« Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These – Kaikou – 11

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These – Kaikou – 12 (END)

「死線(後編)」 (Shisen (kouhen))
“The Verge of Death (Part II)”

For once I think LotGH’s new adaptation actually disappointed me. Not because of any story hiccups mind you (it’s still advancing marvellously well), but because the bloody thing is cutting off just before the good stuff. Fleet battles, rightful Alliance comeuppance? Please, those familiar with this tale knows exactly what’s coming next. This finale was only the appetizer.

Considering how badly the FPA was treating the severity of mass invasion the past couple of weeks, it comes as no surprise their shoestring version was broken quickly and effectively. Unsupported supply lines were shut down with nary a loss, individual fleets were engaged separately with no chance of support, and what remained of Alliance forces in the end were organized in the laziest—i.e. worst—manner possible. It was the cherry on top for a series of disastrous decisions and while debatable whether the action was rushed too much, there’s no denying the Empire was always set to win this fight, in part because (as will become apparent later on) they have the better leadership. Reinhardt won not due to his personal genius (notice he never actually fought this time), but because he handpicked a group of subordinates capable of dealing with situations in a similar manner as him. Only when confronted with the likes of Yang did Reinhardt’s best meet their match, and even then it took some unlikely intervention for Yang to extract himself safely.

It’s going to take more than simple reorganization for the Alliance to come out victorious from this self-made predicament, and with their main leadership unwilling to take any sort of responsibility, the chance of such victory is rapidly disappearing. When the decisive battle finally occurs it’s going to take everything for Yang and friends to come out alive because one confident blondie will ensure the FPA never sets foot on Imperial territory again. Prepare thy selves boys and girls, Die Neue These’s sequel is going to be a doozy.

Final Impressions

There’s really only one thing to say in the aftermath of LotGH: wow. From an initial belief of potential train wreck and adaptation disaster the new LotGH wound up surprising in all the best ways, taking a large and frankly byzantine space opera story and converting it into a prime example of reboot done right. Characters were kept consistent, the story limited any trimming to the fat, and the philosophical bent gracing all of LotGH’s key developments were kept fully intact. It really was the best outcome possible.

Part of the reason LotGH worked so well was its tasteful adherence to the original. The voice acting of Reinhardt and Yang for example maintained the nostalgic feel viewers of the original vividly (read: zealously) remember, with Suzumura Kenichi’s Yang in particular capturing the lazy genius personality Tomiyama Kei was renowned for. Artwork of course will remain a bone of contention for years to come with no lack of examples for fans to tear apart (Reuenthal and Oberstein are my two biggest eyesores), but for newcomers there’s no denying it more than did the task. Just take the space battles: CGI or not, you have to admit it made for some pretty scenes fully in the mold of LotGH.

Where this adaptation paradoxically falls short though is in the story. Part of the charm of LotGH for many people is the nature of its story, it lavishes great amounts of time on secondary plots and minor characters who add a good deal of life to an already impressive tale. By limitation this reboot could never replicate what we got before, and while the essence of the original was wholly kept, much of the “flavouring” was left by the wayside. A good example of this is El Facil, whereas an entire episode was devoted to it before, a few passing scenes were all we got this time around—enough to indicate its importance, but nothing to properly reinforce it. Other moments such as Siegfried’s handling of rebellion and the FPA’s ultranationalists were similarly skirted over, leaving behind a story thematically complete and understandable for first time viewers, but one that can leave long-time fans begging for more. It’s certainly not a terrible downside considering how well Die Neue These nailed the primary storyline so far (and that’s nothing to scoff at considering some recent adaptations), but when certain future events and character details (ex. Rubinsky) make their appearance, the lack of some of this additional information will make its presence felt.

Overall considering where I started when coming into LotGH—i.e. fearing the worst—I’m very happy with this version all things considered. It may not be perfect or the simple “graphics remaster” a lot of fans were secretly hoping for, but as an introduction for modern audiences and advertisement for the franchise this version couldn’t have done better. While the upcoming movies will advance the story a good deal (but not all the way through should pacing remain the same), if you liked this I would firmly recommend giving the original a try too. It may be old, but as the original Star Wars trilogy shows in spades, some things never age, and when it comes to intelligent space opera there’s nothing in the world better than LotGH.

