Kimetsu no Yaiba – 14 »« Kimetsu no Yaiba – 11

Kimetsu no Yaiba – 12

「猪は牙を剥き、善逸は眠る」 (Inoshishi wa Kiba o Muki, Zenitsu wa Nemuru)
“The Boar Bares its Fangs, Zenitsu Sleeps”

The great thing about this show is that is keeps me on the edge of my seat. Last week was a riot. While many of you didn’t enjoy the banter and loud obnoxious wails coming from Zenitsu, I was entertained. Loud, yes. Annoying, yes. But definitely different. I’m used to watching gore centric shows that become so heavy, they drag your mood down. But this show is balancing the perfect mix between humour and darker themes. Adding Zenitsu to the mix just reinforces that idea for me.

It took every ounce of me not to read up on his character. Tremendous power emerges from him as a result of his split personality. What is this Thunderclap and Flash? I’m itching to uncover the trauma behind his darker side. Cowardice makes up his outer shell while bravery and strength make up the part of him that is lodged deep in his psyche. How in the world did this happen? What kind of event triggered such a horrible and twisted fate? And how can he not remember? Shoichi can’t possibly hold onto this secret for long… Can he?

On the other hand, we have Boarhead Boy. He’s wild and ready to attack anything that gets in his way. Tanjirou will have a difficult time adjusting to his impulses, if he does at all. Boarhead Boy’s absolute disregard for human life is making me wonder if he’s human at all. If so, what happened in his past that caused him to lose his humanity? Why show no remorse after stepping all over little Teruko?

It’s really difficult for me to wrap my head around Nezuko, Tanjirou and these two new additions working together but I guess somewhere, somehow, they’ll learn to. Also, Zenitsu’s power hints to something a little larger: elemental techniques. Will he teach Tanjirou to master fire techniques? Could Tanjirou be the next Avatar of their world? His sword might have turned black for this reason. Returning to Nezuko though. Is she sleeping this battle out? If she does decide to get in on the fun, she’s definitely going to have a difficult time making her way around.

This house is reminiscent of Harry Potter’s Triwizard Maze. You’re never too sure what you’ll encounter at the next corner. Demons lurk in every nook and cranny but the most fearsome of all is the excommunicated 6th Kizuki demon, Kyogai, who controls the spaces he’s in using tsuzumi drums embedded in his body. However, he loses one of his drums to Teruko and Shoichi’s kidnapped older brother Kiyoshi. Tanjirou finds Kiyoshi because his blood has a peculiar scent. He then discovers Kiyoshi is a marechi: a human with such rare blood it’s a delicacy. Eating this human is the same as intaking a hundred humans and Kyogai plans on killing him to save face with Kibutsuji.

I’m really excited to see this arc move forward but not because I’m impatient. On the contrary, the series’ pacing has been more than satisfactory. I admire the time it takes to get through each arc. It gives me time to enjoy the artwork, the soundtrack, the characters, but even more it builds anticipation for the adventure we know is coming.

June 27, 2019 at 7:45 pm
  • June 27, 2019 at 10:11 pmArchaon The Everchosen

Actualy there a good reason why Nezuko still in her box: It still day time, so she can’t get out due to the sun, plus she have to sleep to recover her strength from the last battle.

Regarding Zenitsu, since the anime lack a narrator to explain Zenitsu sleep mode like in the manga:

• June 28, 2019 at 1:44 amewok40k

I am glad Zenitsu is useful after all, his “crouching coward, hidden badass” theme is mice surprise. The BoarBoy apparently is self-taught deamonhunter – possibly working outside the Corps or, seeking to gain their acceptance by becoming more powerful and defeating strong daemons.
    Note that techniques are conveniently codenamed for easy recognition: Tanjirou uses Water theme, Zenitsu Thunder and Boarboy, unsurprisingly, Beast-themed.

• June 28, 2019 at 1:55 amruicarlov

Leave it to ufotable when it comes to animating their special techniques. Tanjirou’s water moves are always nice to see, but Zenitsu’s move was amazingly done.

• June 28, 2019 at 2:06 amRandomLurker

friendship ended with water breathing, lightning breathing is my new best friend

• June 28, 2019 at 6:13 amChisel

Disappointed with the title. Thought it would be ‘Zenitsu Sleeps….forever’. Also how dare that boar loser step on the loli, off with his boar head!

Really liked Zenitsu badass moment this episode though. Despite my gripes with Zenitsu, he’s still 10x better than the loud asshole that is the boar guy from what we’ve seen so far. Never a fan of mean, brash characters.

• June 28, 2019 at 6:34 amMei

Zenitsu doesn’t have a split personality. His sleeping state is just his normal self with all the fear and insecurity removed.

• June 28, 2019 at 3:56 pmdefunkt_bots

the combination of animation and music in Zenitsu’s sleep sceen was amazing.

the motes of dust floating in the light around him.

and his utter reversion after cutting that demon a new breathing hole was hillarious.

so dumb but so amazing!