jewels. I was wondering that myself. The VN said she had 10 after summoning Archer. By my count, she used 4 this episode. So she only has 6 left? Maybe the show would do it differently and expand her jewel collection a bit to allow for her to fill a more active role.

• October 26, 2014 at 2:03 pmhiei

that moment wasnt in character for rin at all

• October 26, 2014 at 4:46 pmanonymous

Rin pleases old men for jewels. Hohohohoho!

• October 26, 2014 at 4:36 amlolol

I not sure why, i find this scene when Shirou Rescue Saber kinda surprisingly cute.

• October 26, 2014 at 5:01 amGermanguy

My Speculation why he cough Blood afterwards. He gave unknown to him, his Mana supply to Saber. So she could heal herself and shield from the Explosion. That explain the strain on his Body

• October 26, 2014 at 4:52 amRakeene

What’s scarier than a hulking brute is a hulking brute with crazy agility.

• October 26, 2014 at 5:01 amGermanguy

..and only weak in Melee close range. Long range attacks are useless

• October 28, 2014 at 3:54 pmUngas123

Actually, he’s not weak in melee. It’s just that Saber’s sword is just IMBA.

• October 26, 2014 at 5:02 amyokushi

That sword actually was not the sword you think it was.

• October 26, 2014 at 5:10 amNothingLess

A whole Episode of Battle,so EPIC(I was surprised when I saw Berserker doing Capoera lol)and Illya,she’s one hell of girl,seriously!So many new things I saw on this FSN,I’m so satisfied.This Anime will be the best anime ever between 2014-2015(Well for me of course,I don’t know about others).
    But I wonder how many Episodes it had,I hope it will last for 24 Ep instead of 13 or 12 Ep.

• October 26, 2014 at 5:34 amyokushi

It is already confirmed to be 2 cours. So 24-26 episodes.

• October 26, 2014 at 5:14 amSoliloquy

I think Ufotable delivered plenty and more. The fact that they are tweaking the series a little to reference Fate/Zero is just a cherry on top and very good news. I hope Ilya gets some more screentime.

• October 26, 2014 at 5:28 amNecro

my jaw hurt from all the grinning i did during that episode.

• October 26, 2014 at 5:44 am4deep6me

Prisma Illya and Breakdancing Berserker w/ dubstep BGM are the best

Great Episode so far

• October 26, 2014 at 2:04 pmhiei

why does everyone bring up prisma ilya for nothing?

• October 26, 2014 at 8:53 pmMincemaker

I’m more impressed that Saber was able to battle breakdancing Berserker with a straight face.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:00 amlegwkio

Ufotable is unfair. Fsn:ubw is too good.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:38 amlivid

Ufotable leaves everyone in the dust.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:01 amJuan

Anyone else feel that this Berserker Design kinda pales in comparison to the previous ones? I don’t know about you but he seems a bit small as compared to the previous versions and not as intimidating.

I like the fact that they gave him more “fighting moves” though. It was a nice touch as opposed to the previous versions where he basically just swung at anything. He just doesn’t seem as intimidating as the previous versions and seemed less Show Spoiler ▼

• October 26, 2014 at 7:00 amkob264

His official height is 253 cm (8 ft 3.6 in). I think DEEN made him look taller.
      Ufotable redesigned Ilyasviel in a way where she looks a bit taller, so when we se her along Berserker, he doesn’t look as disproportionately big as he used to.
      Maybe the skin color was too redish.
      I think both incarnations missed Berserker’s roar, it would have been better had it sounded more humanlike, but louder at the same time, It sounded too similar to a lion.

• October 26, 2014 at 4:10 pmJuan

ty for the info.

and yeah maybe a bit too red in all other versions he was Grey so it gave off the Rock impression more. It’s a minor thing really and just about all of the character designs here in the adaptation seem more “rounded” even as compared to their F/Z adaptation.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:14 amRyan Ashfyre

Kickass things come in “small” packages?

*ahem*

Seriously though, I guess I can see where you’re coming from. Berserker’s previous designs had kind of a Juggernaut feel to them, compared to this one who, as you said, had a more human feel to him.

