Summer 2018 Schedule »« Winter 2018 Schedule

Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru
25:58 TBS (4/5)
Mahou Shoujo Site
25:55 TBS (4/6)
PERSONA5 the Animation
24:30 MX (4/7)
Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei Bu Happy Kiss!
25:35 TX (4/8)
Hoozuki no Reitetsu 2nd Season Sono Ni
25:00 MX (4/7)
LOST SONG
25:30 Netflix (4/7)
Legend: 3 1 5 3
3 2 5 Not covering

Now that every show has had several episodes to make its case, it’s time to tell you what we’ll be blogging this season. This is Random Curiosity’s Spring 2018 blogging schedule.

As always, this is a tentative overview of our plans for the new season . . . is what we used to say, but with multiple episodes under our belts, we’re pretty confident in our picks. Will some of them blow up in our faces? It’s happened before. This is what we’re going with for now.

In show news, we’re covering a totally bonkers 22 series, including 5 carry-overs. Perhaps that’s not surprising given how stacked this season is, but it took a hero effort from a certain writer named Stilts, who has an unusual amount of free time/masochism this season, to get to that number. (Also Choya is covering five, but one of his shows is monthly so I’m going to focus on my own ego thank you very much.) It’s a testament to how stacked this season is that there are still good shows left uncovered, but we did our best y’all.

In staff news, nothing much to report. Zaiden is taking it a bit easier than he was hoping for this season, but he’s helping to cap for a couple of shows, so you can credit more of that series count to him than it appears. Other than that, no news is good news. Special reminder that we’re leaving writer recruitment open in case anyone wants to get a jump on the next recruitment drive (which may happen soon… I’m not going to be able to blog five shows every season), so check out this previous schedule post for details. Because I’m too lazy to copy them over here.

That’s all I’ve got this time. Thanks as always for reading, and feel free to pop on over to our Discord channel if you’d like to chat outside of the usual posts. Let’s enjoy another season of anime together. Cheers!

April 26, 2018 at 6:13 pm
  • April 26, 2018 at 6:29 pmArsene

Tuesdays would be unbearable if Invisible Victory were moved from Friday’s.

Related: shame no one’s covering Lupin V. It’s quite possibly the best series of the six, and definitely one of the best shows in a season with some stiff competition.

• April 26, 2018 at 6:51 pmRenaSayers

Steins;Gate 0 = 25:00 SERIOUSLY!? Steins is at 1 AM on a work night? (Most American would call this Military time, but I call it normal time…)

• April 28, 2018 at 11:55 amLyfe

Plenty of people are awake at that time, and those that aren’t record.

• April 26, 2018 at 9:20 pmJeffers

Pretty good choices for cover. The only one that is not covered in my watchlist is hinamatsuri. And i give appluase for deciding to cover comic girls too! To me its among the gem for this season.

• April 26, 2018 at 10:15 pmzztop

Last Period’s worth watching, even if no one’s covering it.
    The latest episode was a meta parody of mobage crossover specials, which featured the characters of Higurashi no Naku no Koro Ni as high-ranked summons.
    (The source game was doing a crossover collaboration with Higurashi for that week.)

• April 26, 2018 at 11:48 pmStilts

Agreed. I’m enjoying it, it’s easy, fun watchin’.

• April 26, 2018 at 11:08 pmtombeet

Good choice overall, except… WHAT? Hinamatsuri isn’t covered? Well, you guys missed one of the most promising show this season.

• April 26, 2018 at 11:50 pmStilts

Several of us are watching it, it’s just that those who were thinking of blogging it didn’t have quite enough time to fit it in. I’m sure it’ll get a finale post.

• April 27, 2018 at 5:57 amPyon

Before it’s too late, or maybe it already is, but someone really needs to pick up Megalo Box. Obvious dark horse of the season, aside of other great shows featured. I’ve almost made my mistake ignoring this show, but now I am impatient for next episode not less than for new Hero Academia and S;G.

Glad to see Golden Kamuy getting coverage in last minute, thanks Passerby for taking this one. And big thanks to all writers for covering so many shows in a single season, spring looks very special this year both in anime industry and Random Curiosity.

• April 27, 2018 at 11:56 amStilts

It’s too late. It was considered, but the stars didn’t line up. We’re maxed out.

• April 27, 2018 at 3:26 pmPyon

Got it, spring has so much to offer this season that it’s understandable. Thanks for reply.

