RADWIMPS – Order Made PV

More likely than not, you’ve probably never heard of this group before. RADWIMPS is a rock band consisting of four musicians who are apparently all fans of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. They got their unusual name when they combined the English words of rad and wimp – their official website even defines this as “excellent weakling” and “superlative coward”. In any case, they’ve been steadily growing in popularity, and this past week, they had their first Number 1 single on the Oricon charts, beating out even the release of Koda Kumi‘s latest single. And it’s for good reason too because Order Made is a great song. The lyrics (translation here) are about love and putting together the different parts of a person, and unlike some PVs, this one actually tells the lyrics like a story. Put together, I found it to be beautiful, and the part about tears even reminded me of the series true tears. I liked it so much that I’ve been scrambling to find more of RADWIMPS’ music, and Order Made has been on repeat on my playlist for several days now. Even if you don’t like J-Rock songs, I’d recommend at least listening to this one.

The Order Made single was released on January 23rd, 2008

January 28, 2008 at 6:52 am
  • January 28, 2008 at 7:21 amyomax

First? O.o BTW. I like j-rock/j-pop (The Back Horn,Orange Range etc.) but this is just…Sorry but i can’t find the best for it. I don’t like it.

• January 28, 2008 at 7:53 amrev

it’s been a really long time i’ve seen a true poem in a song

fabulous stuff omni

• January 28, 2008 at 7:58 amdward

Interesting song.

• January 28, 2008 at 9:16 amwav

Personally, I absolutely loved this song. Will definitely check out their other releases now =). Thanks!

• January 28, 2008 at 9:30 amShippoyasha

Pretty nice, though a bit too mellow for my tastes. I can’t believe so many top songs in Japan are the mellow type. There’s a dozen more catchy songs I can name easy.

• January 28, 2008 at 9:46 amTari

Heh, I love mellow music, so I rather enjoyed this song. =P

Not something I’d personally scramble for, but I can understand why people like it. I might add it to my playlist in a bit.

Heh. Who’d have thought that my first comment would be in response to a music video?

• January 28, 2008 at 9:56 amayumi

the little boy in the clip is cute >

• January 28, 2008 at 10:26 amPsychotic EwA

I love this song.

Somewhat soothing and nice :P

• January 28, 2008 at 10:28 amkeywin

wat in the world is a ‘rad’?

• January 28, 2008 at 10:32 amEpyon

Great song, great lyrics. A real masterpiece. Loved it:)

• January 28, 2008 at 11:42 amFat Cat Lim

Great find Omni. The song lyrics and PV are wonderful and thoughtful.

• January 28, 2008 at 11:57 amregt

sounds more jpop than jrock. sounds too much like asian kung generation near the end.
    i cant believe bands like alice nine and kagrra dont get much exposure to the mainstream world.

• January 28, 2008 at 1:55 pmKon

RADWIMPS Order Made PV = Honey&Clover OP + Supercar Wonder Word PV

• January 28, 2008 at 2:17 pmTari

Actually, yeah, it sounds more like J-Pop than rock, though that short sequence at the end is rock. Perhaps soft J-Rock? Does that even exist?

• January 28, 2008 at 2:48 pmHei

this beat Koda Kumi?
    i don’t see how

• January 28, 2008 at 3:19 pmMisty

The song by itself is eh, but when you read the lyrics the song just grows on you. Now i can’t get it out of my head.

• January 28, 2008 at 3:20 pmanonimus

It doesn’t really grow on you unless you understand/know the lyrics

• January 28, 2008 at 3:32 pmSensei-kun

aah, now I want to eat a sandwich

but putting that aside for now… xD
    I like the song, I downloaded the 2 clips I found on youtube before watching them.
    the first video was the song with only the lyrics, so not the PV

I already kinda liked the song, but when I watched the clip with it I’m sure to be playing that video for a while now ^_^

and I love the lyrics, they should make more PVs like this, maybe then I’ll download more of them ^_^

• January 28, 2008 at 3:38 pmWoebitz

What are those clocks called in the opening of the music video? Is there a specific name for those types of clocks with the flipping numbers?