Not as intimidating though? I dunno ’bout you, but having a hulking mass of power come screaming through the air straight at you like a freakin’ missile seems plenty intimidating enough. Maybe that’s just me though? o__O

• October 26, 2014 at 10:22 amXellos

Especially if it moves as if it were on the Matrix.

• October 26, 2014 at 4:07 pmJuan

hahaha I just meant the original impressions. The Deen version and largely the VN version just made him seem like some immovable and impenetrable object. Just from the looks of him it seems like any attack would just be deflected.

I do like the touch of giving him combat moves though. In all the previous versions he just seemed to be swinging his rock sword wildly.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:08 amken

Is it just me, or is Saber way too good for her supposed stats under Shirou? It’s like she’s fighting at full power.

But…

THAT WAS AWESHOMME!!@*$&!#*%@(!!1

• October 27, 2014 at 1:37 pmDragoZERO

I believe if she were at full power, she would have had a much easier time dispensing Berserker. If you think she was strong in this episode, then just think about how strong she would be in Rin had summoned her instead of Shirou.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:14 amKirigiri

All I can say about this show is that ufotable has unlimited budget works, just look at that godly animation and superb fighting skills.
    And is it me or is that Rin’s design changed a little bit, which is a little better now.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:59 amboingman

It’s not only you. I didn’t see any of those weird “nose angles” that bothered me before. If the charadesign stays like in this episode, then I have nothing to complain about.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:33 amnexuszero

I finally realized Berserker’s true identity……..

• October 26, 2014 at 6:35 amdamrod

Did you mean the Show Spoiler ▼

when you asked about the weapon that archer shot at berserker Takaii?

• October 26, 2014 at 11:35 amTakaii

Yeah. I was trying to make a funny though since SAO is talking about Excalibur and Caliburn and stuff.

Also it was late haha.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:41 amnexuszero

as someone who has never played the vn but has seen all the type moon anime, can someone explain to me why both of berserker eyes are glowing red, I always assume one glows red,the other glow yellow.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:54 amPotato

No explanation has been given for that, I think it’s just for aesthetic purpose.
      Or you can say he’s been injected by ufotable’s budget.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:23 amnexuszero

Ok thanks, truly the ufotable budget does wonders to characters movements,allowing huge mass of muscles to even perform breakdance.
        In a perfect world, all anime are animated by ufotable.

• October 26, 2014 at 11:15 amHater

I can’t even begin to fathom how a world where all anime would be animated by Ufotable would be like. Heck, can you imagine Bleach, Naruto or One Piece with Ufotable animating the whole series? (Obviously isn’t possible, but think about it. I bet all the mangakas would cry to their death out of happiness that their work has been enhanced in all ways possible).

One can only dream, of a world where Ufotable truly have unlimited budget. Though I believe that would be a bit too “boring” because every anime would be too epic >.< Ufotable stands out because there are competitors for them to top. Still, I really would like to see how other series would be like if they were animated by Ufotable. What about Detective Conan? I wonder how would the studio handle that.

If they were to take charge of SAO, I'm pretty sure they'll be faithful, yet at the same time add in things to fill plotholes (as well as add in some actual MMO tactics like Log Horizon to flesh out the narrative). Every series would be so godlike that no one would ever work anymore and everyone just stays home watching anime. HAHAHAHA (I have gone insane)

• October 29, 2014 at 1:28 amGiorno Giovanna

Haters gonna…. declare their love of an animation studio?
        I’m with you on that though, I personally would like to see UFOtable One Piece.
        People would then finally take it seriously as the author intended as you say.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:49 amechykr

Saber grimaces at seeing Ilya, who says she’s an Einzbern.

Fate Zero relatedShow Spoiler ▼

In the VN, Rin and Ilya were only bystanders to the fight, so it makes sense for ufotable to have Rin having a go at Ilya in order to end the fight, as well as to showcase Ilya’s own alchemy skills.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:21 amEamonX

I don’t remember Ilya ever fighting or having the skills to fight for herself in the VN.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:25 amRyan Ashfyre

That’s cause it never happened in the VN. This was pure anime original, not that I’m complaining of course. ;D

• October 26, 2014 at 9:58 amkob264

Well in the VN she did once

Am I the only one who was rooting for her? XD

• October 26, 2014 at 8:50 amReylandAZ

I picked up on that part as well. A nice easter egg for those who watched Fate/Zero.

• October 26, 2014 at 2:08 pmhiei

you see, all the hommunculi looks the same so originally Saber never tough about this little girl, who look so young, to be same child and she never related her to Iri but this has to be changed now

• October 30, 2014 at 9:13 amAxe Armor

I’m late to this party, but I just wanted to point out that what Hiei’s saying is based on an official statement, so it’s canon unless this anime changes anything.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:01 amKF

• October 26, 2014 at 6:51 pmMincemaker

Firing tactical nuke out of a bow.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:23 amSlapthehole

• October 26, 2014 at 7:30 amJaredDrake

I find it sad that no one comments on the music. I like the themes for Saber, Archer, and Berserker. I got shivers.

Also, I swear to god… if the Show Spoiler ▼

theme doesn’t play…. I’ll kill someone, and they’ll stay dead.

• October 26, 2014 at 8:32 amRyan Ashfyre

It’s, arguably, the single most famous theme in the entire Fate franchise. The original VN had it as did the DEEN adaptation. Hell, even Prisma Illya had it!

ufotable has done everything as near to perfect as is possible thus far. For them to do, perhaps, the one thing that could screw it up is damn near incomprehensible to me.

I think the only serious question is what the new version will sound like.

• October 26, 2014 at 10:12 amace20a

Not as famous as Sword of Promised Victory it seems, seeing how it got into Fate/Zero but the other didn’t.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:31 pmRyan Ashfyre

@ace20a:

With all respect, that’s hardly a fair comparison as Sword of Promised Victory is Saber’s theme and she, of course, was present in Zero. Show Spoiler ▼

is, of course, Archer’s theme and he was obviously nowhere to be seen. To have it put in there just to have it there would’ve felt completely out of place.

Now, to be fair, one could argue that it could’ve been used in conjunction with Kiritsugu, but that would’ve still come off as rather forced, IMO.

• October 26, 2014 at 10:28 amXellos

I could swear I heard it faintly while Show Spoiler ▼

• October 26, 2014 at 1:24 pmdangreg

I felt the music was lacking. In the first half they repeated the same song like three times. And afterwards its just didnt have any impact. Comparing how they made the fight visually stunning, the music didnt live up for it.

• October 26, 2014 at 2:28 pmJaredDrake

I respectfully disagree. :P

I like the music they started playing for Berserker and Saber. It certainly fit them very well. Especially Saber’s as it added to the appeal when she utilized Strike Air against Show Spoiler ▼

Although, I do agree that they’re using the same themes over and over again. But hell, with Archer? I don’t mind. I’ve loved that track ever since the first we saw him.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:35 ambakumon

such an awsome episode and this wasnt even a finale battle just imagine a grand rendition of ufatables work on Show Spoiler ▼

• October 26, 2014 at 8:24 amNayrael

They are animating the Unlimited Blade Works route where the battle against Berserker went in a different direction so…

FSN 2006 spoilers:

Also, don’t look forward to battles that you have seen in the original Anime. After this point, all battles are exclusive to their own routes.

• October 30, 2014 at 10:16 amAxe Armor

Not quite true. The 2006 anime ducttaped a bunch of the fights from the UBW route onto the Fate route (That’s why it had such a shouneny, “boss-arc”-oriented pacing). Watchers of the 2006 anime will still see some familiar ground here (though, obviously, the ground will be much, much prettier).

• October 26, 2014 at 7:39 amBaKaYaRou

Just 1 word for this episode…

Epic

• October 26, 2014 at 7:44 amRyan Ashfyre

I’m not sure if it was intentional or not, but it’s kinda creepy how Archer would seem to be smiling almost exactly like Kirei. Just sayin’

Also, Illya…

Such a tragic heroine and an OP beast all rolled into one adorable package, Show Spoiler ▼

• October 27, 2014 at 3:36 amGiorno Giovanna

Regarding their similarities.

• October 27, 2014 at 9:06 pmRyan Ashfyre

• October 28, 2014 at 7:45 pmGiorno Giovanna

• October 26, 2014 at 7:47 amKentaiyoshimi

Worry not, Prisma Illya fans, you’ll get to see even more of Illya later on.