June 27, 2018 at 12:17 am
  • June 27, 2018 at 1:58 amKhalid

THIS was the last episode?! It didn’t give that vibe at all. There wasn’t even an announcement for the films or something. Damn I’m not ready to part with this remake. The films are sooo far away and we don’t know how much more of the story they will cover.

On another note that space dogfighting scene was incredibly done. I also LOVED the different planets the troops fight nearby, they make for a colorful variety of background and contribute to the staggering scale of the battles.

• June 27, 2018 at 3:22 amdanes256

The sequels would be in movie format. It has been announced. Pretty sure next sure the film would be released.

• June 27, 2018 at 3:23 amdanes256

I meant next year.

• June 27, 2018 at 2:50 pmPancakes

You’re not the only one, I was bummed they chose this point to cut off—it was just before things start getting serious! As for a sequel announcement I think they expected everyone to already be aware the show is set to continue on as movies and thus dispensed with any “surprise” reveal at the end.

Also fully agreed on the dogfights, it was a big step up compared to the original and shows where CGI can offer improvement over 2D animation. And the best part is this fight was only a taste, there’s some serious dogfights to come later :P

• June 27, 2018 at 4:50 pmFlippySirk

It also didn’t give that vibe for me but nonetheless if i can get a 2 hour action of this one then that would be good. Hope that they can consistently make good use of the CGI. Long live the Empire

• June 27, 2018 at 3:25 amdanes256

I was wondering if they decided to completely cut out Attenborough from the remake, but finally he made his appearance in this episode. The reason I was waiting for his appearance is because he would be an important character in the future.

• June 27, 2018 at 9:45 amKinai

If they want to tell the story, they can’t cut out Attenborough.

• June 27, 2018 at 2:53 pmPancakes

It would be hard cutting out Attenborough, much like Poplin he’s too important later on to simply remove. So far at least I don’t think they intend on any significant changes to the central story.

• June 27, 2018 at 11:43 pmravachol

Attenborough is actually the easiest character to cut out, at least until the later parts of the series. His prominent role in the first anime adaptation was a big modification from the original novels, where for the first half he’s seldom mentioned at all.

• June 27, 2018 at 6:30 amHenrietta Brix

Wait WHAT!

THAT’S IT? SERIOUSLY???

• June 27, 2018 at 9:40 amKinai

Oh no! There is a lot more. But they would need another 95 – 100 episodes. :P

• June 27, 2018 at 11:54 amdanes256

They decided to do the rest in the form of movie.

• June 27, 2018 at 12:29 pmLyfe

I’d imagine if the series & movies do well Prod I.G will do more.

• June 27, 2018 at 2:54 pmPancakes

For the first part unfortunately :P
      The next bit as mentioned comes in movie format, although like with Space Battleship Yamato’s remake it’s going to be one hell of a wait to see it.

• June 27, 2018 at 8:35 pmhaseo0408

But the wait will be worth it! This a rare spicies of a space opera where you can sit and watch 3 episodes of the characters debating about the pros and cons of ruling systems and never get bored of it, you know how difficult is to create that? let alone translate it into animation?. There a little bit of everything here, MASSIVE space battles, clever tactics, deep political discussions and a serious grey morality that would make you question the concept of good and evil of each side.

• June 27, 2018 at 8:47 amewok40k

Reinhardt got his wolfpack of subordinates, and moreover he has been given free hand in how to defeat the alliance, with none of the higher-ups meddling.
    Alliance has made wrong man commander in chief, and furthermore placed otherwise capable commanders in fatally flawed positions.
    And I am now going to have a go at the original series.
    If only because I want to know – and not by spoilers – how the big battle at Starzone Amritsar will go…

• June 28, 2018 at 9:09 amThe suffocated

I still remember how I managed, in the video game LoGH V, to annihilate almost the entire Imperial Force in their counter attack. Knowing that they would disperse their fleets to perform one-on-one attacks, I made an emergent regrouping, and ordered every two or three Alliance fleets to meet one Imperial fleet. As a result, multiple envelopments occurred in different star systems simultaneously, but this time the Battle of Dagon rather than the Battle of Astate was repeated — on a very large scale. At the end, only Reinhardt and Kircheis were able to withdraw. I guess by default, they couldn’t be killed at this stage. Although only two Imperial fleets escaped in this round, the game still followed the original story and the Alliance Force was surrounded by a huge Imperial Force in Amritsar in next round.