• April 27, 2018 at 6:23 amzeroyuki92

No Megalobox and Hinamatsuri made me a sad panda. I guess that’s why ep. 3 RC for Hinamatsuri never come :(

• April 27, 2018 at 8:21 amstarss

Lupin III isn’t being covered! Probably the biggest shock from this.

• April 27, 2018 at 11:58 amStilts

Not sure how that’s a shock, considering we didn’t intro this one. It’s probably a good show, Lupin has a pretty high floor, but we only occasionally jump back on board to blog long-running series we haven’t been covering. It’s rare, though.

• April 27, 2018 at 11:30 amCharkan

Aggretsuko. Sanrio new serie on Netflix. Hello Kitty type gets a Soul-Crushing Job.

• April 27, 2018 at 12:13 pmKinai

So, you have dropped Grancrest, havent you?

• April 28, 2018 at 12:58 amStilts

Aye. As I anticipated, too many better shows were premiering this season that wouldn’t have received coverage if I didn’t do ‘em. Plus I was starting to mostly rant at Grancrest Senki, and short of the occasional total trainwreck that everyone loves to hate (looking at you, Comet Lucifer), I prefer not to be the one to shit all over a story others enjoy. As I expect you do.

It’ll still get a finale post (barring any unexpected circumstances) though, and generally I’m able to look upon a series more charitably when I can talk about multiple episodes at a time + I don’t burn a couple of hours every week trying to find something to write about. Plus it could always improve (though I’m already a couple episodes behind, whoops).

• April 28, 2018 at 2:31 amzztop

@ Stilts : I suggest you catch up with Grancrest, given Ep 15′s plot developments on who plotted the deaths of the Archdukes.

• April 27, 2018 at 12:22 pmAex

Dropping Grancrest = good call, Stilts. I still watch it just cause I’m too far in to not know what happens, but it’s such a mess compared to pretty much any other show on right now.

• April 27, 2018 at 2:11 pmKinai

I disagree.

• April 28, 2018 at 12:59 amStilts

Like I said above, I’ll still try to give it a finale post at the end, but I checked out the 12th episode and it almost made me want to keep going … until partway through the episode, when it all fell apart again. It’s just too rushed … though I’ll talk about all that more when that finale post comes around.

• April 27, 2018 at 9:32 pmFlappy

Amanchu! not being covered…

SAD!
    Despite the positive press covfefe!
    M.R.C.G.A!

Jokes, love you guys and the work you put in.

• April 28, 2018 at 4:00 amLeBlah

Sad to see Tsubasa didn’t get picked up, given it’s so iconic, but then again, it’s so iconic maybe it doesn’t need coverage. I suppose the starts lined up when Enzo covered Area no Kishi, since soccer coverage is pretty non-existent here lol

Overall it’s not a bad list, though a couple of choices are…interesting. As an aside, I do have to wonder if people enjoy watching and covering SAO or if they feel obligated to because it’s SAO.

• April 28, 2018 at 11:48 amLyfe

I would imagine its because GGO is an interesting game world that was never fully realized in the main SAO series.

• April 28, 2018 at 1:06 pmStilts

GGO is being covered because Takaii is enjoying it and wanted to cover it. We pay some attention to view numbers, but focus #1 is always on what we want to write about. Otherwise the coverage would be bad.

• April 28, 2018 at 11:58 amLyfe

No Wixoss? Maybe Pancakes got replaced by his LRIG?

Good picks this season, and good job to those doing the heavy lifting.

• April 28, 2018 at 2:46 pmPancakes

Maybe, I couldn’t say :P

More seriously though I only have time to cover one show on Fridays, with the choice mostly coming down to a coin toss since I like Mahou Shoujo Site and Wixoss equally. Wixoss unfortunately came out the loser on that one. Going to try for an End Post though, the last couple of episodes have really upped the ante for this season’s psychological suffering.

• May 7, 2018 at 11:12 amKoby

Watching 15 shows this season (counting long running shows too), while RC is covering 8 of them. So about half. That’s pretty good. I suppose it’s more than I was expecting.

Of those 8 shows, the breakdown is: Passerby 2, Zaiden 2, Enzo 1, Stilts 2, Takaii 1.

Seems Pancakes and Choya are the only two without something I’m following this season.

Though, I would’ve liked seeing Devils Line and Caligua covered, but I understand why they’re not.

• May 12, 2018 at 10:11 pmzeroyuki92

> Saw a magnificent episode of Hinamatsuri
    > Keep refreshing Randomc expecting a post to show up
    > Finally remember that they didn’t cover it for whatever reason

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa