Gakkou Gurashi! – 06 »« Gakkou Gurashi! – 04

Gakkou Gurashi! – 05

「であい」 (Deai)
“Meeting”

Continuing on from last week’s episode, this week’s had a nice combination of happy-go-lucky moments with a pinch of complete despair and realization about just how bad things really are.

Girls Will Be Girls

Shifting the focus back to our favorite trio, things were a lot more light hearted than I thought it would be. While I had some reservations about them entering a mall full of zombies, they somehow managed to keep things pretty much under control while simultaneously taking care of all their needs. From food to general safety supplies, things were going so well that they even had time to go and try on some clothes! Which in retrospect was probably just as important as restocking their supplies since there’s more to life than just trying to survive, right?

Taroumaru Redux

As much as I love Taroumaru, I can’t help but feel that he’s going to end up dragging someone down into a really bad situation. Sure he may be quite intelligent for a puppy, but eventually all that leaping and barking is going to catch up to him and whoever happens to be around him.

Mii-kun’s Decision

After deciding to take matters into her own hands, I have to give some praise to Miki and the writers for finally breaking out of her shell. Instead of simply trying to survive, I loved how the show really demonstrated that she’s finally willing to risk it all in order to really “live”. And even if she isn’t 100% sure just what it means to “live” just yet, seeing her finally able to move forward was more than enough.

Looking Ahead

With the halfway point getting closer, it really feels like the training wheels have finally been taken off. Using this episode as the point of no return, the show wasted no time in really showing us just how grim the world really is. There were a ton of shots throughout the episode where we only saw three shadows when there should have been four, the zombies are all in focus now instead of being blurred out, and if I had to guess it looks like Yuki might have a better grasp on reality than what she shows.

In any case, I can’t wait for next week’s episode since it looks like this introduction arc is going to span one more episode and should hopefully focus on explaining everyone else’s feelings about Yuki’s PTSD. See you later!

Thanks for reading the post and I hope to catch you around for the rest of the season! On a side note, please refrain from posting spoilers in the comments. Not only are you ruining someone’s experiences, but because this is an adaptation, it’s possible you could be spreading misinformation! So, please abuse that spoiler tag and if you want to talk about anything related to this anime or if you wanted to ask me something specific, shoot me a tweet @rctakaii!

August 6, 2015 at 11:28 pm
  • August 7, 2015 at 1:02 amImpel Down Hippo

I thought maybe we’d see Kei among the zombies once Miki decided to leave, so I hope that means she made it out alive.

• August 7, 2015 at 1:31 amTakaii

Uhh..

• August 7, 2015 at 1:51 amofislacker

At the end of chapter 30

• August 7, 2015 at 2:12 amKuma Kuma

Pertaining Kei fate (massive spoiler):

• August 7, 2015 at 4:43 amStocke

The last image is misleading, she still has a chance

• August 8, 2015 at 5:52 amofislacker

The dog’s introduction in the anime and the manga differs, so there’s still the chance of a different outcome.

• August 7, 2015 at 2:23 amImpel Down Hippo

• August 8, 2015 at 10:56 pmImpel Down Hippo

Haha, that wasn’t a spoiler at all, just my reaction to the ominous implications of everyone posting spoilers to my OP (I didn’t peek!).

• August 7, 2015 at 1:08 amewok40k

LOL if the last movie shown in theater would be a zombie flick…
    is it possible that Yuki witnessed last moments of her beloved sensei?
    that would be probably the shock that tipped the scales and make her go insane…

• August 7, 2015 at 1:32 amTakaii

IIRC

• August 7, 2015 at 3:55 amAex

Sorry but Show Spoiler ▼

• August 7, 2015 at 4:06 amHanabira.Kage

Actually

• August 7, 2015 at 4:17 amAex

Ah, that’s right. Sorry, looks like I was the one confused lol >.<

• August 7, 2015 at 9:48 amWorldwideDepp

• August 8, 2015 at 1:08 amewok40k

MAJOR spoilers ahead! only read if you REALLY want to get spoiled about final fate of Megu-nee, Kurumi’s death flag, and possible source of outbreak

• August 9, 2015 at 2:11 amHalfDemonInuyasha

• August 7, 2015 at 2:33 amChar

That Kurumi death flag tho~

brace yourselves!

• August 7, 2015 at 4:43 amJekoJeko

It would be even more tragic if one of the other girls got bitten and Kurumi, after forcing someone to make that promise with her, couldn’t bring herself to do the deed.