• October 26, 2014 at 2:13 pmhiei

ilya everywhere outside prisma ilya >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (infinite)>> ilya in prisma

• October 26, 2014 at 7:49 amlivid

One of the things that bugged me about FSN is that there’s no Illya route. But I guess I can’t really complain since there’s a boatload of spin-offs with her.

• October 26, 2014 at 8:07 ambakumon

haha. illya was plague by the same problem too so much so she turned into a huge monster but turned normal after some magical girl attack and realize even if she doest have her own route every body still loves her.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:56 amMaster Ruseman

Berserker can stop time so he’s Kiritsugu from the future.

Archer has that shit-eating grin just like kotomine so they are the same person.

Also Shinji is the blue man Lancer.

And Sakura is Rider.

And Rin is Caster.

• October 26, 2014 at 8:16 amJaredDrake

No, no, you’ve got it wrong. You’re an alternate version of Kotomine Kirei. Why? Because you’re a troll. :D

• October 26, 2014 at 8:15 amKanade

Oh, old buddy I see there!

Wanna see more of him soon.
    And my question remains open: when will that Archer get naked? 8D

• October 26, 2014 at 8:38 amXxVanitasXx

Ufotable. Taking my virginity with animation every Saturday. I mean, holy fucking shit. This episode was bloody incredible. The animation. BY GOD THE ANIMATION. My jaw was literally hitting the floor during the whole fight. Also all the feels when you see the nods towards Fate/Zero with Saber’s unspoken emotions towards Ilya and Ilya’s magic. WHY DO YOU DO THIS UFOTABLE. MY EMOTIONS.

• October 26, 2014 at 9:11 amPtolemaios00

The servant fight was awesome, but I was most excited from seeing Illya fight Rin. Her magecraft is just so nostalgic. I just love that each episode has little nods to Fate/Zero or to the Fate backstory if you know it.

Also…anyone find similarities in dese smirks

• October 26, 2014 at 9:47 amnexuszero

well…obviously archer is using the power of YUETSU!

• October 26, 2014 at 6:30 pmflCer

they both ate mapou tofu

• October 26, 2014 at 6:53 pmMincemaker

That thing is pure evil in a bowl.

• October 27, 2014 at 3:38 amGiorno Giovanna

• October 26, 2014 at 9:29 amNymbryxion

While this is miles better than Deen’s version with its unlimited budget works, I feel this version of the story they made it very spoileriffic or they assumed people already know the overall story or watched fate zero.

Such as Kirei is a villain and that the grail may not be as it seems this early, which I felt isn’t something that was shown so early in the VN and other versions.

• October 26, 2014 at 3:29 pmSK

Considering you have to play through Fate to even get the UBW route, you should already have some knowledge of both Kirei and the grail by this point in the VN.

• October 26, 2014 at 9:32 amLaughingMan

• October 26, 2014 at 9:34 amSeorori

One thing I was impressed since Episode 0-3 is that Ufotable draws out the different fighting styles of servants in Fate universe.
    Watching Archer’s sword-fighting and archery skills, Lancer’s beastly ability, Saber’s proud and solid swordsmanship and Berserker’s savage but agile fighting is very enjoyable. I’m looking forward to seeing how the rest of the servants fight as well. :)

• October 26, 2014 at 9:46 amdean

After two seasons of Fate/kaleid I really forgot how powerful, smart and psychotic Illya can be. Sabers reaction when she heard her name was also nice. Though I find Archers smirk a little bit strange, I can’t remember him having a sadistic or blood-thirsty side. Did he have one in the VN as well or was it something ufotable added?

• October 26, 2014 at 10:39 amdamrod

He probably smirked that way Show Spoiler ▼

• October 26, 2014 at 1:55 pmswa

Sounds quite on spot.

• October 27, 2014 at 10:14 amnyanlol

or because he, being the most independent servant, thought he could rid him and rin of saber (the biggest threat to them) despite rin’s orders and get away with it

• October 26, 2014 at 10:38 amxchyssa

Ufotable is amazing~ Godly animation all over.. especially the action scenes. I hope they will keep this up!