• June 27, 2018 at 8:52 amMagnus Tancred

Reminds me of Dien Bien Phu, where the French artillery commander committed suicide (by hand grenade) after failing to come up with effective counter-battery fire against the Viet Minh’s concealed artillery positions.

Pointy-haired boss. :X

• June 27, 2018 at 9:08 amKinai

Is the end? Apart from the films, it feels as if they need another episode to stop in an adequate point. IMO.

• June 27, 2018 at 2:59 pmPancakes

I’m surprised they chose this point to cut off too, but considering what comes after it might make some sense if they intend on fleshing out the fallout. We’ll just have to wait and see.

• June 28, 2018 at 2:25 amKinai

They had to have finished after the Battle of Amritzar. You could continue the story perfectly after it. Here they had cut the climax. :(

The adaptation has been very good until now but the two last episodes have been rushed too much. X(

• June 27, 2018 at 12:31 pmLyfe

This show made me wish someone would pick Banner of the Stars up again, even if its a remake with better visuals project. Come on Sunrise.

• June 27, 2018 at 2:34 pmMistic

Seconded. And Crest of the Stars too, if possible!

• June 27, 2018 at 3:01 pmPancakes

Now there’s a franchise that would benefit from a similar reboot, if just for more pointy eared space elves. One can hope XD

• June 28, 2018 at 2:27 amKinai

I think that I read a manga remake four months ago.

I wanted to watch the anime, but I didnt like the visual style. :(

• June 28, 2018 at 8:11 amThe suffocated

I think it’s more important for the author to finish the novel first.

• June 27, 2018 at 12:49 pmRei

Are the ratings in japan okay? I’m not sure which site I could check this from tbh. I wish they remake the whole thing, but I suppose the ppl in japan would have to care enough…

• June 27, 2018 at 3:05 pmPancakes

Considering the rest is coming as a set of movies the rest will be remade, but it will take some time. I imagine they chose a single TV season to renew interest and gauge the market which the movies can then take advantage of.

• June 27, 2018 at 1:30 pmDexa

The episode was nicely done, though it’s a shame they’re going for a movie continuation rather than another season…

One thing that’s been bugging me: is there only one woman in the entire FPA military?

• June 27, 2018 at 3:14 pmPancakes

Nope there’s definitely more than one woman, but IIRC most are positioned in lower ranks and only a few have similar status as Frederica (thus we never see them). The Empire is another matter entirely and I seriously hope they’ll touch on it in the movies. If you know of Admiral Daala from Star Wars EU it’s a similar situation.

• June 29, 2018 at 3:11 pmSherris

Their military forces are pretty sexist. XP I get the impression Frederica got so far only because her dad is in the army.

• June 27, 2018 at 11:05 pmrandomlurker

ok, I’m interested now, If I want to jump into the old 100 episode ova, where do I have to start to contine what we left off here?

• June 27, 2018 at 11:14 pmMk

Start from the beginning. Watch the prequel manga view 1st then ep 1 of the ova.

• June 27, 2018 at 11:16 pmMk

That came out wrong somehow, meant to say movie not manga! Anyway, My conquest and then Overture.

• June 28, 2018 at 5:34 pmUrizithar

In the middle of episode 15. But I would watch from begining if I were you.

• June 27, 2018 at 11:12 pmMk

“good example of this is El Facil, whereas an entire episode was devoted to it before, ”

Not until the Gaiden side stories, though. It, along with the rest of Yangs backstory, was only briefly mentioned in the main OVA.

• June 29, 2018 at 3:13 pmSherris

Miyano sounded outright evil in this episode. I can’t root for him now.