「Blue glass moon」
Build, build, build the tension toward the climax.
The Calm Before The Storm
I know what you want to say. “But Stilts! Didn’t we just have five episodes of calm before the storm? Also, you’re weirdly tall and smell like whiskey.” Good point. Also, I hate you and you’re rude. And whiskey smells delicious! Drink of the gods, I tells ya.
The last few episodes were certainly calm—or at least, not harrowing—but this is the calm right before the storm, when you can feel the rain coming, and know you don’t have long to get inside before you’re going to be soaked and/or electrocuted. Which goes to show how optional the past two episodes were, even if I would have been sad to do without episode five. (Episode four, not so much.) They foreshadowed whatever is going to happen to Miyu so much that, here when we have it foreshadowed one more time, it seems tiresome. Almost. What I like is that Illya doesn’t run away from the question this time. Here, at the last moment before the battle, Illya chooses not to ask, the same was Luvia makes the same choice. So it was foreshadowing, sure, but also progress. Even if you just know the storm is about to blow in, and it’s going to blow everything to hell.
Pool Party, House Party
No doubt they packed a little more comedy (and a few much-appreciated va-voom swimsuits, yowza!) in before we get to the Fate-style grimdark combat. All solid gags all around, though I did sigh when Sella rounded the corner, saw Illya and Kuro dripping wet (not that way, perverts), and … jumped straight to blaming Shirou, even though anyone with half an ounce of pattern recognition would know this is all Iri’s doing. On the other hand, Iri pulling out the Shirou gravure shots and dangling them in front of Luvia and Rin was magical. Always be trolling, Iri. Always be trolling! Though am I the only one who wants Kiritsugu to show up, just so Prisma|Iri can troll him too? There’s potential here, people. Maybe next season. (I don’t want to know if that happens or not, use spoiler tags.)
Looking Ahead – The Battle To Come
I know what you want to say. (Damn, you’re chatty today.) “Stilts! Why did you only do two quick sections and call it quits? You lazy, sexy sonofagun.” Well, thank you on both counts. And I stopped there because, A) Theorizing about Miyu’s dealio kind of loses some of its luster when there are so many manga readers who know exactly what’s going on (spoiler tags, dammit!), and when we’ve already spent all season wondering about it, and 2) Because it’s hard to talk about what’s coming up because I could spoil events for others with my half-cocked assumptions based off the other Fate universes. I mean, we all know who the 8th card is, right? Plus the preview practically screams, “There’s a hard time for Bazett coming up!”, which only cements it. The buildup episode did its job, not much else to say on that score.
About the most I could do is opine on whether I think Iri really doesn’t know anything about the cards or not, but I doubt she does (she doesn’t strike me as sociopath enough to lie to her daughters), so case closed. I’d rather just look at her in a bikini. Or better yet, join in. Liz was pretty much hired just to be Iri’s playmate, wasn’t she? Good work if you can get it. Lucky meido.
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – It’s a build up episode, with swimsuits, house parties, Miyu angst, Bazett failing at life, & a battle about to begin #prismaillya s3e6
- That’s not how breasts and water work, guys. I’m pretty sure. Come to think of it, I haven’t tried. Hmm… I guess I must try it out, FOR SCIENCE!
- There are so many maids being useless at this party. Get to work, Sella and Miyu! Useless maid of Liz’s job.
- “Is my meat not to your liking?” Shirou needs an adult, Shirou needs an adult! (He is an adult. Oh noes!)
- Rin’s plan: “[We’ll] engage it with max firepower and end it with the first strike!” In other words, the Nanoha Gambit. Full power, total destruction!
- Am I the only one that wants to see one of them become Berserker? That would be awesome! Girl abs for days.
- Oh, you’re the comforting character, are you, Ruby-chan? *slaps* Don’t @#%^ with us! We haven’t forgotten about what you did, Rubisenberg!
- Who noticed that Miyu is wearing that sheer number that Luvia got her, only with a shawl? Not me, because I’m not ecchi. *whistles*
- Awwwww, Luvia-san is a good onee-san for Miyu. It’s hard to remember that Luvia’s a good person when she spends so much time being horrible with Rin.
- The one good thing to come from episode four: They brought back the lion suit. Still overall a waste of time, but at least they salvaged one thing.
- Sorry Prisma Illya. You do a lot of things well, but you’ll never match UBW on Rin reaction faces. But I appreciate the effort.
My first novel, Wage Slave Rebellion, is available now. (More info—now available in paperback!) Sign up for my email list for a FREE sequel short story. Over at stephenwgee.com, the last four posts: Rejection, the secret place, & fundamentals, What are your two skills?, Passing the Bechdel Test, and Absence (from work) makes the heart grow fonder.
ED2: 「Wishing diary」 by Kouda Yumeha