• October 26, 2014 at 10:45 amgecd

somewhat I dissapointed with this ep
    the BGM cant keep it up with the good animation

• October 26, 2014 at 11:20 amButterzBoy

Explosions…Explosions everywhere. Michael Bay approves

• October 27, 2014 at 12:46 ambayfomers#suck

F*** Michael Bay

• October 26, 2014 at 11:54 amlivid

• October 26, 2014 at 12:26 pm90dogs5

• October 26, 2014 at 12:43 pmMurasaki

Before this episode, I would’ve call UBW subtle but devastating. I take it all back this episode. DAMN, THOSE FIGHTS WERE EPIC. My boyfriend was fanboying over the godly graphics -seriously, they spared no expenses for UBW this time around- but dang, I was just really amazed by the battle between Saber and Archer teaming up (not quite sure if this is the correct term to use though?) to take down Berserker because man, Archer. GAR indeed; that was some kickass destructive power there.

The Rin/Illya battle really caught my eye though, because Illya really didn’t pull her punches when it came to demonstrating how awesomely terrifying she is. If she really put her mind to it, god knows the Illya-Berserker team could’ve taken down the rest of the Masters in a blink of an eye. Um, maybe not Gilgamesh though? That guy is an obvious gamebreaker.

• October 26, 2014 at 1:27 pmkob264

/ \
      | |
      F/Z Spoiles up there.

• October 26, 2014 at 7:53 pmMurasaki

Oooh, apologies. I came in on the assumption that almost everyone here has watched FZ. Will tag my spoilers next time, sorry!

• October 26, 2014 at 2:08 pmTakaii

Tagged the last paragraph just as a safe measure <3

• October 26, 2014 at 2:10 pmTakaii

Also about the F/Z part, I KNOWWWW. q_q

• October 26, 2014 at 2:41 pmStilts

I don’t know, on the F/Z part… Show Spoiler ▼

• October 26, 2014 at 2:47 pmTakaii

I’d like to believe whenever anyone sees Illya, Mahou Shoujo Illya appears at some point during their thought process.

• October 26, 2014 at 2:49 pmCrook

As to what Stilts said: Show Spoiler ▼

• October 26, 2014 at 6:33 pmflCer

in Episode 2 of Fate/Zero, Saber was watching Kiritsugu and Ilya playing around with their game of ‘finding the first bud of spring’.

With that in mind + Saber’s reaction when they first saw Ilya, it’s highly suggestive that Saber recognizes her.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:54 pmdaikama

@flCer: Not everyone here has watched FSN OR Fate Zero. Please put that stuff in spoiler tags just like Stilts & Crook did.

• October 26, 2014 at 1:11 pmdaikama

Yeesh. This is just ridiculous – as in ridiculously good. It’s like the budget for this show per episode is the same as what some shows get per season. I was impressed watching EP 00 and I remain impressed. Maybe more so since the quality level hasn’t dropped at all. Ufotable FTW.

While I think the action can stray into “over-the-top” (OTT) territory occasionally (e.g. “nuke” effect), it’s OTT that works in this case. You really do get a good understanding of just how overwhelmingly powerful these legendary servants are compared to normal people (consistent with the source material). Again, while I don’t hate FSN anime as much as some people seem to do, there’s just no comparison here when it comes to the action (and other things as well TBH).

And it’s not just the action scenes, but also attention to detail, overall execution, etc. The way Shiro was just shocked, dumbfounded, and scared watching Berserker (perfectly understandable), then slowly manages to somehow gather his courage and try to do something to help (character consistent) even though he wasn’t sure what that might be. There’s at least one other nice, subtle moment this episode if you watched (or read) Fate Zero.

There are other good shows this season, but for me UBW is just on an entirely different level – and I already know what’s going to happen. It’s the show I most look forward to watching so I usually do so first, but doing so before other shows doesn’t help them by comparison. It’s too early to start talking about AOTY or even AOTS, but again, see point about being on a different level than anything I’m watching this season, and frankly, pretty much watched this year. Ufotable et.al. is doing an outstanding job here IMO.

@Takaii: Even though he really wasn’t able to do much, you have to wonder how he knew to pull Saber away from Archer’s A-Class attack. Maybe it’s a sign that he has more abilities as a mage then he originally thought?

That was another moment I thought was done well. Clearly conveyed that Shirou has some latent raw talent, ability – whatever, which allowed him to understand the impending danger and react fast enough to help Saber.