• January 28, 2008 at 3:57 pmvexx

I like all sorts of music from metal to folk ballad and mainstream to avant garde. I’ve been a bit lacking for new j-groups to discover, will definitely have to look up more of their music (if only to see the RHCP influences).

Nice poetry, nice sound composition, sing-able. As far as the video goes… nice spin on the “whole person” and oye.. the little boy and the young lady were cute.

• January 28, 2008 at 3:58 pmvexx

@Woebitz: those are digital clocks… that’s what they used to look like before LED and other forms of electronic display became cheap enough for the average household. I’d forgotten all about them til that video, heh…. I love obsolete technology.

• January 28, 2008 at 4:56 pmSuzaku-hater

thats crazy you should mention that, Im living in Japan and I have seen that video a lot on mtv, and I reall like it. . .now if only I new what they were syaing in the “be free” video . . .I just see a lot of weird stuff going on (mainly some school girl fighting a ninja with a chainsaw) that video is seriously like wtf. . .

• January 28, 2008 at 5:03 pmHeiae

Wow. Excellent song. I want to hear more of them now.

I liked the little climax near the end. Displaced all of the softspokenness a bit.

• January 28, 2008 at 5:15 pmTotali

Holy crap this was awesome! I was moved by the video, and the lyrics were just awesome. I think I’m gonna search for more of these guys’ stuff too now… :3

• January 28, 2008 at 5:25 pmomchan

The song is okay… it might take me a couple more listens for it to grow on me. But personally, I still prefer their earlier release of セツナレンサ. :)

• January 28, 2008 at 5:52 pmBROOKLYN otaku

@keywin “rad” i’m hoping they mean rad, like totally awsome, rad radical, uknow surfer talk….they got a pretty good sound ,thanks for the lyrics.

• January 28, 2008 at 6:00 pmAndi

well to be honest it couldn’t have been that difficult to beat out koda kumi…no one in their right mind would buy her new single when money whoring avex is putting out her new album with the single track on it the next week….

anyways when i first saw a clip of this on msta i thought no way would i like it…that guy’s hat kinda turned me off…but thanks for suggesting listening to it, i actually really like it!

• January 28, 2008 at 7:39 pmSue

omg i watched that PV a few days ago. i was so excited that they released a new single, I loove the RADWIMPS. I have been listening to that song so much the past few days and i never got tired of it! oo i love the lyrics!! and this is so great! first Number 1 single on the Oricon charts! yess >

• January 28, 2008 at 9:59 pmOrderMadePV

crap song

crap PV

hate the guy’s voice

hate they guy’s fashion style

Seriously i prefer いさじ of nicovideo singing idiotic trash song (such as やらないか) more than this jpop song. I don’t like most of jpop, in the past few years, only two jpop songs (by male artists) caught my attention, one is Konayuki by Remioromen, the other is Sakura by Kobukuro. All other are forgettable because they don’t suit my taste.

• January 28, 2008 at 10:14 pmOrderMadePV

just read the translation of the lyric, it’s very good

but the melody is crap

• January 29, 2008 at 12:21 amSiesta

Yeah!great to see you blog one of the RADWIMPS songs!I’ve been a fan of them since last year.

• January 29, 2008 at 12:25 amMaimeDaifuku

Awesome song. I like!

• January 29, 2008 at 12:51 amnutsy

juz ok i guess…

but the girl’s sooo cute…i demand a name!!! lol

• January 29, 2008 at 1:45 amklo_net

For some reason now I really want to eat a sandwich xDD
    I don’t know what peploe are keep bashing about, the song is truly amazing and is good to see that music in Japan is not only about Koda Kumi and L’arc’Ciel…

• January 29, 2008 at 1:55 amRemi

This song is beautiful, specially the lyrics, a masterpiece ^^

• January 29, 2008 at 2:15 ammiden

great song..

• January 29, 2008 at 3:19 amNano

I suppose it was rather lovely.