I’m taking this as a death flag for everyone, for everything these girls have become used to.

• August 7, 2015 at 4:07 amAex

Lol if you think about it, the clothing store scene is so inappropriate for the situation but still fits so well. It’s like a nod that these aren’t girls that are already jaded beyond belief, they’re still very much teenagers with teenage minds. Love how this show continues to balance the gruesome and the absurdly cute so well.

They handled Yuki really well here, and it fits with how Miki is probably going to react to meeting a girl that is so obviously rejecting the reality around her, the reality that has made Miki and Kei suffer alone for months now. Though as we’ve seen, any cynicism is powerless in the face of the adorable Yuki!! She will make you smile or drive you nuts and then make you smile!

• August 7, 2015 at 4:40 amJekoJeko

Agreed, Miki really shone this week. She’s the opposite of Kei; rather than leaving a friend to escape the mall, the thing that drives her to escape is companionship, the desire for friendship and the club’s deliverance of it.

If only she could make amends with Taroumaru, who now both encapsulates everything she lost in the mall and everything she gained in adorable puppy form.

More of my thoughts here: https://unnecessaryexclamationmark.wordpress.com/2015/08/07/gakkou-gurashi-05/

Too bad the change in the OP pretty much confirms that Kei is now among those biting the dust – unless there’s another club in the habit of pulling people out of zombie-packed malls somewhere.

• August 7, 2015 at 6:46 amTeikun

Remember guys and gals, even if the world is crumbling around us, we must never forget the shopping. And the pretty clothes. And the swimsuits.

• August 7, 2015 at 9:44 amWorldwideDepp

Well, a Mal is a place where Food and Water is easier to find. And many Zombie Games, have an Mal market. A big Playground where you just can take what you want, right at the corner

• August 7, 2015 at 7:23 amTechim

Here’s some stuff for those interested:

- Kurumi full length (http://i.imgur.com/koCAxUt.jpg)
    - Fanservice GIF (http://i.imgur.com/h0l5wqM.gif)
    - Will Smith movie reference? (http://tinyurl.com/q98sqrl)

• August 7, 2015 at 8:25 amzztop

A recent poll shows Gakkou is the most popularly watched anime amongst the Japanese fandom(#1) and the #2 most popular anime amongst male viewers.

• August 7, 2015 at 8:31 amDvalinn

Haha, I really liked how ridiculous as well as completely fitting that clothes-shopping scene was. Because while on one side it seems like the height of stupidity to go trying on swimsuits in the middle of a mall full of man-eating corpses, but on the other hand, can you blame them? Just imagine what kind of a rare treat it is, to indulge in such a simple reminder of the life they used to have. I’d think you’d need something like that from time to time, simply to keep you sane.

And man, the zombies in this show are freakin’ me out. Because just like at school, the movement of the zombies is based on the lives they used to lead, so entering the mall’s easy because they’re all at work! But thinking about it the other way, that means they’re not completely braindead, which is the sole comfort you have when dealing with your regular zombie. There’s still something human about them, some part that still remembers, which turns the whole condition into a horrifying fate worse than death. It reminds me of the headcrab zombies from Half-Life (who say human words if you reverse their gurgles) and those creeped me the hell out too.

• August 7, 2015 at 9:46 amWorldwideDepp

Her unconscious are still Human. But seems like her conscious is erased out. Instincts are driving them

• August 7, 2015 at 9:49 amWorldwideDepp

Where you not wondering, walking half-sleeping to the work, as if your body knows the Way of its own?
        I think here is the same

• August 7, 2015 at 12:38 pmImpel Down Hippo

Def, you need to still do normal stuff like “trying on clothes” to keep yourself sane in that situation.

• August 7, 2015 at 4:45 pmhaseo0408

You know, I have a really bad fealing about the conversation between Kurumi and Yuuri, I just started to read the manga and I´m on chapter 14 but things could really bad in the blink of an eye, that´s the kind of happy place a zombie apocaliptic world is.

• August 7, 2015 at 7:30 pmGabriel

Damn! so many spoilers!

• August 8, 2015 at 10:59 pmImpel Down Hippo

I wish there were more comments talking about the show, rather than spoilers about what is going to/is supposed to happen. It’s like the GoT’s boards all over again!

• August 9, 2015 at 4:23 ambibotot

Great episode. I really enjoy it because of the zombie action.

• August 10, 2015 at 5:17 pmRuca