• October 26, 2014 at 2:09 pmTakaii

@Daikama: Omg, tagging my name with an @ symbol makes it so much easier to find LOL.

I tried my best to keep things as spoiler free as possible but yeah, I think ufotable did a great job at getting certain points across without completely spelling it out for us.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:31 pmdaikama

@Takaii: I agree that they are doing a good job of making noticeable, yet not overly informative, “spoilerish” type foreshadowing moments. Frankly, things like certain character reactions come across as natural acts as much as “hints” of something deeper. It’s just a well produced, executed show (and the national GDP level budget doesn’t hurt either).

I think you’re doing a good job here with the spoiler stuff. Though I already know all three routes from the VN, I for one appreciate you taking extra precaution when posting your reviews (i.e. weapon names). I imagine it’s a bit more difficult to write for a show like this when you’re completely spoiled.

• October 26, 2014 at 3:21 pmPancakes

That about sums it up, whoever is funding UBW here must have pretty high predictions on how well it’s going to sell. Considering the top notch animation, I think those predictions are going to be well on the mark.

• October 26, 2014 at 5:14 pmBear

So UBW actually stands for Unlimited Budget Works. XD

• October 26, 2014 at 6:42 pmdaikama

@Pancakes: “… whoever is funding UBW here must have pretty high predictions on how well it’s going to sell. Considering the top notch animation, I think those predictions are going to be well on the mark.”

I’d be shocked if this didn’t make money from BD sales and whatnot (can’t wait to see what the BD version of this looks like). Correction – a lot of money. Kudos though to whoever is funding this for forking over enough cash to do an impressive production rather than something mediocre designed solely to milk the FSN money machine one more time (they do kind of do that anyway, but you get my point).

The sheer production values here are quickly making UBW the new anime standard for popcorn entertainment/blockbuster IMO.”

I wouldn’t label this as “popcorn entertainment” since the term can often have negative connotations (e.g. flashy OTT action but little depth/substance), but yeah, UBW is raising the bar here a lot. As I noted, it’s a dual edge sword for me because while I love the uber high production values when watching UBW, whatever I watch next just looks plain and dull by comparison – and that’s not entirely limited to actions oriented shows.

• October 26, 2014 at 2:25 pmBear

And that is one of the amazing things about this show. Even knowing what is coming I’m still excited to watch how it’s going to be portrayed and I get so caught up in the battles I’m in awe.

• October 26, 2014 at 3:42 pmWizard_Marshall

I’m a fan of Ilya too. Which is why Show Spoiler ▼

• October 26, 2014 at 3:45 pmGinobi47

This episode was like a drug for my inner Fate Fanboy. I had to watch it 3 times just to savor the sheer awesomeness of it all.

• October 26, 2014 at 6:57 pmcruiser2710

Sunday morning entertainment is back and with Unlimited Budget Works to boot.

I won’t say much about this episode since it’s pretty much said by all but….

“Why do I have to fight every Sunday morning… I just want to roll around with Mayu and Kuro…”

“Oh well… Since I’m already here…. Let’s get violently frisky with yuri!”
    “And Rin…. Would you give me back my onii-chan?”

• October 26, 2014 at 11:11 pmGinobi47

Its Miyu not Mayu

And I do agree with you. Sundays just got more awesome

• October 29, 2014 at 4:31 amKazakiri

Rather than rolling around with Miyu and Kuro, it would be more correct to say roll around with Illya and Miyu, since: This Illya is actually Kuro

• October 26, 2014 at 7:27 pmJuan

As much as I liked the little showdown between Rin and Illya in the episode it kinda makes me wonder about an event a little later on in the story.

• October 27, 2014 at 12:49 amWizard_Marshall

• October 26, 2014 at 8:31 pmCharonic

I thought Archer was one of the weakest servants stat-wise.

• October 27, 2014 at 7:58 amfragb85

That’s is correct. Archer’s stats are crap. His overall stats are the second worse of all the servants, just above Caster who has a very high magic stat anyway. What puts him on level ground with the others though, is that he fights with skill, planning and intelligence.

Basically, he is the Servant equivalent of Batman.

• October 28, 2014 at 10:48 amYanDaMan

More like the Archer class’s noble phantasms are always buster to the S+ or Ex level. Who needs stats like strength or agility when you can wipe everything out by literally chilling there.