• January 29, 2008 at 6:21 amkwoe

that was shit. wow, so bad. how did this beat anything on oricon?

• January 29, 2008 at 6:55 pmKureejii

The PV itself reminds me of the MV for the Malajubes. It’s really slow and calming.
    I like it ^^

• January 29, 2008 at 7:44 pmCh0colate

lol nice slow song, i dunno, kinda reminds me of jay chou’s music.
    Well I think at the end was cool when it got all fast, It was pretty
    boring for the first few minutes…

• January 29, 2008 at 8:12 pmcc

XD I love Radwimps! I’ve never seen any of their PVS before this though @_@ I have a few of their albums I’m planning to upload =o I could let you know when they’re up, though not all of their songs are mellow like this one XD’

• January 29, 2008 at 10:42 pmlialiakicks

I watched the video first and ten I read the lyrics. It’s an adorable song. But I have to wonder- who was he talking to? God…? O_o

• January 30, 2008 at 1:58 amAce

Hello,

If you are interested for more song of them :

• January 30, 2008 at 7:51 amNyanyan

This is the first time I ever heard of RADWIMPS. The lyrics are super great! Not all jpop are bad.. take a listen to GReeeeN for instance. Their song Ai Uta rocks! XD

• January 31, 2008 at 4:12 pmFunny08

I thought this song was a bit slow at first but having listened to it for a few times its really grown on me and now its stuck in my head lol but it is a great song ^-^.

• February 1, 2008 at 10:12 pmMEE

aww the little boy in the blue is soo cuteee! :D

• February 12, 2008 at 9:59 pmGabbie

May I just say:
    I LOVE the RADWIMPS.
    Actually, I guess it’s more like an obsession.
    I first heard about them a little over a year ago and I’ve watched their popularity steadily grow since then.
    I love this song and PV just as much as their other stuff and for all the people who think they’re boring or that they shouldn’t be getting as much notoriety as they are, I want them to go listen to some of their other stuff and try telling me that RAD isn’t extraordinary. They’re not pop and so I’m sure all the Koda Kumi fans were really put out by Koda’s being “beat out” by a bunch of “nobodies”, but I honestly believe RAD deserves everything they get and more.

• February 19, 2008 at 8:12 amNosaj

Hi. If you want to see many more Radwimps videos please vist my Youtube channel. I have 8 or 9 more videos posted all good quality.

Enjoy!

• February 27, 2008 at 2:16 amrettuhcs0

Ah, J-rock, getting better and better.
    Still, it’s gonna take a few more injections of cyberpunk-Nippon-ness into the British Invasion to truly get an internationally-awesome J-Rock band.

• February 27, 2008 at 2:19 amrettuhcs0

Listening to it a second time, I really like the lyrics but the instrumental stuff is very rudimentary… doesn’t feel like its own thing at all. Somebody who speaks better Japanese than I do, go and tell them to find more instruments and find a way to speak to the dead so that Keith Moon can give their percussionist a few tips.

• August 21, 2009 at 1:20 amVivi10

I’ve been a crazy fan of Radwimps since two years ago and honestly, I love this song. I have to admit though, when I first listened to it, I just ‘liked’ it, cuz I thought that the melody was, well, like some ppl said in the comments, boring.

But the real beauty of the song lies in the meaning of the lyrics. Maybe it’s too mellow for one of those hardcore punk-goers (not that I’m trying to diss them or anything), but it’s fine to become soft and bittersweet from time to time.

Check out Radwimp’s Arutokoroni No Teiri album if you haven’t yet. They’re awesome and if you’re looking for a variety in their song that’s harder and faster than Ordermade, I’d suggest you check out Oshakashama and One Man Live.

• March 22, 2010 at 2:48 pmAcylia

@Vivi10

Not to bring up an old, old post. I was just looking through, and I found this. I absolutely LOVE Radwimps now, and Arutokoroni no Teiri is probably the best (or second-best) album by them. :) Oshakashama is absolutely awesome, and I can’t stop singing the lyrics over and over again.