• October 28, 2014 at 10:49 amYanDaMan

busted*

• October 26, 2014 at 10:24 pmwhatever

It is nice to see that they do care about little details here and there! Just look at the moment Ilya introduces herself to Rin, Shirou, and Saber. She even boldly remark that she is “Einsbern” in which Saber responded with such expression (and standing pose) that you know there was something going on before in fate/zero! Sadly, this doesn’t happen in fate/stay night >.<!

• October 27, 2014 at 12:07 ambakakubi

I know the Rin vs Illya fight is anime original, but as a VN reader

• October 27, 2014 at 3:05 amkoeix

Hence

• October 27, 2014 at 2:15 amgawrshness

Hmmm I don’t know how I felt about this iteration of Berserker. The old one was more intimidating on a personal opinion. The reason for that was because he was practically a WALL that just moved forward until you got crushed and Saber couldn’t even cut him. This new nimble and rather smarter Berserker that uses his fighting prowess more than just you know rampaging around is kinda different. Not necessarily in a bad way but hmm I don’t know.

• October 27, 2014 at 8:16 amYanDaMan

Im impressed at how this studio managed to make every event fresh and interesting even though most of us already knows the story or what will happen.

Ilya was never shown fighting before and I had no idea she was capable of such familar control like her mother, until now.

We all knew Berserker is overpowered as hell but this episode really highlighted it a step further. I’ve never even seen him pull such swag moves with his legs haha.

Hell this is only the beginning. I cant even imagine how epic the REAL highlight fights of the UBW story will be when animated.

• October 27, 2014 at 10:56 amhaseo0408

It was awesome to see Ilya use the same alchemy her mother used in Zero but still can´t win aganst her powers as magical girl!. XD

• October 27, 2014 at 1:01 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Man, such great subtle animation making Ilya look taller/more physically grown-up than she actually is.

• October 27, 2014 at 2:58 pmCherrie

I was actually surprised by how YOUNG she appeared in the original Fate/Stay Night. I just re-watched Fate/Zero and Illya is actually supposed to be 18 years old. She was born 8 years before the Fate/Zero war and since then, 10 years have passed. I think she looks like an 18-year-old should so I’m glad that they made her more mature. =)

• October 27, 2014 at 11:02 pmUngas123

Ilya is supposed to look like a kid. She had a stunted growth because

• October 28, 2014 at 10:45 amYanDaMan

You’d think Saber would’ve been smart enough to make the connection from her last name alone heh.

• October 30, 2014 at 7:08 amAnonymousperson

@Yandaman: But;
      -Saber knows the Einzberns practice in making homunculi and some tend to look practically identical
      -She never asked Show Spoiler ▼

-She should logically look older.
      So she assumes it’s just another. After all, if Saber has Show Spoiler ▼

then she would know that the Einzberns enter all of them.

• October 27, 2014 at 10:54 pmUngas123

Archer’s stat under Rin – one of the best magus

Physical Stats:
    Strength: D
    Mana: B
    Endurance: C
    Luck: E
    Agility: C
    Noble Phantasms:
    Kanshou & Bakuya – his favorite pair of disposable Yin Yang Swords
    Caladbolg II – actually, this is not an arrow or at least Ver.1. The reason it explodes is because Archer transformed it as a “Broken Phantasm”

Saber’s stats under Shirou – pathetic magus

Physical Stats
    Strength: B
    Mana: B
    Endurance: C
    Luck: B
    Agility: C

Noble Phantasms:
    Invisible Air – this is the air around Saber’s sword

Berserker’s stats under Ilya – h4x0rs

Physical Stats
    Strength: A+
    Mana: A
    Endurance: A
    Luck: B
    Agility: A

Noble Phantasms:

These are the stats of the 3 servants who fought this ep.

P.S. Archer had terribad stats as an Archer class servant while Saber had a levelled down stats (Kerry’s Saber had Str:B/Mana:A/End:A/Luck:D/Agi:A).

• October 29, 2014 at 1:20 pmElZenom

After 2 seasons of Lolillya and her magical friends I still can’t get over the fact that we’re now back into the Psycollya one. Like when she flick her hair to pull out two more familiars I actually thought she’s grabbing Ruby to transform